PDA

View Full Version : More Militarum Tempestus units?

Monkeyrazzar
02-04-2014, 14:03
The Militarum Tempestus is now available for preorder (i got the codex and 5 scions on the way) but there seems to be a shortage of units. For now they seem more like just allies, (you can take them as a primary detachment, but a large force would get boring quick because of the few unit choices) they are awesome but does anyone else think there maybe be more units in the codex without models yet? I hope they make models for the commissar training squads that i have read about in the lore. Thoughts/opinions,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theJ
02-04-2014, 14:07
Doubt it, at least at this point.
We've got Scions, command, commissars, valkyries, and Taurox, aaaaand... and that's pretty much it.
Low quality pictures reveal Ogryns and Hydras as the next two releases, neither of which is themed towards a Stormtrooper force. I wouldn't count out the possibility of a few other guard units being included, buuuuut.... don't expect them.

DoctorTom
02-04-2014, 15:28
Well, according to today's white dwarf daily, there's Vendettas as well as Valkyries. Beyond the models in the Expeditionary Force and Commissars, though, I doubt there will be anything else.

I think if there were models for the commissar training squads they would have had them included in the Expeditionary Force set.

Chem-Dog
02-04-2014, 15:30
I think it's more likely that models that already exist in the range will be added to the MT roster. There's the tacit suggestion Chimeras will be available, the virtual guarantee of Valkyries (and maybe Vendettas) and it seems very likely that lots of Commissars will be in the mix (Shame there's not a plastic Commissar kit, maybe that'll come with IG). At the moment the only unit available to the IG that I think fits with the Stormies is the Sentinel, it's light enough to be air-dropped from a Valkyrie and swift enough to keep up with (or range ahead of) the TPrimes.

It's possible there are units available in the Dex which don't have models, but GW are very skittish about doing it.

Ambience 327
02-04-2014, 16:26
Pretty sure the early rumors put the Bullgryns as Militarum Tempestus. Their blue paint scheme and high-tech gear seems to support this idea.

Monkeyrazzar
02-04-2014, 16:30
Pretty sure the early rumors put the Bullgryns as Militarum Tempestus. Their blue paint scheme and high-tech gear seems to support this idea.

Agreed

Theocracity
02-04-2014, 17:02

I think it'd be a bit odd if the MT codex included rules for models that aren't going to be out for several weeks. Not that it's impossible, just that it'd be odd.

They also don't feature in any of the marketing material for the codex, which is another red flag for me.

Smooth Boy
02-04-2014, 18:47
Hmmm well the codex will be in peoples hands on Saturday, and the same day GW should be putting the rest of the Guard stuff up for pre-order but who knows. At the moment I'm concerned stormtroopers will be removed from the main Guard codex, has anyone heard if you'll have to ally to get scions? Because it does look like an ally dex.

DoctorTom
02-04-2014, 19:20
Hmmm well the codex will be in peoples hands on Saturday, and the same day GW should be putting the rest of the Guard stuff up for pre-order but who knows. At the moment I'm concerned stormtroopers will be removed from the main Guard codex, has anyone heard if you'll have to ally to get scions? Because it does look like an ally dex.

The What's New today on the GW website:

"Of course, if you really can’t live without your Leman Russ battle tanks and Basilisks then you can always field a platoon of Tempestus Scions as part of an Imperial Guard army."

It didn't say that you had to take them as allies, implying they're in the main Guard codex still.

Voss
02-04-2014, 19:27
The What's New today on the GW website:

"Of course, if you really canít live without your Leman Russ battle tanks and Basilisks then you can always field a platoon of Tempestus Scions as part of an Imperial Guard army."

It didn't say that you had to take them as allies, implying they're in the main Guard codex still.
Yes, they are. The WD scans that were floating around mentioned that specifically: MT platoons are elite choices for AM(Guard).

As for other units, as far as I can tell, no. Commissars, Scions and transports are the whole of the MT.

minionboy
02-04-2014, 19:53
Yes, they are. The WD scans that were floating around mentioned that specifically: MT platoons are elite choices for AM(Guard).

As for other units, as far as I can tell, no. Commissars, Scions and transports are the whole of the MT.

I'm guessing you haven't been around much the last week... The White Dwarf is out, no need to dig up scans, the MT codex is up for preorder and it specifically shows the entry for Commissars... Also today's blog post mentions that they'll have access to Vendettas as well, so now we're up to Scions (no clue if platoons or individual squads yet), Commissars, Lord Commissars, Valkyries, Vendettas and Taurox Prime.

Voss
02-04-2014, 20:44
I'm guessing you haven't been around much the last week... The White Dwarf is out, no need to dig up scans, the MT codex is up for preorder and it specifically shows the entry for Commissars... Also today's blog post mentions that they'll have access to Vendettas as well, so now we're up to Scions (no clue if platoons or individual squads yet), Commissars, Lord Commissars, Valkyries, Vendettas and Taurox Prime.

Yes, exactly. :shifty: Commissars, Scions and Transports. Thanks for 'correcting' me with all the information I already provided and already know.
Though you left out Chimeras.

Monkeyrazzar
02-04-2014, 21:04
Maybe FW will do some models for them? That would be awesome

AndrewGPaul
02-04-2014, 21:43

Although the Astra Militarum Wyvern is also shown in a blue colour scheme on the cover of the upcoming White Dwarf.

Atrum Angelus
03-04-2014, 16:16
The only units in the book are:

Commissar (Lord is an upgrade) - HQ
Scion Command Squad - HQ
Scion Squad - Troop
Taurox Prime - Fast Attack/Dedicated
Valkyrie - Fast Attack

As well as two formations:
An Air Cavalry one and a Ground Assault one.

