PDA

View Full Version : Bretonnians as Empire

Banville
10-04-2014, 14:04
I just bought the Empire Army Book out of curiosity as much as anything else. I had the game Battle Masters as a youngster and have always had a soft spot for the boys in the slashed sleeves and the powder-burned faces ever since. My main army is Bretonnia and has been fro years. Along with a lot of players, I find that particular army very effective in 8th in spite of all the doom and gloom on the interwebz. Not as effective as in seventh, but then again, Brets were as close to an auto-win using the 7th ruleset as you could get before Daemons came and finally killed that edition.

Just cast an eye over the Empire stuff for the last couple of days has made me realise that it would be absolutely feasible to built a perfectly decent Empire Army out of the 5000pts + of Brets that I happen to own. The only thing is my Knights are all painted in individual colour schemes as per Bretonnian fluff. I've bought a couple of cannon and some handgunners just to give the thing the feel of an Empire Army as well.

Could anyone see any problems playing an Empire Army made up of knights, halberdiers some artillery with a few supporting detachments of handgunners and archers, even though the army is patently made up of 90 per cent Bretonnian models?

Urgat
10-04-2014, 15:08
No problem, nope. The role of each unit would be pretty evident, and they basically are the same dudes in different clothes, so it's perfectly fine.

Spider-pope
10-04-2014, 18:20
Could anyone see any problems playing an Empire Army made up of knights, halberdiers some artillery with a few supporting detachments of handgunners and archers, even though the army is patently made up of 90 per cent Bretonnian models?

As long as it does the same thing i require of any "counts as" army - internally consistent so a Man-at-arms with a Halberd is always a halbedier, and not a halbedier, a swordsman, a greatsword and a warrior priest - i'd have zero problem with playing against such an army.

Banville
10-04-2014, 19:58
As long as it does the same thing i require of any "counts as" army - internally consistent so a Man-at-arms with a Halberd is always a halbedier, and not a halbedier, a swordsman, a greatsword and a warrior priest - i'd have zero problem with playing against such an army.

Yeah, it's all internally consistent. I have the same feelings about counts as as you do, obviously. Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty much good to go, I think.

Wesser
11-04-2014, 12:18
The real problem is ofc tying other state troops in with Archers and halberdiers... which is frankly whi never did this

laribold
11-04-2014, 16:52
The real problem is ofc tying other state troops in with Archers and halberdiers... which is frankly whi never did this

There are other state troops? I don't think I've ever seen them.

Come to think of it, I've hardly seen a state troop for months now. They must be feeding them to all those demigryphs...

Wesser
12-04-2014, 07:39
I'm oddball. If it does not have a preponderance of state troops then it isn't an Empire army.

I've heard about Knightly Orders armies uses the Empire book...but they ain't Empire...nope they ain't

Banville
12-04-2014, 21:07
Well I'm only going to run three blocks of ten knights at 3000pts. I'll be breaking out all 60 of my Men at Arms/halberdiers and all 40 archers. I've managed to get hold of 40 handgunners, too. Not optimal but nothing screams Empire more than black powder weapons fired by soldiers who can't hit a brick wall at long range.