PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer Quest : Mission To complete

artfultodger2k
19-03-2014, 22:17
The Background:-
So its 1991, we have gone to visit family friends and I've been informed its an overnight stay. I'm 7 years old so typically I go unprepared with no form of entertainment brought from home......... I turn up to 3 children about my age eagerly awaiting the arrival of their new friend, so I'm instantly dragged off upstairs to join in a game of HeroQuest. This was my first encounter with a dungeon crawl game, an RPG and citadel miniatures all rolled into one. The figures weren't painted, and the eldest boy took the role of the GM. I didn't have a clue what was going on and the fact we were all so young probably didn't help to make for a great game ( pretty sure we didn't play by the rules ha ha ) however, it still got me interested enough to request that should my Mum see this game at any second hand shops or boot sales that she visited regularly, to pick me up a copy. She never found one and soon I forgot about it, for a while at least...........
Fast forward a little bit to late summer 1994. I moved house to a new area recently, made a new friend a few doors down, I'm at his house one day and i see his room for the first time. He shares it with his brother and I see a desk with some shelves displaying a few miniatures, and a load of paints and Warhammer games. I sit and study them for a while, and over the coming weeks I start talking to the older brother more and more, turns out he is willing to sell me a few duplicate paints he has laying around and a couple of miniatures he didn't want, so i go hand out to Mum, she respects my decision to want to purchase these items and hands over the cash,( god help her if she didn't, I could be a little **** for sure! )
I paint the figures (pretty badly ) and eventually I go to games workshop for the first time armed with birthday and Christmas money that probably should of been for driving lessons 8 years from now but who cares I'm barely 10 years old. I buy loads of stuff on this first visit and subsequent visits after that, including but not limited to :-
Warhammer 40k (not long been revamped so was the main feature they were selling at the time when I visited )
White dwarf every month for 2 years
almost every undead figure for Warhammer fantasy at the time, things like the Lichemaster, vampire lords, hundreds of various skeletons mummies ghouls ghosts horsemen chariots you name it, I had them.
almost every special character for the dark angels and blood angels (but strangely i never had any vehicles, don't know why they didn't interest me )
almost every paint available including washes inks and glazes. I loved those hexagon paints and even more so the round pots before those that i had bought a few of from that friend.
I bought Codexs, supplements Add-ons, basically anything and everything I wanted to paint. despite all this, I never actually played a proper game of Warhammer fantasy or 40k. I had a few beginner games at games workshop on various occasions and with a few friends if i could rope them in, but just never really got into the gaming side of it. Anyway, whilst amassing this mighty mountain of armies to paint i never really found much time to paint them. most of it only ever got undercoated, bits and pieces might of had a base coat now and again and a poor attempt at some highlights, but the number of actually completed models probably stood at about less than 30 models out of several hundred. This pains me even to this day that i never took the time to finish hardly anything which brings me to Warhammer Quest. The one thing I had really wanted but didn't yet have was Warhammer Quest. This was advertised massively in white dwarf and in stores when it was released and I wanted it. so I got it, along with a lot of the add on character packs, and supplements as they got released. never finished a single model from this collection, and I was most ashamed of this, as i did actually manage to rope some friends into playing it with me a few times properly, unlike the other games. I really enjoyed it, and i should of been playing with finished miniatures. anyhow, as I hit my teens Warhammer was not a cool way to get girlfriends, and i promptly turned my attention to this aspect of life instead. so...... the painful bit. in a moment of madness, I know a guy whos stepdad collects war games stuff, but hes also an ebay seller, so I donate everything I have to him. absolutely everything, except one goblin I had finished to my best standard. ( not sure if i still have this but will try and dig it out if I can? )
no idea what he did with it, but I'm still in touch with said gentlemen, and will ask him next time I see him, but i suspect it was ebayed on the most part, as his personal interest i later find out is historic military battles. anyway lets not talk about that anymore .................
so, last time I painted a model was 1999. The year WQ was discontinued I later find out.

Mission 1:- Find WQ
I'm now 28 and still pissed off i never finished that WQ set, I don't know what prompted me exactly to look it up again after all this time but i did, and what i found out really amazed me. the price of brand new sealed versions of the game were going for between 180 and 400 on selling sites. although i didn't see many, i did see the one for 180 come and go, and i actually emailed a question about the item, but by the time i clicked send, the add had disappeared, and buy it now had been used by somebody to snap it up before i had chance. I wasn't that gutted at the time as i hadn't done my research too thoroughly and didn't realize it was a bargain. So, after a month of looking for a copy to no avail at a decent price ( i figured the game was 50 when new, i wasn't gonna pay more than 100 for a perfect copy now) so during my search i stumble upon HeroQuest. this brings back memories and i buy a copy for 40 in decent condition. 1 Fimir has his axe snapped, and 1 skeleton has his scythe snapped. the weapon rack needed gluing at one end and 1 dice was missing, but other than that it was near perfect. TBH, I wasn't too fussed about HeroQuest, my only thinking was the minis would be useful for when i got a copy of WQ and it would be an easier version of the game to start out should I ever wish to actually play a game . anyway i also picked up a used copy of black reach, which I had one intention for, practicing my paintwork in preparation for my main objective. after all its been years since I've picked up a paintbrush, and I was crap then, so how bad was i gonna be now ?
so my stuff arrived, and I log on one day I see a WQ set has been listed 5 minutes ago. I instantly email the seller upon realizing it was basically in as good as condition as I could hope for from a 15 year old game. it goes something like
" please do a deal with me I beg you, how much to buy it now?"
" ermmm, I think I'll let the auction run as i have no idea of its value. good luck
" please please please sell it to me, I'll give you 100 Paypal today right now"
silence........
morning comes.......
"deal"
he removes the listing and drives 30 miles to deliver. what a gent i thought. i asked him how much he paid, he said a tenner from the local charity shop, no wonder he was so happy but you know what i don't begrudge him, because he wasn't greedy, he could of held out and got double what i paid him but he helped me out and i got a bargain....... or so it turned out this was a pristine example of the game. in better condition than i could of imagined!!! pictures will show what a well cared for set this is.

