PDA

View Full Version : Ten things every WFB newbie should know

anarchistica
12-06-2005, 23:35
During your first couple of games, you always learn some invaluable lessons. Over the years you get more experience and get better. The same goes for painting and modelling. I think it'd be interesting if we all make a list of 5 things relating to those 2 aspects of the hobby that ever newbie should know about. Don't be afraid to repeat things, it only makes the point more valuable. WFB isn't about killing every model, it's about breaking units. If you can break units, you can win battles.
Command groups are worth it and should be taken in most cases (no standards on sacrifical/flanking units). Never ever leave home without a musician!
Fear isn't all about auto-breaking if you win combat and outnumber the enemy. Anyone who wants to fight you has to pass a Ld test, and you're immune to Fear yourself as well. People often forget about that and are obsessed with making sure their Fear-causing troops outnumber the enemy.
Discuss any terrain features, all units and any house rules before the game. If two people know your Cold Ones have to take a Stupidity test at the start of each of your turns, you might not remember it only by turn 4.
Don't be cheap with unit sizes. Most infantry units should consist of 20-25 models. Elite units can do with smaller units (as few as 10 if used in support), really cheap units (Slaven, Goblins) need far bigger units (30-40). Cavalry usually comes in units of 5, 6, 8, 9 (or 12 for Bretonnia). Modelling, painting, etc:
Thin your paint. Paint many thin layers rather than one thick layer.
Glue the model to it's base, and glue anything solid (not static grass, etc) onto the base before undercoating.
Paint pots. If you have some of those old paint pots, store them upside down. What applies to all pots is that you must make sure they're airtight if you close them (no paint between the lid) and add a couple of drops after using the paint. I really wish i'd known this about 20 dried up paint pots ago.
To glue things on a base, use PVA glue. To glue plastic, buy plastic glue (polysterene cement) tubes; don't buy GW's glue bottles, they always dry out rapidly and using them is torture. The same goes for metal glue (super glue); get it somewhere else! As a matter of fact, you can get most things GW sells elsewhere. Miniatures, paint, scenery, glues, tools, cases; you can get cheaper and sometimes higher quality stuff elsewhere (or make it yourself, a painting station of actually useful size is dead easy to make). The only things that are really worth it are the "yellow grip" clippers (best in the world), the drill and possibly the wire-cutter. Oh, and the minis are pretty good too. ;)
Look on the net for painting tutorials. Aside from the part where you must thin your paint, it is important to keep in mind that you do not have to paint every detail on your mini. Many players don't paint eyes and at first don't highlight either. Be comfortable with the brush (size 1 or 2; 5x0 for tiny details) before you do that kind of stuff. Oh, and if you use ink,

tzeentchgiant
12-06-2005, 23:38
Good stuff there, especially in the P&T aspects, but I feel number four should be changed to

4. GW is not God

TG

samw
13-06-2005, 00:40
Well modelling and painting aren't my strong points, but playing I can offer some tips:

1) Don't try to run before you can walk. For your first army pick a force that is somewhat forgiving and will allow you to actually learn the rules. Chaos Mortals, Empire and Orcs and Goblins are prime candidates. Elves (whatever type), and the Undead (Khemri and VC) should best be avoided.

2) Don't be afraid to ask questions, and always get a second opinion. The person to look out for is the one that still points out rules when he won't benefit e.g. "actually you won that combat cause you have high ground, looks like I'm fleeing, oh well ;) "

3) BUY THE BIG RED BOOK! It is supremely useful. Keep it and your army book in your carry case at all times. Even if you are sure about a rule nothing quashes your opponent's gripes like a few choice phrases from the WHFB Bible.

4) Write it down. This may seem strange but take a piece of plain paper and physically write movement, magic, shooting, combat. When something happens that you will need to remember write it down e.g. "dispel 'Curse of Years' from general's unit in own magic phase" , "guess cannon range before shooting handgunners" etc. This will not only help you, but stop arguments with your opponent over what happens to that unit you forgot to rally. Better Karma all round.

5) It's only a game, so have fun. When your cannon blows up smile, when your fanatics crash into your own units chuckle, and when every single thing goes wrong remember, better generals than you have lost battles. See the comedy in errors. :)

Darmort
13-06-2005, 01:05
Don't be cheap with unit sizes. Most infantry units should consist of 20-25 models. Elite units can do with smaller units (as few as 10 if used in support), really cheap units (Slaven, Goblins) need far bigger units (30-40). Cavalry usually comes in units of 5, 6, 8, 9 (or 12 for Bretonnia).

Actually, you don't need to make Foot units large, you can play a horde of MSU.

1) Don't try to run before you can walk. For your first army pick a force that is somewhat forgiving and will allow you to actually learn the rules. Chaos Mortals, Empire and Orcs and Goblins are prime candidates. Elves (whatever type), and the Undead (Khemri and VC) should best be avoided.

