PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about the Chasm of Fire (and objective rooms in general)

Itsacon
19-04-2014, 08:22
Yesterday we played adventure 6 for the Chasm of Fire (kill the Skaven engineer before he collapses the city). But some questions came up, and I am curious how other people deal with this.

We rolled 8 on the number of monsters. The CoF board doesn't exactly have a lot of room, with half the room being lava, and (in our case) 5 warriors already on one side of the chasm.
My question: where do you place the monsters in that situation? Do you place them all on the CoF board section (so with more than half of them on the other side of the bridge, meaning they can only attack one-by-one as they cross the bridge), or do you place some of them in the last room the Warriors were in, so more of them can attack at once once the first have been killed?

Second, more generic question: In that mission, it says there's an exit behind the statue. When we had killed all the monsters, the Warriors were still all on the other side of the bridge. Is the objective met when all the monsters are dead, or when all the warriors are in a position where they can get out (in this case, on the other side of the bridge, near the statue)?

I ask since we decided we still had to cross the bridge, but due to the way the warriors were positioned (not in initiative order), that took several turns. And right at that moment the Wizard started rolling ones and a bunch of Minotaurs showed up...

So: Is the adventure over when the objective room monsters are killed (and there are no other special tests described in the adventure book), and is it assumed that with the monsters dead, they can always safely find the exit, or do you play to the bitter end?

Daemonslave
19-04-2014, 09:23
I suppose it depends on the mission. If you are sent to retrieve treasure or someone then as soon as you have done so I see no problem in legging it. However if the mission asks you to kill someone then you need to do that.

I suppose you could argue that in order to search for an exit / move a big statue out of the way, would leave you vulnerable to attack so I could understand if the dungeon master insists on you killing all the monsters first.

Personally I would make them have to clear the room first, then when empty search for an exit. If, once found, more monsters turn up then they would be ok to leg it (if they could escape pinning etc)

As for placing monsters - usually they are placed next to the warriors or as close as you can get otherwise - if this means some on the same board and some on another then so be it

Richard
19-04-2014, 18:18
I agree with Daemonslave with all comments, the way we place the models down here is by standard rules of quest but with shooting types we place them further away. take a paper play game I play with my family, 6 orcs 2 bows 4 swords and shields, 2 black orcs and warboss. we place the swords one each of the players the bows far end and the black orcs adjacent to the warboss half way into the room. just seems rite in that respect as theme wise that's how I think it would be. with the idol or statue room, all monsters must be destroyed before moving or searching commences we found it easier that way.

Itsacon
19-04-2014, 20:11
The problem with placing them in this situation, is that you can't all place them in base contact. So in that situation, do you favour the rule that says they should all be on the same board section, or the rule that says they should be as close to the warriors as possible?

Daemonslave
19-04-2014, 20:28
The problem with placing them in this situation, is that you can't all place them in base contact. So in that situation, do you favour the rule that says they should all be on the same board section, or the rule that says they should be as close to the warriors as possible?

Unless archers, all monsters should be placed in adjacent squares to the warriors. Then start filling up any empty squares in the room (as near the Warriors as possible). If there is not enough squares in the room then place them on a board that has been used (not a board section the Warriors haven't gone through yet).

:)

BigRob
20-04-2014, 09:50
Yes, it does state in the rules that any monsters without a space on the current board section are placed on previous ones, so in this case once the chasm room is full, place them in the corridor or room the players entered by. It also says (IIRC it's been a while) once EVERY space in the dungeon is full you do not place any further monsters as "the players have quite enough on their hands already!"

I would always put monsters where it makes sense. Archers and Wizards go on the other side of the chasm or up on the Idol or somewhere the warriors will have to work to get to. The melee monsters round the warriors and any sneaky things like assassins. Boss monsters further back directing the minions and mocking the heroes.

Yes you will have to cross the chasm and exit by the door, otherwise....you won't get to roll on that delightful chasm crossing table ;)

Itsacon
20-04-2014, 21:07
Glad to see everyone here would have made the same decision I made (Skaven on the same board section across the bridge, even though that meant they could only attack/be killed one by one), and after killing everyone, the Warriors had to cross the bridge before the adventure was over (even though that meant most of 'em didn't survive the adventure, damn minotaurs).