PDA

View Full Version : Knights!

Superfly
03-04-2014, 18:18
Love these models.... At some point I will get one, but...

Since first seeing them they reminded me of something, it just clicked- the alien/robots from 5th Element. I can imagine the knights walking in a similar way too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkc

Gorthaur
04-04-2014, 01:46
I can see that in the shoulders and head, not so sure about the walking though.

I plan on getting a Knight as well, ive never done a model as big...so it will be a big project for me. Might do Terryn or Griffith.

hobojebus
04-04-2014, 01:57
Well you can get them for around the mid 60 Mark from 3rd party sellers which is reasonable for such a nice kit, it goes together nice and makes a nice centre piece.

Haravikk
04-04-2014, 12:33
They're great models; I'm a bit dubious about their role in actual games though, as personally I think GW's gone overboard on the rules, probably to try to justify the price of a whole codex just to get two, almost identical, unit entries.
But the models are great; I'm hoping to put together a small Mechanicus inspired force, maybe not for actual play, but I think Mechanicus converted Centurions could look great, likewise an Imperial Knight with some embellishment (IMO painting it red isn't enough ;)) and of course Forge World have been releasing some awesome Mechanicus models lately.

As hobojebus mentions though, you can get the Imperial Knight so much cheaper elsewhere that it's almost ridiculous; I like to support my local Games Workshop, but an extra 25 is insane, as that's a whole other unit!

Sanai
04-04-2014, 12:42
I'm a bit dubious about their role in actual games though

I have seen the local stores 3 Knights used in apocalypse games, and they were really effective. I watched Wraithlords, Wraithknights and Monoliths get mown down like cheese through butter by charging Knights. They definitely have a role in Apocalypse games, or just larger points games.

Personally, I would be happy buying a codex with just one unit entry. Leaves more room for fluff and artwork. But thats just me- I like reading and looking at pretty pictures, and I like having pretty books.

Horus Lupercal
04-04-2014, 12:47
I may get one and chaos the frak out of it. There are a pair of Chaos/Dark Mec ones in GW Oxford and they are epic.

hobojebus
04-04-2014, 13:07
I would not use it in normal games only apoc.

Kingly
04-04-2014, 13:13
I don't think they look like the Robots in 5th element at all...That's nuts.190789

Sanai
04-04-2014, 13:25
I would not use it in normal games only apoc.

It would be interesting to see them used in regular games, by using a pure superheavy walker force you invalidate a lot of the enemies weapons and units (the ones devoted or suitable only for killing infantry). With their huge move range you also have a lot of map control.

jeffersonian000
04-04-2014, 14:21
Knights are well balanced for regular 40k, are fairly easy for a prepared opponent to take down, yet are a great counter to the current Deathstar meta. People are finding armies of 3+ scoring Knights to be a challenge, although in no way over powered.

The better of the 2 Knights available in the codex is a Errant, which due to its shorter range and single blast, seems to be intended to be used aggressively, getting it stuck in as quickly as possible.

The Paladin, on the other hand, is a generalist, has better range, 2 blast markers, and therefore wants to stay at range and mobile, only looking for melee to hide in combat or finish off a nearby enemy.

Their D Str melee weapon can only hit 3-4 models, and D Str damage is only dealt to models hit rather than the unit per normal CC rules, meaning that the D Weapon is only truly dangerous to MCs and Vehicles (or low model count Deathstars). However, its the Stomp that will obliterate entire units with D3 small blast markers, and the Apocalyptic Explosion template upon death that most opponents fear.

All in all, Knight are worth their points, make good allies, and can stand as a good primary army. They are a meta changer, which is good for the game.

SJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jackers
04-04-2014, 16:40
I may get one and chaos the frak out of it. There are a pair of Chaos/Dark Mec ones in GW Oxford and they are epic.

They are pretty damn awesome :) I love the one that uses bits from a blight drone and a maulerfiend. The guy who did them is really good at converting stuff.

Haravikk
04-04-2014, 17:05
I have seen the local stores 3 Knights used in apocalypse games
Sorry, I really meant for normal games (well, what passes for normal games of 40k now); they're just too messy to use in regular games. Granted the Wraithknight doesn't work amazingly either, but that's more a problem with the Monstrous Creature rules being useless for that kind of unit (Melta does nothing while Force and Poison laugh merrily), but rules-wise it's basically just a double helping of Wraithlord in one slot, so it fits reasonably well into regular games.

PrivateLucky
04-04-2014, 17:13
Knights are well balanced for regular 40k, are fairly easy for a prepared opponent to take down, yet are a great counter to the current Deathstar meta. People are finding armies of 3+ scoring Knights to be a challenge, although in no way over powered.

I agree. I played a list with 5 knights and essentially killed one every time I charged. Without support they are easy pickings. In fact, he did more damage to me from them dying than he did from shooting at me!

jeffersonian000
04-04-2014, 23:40
What army did you take that could kill 5 Knights in Close Combat ?

SJ

Hendarion
05-04-2014, 11:44
I assume lots of Terminators including Lysander :rolleyes:
Personally, I still don't know how to reliably deal with 3, not to speak about 5.

A.T.
05-04-2014, 12:45
What army did you take that could kill 5 Knights in Close Combat ?Hordes of DE with haywire perhaps.

PrivateLucky
05-04-2014, 16:05
What army did you take that could kill 5 Knights in Close Combat ?

Hordes of DE with haywire perhaps.

Actually I took the list I normally run at 2500 points. If you don't mind I will post it here for context. I wanted to see if my normal army could handle knights.