Cuchulain84
19-03-2014, 23:03
Great story, and it's almost the same one you see time and time again on forums like these. We've all done it seemingly. Ditched the models to get girls then get all misty eyed about a misspent youth and back we go :)

That sounds bloody jammy to get a mint copy for 100. I got mine for 60 but that was about 10 years ago and it was far from mint, you can't get a decent character pack for that these days. Don't even look at the price of the expansions! :O

I'm on a similar quest myself if you fancy checking it out :) (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?391169-Cuchulain-s-party-like-it-s-1995-project-log-%28WHQ-Blood-Bowl-Necromunda%29)

Anyway looking forward to seeing your progress!

S_A_T_S
19-03-2014, 23:10
Epic tale. Amazed you were so lucky to find a decent copy, but my god, I would never have been allowed in a shop again if I'd spent that much money when I was a kid, especially if I didn't actually use it ;-)

WHQ is awesome, as you can play it as a board game that has potential to be something more, which makes it appealing to casual and more involved players. I think it's the most accessible GW has made, and a great choice to start tabletop games.

I recommend Photobucket to store your photos for linking to here. It's free, pretty simple and provides the link codes next to each photo. Also, the Warseer photo function is pretty crappy. Can't wait to see your stuff!

artfultodger2k
19-03-2014, 23:34
http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/DSC_0019_zps1739be0b.jpg

artfultodger2k
20-03-2014, 00:17
Epic tale. Amazed you were so lucky to find a decent copy, but my god, I would never have been allowed in a shop again if I'd spent that much money when I was a kid, especially if I didn't actually use it ;-)

WHQ is awesome, as you can play it as a board game that has potential to be something more, which makes it appealing to casual and more involved players. I think it's the most accessible GW has made, and a great choice to start tabletop games.

I recommend Photobucket to store your photos for linking to here. It's free, pretty simple and provides the link codes next to each photo. Also, the Warseer photo function is pretty crappy. Can't wait to see your stuff!

I'm dying to post pics but it keeps saying my post has to be moderated before it will show....... :(

S_A_T_S
20-03-2014, 00:43
Hmmm, might be because you have less than 10 total posts. Plenty of WHQ stuff in this sub-forum to comment on ;-)

artfultodger2k
20-03-2014, 02:37
Maybe your right....... i will add the pics in later.....

artfultodger2k
20-03-2014, 02:49
http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/DSC_0016_zps8a392a44.jpg
http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/DSC_0012_zpsbae8aa0c.jpg
http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/DSC_0013_zpsdfcab1cb.jpg
http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/DSC_0014_zpsfdedf046.jpg
http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/DSC_0015_zps76ce20f2.jpg
http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/DSC_0022_zpsa54b9b1d.jpg
Still got the quality control ticket, original booklets, and some HQ furniture thrown In!
http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/DSC_0021_zpsf5492667.jpg
Cards have homemade plastic cello tape bands to keep them tidy....
http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/DSC_0023_zps29c93765.jpg
cardboard insert to keep the figures and tokens neat and tidy. By previous owner

Lardidar
20-03-2014, 09:07
That is a thing of beauty!

I am just in the process of ditching all my 40k, fantasy as I have become disenchanted with Games Workshop and no longer find the space or time to play the flagship titles. I am going to be starting up my loves of my youth (Quest, Bloodbowl and Necromunda) as well as a few games from 'lesser' companies. I will be following this closely.

I too got rid of my Quest set when I was 15/16 (both expansions, think I got less the 30 for the lot) and now at 31 I practically weep at the prospect of rebuying, I think I may go a different route and build it from scratch.

Good luck and I can't wait to see more.

talion
20-03-2014, 11:01
I've always found it difficult to throw away items from my youth - hence why my attic has the original STAR WARS figures, He-Man and the fairly rare D&D toys.

I also am a proud owner of Warhammer Quest, and all the expansions and Warriors - in various states of painting but all played with (not trying to rub it in).

I did throw out my Space Hulk, Heroquest and Space Crusade which I regret, but still retain my 2nd Edition Talisman and all the expansions.

It's always good to see someone get a bargain for something they love and judging by the pictures the guy buying from the Charity shop had it for a steal, and you have had it for a very good price.

artfultodger2k
20-03-2014, 14:25
That is a thing of beauty!

I am just in the process of ditching all my 40k, fantasy as I have become disenchanted with Games Workshop and no longer find the space or time to play the flagship titles. I am going to be starting up my loves of my youth (Quest, Bloodbowl and Necromunda) as well as a few games from 'lesser' companies. I will be following this closely.

