PDA

View Full Version : A web exclusive model for buying a web exclusive model?

ashc
11-04-2014, 19:36
That's right, you heard it here first...

http://www.tabletopgamingnews.com/2014/04/11/87086/

How very meta, Games Workshop...

MusingWarboss
11-04-2014, 19:55
Lovely. Expect these on eBay in a few months listed under "OOP, Web Exclusive" - usual pricing of course.

I do believe GW has found a way to make more money from ebay scalpers! Well played GW, well played! *claps hands*

duffybear1988
11-04-2014, 22:34
Somebody should let GW know that captains have other combat weapon choices. Powerfists are so over used. Couldn't we have one with an axe or spear? Anything to break the bland fisting.

Inquisitor Engel
11-04-2014, 22:44
This is not how you do loyalty.

GW really, really needs to hire someone who's worked in the loyalty industry before. I keep seeing them throw stuff at the wall, but it's just not like... There.

darren redstar
11-04-2014, 22:47
Bland fisting *chortle*

MusingWarboss
11-04-2014, 23:10
Those aren't power fists, they're normal hands! These models are in the new UltraHeroic Scale now. Sometimes UltraHeroic scale miniatures have much smaller heads than usual too. :shifty:

Wayshuba
11-04-2014, 23:13
Wow.. two models. So for spending $100 you get a code that let's you spend another $30..... Once again, a single 28mm mono-pose plastic model for $30... GW is TRULY off of their rockers. There pricing has reached a point of insanity.

That and a featured $1,626 dollar Imperial Army.... yeah the 16 year olds are lining up to snatch these up in droves.

Can we all say... GW must really be hurting for revenue right now?

Bigglesworth
11-04-2014, 23:20
I wonder if this is a good time to start hording tactical squads and other popular kits as ebay investments...

ebbwar
12-04-2014, 00:13
Somebody should let GW know that captains have other combat weapon choices. Powerfists are so over used. Couldn't we have one with an axe or spear? Anything to break the bland fisting.

While they are letting GW know, they should remind them there are things other than SM Captains that could be done. Unless Codex: 1000 Space Marine Captains Chapter is on the way... :D

MusingWarboss
12-04-2014, 01:36
While they are letting GW know, they should remind them there are things other than SM Captains that could be done. Unless Codex: 1000 Space Marine Captains Chapter is on the way... :D

It's for a new skirmish game that they're releasing which bares no resemblance at all to anyone's IP ever. It's called "Space Marine Captain Scarletticus" and involves an invincible Blood Angles Captain leading a load of other Space Marine Captains from different chapters around whilst looking for the Mysterious Necterons.

I hear it'll be a limited edition, limited to anyone who wants to buy it from eBay where 98% of all copies will end up.

:D

Voss
12-04-2014, 07:26

At least this one has a smaller scabbard. :shifty: I dub him Sir Little Skully.

Yeah... class me as baffled on this one. For one, I'm not sure why the world needs yet more space marine captains, and the chapter specific banner doesn't help either.
I thought the free bonus one was unnecessary and unwanted. They want actual money for the second? In ridiculous amounts? Feh.

theJ
12-04-2014, 07:57
...ok, I think I'm willing to believe the "GW is trying to artificially boost webshop sales to justify the new webshop" theory now...
Luckily, at least it won't work on me; What use would I have for even more captains, anyway? It's not like I'd ever use more than one in a list, is it?

duffybear1988
12-04-2014, 10:57
A new plastic techmarine with servo arm, wolf priest (who still lacks a model), techpriest engineseer, brotherhood champion, emperors champion, canoness, ministorum priest, officio assassin, inquisitor. Plenty of other better choices and they went for a dreary captain.

Wayshuba
12-04-2014, 12:31
A new plastic techmarine with servo arm, wolf priest (who still lacks a model), techpriest engineseer, brotherhood champion, emperors champion, canoness, ministorum priest, officio assassin, inquisitor. Plenty of other better choices and they went for a dreary captain.

Worse.. they went for two SM captains. The "free" one that you get for spending at least $100 (doesn't seem that free now does it), and the $30 one for using a code that comes with the first one.

dangerboyjim
12-04-2014, 12:45
I wish they would film the meetings when they decide how they are going market their products.

There's a thought process behind all this but I can't quite figure it out.