Vampire Counts/Tomb Kings are very forgiving, Elves aren't. Chaos is not actually very easy to use either, seeing as how most of them are so expensive.

1; Always check a unit's abilities, don't just add a unit of Chaos Warriors with Halberds because they're good and strong with a high Initiative, think, what is this unit going to do? Flank? Centre charge? Think carefully.

2; Never go all out to win, sure you get trounced a lot, but you learn more from defeat than by winning. So don't just go all Chaos Knights because they're hard to kill, in a tournament, people will pt your sportsmanship down with that kind of thing.

3; Try to keep one step ahead of the enemy, although this is hard, it can be done easily. Just keep your cool and look at your opponents movements.

4; Never charge a unit of harrassers (Shades, Shadow Warriors, Huntsmen, et cetera) into a ranked up unit. You'll loose, even if you manage to somehow deny ranks. Shoot them instead.

5; You don't have to fill up your Special and Rare choices, indeed, I've played an army without any Special or Rare choices before, and did alright. Core Units can sometimes be more effective.

Lordmonkey
13-06-2005, 01:41
Nice thread anarchista. Right, here goes...

Gaming Tips:

1. WFB is a game of strategy, tactics and cunning. The beauty of the granddaddy of all GW games is that the better general tends to win, as opposed to the better army. Used correctly, a unit of lowly goblins can anihillate a unit of powerful chaos warriors.
2. Before immediately choosing the strongest characters and tooling them all up with every single magic item available, use your brain and think of your army. Battles in WFB are won by armies, not individuals.
3. Psychology is paramount. Whether it be rank and file men of the empire, hordes of spooky supernatural undead, or frothing fearless warriors of khorne, the psychological rules associated (or not as the case may be) with some troops dictates how tactically flexible they are. Do not be suprised if your expensive unit of chaos knights of khorne are drawn into a trap becaues they are forced to charge an enemy decoy due to frenzy. Do not be dumbstruck should a panicked unit cause nearby skavenslaves to run off the board.
4. Where possible, always consider the overall flexibility of your army. Does it contain flying units, to hunt wizards or war machines, or even slow down enemy marchers? Is there enough magical/combat support in the form of characters? Have you considered units for flanking? Have you considered methods of flank defence? Etc...
5. This is not WH40K. Excepting skirmishers, units fight in regimented formations, and have a frontal arc of vision. Units are less manouverable than in 40k, they wheel, turn, redress ranks and reform. If a unit should somehow get behind your lines you could be in serious trouble, and turning around to meet the threat, breaking the battleline, can be extremely disrupting for most armies. Everything has a movement value which should always be considered, e.g. A unit with a movement value of 3" makes for a crap flanker.

It's a bit difficult to give advice on painting without diagrams but i'll give it my best shot...

Painting Tips:

1: Always ALWAYS water down your paint, even slightly. Several sucessive layers of watered down paint achieves a better blend of shading, and doesn't obscure the detail of the model.
2. Never leave your brushes standing in the waterpot. Waking up in the morning to find you need to add "Expensive fine detail brush replacement" to the shopping list is not the most pleasant of experiences.
3.Make sure your paints are kept free of dry paint around the rims. This will ensure they are sealed and stop them from drying up.
4. Do not drybrush unless you REALLY feel like you have no other choice. "Timesaving" methods such as this just don't give the satisfying results that hard work, dedication, blood sweat and tears gives. When I spend days on a single model, and put my heart and soul into painting, it really shows. When I spend 5 minutes drybrushing the entire thing, it shows more, and it's wasted money.
5. A Red/Black GW staff shirt does not automatically indicate "God" status (cheers TG). Look for advice not just from employees of GW, but from other gamers. Many a time have I let a GW staff member rant on and on about how their display army is painted to 'top notch' standard to an impressionable kid, only to break out my own miniatures afterwards and actually help the kid learn how to paint properly. (Not to imply that GW store armies are painted *cought*crap*cough*)

skavenguy13
13-06-2005, 01:50
Read the rules carefully.

Even though cheap units like slaves and goblins have very bad stats, they can be very useful.

Always try to see what will happen next and prepare yourself for it.

NEVER underestimate units/characters/machines. I've seen my slaves destroy a 25-strong high elf spearmen unit + general + mage without the help of any other unit. Or my swarms breaking/pursuing boar boyz with general.

That said: it's a bad idea to put all your eggs in the same basket. A flank charge from a ranked unit and you have a good chance of losing your whole unit. Even the "undefeatable" chosen khornate knights.

Units' special abilities are often very useful. Try to take advantage from them.

There are several ways to win a game (or lose). Think about all the options you have and choose the best.

THOU SHALT PLAY WITH A BALANCED ARMY.

