PDA

View Full Version : 200 pts Killteam for a beginner

Stampede
05-04-2014, 13:27
So yeah, hey.

Im an experienced fantasy player of several years, but my local store has now started a 200 point killteam trend to introduce people to 40k. I'v been toying with starting my own team, but seeing as I know absolutely bagel about 40k, i'd thought I would ask for some advice on what team might be optimal. Rules are: No heavy support or HQ, 0-2 troops, and 0-1 elites and/or fast attack, and each model acts as an individual unit.

My aim is to create a formidable, but not brokenly good, team which can counter most other setups. Im not a huge fan of space marines though, as I find them far to mainstream, but other than that, im quite flexible. It would be nice with a number of suggestions to choose from, if people have any? The only one i'v come up with so far is a gang of 5 chaos terminators, but as I said, I'v got no idea what is good, or how to equip stuff.

Any suggestions would be gladly recived, cuddoes!

hobojebus
05-04-2014, 13:44
You cant take models with a 2+ save.

Marshal
05-04-2014, 14:53
My fave kill team was my Reaver Jetbikes. Just a unit of them with a heat lance for the odd vehicle you're going to find with Shrouded so he's got a 2+ cover save just for moving, an Arena Champ with Stealth for a 2+ cover save while they're turbo boosting and the extra LD, cluster caltrops guy with Preferred Enemy (Everything) so he's rerolling to wound almost anything, and then just filling out the squad with jetbikes. You're going to be turbo boosting over everything so you should be long out of charge range for anything so their crap armour save shouldn't apply, they have skilled rider so they can turbo directly behind solid walls without any test to avoid fire. Just gotta stay away from anything that ignores cover...

It's actually 2+ armour save. Cover saves are fine.

hobojebus
05-04-2014, 15:40
My fave kill team was my Reaver Jetbikes. Just a unit of them with a heat lance for the odd vehicle you're going to find with Shrouded so he's got a 2+ cover save just for moving, an Arena Champ with Stealth for a 2+ cover save while they're turbo boosting and the extra LD, cluster caltrops guy with Preferred Enemy (Everything) so he's rerolling to wound almost anything, and then just filling out the squad with jetbikes. You're going to be turbo boosting over everything so you should be long out of charge range for anything so their crap armour save shouldn't apply, they have skilled rider so they can turbo directly behind solid walls without any test to avoid fire. Just gotta stay away from anything that ignores cover...

It's actually 2+ armour save. Cover saves are fine.

That would be a 2++ then, he mentioned terminators i'm sure he will get what i meant there was no need for pedantry.

Chem-Dog
05-04-2014, 17:09
Hard to be specific about this as a definitive and universal set of "Kill Team rules" do not exist.
For example quite a few KT rulesets I've encountered do not allow models with more than 2 wounds, have 2+ save of any kind (cover saves/stealth/shrouding ect stacking to 2+ is the exception), vehicles have a maximum combined AV, no Monstrous Creatures and so on.
The version of Kill Team I'm currently playing is produced by a group that goes as far as setting out a list of available troops for the Kill Team - for each Codex and a few otherwise unsupported factions such as Genestealer cults. It also makes some pretty significant changes to the core mechanics.

In my experience, regardless of the specifics of the rules used, Killteam is won by the army that can bring most units to the game, in a rule-set that counts each model as individual, that means the most men on the table will be at an advantage.

In the heavily modified KT I'm playing at the moment, IG, Orks, Dark Eldar and Tau are the strongest forces. The first two relying on sheer weight of numbers (my own more compact IG force not fairing anywhere near as well as the infantry spam list), the Dark Eldar manage with an insouciant disregard for high toughness, a formidable rate of fire from things like splinter cannons and a Grotesque affectionately dubbed "fluffy". The Tau buck the trend by having a couple of really nasty battlesuits and little else but even then they tend to get their tails kicked by the more numerous forces.

More details on limitations would allow for a more detailed evaluation, but in general terms pick stuff that's cheap and reliable, failing that cheap and unreliable.

Charistoph
05-04-2014, 17:14

Depends on the Kill Team version they are using and/or if they modified it to allow it. There are a few Deathwing and Greg Knight players that Would have trouble with this, after all.

jason_sation
06-04-2014, 10:57
Yeah, assuming they are using the most current version of Kill Team, then no 2+ saves. ( http://www.blacklibrary.com/games-workshop-digital-editions/Kill-Team.html ) I'm ok with this, because it makes the game more fun in my opinion. In additinon, no more than 3 wounds or hull points, no flyers, and no more than a total armor value (front+side+rear) of 33. You also need to have a minimum of 4 non-vehicle models. (again assuming your store is using the most current rules)

I've noticed that number of bodies definitely help. For example I once took a couple of squads of IG Vets against a horde of orks which included a number of grots. I just couldn't seem to kill them fast enough to go out and claim objectives. (We were doing the supply drop mission).

I'd also recommend going for whatever force you think you'd end up expanding on anyways. That way your kill team can fit into the rest of your army, and they've already made a name for themselves! (unless you play about as well as I do, in which case the name they've made for themselves is "deceased".

Coming from the other side, I've thought about doing this same sort of thing to get into Fantasy. There is a Fantasy version of Kill Team I've heard of, and it might be a great way for me to finally get started on that Beastmen force I've wanted to try.

Sanai
06-04-2014, 11:05
The "Official" rules for Kill Team is the Black Library ebook. Which forbids 2+ saves.

Also remember that in these rules multishot weapons like Heavy Bolters, Heavy Stubbers, etc can't kill more than one model per shooting phase, so are less useful against numerous enemies than blasts are... but are still an okay option for handling big tough models like battlesuits or Nobz.

Another thing to remember is that every model can throw a frag or krak grenade, every turn. A regular squad of guardsmen suddenly becomes a hilarious blast spamming suicide unit throwing frags everywhere..... or all throwing str 6, ap4 krak grenades at anything that gets within 6 inches.

Bikes are a really good option IMO for kill team- highly mobile, high toughness models that assaulty armies will struggle to pin down.

andyg2006
06-04-2014, 11:11
I've just started thinking about Kill-Team, too.
In terms of 6th ed, I've only got the Tau Codex, so the one I've come up with so far is: 13 Kroot + 3 Krootox riders + 7 Kroot Hounds. Quite a bit of shooting & hopefully they'd be a little better that average in close combat, too (albeit no real way to kill tanks apart from rear shots + charging Krootox Riders).
Anyway, just a suggestion in case it helps?

jason_sation
06-04-2014, 11:25
Kill Team facebook page for anyone interested, btw... https://www.facebook.com/groups/679144685439561/

Infern0
06-04-2014, 11:31
Here you go!
http://heralds-of-ruin.blogspot.co.uk/p/kill-team-rules.html

hobojebus
06-04-2014, 12:30
I use my space wolves:

Lone wolf with Mark of the wulfen.
Five greyhunters with a single plasmagun.
Ten fenrisian wolves.

Has worked well for me, the wolves close in fast and can kill most things one on one, and the lone wolf is nothing to be sniffed at in a skirmish game.