I too got rid of my Quest set when I was 15/16 (both expansions, think I got less the 30 for the lot) and now at 31 I practically weep at the prospect of rebuying, I think I may go a different route and build it from scratch.

Good luck and I can't wait to see more.

After reading about some of the scratch built sets on here I did consider doing the same, but I needed to stay a bit realistic with my skills, free time, and most importantly my inability to finish anything! Some of the custom dungeons I've seen are really inspiring but one step at a time for me..... And unless your very savvy with your material finding i think the cost would probably stretch far further than just buying a set. I look forward to seeing your set come together and hope you post about it!

artfultodger2k
24-03-2014, 16:23
Mission 2:- Start Painting

After taking those photos, I needed to make a start on some painting. First thing I was gonna need is some paints..........so, after being out of the game for so long, a lot had changed. Citadel had gone through 2 new paint ranges, meaning I was completely out of touch. After doing some Tinterweb research, I discovered Coat D'Arms. For those who don't know, these paints are manufactured by the original Citadel supplier HMG paints. It seemed logical I should go for a set of these as they work out about half the price of citadel paints (18 ml a pot instead of 12ml a pot too).

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/DSC_0029_zps515c9ee2.jpg

I ordered the full set and they arrived relatively quickly, I'll talk more about the paints in detail later but next I needed some sort of storage system for the paint. Shopped around, couldn't find anything to hold that many paints in a small enough space for less than 60 delivered. **** that I thought, so off I went to B&Q.

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/DSC_0055_zps40706763.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/DSC_0058_zps309f631c.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/DSC_0060_zps012b36e5.jpg

Now I'm no craftsman, and this is a ROUGH job haha, but still better than working out of boxes I think?

Of course this all meant I could start some actual painting, and as I stated originally, I needed some practice, so I've been scouring the internet for painting guides tips tutorials, trouble is that most of these guides are written for GW paints or vallejo, which I have trouble in translating through into Coat d'arms. mainly because I don't know what the colours are suppose to look like having never owned the new paint sets....... anyway, I'm sure I will work it out.........

Lardidar
24-03-2014, 22:03
Excellent job on that rack ... I bought the back2basex set and it cost a fortune shipped from Australia, kind of regret it now.

As for paint guides just go on roughly shade. Snot green is a mid tone, scorpion is a bright green. Thats how I do it ... it also helps to understand color when you're not using names to go by, the way you have the paints set up is great as you can see the pigment and not the name.

Also that stand next to your desk is awesome!

Cuchulain84
24-03-2014, 23:15
Very nice! Good call on the coat 'darms paints too. I've never used them but I've heard they are exactly the same as the old citadel ones. Wish I would have thought of that...

artfultodger2k
24-03-2014, 23:19
Excellent job on that rack ... I bought the back2basex set and it cost a fortune shipped from Australia, kind of regret it now.
As for paint guides just go on roughly shade. Snot green is a mid tone, scorpion is a bright green. Thats how I do it ... it also helps to understand color when you're not using names to go by, the way you have the paints set up is great as you can see the pigment and not the name.

Also that stand next to your desk is awesome!

Thanks for the kind words Lardidar. :) I think I saw those racks on Ebay but you're right, shipping is as much as the racks themselves! I'm pleased with how my home made version turned out, in hindsight there are a few things I would of done differently but hey ho, it does its job for now! Regarding paint colours, all I really need to do is go to a GW shop for the day armed with my paints and match them up to the current GW paint range as near as dammit. At least this way when a guide says use "seraphim sepia" or "agrax earthshade" I'll actually have a clue if they are talking about a red a blue or a green haha. At the moment I've been relying on the GW website to get a general idea of its colour from the swatch they provide, but sometimes its difficult to tell what colour it actually is on a laptop screen compared to real life. For now I'm using the coat d'arms websites triads listing for suggestions of colours to be used together. You can see for yourself in my next update how that has worked out........

The stand next to my desk is quirky, I like it too, unfortunately its pretty unloved at my house, hence why its ended up in my hobby room along with all the other 'unwanted by the missus' pieces of furniture :) It does come in handy for standing models on to photograph though!

artfultodger2k
25-03-2014, 16:03
Very nice! Good call on the coat 'darms paints too. I've never used them but I've heard they are exactly the same as the old citadel ones. Wish I would have thought of that...

Thanks Cuchulain84. They do seem to be as I remember the old citadel paints with a few minor tweaks, the whole set cost me 265 and seems to contain everything I'm going to need. Probably the fantasy range of 77 paints would have been enough but as a lazy painter (mostly using the paints straight from the bottle unless absolutely necessary to thin down) I wanted to be able to paint most shades and highlights without mixing colours. I am of course aware that this technique is not going to win me a Golden Demon competition but, I'm still learning so no doubt as my confidence and abilities (hopefully) improve I will need to stop taking shortcuts.

Anyway, my first practice piece is a Space Marine from the Black Reach set. I hate painting Space Marines and this rapidly came back to me during the painting process!