2 Farseers w/ jetbike
2 Autarchs w/ jetbike, laser lance, fusion gun, banshee mask
4 squads of 6 Windriders with 2 shuriken cannons
2 squads of 9 shining spears with exarch w/Star lance, hit and run
Crimson hunter
2 haemonc
2 squads of 3 wracks in venom w/ extra splinter cannon
2 squads of 9 reavers with 3 caltrops and 3 heat lances

The knight army looked like this:
2 paladins
3 errants
Cheap Chaplin
4 devastator centurions with missiles and such
minimum sized scout squad
a stormtalon (I think? It was the assault cannon/missile AV 11 flyer)

Only 2 models had haywire grenades, my Autarchs. I run 2 death squads with a farseer and autarch running with each spear squads. I am faster than a knight and I can go up buildings while knights can't. So I turbo boosted on top of ruins/buildings when I could. I focused my army on 2 at a time so he was split up. I distracted the others with a harassing squad of reavers and 2 squads of windriders.

The process of taking one down looked like this. Flank with the reavers, have the shining spear death squad up front so he has to make the hard decision of which facing to give the invuln save. So either a ton of short ranged lance shots on the front or 3 heat lances on the side. Usually I took off 3-4 hull points with shooting, all 6 if I was lucky. Then when I charged I struck first because of banshee mask and he took a lot more lance hits, plus a haywire grenade. For those of you that don't play Eldar, shining spears have 2, str 6, ap 3, lance weapons on the charge. So I could glance him to death.

Both my farseers got fortune, doom, and guide (lucky rolls) but even without doom they would have gone down. The fortune saved me a ton though with the ones I didn't kill on the charge and the blasts damage I took from a dying one. The fact that they don't go down like a normal vehicle hurt a lot. They explode no matter what.

By the end of the game I only had 2 farseers and an autarch from the original 22 total jetbikes of the shining spears and other autarch.

They can go down, and they go down hard when they die. As I said, I took far more damage from the explosions than from his shooting or close combat.

jeffersonian000
05-04-2014, 17:05
So ... you took a double FoC, pealed HP at range, and Seerstar'd the last HP in melee? Was the Knight playing bad? Could you do the same at 1850 pts?

SJ

PrivateLucky
05-04-2014, 19:10
Sure, you would just be down a farseer and an autarch and reavers. But then again he will be down the same amount of points too.

jeffersonian000
05-04-2014, 19:58
Actually, he would be down to 5 Errants, which equal exactly 1850pts.

What confused me about your original statement on killing 5 Knights in 5 turns via CC is that the it implies the Knight player played poorly, or you played extraordinarily well. At 2500 points of double FoC "best codex in the game" tailored to kill under 1900 points of Knights, you statement ends up being, "yep, I won by building a better list and rolled better."

Okay, I guess.

SJ

Inquisitor Engel
05-04-2014, 21:04
Sure, you would just be down a farseer and an autarch and reavers. But then again he will be down the same amount of points too.

You don't get double FOC at sub 2000 points. You'd have to drop more and rearrange things.

PrivateLucky
06-04-2014, 03:25
Actually, he would be down to 5 Errants, which equal exactly 1850pts.

What confused me about your original statement on killing 5 Knights in 5 turns via CC is that the it implies the Knight player played poorly, or you played extraordinarily well. At 2500 points of double FoC "best codex in the game" tailored to kill under 1900 points of Knights, you statement ends up being, "yep, I won by building a better list and rolled better."

Okay, I guess.

I did not tailor my list, I was just plain faster. He spread his knights out along the long table edge and first turn I completely redeployed to his weaker flank which only had a paladin and a errant. Speed has it's advantages. Also the fact that he cannot assault me when I was not on the ground level of ruins helped.

Also at 1850 points I would drop a seer, autarch, reavers, a haemonc, 3 wracks, and a venom. I would also drop a squad of 6 wind riders to get me under 1850 points. Considering the knight player had additional support, I don't think that the drop to 1850 points would have neutered my ability to take down a knight a turn.

One thing he did wrong was spread out the deployment of his army, which is a common mistake many people make thinking they need to cover their entire board edge. If he had bunched them together it would have made it a lot more difficult. Although I would have loved to see the strength D explosion scatter back onto another knight, that would have made my day.

EDIT: What I am trying to say, is that knights without support will die just as easy as any other vehicle out there. Flanking them is a necessity though because of their invuln save.

-Totenkopf-
06-04-2014, 03:40
I love the knight.. I wish there was a fluffy way to incorporate one into my Eldar list.. now i have to buy 1 or two more and some imperial guard fliers.....

Minsc
06-04-2014, 20:11
Had my first game vs Knights yesterday (2000 pts, he brought 3 Knights (2P, 1E) as a primary detachment, with Iron Hand-allies) and even though I lost the game, it was good fun.

The rules for them are balanced and quite fun (I love how they self-destruct randomly), and the model's themselves are simply put stunning.

I actually ordered one today myself, gonna use it as an ally to my Salamanders. :D

The Emperor
06-04-2014, 20:17
I actually ordered one today myself, gonna use it as an ally to my Salamanders. :D

I hope you'll be using the Knight Errant, then. ;)

Minsc
06-04-2014, 20:41
Well it would make the most sense fluffwise, but I'll probably make it a Paladin, unless I somehow manage to magnetize it. We shall see...

I got my melta-quota filled to the brim either way. ;)

The Emperor
06-04-2014, 20:46
There's no such thing as too much melta in a Salamanders army! :p