EmperorNorton
12-04-2014, 14:00
I wish they would film the meetings when they decide how they are going market their products.
How much are you willing to pay for that?

dangerboyjim
12-04-2014, 14:15
How much are you willing to pay for that?

Well played!

MajorWesJanson
12-04-2014, 14:18

I would much prefer all those models to be given normal releases so I can buy them normally. SM captains have other options, so making a limited version does not punish anyone who wants a captain model in plastic, as there are alternatives. These are just prestige models, the first a callback to an old model, and the second a modular kit with lots of useful pieces that can easily be spread around to other models.

The second one does not have chapter specific banner either. The UM symbol is a decal. It's a nice generic banner if you look at the sprue. And both arms are easily swapped out for different loadouts. The second one is also "clean" enough that I may just give him a combi-weapon and use him as a Sternguard sergeant.

Sephillion
12-04-2014, 17:47
Who's the ***** at GW who thinks a monopose SM captain is worth remotely close to 30$??? :mad:

Also, no, GW, we don't usually buy plasma pistol. I don't know anyone who does, I don't know anyone who thinks it's a good investment, I don't recall EVER seeing a list with a plasma pistol, unless it was going for a plasma theme (and even then...).

That aside, the model is kinda nice...

Spider-pope
12-04-2014, 19:02
Wow.. two models. So for spending $100 you get a code that let's you spend another $30..... Once again, a single 28mm mono-pose plastic model for $30... GW is TRULY off of their rockers. There pricing has reached a point of insanity.

That and a featured $1,626 dollar Imperial Army.... yeah the 16 year olds are lining up to snatch these up in droves.

Can we all say... GW must really be hurting for revenue right now?

Don't buy it then. And i'm pretty sure the Regiment set isn't aimed at 16 year olds doing paper rounds.

A Space Marine captain can be used by Space Wolves, Dark Angels, Blood Angels and Space Marines of all colours and creeds. Like it or not, they are the most common army so it makes sense to make a model thats useable by the majority, even if the rest of us would rather see something different.

Wayshuba
12-04-2014, 19:09
Anyone else find it ironic that the last availability dates on these "limited edition" plastics happen to fall very close to the close of the current GW financial period?

Me thinks there is trouble in Nottingham. Seems GW is pulling all the stops this last six months to get peeps to buy more.

Wayshuba
12-04-2014, 19:16
Don't buy it then. And i'm pretty sure the Regiment set isn't aimed at 16 year olds doing paper rounds.

I'm not going to buy it, nor the $100 deal either. I'm pretty sure it isn't aimed at 16 year olds either. The point is, for new customers seeing a price like that all together is a major deterrent. And for the married, older peeps that could probably afford the $1,626 - I'm sure their spouses wouldn't miss that from the bank account. These are toy soldiers, for jeepers sake. Seeing something that costs more than a major appliance looks a bit stupid, don't you think? I mean you can buy an iPod, iPhone AND an iPad for less money than some plastic soldiers. Tell me that makes any sense whatsoever.

A Space Marine captain can be used by Space Wolves, Dark Angels, Blood Angels and Space Marines of all colours and creeds. Like it or not, they are the most common army so it makes sense to make a model thats useable by the majority, even if the rest of us would rather see something different.

You mean like this one (http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Space-Marine-Commander) that comes with three different heads, nine weapon options, costs almost 30% less and doesn't require me to first spend $100 on other stuff? Once again, GW shows their insanity with their pricing. That second captain should be $10-$15 at most, since it is only acquired by first spending $100. So our reward for spending $100 is to have a mono-pose Space Marine for more money?

Voss
12-04-2014, 19:33
Right. And they did that, as silly as it was. Then they followed it up with another nigh-identical model for one of the most common models in the game. Why not have a different web exclusive model for another army or even (gasp) product line? They still have two others that they'll (probably) support for another 10 years. Well, maybe two or three in the case of the Tolkien menagerie, barring terrible Silmarillion films.

azhagmorglum
12-04-2014, 23:38
Are they supposed to get a return on investment on the molds for those two exclusive models? Because if molds for plastic models are supposingly that expensive then these models may not be profitable. That or GW figured a way to produce cheaper molds which then would mean that their latest plastic kits prices are a ripoff.

Guess which hypothesis is more plausible? :shifty:

BTJ
13-04-2014, 00:15
Are they supposed to get a return on investment on the molds for those two exclusive models? Because if molds for plastic models are supposingly that expensive then these models may not be profitable. That or GW figured a way to produce cheaper molds which then would mean that their latest plastic kits prices are a ripoff.

