PDA

View Full Version : Banner of morgoth

jprp
29-03-2014, 22:51
Anyone know what should be on a banner for Morgoths troops?

Whitwort Stormbringer
02-04-2014, 19:09
I'm not sure of any specific device that was mentioned, but I would think there are probably a few icons that you could reasonably go with:

- An iron crown with a Silmaril
- A spider, after his (brief) alleigance with Ungoliant
- A wolf or bat, particularly if in the service of Sauron
- Icy grey mountains, representing Thangorodrim
- A mace or hammer, for Grond

jprp
02-04-2014, 19:56
Of those i think the mace and Thangorodrim are best, i dont like the idea of anything to do with the silmarils as all of his servants hate light (infact in the book it said he desired light but then rejected and hated it when he couldn`t have sole command of it-so it would follow that if he could not destroy the silmarils then he would hide them from anyones sight rather than wear them on his head like a miners lamp(?!)).

Arnizipal
02-04-2014, 21:49
Morgoth wore three silmarils in his crown after he stole them from Faenor, though their light and heat caused him great discomfort.
Beren pried one silmaril loose and stole it, but the others remained with Morgoth until he was defeated by the other Valar.

jprp
02-04-2014, 21:54
Morgoth wore three silmarils in his crown after he stole them from Faenor, though their light and heat caused him great discomfort.
Beren pried one silmaril loose and stole it, but the others remained with Morgoth until he was defeated by the other Valar.
Yes i know but it doesn`t make sence once it is established he hates (and fears) light, destroy the lamps,then destroy the trees Try to destroy the sun but preserve the silmarils?

Whitwort Stormbringer
03-04-2014, 01:33
If it bothers you, you could retain the iron crown as a device, but leave off the Silmarils.

jprp
03-04-2014, 10:14
If it bothers you, you could retain the iron crown as a device, but leave off the Silmarils.

That would be better i think, if you include the silmarils would you need a banner with only 2 on for later on?

Arnizipal
03-04-2014, 21:25
Yes i know but it doesn`t make sence once it is established he hates (and fears) light, destroy the lamps,then destroy the trees Try to destroy the sun but preserve the silmarils?
The silmarils were also the most beautiful gems ever created.
It's entirely possible Morgoth hated and loved them at the same time, much like Gollem hated and loved the One Ring.

Karak Norn Clansman
04-04-2014, 08:40
I'm not sure of any specific device that was mentioned, but I would think there are probably a few icons that you could reasonably go with:

- An iron crown with a Silmaril
- A spider, after his (brief) alleigance with Ungoliant
- A wolf or bat, particularly if in the service of Sauron
- Icy grey mountains, representing Thangorodrim
- A mace or hammer, for Grond

Or a slammed door in the face of a Dark Lord for that encounter with FŽanor. Or a bleeding foot, for that duel with Fingolfin. ;)