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/DSC_0071_zps779447a5.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/DSC_0073_zpsd8e1d400.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/DSC_0074_zps608b428b.jpg

So.............. all in all it didn't come out brilliant! Ha ha never mind it was just to get me in the swing of things and at least I've set myself a nice low benchmark to improve on! I did learn some lessons from this;-
Invest in a finer detail brush for edge highlighting
Don't try and do everything in 1 coat
Don't fully assemble a model before painting (It came pre-glued second hand)
Don't just paint a gun silver and expect it to look good.

artfultodger2k
27-03-2014, 02:20
After my initial Space Marine I then made a start on another 8 of them. I figured I wasn't going to learn many new skills just painting those so got them to about half done before leaving them to finish off during drying time on some other models.

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/DSC_0086_zpsebe03355.jpg

Next up were the 2 broken HQ mini's, the Fimir and Skeleton Warrior.

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/DSC_0062_zps04a4f059.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/DSC_0067_zpsb66a92ca.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/DSC_0079_zps0f6e4a19.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/DSC_0081_zps83abf691.jpg

All good practice...... so I finished the Skeletons......

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/DSC_0082_zpsa76894cd.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/DSC_0085_zpsd5a30bb3.jpg

Getting better but still need a bit more practice........

Shas'El Tael
03-04-2014, 05:34
So hideously jealous of that painting set up - travelling presently, but that would so work for me when I stay put next time :D

artfultodger2k
23-04-2014, 20:19
I have been a very busy boy this month, and got plenty to update you on!
First up, here are some pictures of the stuff I've been painting........

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/DSC_0101_zpsb9dc22be.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/DSC_0103_zpsa5257648.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/DSC_0104_zps6a589a98.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/DSC_0106_zpse7e26d96.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/DSC_0107_zpsd8302cf1.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/DSC_0109_zps5d641b39.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/DSC_0110_zpsab7cbca8.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/DSC_0111_zps0a2e35b4.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/DSC_0112_zps07530396.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/DSC_0113_zps65b07ebf.jpg

artfultodger2k
23-04-2014, 20:20
http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/DSC_0115_zpsa7ee60e1.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/DSC_0116_zpsd3228c89.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/DSC_0117_zps4c36b601.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/DSC_0121_zpsa7dc9513.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/DSC_0123_zpsefedabf0.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/DSC_0127_zpsa6dde745.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/DSC_0129_zps12e7aa09.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/DSC_0133_zps43bf9d4f.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/DSC_0151_zps3815969e.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/DSC_0157_zps58457dba.jpg

artfultodger2k
25-04-2014, 02:29
I'm still a bit unsure how to paint faces very well, especially eyes. Ive left the barbarian blank faced for now until i get some tips :)
As for the monsters, I was generally pleased with how they turned out. It surprised me how poor some of the details were on the heroquest figures compared to models these days, in particular the boots on pretty much all of the monsters had no detail at all on them, so i just did the best i could! The camera flash doesn't exactly bring out the best in these figures, however, I will try to take daylight photos from now on.

Please let me know what i can improve on with my painting, I can take a bit of criticism !

The other 3 heroes from HQ are half done ( the bottom pic shows my inspiration for the colours) as you can see in the photos, couple more bits of furniture, and its the whole set done in less than 2 months!

Hopefully my next update will include the first few figures from WQ. Ive got the rats and bats primed ready to start on first, so any tips on painting those will be greatly appreciated also. Got to up my painting game a little bit now im gonna be starting the proper set :)

twchdyn
26-04-2014, 16:28
Making great progress.

Your paintings coming on great, couple of tips. Try using inks more and avoid drybrushing. Use a couple of different ink tones and they will really help to pick out the recess and show off the raised areas. then go back and pick out some edges and raised areas with your base colours, then just tickle the edges with a highlight. The more shades you use the smoother they will look. The only criticism i would make and its not much of one is it looks like your paint might be a bit on the thick side, aim for the consistency of full fat milk and build up coats, you will find that using the paint thinner helps smooth out your highlights too.

Keep at it its great to see your progress.

artfultodger2k
26-04-2014, 20:42
Making great progress.

Your paintings coming on great, couple of tips. Try using inks more and avoid drybrushing. Use a couple of different ink tones and they will really help to pick out the recess and show off the raised areas. then go back and pick out some edges and raised areas with your base colours, then just tickle the edges with a highlight. The more shades you use the smoother they will look. The only criticism i would make and its not much of one is it looks like your paint might be a bit on the thick side, aim for the consistency of full fat milk and build up coats, you will find that using the paint thinner helps smooth out your highlights too.

Keep at it its great to see your progress.

You are absolutely correct, I do use my paint straight from the pot lid usually! My usual painting steps are : prime > basecoat > super wash or ink wash > heavy drybrush > edge highlight.

I usually thin my paint a tiny bit when edge highlighting but thats the only time.......... i guess i thought i could get away with it but il try to stop being lazy!
Do you think i would get better results by using a thin layer of paint rather than heavy drybrushing it for the first highlight?

thanks for the help twchdyn :)

twchdyn
29-04-2014, 09:30
Just try without the drybrushing and spend a couple of extra minutes on the highlights. I know its tempting to give things a quick tickle with the drybrush. I promise once you get used to using your paint thin and building up colours it will take your painting to the next level. :yes:

artfultodger2k
02-05-2014, 16:47
I did the space marine and BloodThirster without dry brushing ^_^ didn't think they turned out as good but probably because I need more practice and thinner paint like you said..... maybe the photos say different but I don't know I find it hard to judge my own work!