Guess which hypothesis is more plausible? :shifty:
Aluminium moulds as opposed to steel. They're cheaper, but don't last anywhere near as long. Aluminium moulds aren't suitable for continuously available items, but they're just fine for limited editions. And I actually like both those captain minis. The first one is free, so not really something you can complain about anyway. I love the leg armour on the second, but IMO think he'd be better off with the relic blade from the Vanguard kit and a MKIV helmet with a horsehair crest. Which is a conversion I fully intend on doing if I pick him up

Trasvi
13-04-2014, 06:49
I just feel like there are so damn many space marine hero models, they could do something different, even if they kept it as space marines. Do people really even field space marine captains in game?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Iamcantor
13-04-2014, 07:46
Oh my god gw give a model away for free!!! And you lot still sit at your keyboards and rage. What is the problem if you want £60 of stuff you get a bit extra, if you don't want £60 of stuff you don't. What did you want gw to send out millions of free models to people who have bought stuff before? Then there is but ANOTHER space marine argument. So its a FREE model for the iconic and by far most popular army in gw, possibly the entirety of table top war gaming and its still the wrong choice? Really people, really? Try thinking before typing yeah?

duffybear1988
13-04-2014, 12:25
At GW prices nothing is free...

AlexHolker
13-04-2014, 13:13
Anyone else find it ironic that the last availability dates on these "limited edition" plastics happen to fall very close to the close of the current GW financial period?
That's not irony. That's the exact opposite of irony.

Andy089
13-04-2014, 14:57
I don't get it. There are like 20 space marine leader characters already out there. And the new ones do not bring anything to the table that hasn't been there *cough* lance *cough*.
I would like that second model (mainly for bits) but I don't want to spend 100 quid on stuff I don't really want (even if I get a free model with it) to buy an already overpriced model. Ebay it is I suppose.
I can see how one can spend an awful lot of money on a really unique, detailed HQ. But monopose minis are kind of useless for that.

Old School
14-04-2014, 12:41
GW really are scraping the barrel now. I never fell for the recent web exclusive SM captain and, therefore, have the common sense not to waste $30 on another SM captain that would only end up lying in my rather large, 'miniatures-to-paint' box.

torealis
15-04-2014, 19:00
Oh my god gw give a model away for free!!! And you lot still sit at your keyboards and rage. What is the problem if you want £60 of stuff you get a bit extra, if you don't want £60 of stuff you don't. What did you want gw to send out millions of free models to people who have bought stuff before? Then there is but ANOTHER space marine argument. So its a FREE model for the iconic and by far most popular army in gw, possibly the entirety of table top war gaming and its still the wrong choice? Really people, really? Try thinking before typing yeah?

Quoted for emphasis. These are literally optional extras. Surely for people that want them, they're awesome, and for people that don't they either get one model for free when ordering other things, or just ignore the whole thing?

Verm1s
15-04-2014, 20:20
These are literally optional extras.

Nope. They're incentives. They're a pusher dangling a 'free' sample under a junky's nose.

Mordor Squirrel
16-04-2014, 00:39
Oh my god gw give a model away for free!!! And you lot still sit at your keyboards and rage. What is the problem if you want £60 of stuff you get a bit extra, if you don't want £60 of stuff you don't. What did you want gw to send out millions of free models to people who have bought stuff before?

Quoted for emphasis. These are literally optional extras. Surely for people that want them, they're awesome, and for people that don't they either get one model for free when ordering other things, or just ignore the whole thing?

Because it does little to promote the hobby?

Not a Space Marine player? Not a 40k player? Swimming in Space Marine Captains? Already spent £60 this month and have your freebie and have no use for another?

The "free" model only has a limited appeal.

Given that it is COSTING GW money to offer this promo (design, tooling, production, packaging, lost SM captain sales, etc) they COULD have taken that approx. £5 per freebie COST TO THEM and instead offered an EQUIVALENT VALUE bonus in a different way - for example spend £60 and receive £5 off, or a £5 credit for your next purchase for additional models or similar.

That way for the same amount of money lost you have a bonus that appeals to a much wider range of people: A WHFB or LotRs player? No problem spend it on your system. Already have too many captains? Spend it on something that you actually need. Already spent £60 and received your bonus? Spend another £60 and use your second bonus to buy something completely different.

