PDA

View Full Version : Are all these Imperial Armour books currently legal for 40k?

The Emperor
09-04-2014, 00:33
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Imperial_Armour_Books

I'm not entirely familiar with Forge World's lineup, so I was wondering which of the above books are up-to-date with current 40k and usable in 6th edition. I'm thinking of looking into them and finding out what units they have that I might be interested in. While we're at it, is there a list somewhere of the available units in the books and what armies they're for? Thanks.

RanaldLoec
09-04-2014, 00:36
All of the books have errata and faq's to bring them into 6th edition.

Any IA book titled second edition has been written specifically for 6th ed.

The Emperor
09-04-2014, 00:40
Thanks for the clarification. I was wondering about that.

draccan
09-04-2014, 00:46
Agree with Renald though I think Imp.Arm. I second ed. is for fifth and not sixth. Supposedly a third ed. is on its way.

Sanai
09-04-2014, 03:31
Imperial Armour Volume One- Second Edition has hull points in the profiles for all of its tanks, so it is clearly a 6th ed book.

edit: of course, with the new AM codex coming out, it will need FAQing to prevent people from taking 55 point chimeras.

AndrewGPaul
09-04-2014, 08:24
Some of the older books, while still contaning useable army lists, will have had the rules for some units updated in other books. The Krieg list in the Vraks trilogy, for example. You can still use the list, but IA1:2nd edition will have the most recent rules (apart from C:AM, of course!) for the vehicles. I suppose the Detachment D-99 army list from IA4 is still technically current, too - it's different from the regular Elysian Drop Troops list.

The 3rd edition rules for the Tyranid creatures in Imperial Armour volume 4: The Anphelion Project appear to have been quietly forgotten. The Spined Heirodule doesn't note which book contains rules for it; IIRC it's the only model that hasn't had its stats updated somewhere.

RanaldLoec
09-04-2014, 10:37
Imperial Armour 4 is being redone the Tyranid on display at FW open day was being sculpted for the "second edition" Anphelion Project.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Iron_Lord
09-04-2014, 12:19
Actually, Apocalypse has the stats for the Barbed Hierodule (and IA: Apocalypse 2nd ed has the stats for the Scythed Hierodule).

Killgore
09-04-2014, 12:25
Depends on how you define legal? As in for a tournament? Well Tourney organisers have the right to rule any book or list as illegal.

Most codex/ publications from 3rd ed onwards are usable. All that would be required would be a sit down with your regular opponents/ gaming group, analyse the list and amend where required.

Pssyche
09-04-2014, 13:27
The Imperial Armour Apocalypse book should be your starting place.
Whilst it is labelled "Apocalypse" don't be fooled.
It is a compendium of updated Rules for pretty much every Forge World model released up to that point, both Super Heavy/Gargantuan and Regular 40K.
These Rules supercede all the previous Rules from Imperial Armour up to and including Imperial Armour 11: The Doom of Mymeara.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Imperial_Armour_Books/IMPERIAL_ARMOUR_APOCALYPSE.html

However, it does not include Flyers which are in Aeronautica.
Aeronautica was released at the same time as 6th Edition came out and was intended to bring the Forge World Flyers up to date with the then new Flyer Rules, which were at that time a new addition to the Game.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Imperial_Armour_Books/IMPERIAL_ARMOUR_AERONAUTICA.html

TIP
===

If you go to the relevant page for the book you are interested in on the Forge World Website there are several example pages from that book.
In the vast majority of cases, the second image is the Contents Page, so you can see if the model you are after the rules for is in that volume.

Edit
----

Only just noticed Killgore's quote.
"Most codex/ publications from 3rd ed onwards are usable. All that would be required would be a sit down with your regular opponents/ gaming group, analyse the list and amend where required."

Absolutely not true.
The older books reference non-existant Rules from previous versions of 40K.
The latest Rules for the vast majority of Forge World Models are contained in Imperial Armour Apocalypse and in many circumstances, they have changed greatly in terms of both Rules and Points.

In the same way that you should use the most current Codex, you should use the most current Forge World Rules, too.

The Emperor
09-04-2014, 13:34
The Imperial Armour Apocalypse book should be your starting place.
Whilst it is labelled "Apocalypse" don't be fooled.
It is a compendium of updated Rules for pretty much every Forge World model released up to that point, both Super Heavy/Gargantuan and Regular 40K.
These Rules supercede all the previous Rules from Imperial Armour up to and including Imperial Armour 11: The Doom of Mymeara.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Imperial_Armour_Books/IMPERIAL_ARMOUR_APOCALYPSE.html

However, it does not include Flyers which are in Aeronautica.
Aeronautica was released at the same time as 6th Edition came out and was intended to bring the Forge World Flyers up to date with the then new Flyer Rules, which were at that time a new addition to the Game.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Imperial_Armour_Books/IMPERIAL_ARMOUR_AERONAUTICA.html

TIP
===

If you go to the relevant page for the book you are interested in on the Forge World Website there are several example pages from that book.
In the vast majority of cases, the second image is the Contents Page, so you can see if the model you are after the rules for is in that volume.