The Emperor
03-04-2014, 16:29
The only units in the book are:

Commissar (Lord is an upgrade) - HQ
Scion Command Squad - HQ
Scion Squad - Troop
Taurox Prime - Fast Attack/Dedicated
Valkyrie - Fast Attack

As well as two formations:
An Air Cavalry one and a Ground Assault one.

Do you have the book already? If so, could you double-check the Valkyrie and see if it has any upgrade options to Twin-Linked Lascannons?

Sanai
03-04-2014, 16:56
What, no Bullgryns? Why paint them blue and then just stick them into the green AM studio army?

Atrum Angelus
03-04-2014, 17:21
Do you have the book already? If so, could you double-check the Valkyrie and see if it has any upgrade options to Twin-Linked Lascannons?

Same options as previous Valkyrie.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

The Emperor
03-04-2014, 17:22
D'oh! So much for GW having a clue about the contents of their own books.

Atrum Angelus
03-04-2014, 17:25
The army list layout is very different too. It sorta combines the army list with the unit entry page. Sorta.

DoctorTom
03-04-2014, 17:28
What, no Bullgryns? Why paint them blue and then just stick them into the green AM studio army?

I thought the Bullgryns were being described as Auxiliary; maybe they're going with the blue scheme for all auxiliary units with their painting.

AndrewGPaul
04-04-2014, 00:19
Looks like blue is the other Studio army; the Wyvern artillery vehicle is also in blue.

Atrum Angelus
04-04-2014, 00:42
The Wyvern on the cover is blue/grey camo, not flat blue though.

Smooth Boy
04-04-2014, 03:21
Well I'm glad they're in the main codex, I did think people would go ape if they weren't. Still a £30 book with 6 units in... sometimes GW make it hard for us to defend them. I mean, I know it's a gimmick to grab cash but they should have just given us a MT commander which unlocks scions and taurox primes as troops and dedicated transports respectively. Then sell us the book as a 'fluff codex' for a little less.

Monkeyrazzar
04-04-2014, 06:08
Well I'm glad they're in the main codex, I did think people would go ape if they weren't. Still a £30 book with 6 units in... sometimes GW make it hard for us to defend them. I mean, I know it's a gimmick to grab cash but they should have just given us a MT commander which unlocks scions and taurox primes as troops and dedicated transports respectively. Then sell us the book as a 'fluff codex' for a little less.

Yeah, forge world has another great example of their greed. I play death korps of krieg, the infantry has no sergeant arms, only lasgun/special weapons arms. So you need to buy a whole other set just to get the equipment the sarge has by default!

Vaktathi
04-04-2014, 06:29
Yeah, forge world has another great example of their greed. I play death korps of krieg, the infantry has no sergeant arms, only lasgun/special weapons arms. So you need to buy a whole other set just to get the equipment the sarge has by default!

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThat's not quite the thing you think it is. The DKoK infantry units were first released in mid 4th edition, when Sergeants could have Lasguns (one will notice one of the Lasgun arms has Watchmaster Chevrons), when the IG codex came out in 5th, this got changed and FW just followed suit. Kinda lame, but not really a straight out greed thing, but more a "dumb following the blind" type deal.

Sanai
04-04-2014, 12:36
Making a codex for stormtroopers would only be greedy if they left stormtroopers out of the core codex, hence forcing you to buy 2 codices just to use stormtroopers with your guard.

Saying that making a separate codex for all-scion armies that gives you extra fluff and rules for them without withholding them from the core codex is greedy is like saying that them bringing out the tau codex is greedy- "We already have a bunch of armies and races, and now they are bringing out another optional race/army for us to use! How greedy!"

People should try and look at things more objectively and stop looking so hard for excuses to call Games Workshop (or a variety of companies, ranging from Game Developers to just about every other entertainment industry) greedy.

Monkeyrazzar
04-04-2014, 12:38
That's not quite the thing you think it is. The DKoK infantry units were first released in mid 4th edition, when Sergeants could have Lasguns (one will notice one of the Lasgun arms has Watchmaster Chevrons), when the IG codex came out in 5th, this got changed and FW just followed suit. Kinda lame, but not really a straight out greed thing, but more a "dumb following the blind" type deal.

Ah i see, i did notice the chevrons (paint em red). I'll have to buy a squad and a bunch of weapons packs to make sergeants and plasma gunners

WLBjork
04-04-2014, 17:00
I'll just add the first option for the Watchmaster is... a free upgrade to Lasgun.

dangerboyjim
04-04-2014, 19:59
Making a codex for stormtroopers would only be greedy if they left stormtroopers out of the core codex, hence forcing you to buy 2 codices just to use stormtroopers with your guard.

Saying that making a separate codex for all-scion armies that gives you extra fluff and rules for them without withholding them from the core codex is greedy is like saying that them bringing out the tau codex is greedy- "We already have a bunch of armies and races, and now they are bringing out another optional race/army for us to use! How greedy!"

People should try and look at things more objectively and stop looking so hard for excuses to call Games Workshop (or a variety of companies, ranging from Game Developers to just about every other entertainment industry) greedy.

It's not like that at all, it's like releasing a £30 book with two pages of rules to allow a variation on the main list, THAT COULD EASILY HAVE BEEN IN THE MAIN BOOK, released at roughly the same time.

Are you saying the Tau book is equivalent because they could have easily rolled the content into the Necron Codex? Or the Eldar Codex?

ashc
04-04-2014, 20:16
This book was always going to be a cash-grab in an effort to keep the money rolling in...

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Monkeyrazzar
04-04-2014, 21:20
I'll just add the first option for the Watchmaster is... a free upgrade to Lasgun.

Yes but i'd rather have him with the chain sword. Theres a single sprue with a lasgun and a right arm they could remove and replace with the chain sword