In other words something that for the same effort on the part of GW would have been more likely to produce the desired effect (increase sales).

Try thinking before typing yeah?

You could follow your own advice...

duffybear1988
16-04-2014, 08:57
Thing is the prices are so damn high for all GW products now that calling it a freebee is pretty laughable anyway. They should have worded it like this - Buy £30 worth of GW products for double the price and get a "free" limited edition figure and the option to buy another one...

Sureshot05
16-04-2014, 13:41
How far will GW take this?

Will this model come with a code to unlock another web exclusive model?

Maybe it will unlock a web exclusive video which can be viewed to buy a web exclusive ebook which contains a code using the first letter of each page to a web exclusive miniature you can buy for £200? I need to see the end of this rabbit hole.

biccat
16-04-2014, 13:58
I literally cannot see how this model is any different than any of the other space marine captains with back banner that has been offered dozens of times before.

Is it because the scabbard has skulls? Because honestly, it looks like just a generic space marine character.

I guess I have been away from 40k for too long. All of the Space Marines look the same to me.

Konovalev
16-04-2014, 17:39
I mean you can buy an iPod, iPhone AND an iPad for less money than some plastic soldiers. Tell me that makes any sense whatsoever.

The fact that people set fire to their money to buy a new iPod/Phone/Pad every other year makes no sense to begin with.

theJ
16-04-2014, 18:14
I literally cannot see how this model is any different than any of the other space marine captains with back banner that has been offered dozens of times before.

Is it because the scabbard has skulls? Because honestly, it looks like just a generic space marine character.

I guess I have been away from 40k for too long. All of the Space Marines look the same to me.

Well, this one's standing on a skull AND a rock, so that's something... Also, I don't think I've seen rope wired around a banner in quite that fashion before.... um... he's got a slightly different beast plate...? c'mon guys, help me out here!

Seriously though, as you say, he's a pretty generic model. A good looking generic model, but a generic model nontheless. If you're really in the mood to paint another generic captain, and the one you had to get in order to get this one wasn't enough to still your appetite, then I guess he's a pretty good choice.
For those of you with better taste, but still into the whole space marine thing, I'd like to remind you that the four captains released alongside Apocalypse are still available... for less monies;
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Space-Marine-Captain-Master-of-the-Rites
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Space-Marine-Captain-Lord-Executioner
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Space-Marine-Captain-Master-of-the-Marches
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Space-Marine-Captain-Master-of-Relics

Cheers :)

azhagmorglum
16-04-2014, 18:53
For those of you with better taste, but still into the whole space marine thing, I'd like to remind you that the four captains released alongside Apocalypse are still available... for less monies;

And those were already too expensive in the first place...

I agree that a discount voucher would have surely had more impact and attract more people. Even though these models are nice, I'm sure that the majority of them will end up on ebay for double the price, because not everybody plays marines.
And I said before, how can they be sure to get a return on investment* on the molds for those two ultra limited plastic models? Because I can't see GW spending money in the void just to "reward" their customer.

* edit : moreover the first model is kind of free, so it means that the £60 spent in the first time on other models are paying for the production costs of the LE space marine. Which by extension would mean that any GW product is paying somewhat for the costs of other products, hence the prices are virtually inflated to cover for any loss from undersold items

Dryaktylus
16-04-2014, 19:30
I'd like to remind you that the four captains released alongside Apocalypse are still available... for less monies;
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Space-Marine-Captain-Master-of-the-Rites
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Space-Marine-Captain-Lord-Executioner
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Space-Marine-Captain-Master-of-the-Marches
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Space-Marine-Captain-Master-of-Relics

As are these guys (http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Space-Marine-Masters-of-the-Chapter) for even less (per model).

Hum... I remember the battle report alongside the Lustria campaign with an "army" full of characters... so, why not a bunch of Captains. Codex: Space Marine Captains. With an extra mission taking place when the enemy disturbes something like the Feast of Blades.:cool:

Hengist
18-04-2014, 11:35
While it's nice enough to receive a 'free' gift from GW that I shouldn't complain, two limited edition Space Marine Captains are a bridge too far for me. It doesn't help that neither is very exciting as a model compared with the plethora of similar models already available.

MusingWarboss
18-04-2014, 20:16
In some ways though its very difficult to make a Space Marine that looks that different from other Space Marines without it looking so different or specific that it alienates many SM players. Just be thankful it wasn't a SM Captain with boob armour*. Which is about the only place they can go now without it looking like one of the thousands of other designs we've seen already since 1987.