In other news, this project might of become just a tiny little bit out of hand already......although my original missions still stand I have added some additional stuff to the list:
1. Obtain an original copy of Warhammer Quest.
2. Practice on Black Reach + HeroQuest minis/furniture. the latter to be used in games of WQ eventually.
3. Paint Warhammer Quest base game minis.
4. Obtain Monster Table Level 1-10 minis.
5. Obtain Lair of the Orc Lord and Catacombs of Terror.
6. Obtain All additional character packs
7. Obtain extras such as Deathblow/White dwarf rules and minis to go with.
8. PAINT THAT **** UP!

Haha wish me luck, I know this is no easy task to say the least but I have gone ahead and made a substantial start on gathering all this stuff together. my rough timescales at the minute are to have the core set finished by end of October at the latest, and the monster level tables obtained by Christmas. I'll post some pics of the stuff I have been buying soon.

Ive finished HQ now and can post some pics of the finished lot when I get round to taking some more, but I think you all pretty much got the idea. I have now made a start on painting the WQ base set and I'm currently halfway through all 12 rats.
Artful.

Daemonslave
03-05-2014, 17:25
Good luck with that list, especially number 3.

Another thing you need to do though, is 9 - Build your own 3d dungeon - it's the in thing - all us cool kids are doing it!

artfultodger2k
03-05-2014, 21:02
Good luck with that list, especially number 3.

Another thing you need to do though, is 9 - Build your own 3d dungeon - it's the in thing - all us cool kids are doing it!

HAHA, whats one more to the list eh?

Geoh
04-05-2014, 13:53
Your list is similar to mine. Altho I've painted my base game minis. Good luck. I will be following your progress.

artfultodger2k
04-05-2014, 23:32
Here are some rat pictures :-

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/DSC_0213_zpsc7e0f13a.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/DSC_0211_zps26042469.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/DSC_0212_zpsbf01c396.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/DSC_0210_zps9bffaf49.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/DSC_0195_zps32c0093b.jpg

I am going to need to decide on some bases soon, nothing really looks finished without them! anyone know of any cheap resin ones??? Aside from finishing the rats, and making a start on a couple of bats, I have mainly been buying up miniatures like crazy. I'm only missing 2 entries from the 1st level on the monster table (some are stand-ins like Mantic Orcs in place of Savage Orcs, and Mantic skeletons etc..) and Overall I probably now have about 50% of the models needed for all 10 Levels. The ones that I have left to collect are all the expensive ones like Dragons and Greater Daemons. So in money terms I've probably spent about 30% of the total spend needed. Not Cool, cause let me tell you, it has cost a small fortune even to get this far with cheap stand-ins ( as many of you will probably know!!!)
Thats all for now
-Artful

natsirtm
08-05-2014, 16:05
For bases for my WHQ stuff (http://gwpertinent.blogspot.ca/search/label/WHQ) I just use cheap washers with some business cards cut up to make shattered stones and a bit of sand. Painted grey and drybrushed and then a touch of green flock.
I do the same for my WHQ characters but I use proper bases for them. A bit of additional height to make them more obvious.

artfultodger2k
08-05-2014, 21:58
For bases for my WHQ stuff (http://gwpertinent.blogspot.ca/search/label/WHQ) I just use cheap washers with some business cards cut up to make shattered stones and a bit of sand. Painted grey and drybrushed and then a touch of green flock.
I do the same for my WHQ characters but I use proper bases for them. A bit of additional height to make them more obvious.

thanks for the idea natsirtm, I will give that a go and see what it comes out like ^_^ nice page btw! I thought my mission was pretty tough, without thorough reading yet, it seems like your collecting everything for every game, not just WHQ lol. great stuff!

twchdyn
09-05-2014, 11:36
Have a crack at casting your own. Its really easy and you will never run out. Get a pot of rtv silicone from ebay for your moulds. You dont really need expensive polyurethane resin for bases. I use polyester resin for mine. My dungeon bases mould has 8 bases on and it takes about 20 minutes for the resin to cure, so its quick too. Cost wise it works out less than 5p per base.

artfultodger2k
09-05-2014, 15:20
Have a crack at casting your own. Its really easy and you will never run out. Get a pot of rtv silicone from ebay for your moulds. You dont really need expensive polyurethane resin for bases. I use polyester resin for mine. My dungeon bases mould has 8 bases on and it takes about 20 minutes for the resin to cure, so its quick too. Cost wise it works out less than 5p per base.

have just had a look on ebay at the stuff you suggested. I didnt see much of a price difference between polyurethane and polyester kits, whats the difference? I know very little about casting anything, never seen it or tried it ( having said that I did used to use fibreglass resin to repair motorhomes in a previous job, but that was 10 years ago lol ) gonna have to do alot of research on this! thanks for the distraction twchdyn :-D

Andy_T
10-05-2014, 07:58
This is cool! How di you make the paint rack? Did you drill all those holes? its really good!

artfultodger2k
10-05-2014, 12:48
This is cool! How di you make the paint rack? Did you drill all those holes? its really good!

Thanks Andy! Yes i drilled all the holes with a circular drill bit. because its cheap MDF, I had to drill half way through and turn it over and go from the other side to stop it from ripping bits off. Ended up sticking 2 bits of wood together, which meant I drilled 600 holes!

