PDA

View Full Version : Wild Tau

Bregalad
14-06-2006, 15:11
Looking at the miniature range of Starship Trooper (http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/home/series.php?qsSeries=26) , I stumbled over the new alien race of Skinnies. They resemble a bit the Tau, only with bad teeth ;) , but you can fix that. They have an aggressive and slightly barbaric look, so might represent the technologically retarded Tau Sept of D'yanoi (cf. Codex).

Have a look at the minis:

The last pic might be Stealth Suits. Add some Kroot from the Mercenary list or Forge World plus some slightly modified Tanks and XVs. And you get a nice flavoured variant of a Tau Army.

Lord Malchion
14-06-2006, 15:14
Very interest miniatures to conversion this Sept (Dayonai?)

Overlord Krycis
14-06-2006, 15:22
The body armour reminds me of what the Interex from Horus Rising would look like...
Could be converted to Tau though.

Sephiroth
14-06-2006, 15:25
Um... I suppose they could represent the Tau Fire Caste... except their tall and skinny where the Fire Caste are short and stocky, and that the Skinnies have horns, feet, etc.

Oh, and their not technologically retarded - their simply pragmatic.

Bregalad
14-06-2006, 15:31
Here are some additional models for this:
An alternative Fire Warrior Shas'el, an Earth Caste Work Droid, an alternative Stealth suit (resembling the old XV15), a Stealth Suit Shas'el, and a Stealth Suit commander (compare Shadowsun, slightly oversized model). All models from Infinity: http://www.infinitythegame.com/ .

Lord Malchion
14-06-2006, 15:33
Humm the models to fusilers to Panoceanic is very nice Conversions to gueve'sa troopers?

And the skiniies tau o other mercenary race?

Bregalad
14-06-2006, 15:39
And here, as a reminder, some Kroot (and one Fire Warrior), even a Kroot Broadside equivalent ;)

UnRiggable
14-06-2006, 15:40
some look more like eldar than tau, although I gotta say that the second from the left (post #5) is almost indistinguishable to the noob's eye. Looks pretty sweet.

the spook
14-06-2006, 16:42
I like the crab thing from the oceana stuff - i could see using that for something....

rcm2216
14-06-2006, 16:48
maybe the tau are playing with DNA as well, what stops the techie tau from doing the geneseed thing.

UnRiggable
14-06-2006, 17:00
that would be wierd, like green tau's. That crab would make a cool fossil doodad/scenery thingy

Warjammer
14-06-2006, 18:37
I would love to see more playable drones variants. I am sure that you have all seen these conversions. But I would like to see more from GW or FW.

Dyrnwyn
14-06-2006, 19:59
Actually Bregalad, I already use the Oceania Armored Cavalry as my Shas'o. I also use Guijia, from the same line, to represent Broadsides. Come to think of it, those models get to run double duty as Broadsides & Shas'o, and also as my Inquisitor warband.

Khaine's Messenger
14-06-2006, 20:42
They resemble a bit the Tau, only with bad teeth

Heh. You should see them burn in the book or get brain-leached in the series...rather sad, really.

the technologically retarded Tau Sept of D'yanoi (cf. Codex).

The Tau Empire appears to trend towards a very homogenous tech-base when it comes to the Tau worlds of the Empire (one of the things that sets them apart from the Imperium), so I'm not entirely sure that would work no matter how regressed any one world would be. But it would look cool, I suppose.

Bregalad
14-06-2006, 22:51
The Tau Empire appears to trend towards a very homogenous tech-base when it comes to the Tau worlds of the Empire (one of the things that sets them apart from the Imperium), so I'm not entirely sure that would work no matter how regressed any one world would be.

The Tau Empire is not homogenous, but rather decentralised, representing the Tau's more tolerant style of organising an empire. In the "Tau Empire" Codex, the D'yanoi Sept is explicitly described as having fallen back to a lower tech level, and the low tech level of the Kroot and Vespid is also without doubt. Not to speak of the technological isolated Farsight enclave.

On the other side, the Starship Trooper minis are not barbaric in style, just do not look as sophisticated technological as the mainstream Tau Firewarriors.

Overlord Krycis
14-06-2006, 23:22
Wouldn't "lower tech level" by Tau standards, still be better than Imperial Tech?
Just curious...

Toppan
15-06-2006, 02:02
the armor looks ok, the heads and feet look...horrid
i think they do look more like eldar more than tau, and i still think people dont convert tau enough. i see ideas, but no pics.

Isoroku
15-06-2006, 02:18
Humm interesant miniatures, and the slaves to skinnis anuncied to july is very adition to Guevesa warrior o LToD to Chaos

UnRiggable
15-06-2006, 02:50
what parts are used for that drone spider conversion? that is a pretty cool model right there.

Khaine's Messenger
15-06-2006, 06:06
The Tau Empire is not homogenous, but rather decentralised, representing the Tau's more tolerant style of organising an empire.

My bad...I meant more homogenous than the Imperium, where one world uses antigrav devices because wheels are the devil and the next world over has nary an antigrav device to be found. :)

Bregalad
15-06-2006, 09:49
what parts are used for that drone spider conversion? that is a pretty cool model right there.

Apart from the obvious Drone and weapon parts the conversion uses Tomb Spyder legs.

UnRiggable
16-06-2006, 18:31
Ah, thanks, see If i could get my hands on one of those...