Artemis_Quinn
13-06-2005, 06:21
My tips include:

- KNOW THE RULES! It's not only game stopping to have to check most of the rules repetatively in the rulebook, but it's just a wee bit annoying as well.

- That said, don't be afraid to ask a few questions if you don't know. Something that is always helpful are cheat sheets, they make the old world go round.

- Know your Army. Basically, don't expect your opponent to know your list for you.

- Ultimately Warhammer is a game of luck. I can have the cheesiest army ever but if I roll ones for everything except LD tests I'll still lose. You have to accept the good with the bad. Don't be upset when your lord on a dragon miraculously doesn't kill a single goblin but recieves one wound in return. That's the sort of thing memorable games are made of.

- Spending so many points on an item that only works once is an item you better hope does what you want it to when you finally decide to use it.

- Frenzy is fun but not without it's problems.

- fear is not insurmountable

- A force that each unit has tasks set for it before the battle is a force taking the initial steps on the road to victory.

- Know the rules for other armies...... it helps when you are selecting + sizing up units.

- You don't have to accept every charge, they make a flee reaction for a reason.

- Beware, flank charges tend to hurt.

- Just because a unit's stats aren't insane and it doesn't have any special weapons or rules of any kind does not mean it is useless.

- Commands are not ALWAYS neccessary....... I run clanrats without them now and they work fine, but they are reccommended.

- ALWAYS have at least one trick up your sleeve, whether it's an assassin, a one use only magic item, a bound spell....... whatever, have something to throw your opponent off.

Ok there's my 2 cents.......... I know a lot of my points are probably stupid and a lot are probably not popular, but They accurately represent what I've learned in my experience with the game.

Snoozer
13-06-2005, 09:32
Ok, lets see if I get 5 gaming tips (In no particular order):

1) For the first games write everything down, it's easy to forget to take animosity, stupidity or any other compulsory test otherwise, it takes a little more time but after a few games you already start to remember them.

2) Don't be afraid to run/flee as a charge reaction, I hade a nasty habit of forgetting this one even when I hade made a plan to do so.

3) Think before you do anything, you don't have to charge just because you can, you must calculate if you even can win and see if you have support units ready, if it turns ugly.

4) Make a overall battle plan, in deploymet think where every unit goes before you deploy your first unit and then plan what you want from every unit and give them a objective/mission, not all units have to get to close combat and kill the enemy.

5) Dont give up even when things look very bad, in a game of warhammer ANYTHING can happen. Never give up, never surrender!!

Modelling and painting isn't really my thing but remember to stretch before you paint, god my back's killing me ;)

:D

Griefbringer
13-06-2005, 10:32
Only ten tips allowed? I try to concentrate on the essentials then.

Gaming:

1.) Rules: own them, know them. Buy the rulebook and read through the rules a couple of times. The basic rules only take a small portion of the whole book, concentrate on them for starters.
2.) Tactics: try to make some basic plan before the game, when selecting your forces. Make your units support each other - even the most powerful unit is in trouble if it gets isolated and surrounded by the enemy.
3.) Combat resolution is important, it is what makes enemy break and flee. Try to make sure you can get a lot of bonuses on this. Outnumbering can make a lot of difference: if you do not get that bonus, your enemy is likely to get it. Rank bonuses are important, just make sure that you will have that fourth rank also after taking some casualties. Flank and rear attacks are powerful.
4.) Missile fire: your bowmen are unlikely to slaughter massive hordes of enemy, so plan ahead with them. Either concentrate fire on certain units to cause panic tests, or shoot at small vulnerable units, or thin down enemy units to later get an advantage (ranks and outnumbering) in close combat.
5.) Psychology is important: especially panic tests can suddenly make large parts on an army running for the hills.

Painting and modelling:

6.) Prepare your models properly: take your time in removing the flash (mould lines) from the model before assembling it. In case of multi-part models, fill in any gaps between parts with some milliput/greenstuff. In case of plastic models, wash them in warm soapy water before assembling, to get away mould residue (that makes it harder for the paint to stick).
7.) Undercoat your models with a primer, either by spray or brush. This forms a layer that your further coats of paint will stick better to.
8.) Protect your finished models with varnish (sealer). This helps to keep the paint from wearing away in use.
9.) Find paints that work for you: there are differences between paint brands, find one that works for you. Don't just grab the first one you can find. I would personally recommend Vallejo currently, but different people prefer different paints.
10.) GW models are not the only ones out there: if you do not like a particular model from GW, or find it to be too pricy, look for alternatives from other manufacturers. There are many good miniature makers there. The only places where use of other manufacturers models is restricted is in GW stores and official GW tournaments.

imthedci
13-06-2005, 16:45
Let's see what I can think of...