Andy_T
10-05-2014, 15:33
Wow! Top drilling skills- worth the effort as result is excellent :)

Andy T's Necromunda Plog (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?343354-Andy_T-s-Necromunda-plog&p=6266591)

Andy_T
10-05-2014, 15:34
Also have you considered cork tiles for the floor? ( like in that deathblow magazine article which I ripped off! )

Andy T's Necromunda Plog (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?343354-Andy_T-s-Necromunda-plog&p=6266591)

artfultodger2k
11-05-2014, 21:29
Still reading your necromunda plog, got to page 2 now o_O ..........
haven't thought about cork yet, do you do square bases or just round ones ^_^?

Lardidar
11-05-2014, 22:14
Loving the rats...those old sculpts hold up well and the painting is nice and varied.

artfultodger2k
12-05-2014, 00:00
These minis are such a massive improvement on the HQ stuff. Painting them was good fun even though they are only rats! cracking through the bats and spiders now but can't decide on black spider legs, or colour matched to the bodies of them ( done in same variety as rats ). My horde of monsters is also building up at a stupid rate. The building que is now an entire wardrobe full of boxes of miniatures....... daunting!

StormbringerGT
14-06-2014, 06:41
Epic painting space. Makes my dining room table look very... basic (which it is of course!) :D
Great job I especially love those HeroQuest guys they have a special place in my heart!

artfultodger2k
31-08-2014, 12:55
I'm still here plugging away at the base game minis. I seem to come to a bit of a stand still whenever I get to a point where bases need doing o_O
Mantic Dungeon quest kickstarter is keeping me occupied at the minute, looks like fun! Ive backed it, has anyone else????

Geoh
31-08-2014, 19:50
I've pledged managed to get an early bird too. :) Looks like it will be an entertaining game. Was originally in it for the tiles to add to Whq but this game has grown and grown.

artfultodger2k
31-08-2014, 23:33
I was too slow for the early bird! I think the mini count seems a bit low, but couldn't resist for all the extras like dungeon furniture, tiles, scenarios that i'm sure are easily adapted to WHQ also. It stung me for $250 atm. hope i get a good exchange rate :)

The_Real_Chris
03-09-2014, 13:10
Have backed, not sure what final total pledge will be though. Depends on when pledge manager comes out and how poor I am!

The_Real_Chris
03-09-2014, 13:22
On the quest to paint all of quest - I have almost finished painting my copy of Space Crusade :)

artfultodger2k
15-01-2015, 14:28
Just to let you all know that I am still alive, and still working my way through the main box set..... so much for getting that done before Christmas. Pictures will come upon completion of the main box set, otherwise I might distract myself and slow down to a standstill again :-)
Pledge manager is out this week for dungeon saga, so need to work out which bits to choose for add-ons. Another distraction, but an exciting one at least. Have also been bidding on expansions on ebay, but they just a bit too rich for me just yet.

artfultodger2k
17-02-2015, 16:02
I have at last, got around to sorting my photo collection out into some sort of order. Hurrah! Looking back, the last thing I posted were the Rats, so I will continue on from there. Here are some pics of what I have been doing.
First up WIP Bats and Spiders.........
http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/2015%20WQ/DSC_0333_zps7f26d35f.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/2015%20WQ/DSC_0336_zps729007a1.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/2015%20WQ/DSC_0337_zpsdb33535d.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/2015%20WQ/DSC_0340_zps2dacfadb.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/2015%20WQ/DSC_0345_zps126e3493.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/2015%20WQ/DSC_0350_zps359ea543.jpg

artfultodger2k
17-02-2015, 16:16
Next I Tidied up the HQ Heroes for use in WQ, finished up the Bats 'n Spiders, painted the Snotlings and based everything from the WQ base game with some newly arrived sculpting tools and Green stuff.

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/2015%20WQ/DSC_0379_zps51209886.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/2015%20WQ/DSC_0380_zps7319b734.jpg

Tried with different camera settings......(Didn't work so good)

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/2015%20WQ/DSC_0384_zpsc3ecc700.jpg

Shas'El Tael
18-02-2015, 00:26
The hordes, for me the bats seemed near endless to paint. Congrats on a pile of Level 1 minions! Had not thought to base this lot in my own collection but seeing them all gathered so, makes me reconsider that finish.

Geoh
18-02-2015, 15:33
Nice looking critters.

artfultodger2k
25-02-2015, 13:25
cheers for your support fellas, keeps me motivated to finish!

Here we have some WIP shots

Orc Archers:

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/2015%20WQ/DSC_0702_zps5281c53d.jpg

Orc Swordsman:

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/2015%20WQ/DSC_0733_zpsca55db52.jpg

Minotaurs:

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/2015%20WQ/DSC_0745_zps5ad3e828.jpg

None are finished yet but progress is at least being made! Also taking these pics has alerted me to the fact that I need to get some anti shine matt varnish. I think that will help with the Orc swordsman in particular. As usual any comments good or bad are welcome.

In other news I have been continuing to buy up monsters and expansion packs and will do a full rundown of everything I have gathered as soon as I have finished painting the base game! ( it's quite an extensive list, as is my bank statement to match haha! )
Mick.

Shas'El Tael
27-02-2015, 21:47
Minotaurs...shudder. (takes prescribed tincture of dreams) I still hear the hooves atop that Elf's pointy head.....

Completelyagree on Matte Varnish, I just cant look at a mini without it.