Or an obese marine.

*There may have been one in about 88/89 but it wasn't an SM, just a lady in power armour.

Wayshuba
18-04-2014, 22:29
In some ways though its very difficult to make a Space Marine that looks that different from other Space Marines without it looking so different or specific that it alienates many SM players. Just be thankful it wasn't a SM Captain with boob armour*. Which is about the only place they can go now without it looking like one of the thousands of other designs we've seen already since 1987.

Or an obese marine.

*There may have been one in about 88/89 but it wasn't an SM, just a lady in power armour.

You're right here. What they should have done is released an Ender Wiggin (from Ender's Game) in power armor (or armour, depending on which side of the pond you're from). That would have been something unique!!!

MusingWarboss
18-04-2014, 23:14
Or a Squat/Fimir mercenary with dataslate saying he's usable with any army as a character... :shifty:

Jorkin Thunderclaw
24-04-2014, 10:55
Daft question here probably, but I ordered 60 odd quids worth of spray and glue as I made a resolution to finally paint all my Bretonnians this year (15,000 odd points worth). So yeah I got the free Captain and the code for the second one. If any one wants to drop me a PM for the second guy because they're desperate to spend £18 on a mono pose Captain, then you can have my code.

Sephillion
24-04-2014, 18:07

Or an obese marine.

They could at least include different weapons – power spear has been mentioned, or at least power mace/power axe. It would change from the various swords. And also, again, not include plasma pistols? Honestly I would have gone with a marine with a very specific pose – like he’s swinging his weapon or jumping screaming over the corpse of a fallen foe, cloak floating in the wind… or maybe a battle-hardened captain with damaged armor, scars and a wicked grin, “I’m still alive, come at me”. I don’t know, something at least somewhat different.

…but seeing the result when they try to do dynamic models (looking at some WFB models specifically) maybe it’s for the better…

MusingWarboss
24-04-2014, 19:00
…but seeing the result when they try to do dynamic models (looking at some WFB models specifically) maybe it’s for the better…

I would say so. Rather than screaming over the body of a fallen foe it'd look more like he was screaming in a particularly unfortunate manner as he tripped over the body and is about to face plant the ground.

Damaged Dan
25-04-2014, 14:20
Because it does little to promote the hobby?

Not a Space Marine player? Not a 40k player? Swimming in Space Marine Captains? Already spent £60 this month and have your freebie and have no use for another?

The "free" model only has a limited appeal.

Given that it is COSTING GW money to offer this promo (design, tooling, production, packaging, lost SM captain sales, etc) they COULD have taken that approx. £5 per freebie COST TO THEM and instead offered an EQUIVALENT VALUE bonus in a different way - for example spend £60 and receive £5 off, or a £5 credit for your next purchase for additional models or similar.

That way for the same amount of money lost you have a bonus that appeals to a much wider range of people: A WHFB or LotRs player? No problem spend it on your system. Already have too many captains? Spend it on something that you actually need. Already spent £60 and received your bonus? Spend another £60 and use your second bonus to buy something completely different.

In other words something that for the same effort on the part of GW would have been more likely to produce the desired effect (increase sales).

You could follow your own advice...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xsp ace+marine+web+exclusive&_nkw=space+marine+web+exclusive&_sacat=0&_from=R40

(Assuming this link works) Problem solved! If, for some crazy reason, you buy 60 GBP of product direct from GW and don't want the SM captain, you can get almost half your money back thanks to the poor fools that have the inverse problem.
By all means complain about the price of the 2nd mini. It is outrageous. I for one like the second captain, however.

At the end of the day, the "free" model for spending £60 is the same sort of incentive as getting free delivery for spending £40. If you're not already close to ordering that amount, then you have no reason to spend the difference. It's one thing to complain about inflated prices, it is another entirely to complain about good business practice.

Rick_1138
25-04-2014, 14:34
The fun thing is, when you order the second captain with the code, his cost goes towards another £60 and another first captain...then cycle repeats haha

As I need lots of Eldar, this is getting into an odd cycle of debt....

Sephillion
25-04-2014, 16:09
I would say so. Rather than screaming over the body of a fallen foe it'd look more like he was screaming in a particularly unfortunate manner as he tripped over the body and is about to face plant the ground.

That could be amazing in its own way…