So those are the two books I should be starting with? Thanks for the heads up. I initially ignored them because neither said 2nd Edition, but I guess that was a mistake. And thanks as well for the tip on finding the table of contents. :)

Sanai
09-04-2014, 13:48
If you want Imperial Guard stuff, the IA dedicated to guard is your best bet. As far as I can tell, the apocalypse book lacks the following units that are in the IG IA book;
Salamanders
Leman Russ variants (Annihilators & Conquerers)
Centaurs
Chimera Variants
Thunderers
Destroyer Tank Hunters
Drop Sentinels
Sentinel Powerlifters
Griffons
Medusa
Colossus
Hydra Platforms
Manticore Platforms
Earthshaker Platforms
Artillery Carriages
Field Artillery
Sentry Guns
Gun Platforms

Baragash
09-04-2014, 14:05
I suppose the Detachment D-99 army list from IA4 is still technically current, too - it's different from the regular Elysian Drop Troops list.

Wasn't this updated in IA9: Raid on K-N?

AndrewGPaul
09-04-2014, 15:40
No; the list in IA9 was an update of the Imperial Guard Drop Troops list from IA3 (and the one in IA3 2nd edition is an update of that).

Pssyche
09-04-2014, 16:11
NOTE FOR MODS
============

If you are aware of a member who has copies of ALL the Imperial Armour Books and would be willing, why not ask them to collate a definitive list of which books contain the last set of Rules for each and every Forge World Model and Army List.

Then it could be included as a Sticky Thread at the beginning of the Rules Forum and could be updated as and when new Rules appear or old ones are updated or FAQ'd.

I think it would be a very helpful Reference Asset for this Forum and its members.

Theocracity
09-04-2014, 16:16
I think this thread is a good case study for why GW limits its amount of errata and doesn't update rules or points for units regularly even when they're out of whack. FW's model allows for more flexibility at the expense of more confusion.

Pssyche
09-04-2014, 16:37
I think this thread is a good case study for why GW limits its amount of errata and doesn't update rules or points for units regularly even when they're out of whack. FW's model allows for more flexibility at the expense of more confusion.

Perhaps if they had a list like I've just suggested, there wouldn't be any confusion.
Or even better, in addition to a Definitive List, perhaps on the model's display page it could have a note saying where the current Rules can be found.

That being said, most of the information is already there on the contents pages they have posted you just have to look for it.
All in all, that's probably my only quibble with Forge World, and that includes the P&P issue.

Most of the confusion in my experience comes from people wanting to field Forge World models using old Rules or even worse, Experimental Rules in the full knowledge that the old/Experimental rules are much more powerful than the current ones.

Baragash
09-04-2014, 16:50
I believe that just before the FB pages disappeared, FW replied in a conversation to say that adding which book contained the current version of a model's rules to each model on their website was on their list of things to do.

AndrewGPaul
09-04-2014, 19:03
I've got all the Imperial Armour hardback volumes, including Aeronautica, and the main Apocalypse Rulebook and Warzone: Damnos. I don't have the Imperial Armour: Apocalypse book or Warzone Damocles, though. I could perhaps make a start at such an index after Salute.

full_blooded_ork
09-04-2014, 20:53
Imperial Armour Volume One- Second Edition has hull points in the profiles for all of its tanks, so it is clearly a 6th ed book.

edit: of course, with the new AM codex coming out, it will need FAQing to prevent people from taking 55 point chimeras.

Agreed, which is why my group doesn't use forgeworld without opponets permission. I could see a loopwhole like that exploited.

Sgt John Keel
09-04-2014, 21:00
No; the list in IA9 was an update of the Imperial Guard Drop Troops list from IA3 (and the one in IA3 2nd edition is an update of that).

There's an update to construct a D-99 list from the Kastorel-Novem list at http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/i/Impgupdate.pdf but the link is not available, as far as I can tell, at Forge World's Downloads page.

leopard
09-04-2014, 21:53
Would suggest for anything competitive whatever is the most recent publication with rules for 'x' should be fine, slight variations and differing points costs being also fine if they are part of an actual list not just an entry to bolt onto other things (like how DKoK can have different values for some stuff).

As for using older books, don't see why not if both players agree, will be a bit of work and would certainly help to have an understanding of the older rules so as to be able to adapt stuff