EDIT : WAIT - Hold Everything! Mantic released a Dungeon Game!!?!? And nobody told me!? (Rush Googles Mantic Dungeon...)
EDIT : OMG, gutted I missed out.. sigh. Damned international sailing. ;)

artfultodger2k
28-02-2015, 19:49
Yes Shas, the Mantic dungeon crawler looks good so far. I think getting all the big names on board is really helping Mantic to take off, that Ronnie is a smart fella.
I've put my order in on the pledge manager, but release is not until August I think? will put pics up as soon as my set arrives so that you can see what you are missing :-D
There was a miniatures event on today at Newark which is just down the road from me (Hammerhead?) and I really wanted to go, but had to go to work unfortunately. If i hadn't of heard about it so late Id of booked the day off. some big names of the industry attended such as Jake Thornton, Rick Priestley etc would of loved to have a chat about whats going on at mantic with them but ah well, I guess there should be another event on soon even if i have to travel a bit next time.

Shas'El Tael
28-02-2015, 21:20
Argh.. sorry to hear you miss that one. Look forward to the images when the set arrives Artful :)

Noted the contributors to the game, the Alpha rules read well enough and the system seems an interesting approach, lively fight.

artfultodger2k
02-03-2015, 12:40
Finished up the Orcs except varnish as mentioned earlier, and needs some base work doing but saving that to do in batches.
Also finished the minotaurs and goblins although I have forgotten to take WIP pics of alot of the stuff. Here is this weeks work anyway...........

Orc:

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/2015%20WQ/DSC_0747_zpscrpm4f15.jpg

Minotaurs:

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/2015%20WQ/DSC_0779_zpssapjdmga.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/2015%20WQ/DSC_0786_zps93it8evq.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/2015%20WQ/DSC_0801_zpskbsnue7x.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/2015%20WQ/DSC_0811_zps94npvc55.jpg

Daemonslave
03-03-2015, 21:52
This project is coming along nicely. I especially like the blending between skin and hair on the Minotaurs.

Keep it up! :)

artfultodger2k
15-03-2015, 22:07
Basecoated:

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/2015%20WQ/DSC_0834_zps3n0cbiro.jpg

Washed:

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/2015%20WQ/DSC_0844_zpsq8dnrase.jpg

Highlighted:

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/2015%20WQ/DSC_0847_zpswfexr5bh.jpg

Minotaurs half based:

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/2015%20WQ/DSC_0857_zpsekvq2oep.jpg

Other than tidying a few mistakes that I have only noticed after taking pictures, a few bases to touch up and alot of varnishing, that is pretty much my core set complete!

Daxio
16-03-2015, 20:54
Your minotaurs, orcs and characters are looking good there artful. Took me about 20 years to get the basic characters all painted, so you're doing well. :)

artfultodger2k
23-05-2016, 16:34
Hello again people! Artful is back! First of all, I stopped posting here when 'Beyond the Grey Mountains' opened its forums - I just dont have enough time to post on several different forums paint all the minis and have a life! BTGM has been down for a while now though and im wondering if Sam the owner is going to open it back up again? not sure what the issue is, Domain need renewing, or perhaps he had the letter from GW now that they have released Silver Tower........

anyway, this is the reason i'm back, and would have been sooner if i'd of realised this site was open again also - last time Ichecked it was not working for several days in a row so I gave up!

I might just not be remembering correctly - but i am sure this log had more pages to it - and im sure i posted a picture of my finished base set, doesnt seem to be here anymore though, so I will continue from above and post the finished base game group shots next. then I have a few new bits to show you!

artfultodger2k
23-05-2016, 17:00
Giant Bats:

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/2015%20WQ/DSC_0118_zpstrawqrma.jpg (http://s1351.photobucket.com/user/artfultodger2k/media/2015%20WQ/DSC_0118_zpstrawqrma.jpg.html)

Minotaurs:

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/2015%20WQ/DSC_0116_zpsnkqfejf2.jpg (http://s1351.photobucket.com/user/artfultodger2k/media/2015%20WQ/DSC_0116_zpsnkqfejf2.jpg.html)

Orc Archers:

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/2015%20WQ/DSC_0115_zpsctgu4wzz.jpg (http://s1351.photobucket.com/user/artfultodger2k/media/2015%20WQ/DSC_0115_zpsctgu4wzz.jpg.html)

Orc Swordsman:

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/2015%20WQ/DSC_0114_zpswmygq6ar.jpg (http://s1351.photobucket.com/user/artfultodger2k/media/2015%20WQ/DSC_0114_zpswmygq6ar.jpg.html)

Skaven Clanrats:

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/2015%20WQ/DSC_0112_zpsdzs7n2b4.jpg (http://s1351.photobucket.com/user/artfultodger2k/media/2015%20WQ/DSC_0112_zpsdzs7n2b4.jpg.html)

Goblin Spearmen:

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/2015%20WQ/DSC_0109_zpshmsxj7ui.jpg (http://s1351.photobucket.com/user/artfultodger2k/media/2015%20WQ/DSC_0109_zpshmsxj7ui.jpg.html)

Goblin Archers:

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/2015%20WQ/DSC_0108_zps7puch31k.jpg (http://s1351.photobucket.com/user/artfultodger2k/media/2015%20WQ/DSC_0108_zps7puch31k.jpg.html)

Snotlings:

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/2015%20WQ/DSC_0107_zpsxgedhmui.jpg (http://s1351.photobucket.com/user/artfultodger2k/media/2015%20WQ/DSC_0107_zpsxgedhmui.jpg.html)

