PDA

View Full Version : Lizardmen, dwarfs or wood elves? help me choose.

Boss Zagstruk
03-04-2014, 20:22
Hi guys. Im looking to start a small warhammer army to get back into the hobby after 2 years out. I want to aim for a 1500pt army but i also want to get back into painting. Im a slow painter but enjoy it once I get into the swing of it. Anywho I have 3 choices id like to pursue LM, Dwarfs and WE. I just cant choose and I dont want to buy a book n then not like the army book.

I like lizardmen for the monsters/dinos. I dunmo if I could fit many into my points scale though. I like that theyve got a solid core but also cheap infantry in skinks. I do like toughness 4 and a good armour save. However im wondering how competitive the new army is? Ive heard mixed reviews. Also and I may be wrong but is the lizardmen fluff a little boring? They do seem to lack personality and ready the army book usually gets me in the right mind to collect an army.

As for dwarfs I love the models, old and new. The lords and hero's models are so characterful. I could spend hours on ebay looking for different models. Ive heard the rulebook is solid but im put off by movement 3 and the lack of veriety in the unit selection. Infantry and warmachines only :( or can this be overcome by army design?

Wood elves, now hear me out... I love the models in this range. I want to paint an autumn themed army. I figure if im lucky I can have a good looking core army by the time they decide to release a new army book. Would you risk it?

Would love to hear your insight. Thanka

SpanielBear
03-04-2014, 21:16
Lizardmen are cool. However, they do lack some personality- ranks of Saurus clones and inscrutable frogs. And yes, at your points level you may struggle to fit in many dinosaurs.

Dwarves are different- a good fluff for character background, new army and rules and decent models. You are likely to have some big units, which might slow painting down a bit. On the other hand, painting dwarves looks like a lot of fun, so that may not dissuade you. The real question is, how do you feel about movement in an army? If you want an army that lets enemies come to it, bombards them with cannon and fire before breaking goes on a wall of iron- dwarves. If not...

Wood Elves are the most fun army I've played in both fantasy and 40k. They tend to have small units, so painting isn't a chore, and they are fast, sneaky glass cannons. You have an army that can dominate movement, avoid fights it cant win and crush foes where it can. The trees are hard as nails, and the models are glorious.

However, if you are at all interested in them, if you can bear to hold off for a month, then rumours are for a new release in May, which could be exciting.

If you can't wait, and still want to go for Wood Elves- buy a box of glade guard and a box of dryads. They are amazing kits, really fun to paint, and will almost certainly fit into any new book release.

Spiney Norman
04-04-2014, 08:27
Hi guys. Im looking to start a small warhammer army to get back into the hobby after 2 years out. I want to aim for a 1500pt army but i also want to get back into painting. Im a slow painter but enjoy it once I get into the swing of it. Anywho I have 3 choices id like to pursue LM, Dwarfs and WE. I just cant choose and I dont want to buy a book n then not like the army book.

I like lizardmen for the monsters/dinos. I dunmo if I could fit many into my points scale though. I like that theyve got a solid core but also cheap infantry in skinks. I do like toughness 4 and a good armour save. However im wondering how competitive the new army is? Ive heard mixed reviews. Also and I may be wrong but is the lizardmen fluff a little boring? They do seem to lack personality and ready the army book usually gets me in the right mind to collect an army.

Lizardmen are a great army, not the army of choice for broken combos, but they are solid throughout and one of the best internally balanced books out there. You could reasonably expect to fit a couple of big Dino's into 1500, three if you really pushed it, but you probably want to leave room for some other fun stuff too.

Lizardmen are also quite a forgiving army as well, which might be helpful if you are getting back into the game.

You also asked whether the fluff was boring, IMO, Lizardmen fluff is far from boring, the characters may be a little lacking in personality (but that does depend largely on how you play them). However the subject of boring fluff brings me on to your next choice...

As for dwarfs I love the models, old and new. The lords and hero's models are so characterful. I could spend hours on ebay looking for different models. Ive heard the rulebook is solid but im put off by movement 3 and the lack of veriety in the unit selection. Infantry and warmachines only :( or can this be overcome by army design?

Dwarf fluff?... *snore* ok its just my personal view! but short fat men that almost never come out of their mountains is not for me, plus they have no wizards so how could the army possibly be interesting to play?

The main difficulty I have with dwarfs is that the design of the army seemed intentionally built to herd you towards the game's most boring way to play (for you and your opponent)... The gun line.

Wood elves, now hear me out... I love the models in this range. I want to paint an autumn themed army. I figure if im lucky I can have a good looking core army by the time they decide to release a new army book. Would you risk it?

Would love to hear your insight. Thanka

As a wood elf player myself, I'd say go for it, their model range is one of the best, most consistent ranges in the game (because it was all done at the same time) and hopefully they won't ruin that when they overhaul the book. Wood elves in their current state are by no means impossible to win with, although you already seem to aware that they are the weakest of the three armies you have mentioned. If you believe the rumours currently circulating we could have a new army book within the next couple of months anyway.

They also have by far the most interesting background of the three armies you have mentioned (my opinion I guess) and you can't go far wrong with a couple of boxes each of glade guard and dryads, and maybe one box of glade riders if you like cavalry.

samuel44
04-04-2014, 10:48
Wood Elves, they are the most interesting play style, just about to get a new set of rules/models and they are lower in model count than the other two so you can take your time painting them.

warhammerscotlandplayer
04-04-2014, 13:28
Go for Woodies or Dwarfs, They Dwarf models are lovely but 1 dimensonal and pretty boring to play against.

Metacarpi
04-04-2014, 13:53
I'll throw in a vote for Lizardmen, just because there's noone in my meta that plays them, and I'd love to take a swing at them!

Gustav Kohn
04-04-2014, 14:15
I vote for wood elves. Wait to see how they look when they come out next month or buy some core until then.

Gharnukk
04-04-2014, 17:48
If it was me (and I love Lizardmen and Dwarfs) I would wait and see what May has in store for the Wood elves. If the release is great. Go for them. And if it is a "meh" release then I would go for Lizardmen. So much more fun to play if you compare to the Dwarfs.

Alltaken
04-04-2014, 18:40
Wood elves, if you can get your hands on a batallion, and the heroes you like, the rest wait for the new book

From my servoskull

EffCee
04-04-2014, 19:30
I'll add another vote for Wood Elves. I had two great games with them recently, had loads of fun and won both games vs Daemons and Warriors. I'm painting autumn Woodies myself (shameless plug alert) which can be seen in my PLog linked in my sig :shifty:

Boss Zagstruk
04-04-2014, 19:34
Right thats it. Think ill go with my heart and pick wood elves. There model range is amazing after all. Time to hit ebay and pick up some characters before I miss my chance. You never know what gw will discontinue next.... think ill hit my local hobby shop on sunday :) thanks guys. Hey I can always go back to dwarfs or LM anothervtime

Boss Zagstruk
04-04-2014, 19:36
Fanny crowbar your plog inspired me to dig out my WE rulebook! So thank you!

EffCee
04-04-2014, 19:43
Fanny crowbar your plog inspired me to dig out my WE rulebook! So thank you!

:) Have fun. I may be somewhat biased (though I do have Dwarfs as well), but I think you've made the right choice.