Giant Spiders:

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/2015%20WQ/DSC_0104_zpsdu3ieeq1.jpg (http://s1351.photobucket.com/user/artfultodger2k/media/2015%20WQ/DSC_0104_zpsdu3ieeq1.jpg.html)

Giant Rats:

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/2015%20WQ/DSC_0102_zps6i24izy5.jpg (http://s1351.photobucket.com/user/artfultodger2k/media/2015%20WQ/DSC_0102_zps6i24izy5.jpg.html)

artfultodger2k
23-05-2016, 17:13
Dwarf:

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/2015%20WQ/DSC_0100_zpsawds7dxp.jpg (http://s1351.photobucket.com/user/artfultodger2k/media/2015%20WQ/DSC_0100_zpsawds7dxp.jpg.html)

Wizard:

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/2015%20WQ/DSC_0099_zpsik7k38al.jpg (http://s1351.photobucket.com/user/artfultodger2k/media/2015%20WQ/DSC_0099_zpsik7k38al.jpg.html)

Elf:

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/2015%20WQ/DSC_0098_zpsbcdbsazc.jpg (http://s1351.photobucket.com/user/artfultodger2k/media/2015%20WQ/DSC_0098_zpsbcdbsazc.jpg.html)

Barbarian:

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/2015%20WQ/DSC_0097_zps98x4kjxq.jpg (http://s1351.photobucket.com/user/artfultodger2k/media/2015%20WQ/DSC_0097_zps98x4kjxq.jpg.html)

Group Shot:

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/2015%20WQ/DSC_0085_zpsiyiv3ep4.jpg (http://s1351.photobucket.com/user/artfultodger2k/media/2015%20WQ/DSC_0085_zpsiyiv3ep4.jpg.html)

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/2015%20WQ/DSC_0084_zps4ngbcb7u.jpg (http://s1351.photobucket.com/user/artfultodger2k/media/2015%20WQ/DSC_0084_zps4ngbcb7u.jpg.html)

Richard
23-05-2016, 17:35
I might just not be remembering correctly - but i am sure this log had more pages to it - and im sure i posted a picture of my finished base set, doesnt seem to be here anymore though, so I will continue from above and post the finished base game group shots next. then I have a few new bits to show you!

I have the same problem with my pics I can't get any back upp, thinking of starting a new log deleting my old because of it.

Glad to here from your back, Sam had a lot of other commitments which kept him away from the site. so im guessing like you said either GWS or his time couldn't keep it going.

Four grand projects will be back on the go here which is great the more people know warseer is back the better.

Also what's your thoughts on Silver Tower?

artfultodger2k
23-05-2016, 21:35
Also what's your thoughts on Silver Tower?

I haven't really looked at it properly, I saw a few pre release pics a month or so ago, and the tileset just really put me off. I glanced at the minis and again they didn't really appeal to me either - that coupled with not particularly liking the new AOS world and already having 12 stacker boxes of fantasy models to paint for the original WQ game means I haven't looked at it again since! I'm sure its got a decent ruleset in its own right but right now im content with rediscovering the old WQ.
Have you played it yet?!

Richard
23-05-2016, 22:35
Have you played it yet?!

Well if you remember before warseer went down I started to do all my cards in AOS ruling to play with my family group. weirdly enough except for 4 or 5 differences its the same as the game. I haven't play silver tower in store but manage to photograph the rulebook last week before I broke my toe. The hero dice, the fixed encounter tables on the dungeon deck and the renown part are what's different to what I was doing. I play tested the game with what I had using their rule set last Tuesday in my house and I think it works although i'm already making my own event deck with their models in mine, to many tables and flicking threw pages to get monster stats.

Also i'm a huge fan of tzeentch so all the models are really appealing to me. The idea of a silver tower maze or anything tzeentch is cool in my eyes so I will be getting it to try even if its just for the models to use in "proper" quest. but I will give the game a chance but it has a lot to live up to with the legacy before it. as I haven't got much in terms of quest stuff it would be easily enough for me to go this route money wise and in terms of its all there in box to use. but I still got my roots firmly in the original so I think there be both options to play.

Again nice to see you back again

artfultodger2k
24-05-2016, 17:21
Towards the end of painting the main box set, I decided to expand my coat d'arms paints with some of the citadel washes and glazes. This later expanded to the dry and edge paint set and some select other colours from the base and layers I felt were missing ( some skin tones, purples and pinks etc ). This now meant I needed to build a rack for the citadel paints so.......

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/2016%20WQ/DSC_0142_zpsbzudggjc.jpg (http://s1351.photobucket.com/user/artfultodger2k/media/2016%20WQ/DSC_0142_zpsbzudggjc.jpg.html)

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/2016%20WQ/DSC_0146_zpsx9fxxdwd.jpg (http://s1351.photobucket.com/user/artfultodger2k/media/2016%20WQ/DSC_0146_zpsx9fxxdwd.jpg.html)

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/artfultodger2k/2016%20WQ/DSC_0172_zpsktwqspkb.jpg (http://s1351.photobucket.com/user/artfultodger2k/media/2016%20WQ/DSC_0172_zpsktwqspkb.jpg.html)

its primative, but serves its purpose ( and a bit extra ) for now!

Next up is the Level 1 Monster Table!