1. Rulebook - If you get yourself a copy of the rulebook, make sure to goto the GW site and download the eratta to cut-n-paste into the book. It gets a little confusing if your FLGS still has copies of the first or second printing since some of those rules have been 'tweaked'.

2. Rulebook - If you have a copy of the rulebook, make sure to goto your local office supply store and pick up some sticky index tabs (like the kind that are on a dictionary). Take those tabs and stick them in the book at the start of each of the chapters. Then when you have a rule problem (and you WILL have a rule problem :evilgrin: ), you can just flip to the tab for the section your having a problem with and not worry about spending all day to find the page you need.

3. Bitz - Make sure to hold on to any extra bitz that you don't use from all of your sprues. You never know when you'll have a need for that sword arm or skaven head. Also make sure to label them as 'bitz' or such, as one wouldn't want their mother/gf/wife to 'accidentally' throw out your bitz thinking that it was just a pile of junk. (not that it's happened to me - but I've heard the the tales of woe :eek: )

4. Priming - When priming plastic models make sure to hold the can about 6" (sorry - not too sure about the metric conversion) away from the model. If you have the nozzle too close, the agents in the spray may get onto the model and start to eat away at the plastic. This leaves a texture that looks like fuzzy primer, but remains after the paint has been stripped. (Though I find that lightly scraping the model with scalpel-looking end of the GW modelling tool can remove these 'imperfections' so that you can re-prime :D )

If I think of any others, I shall try to tack them on to this post.

Johnny Bravo
13-06-2005, 18:20
<frantically takes notes>

Thanks everyone, this is definitely a thread to keep subscribed to. I'm far too new to the game to be giving any kind of advice, except for this one little tidbit:

(1) For the love of <insert deity here>, have fun. Be able to laugh if your troops blow something spectacularly, even if they're not Gobbos. Heck, be able to laugh at yourself if you do something especially boneheaded. That goes for everyone, newbs to vets. :)

glimli
14-06-2005, 01:41
when constructing your army and painting take your time dont rush. the stereotypical eyebleed newb army usually stems from impteince rather tha inant lack of artistic ability (there are a few ...).

so when your gluing a model to together try wait unitll one part is nicley glued befoer attaching it to sometihng else. do not try put your steam tank together in 5 mins and hope it will stay glued.

also when painitng just aboutanything wait for one coat or area of detail to dry befero starting another one if you think your likely to make a mistake or smudge. you dont want o try blending untill much later in your painting career. most of the time it will look awfull if you dont know what youre doing (ive been plaing for nearly ten years and can barely do it).

also invest in some sort of decent carry case, nothing makes you army look worse han carrying it around loose in a shoe box. at least fill the box with tissue paper or someinthing. loose models equal breakages and scrathces, making a beginners army look extra extra crap.

anoher thing. dont be rude about peoples armies to their faces ( or just be nice al he time), its not nice and there will be likely someone else there to make your amry look crap. its a bit like going up to someone and saying their wife is fat and ugly, it all ends in tears.

also when your new and you feel you've read the book a few times, you can start to feel a bit of a know all. while its okay to tell your frineds how to play or how crap their list is. its really bad form and annoying if you start doing this to strangers and older gamers. firstly their crap army could proably tear yours a new one, and even then they probably know al the tricks and kweel combos you've just discovered. noone likes having to isten to somone reinvent the wheel. this rule goes double for when their army is actually poorly designed and badly played!

if you take a little time and effort with your army and dont annoy people you should find it easy to get games. if not you can find yourself shunned at clubs and gw shops forced to only play newbs while everyone depsises you more and more.

Mooglemen
14-06-2005, 02:45
Painting tips:

1) Try to avoid painting in hard, direct sunlight. It creates sharp shadows which make it difficult to paint. Along the same lines, find a light source you like and stick with it. It'll make your miniatures looks more consistent. (I use a fluorescent lamp on a swing arm, but that's just me)

2) If it is taking you a long time to finish a miniature, it's not a sign that you suck, its probably a sign that you're doing good work.

3) Don't drink a lot of coffee and start painting. Shaky hands=lots of mistakes

4) Read all the painting tutorials you can find online. Some may be out of your league at the moment, but it's always good to expand your book of painting tricks.

5) Before you start an army, think long and hard about the color scheme you want to use before starting. Its helpful to even do a test figure or two to see if you like the results, but once you have a color scheme, keep it consistent throughout the army so that it looks like a cohesive whole.

samw
14-06-2005, 03:35
Vampire Counts/Tomb Kings are very forgiving, Elves aren't. Chaos is not actually very easy to use either, seeing as how most of them are so expensive.

Yes Vampire Counts are forgiving, but you won't learn the rules of the game. You'll never have to deal with Pyschology, Break Tests or Shooting, and you can raise more troops as the game progresses. They aren't a typical army, especially not for a newbie. Same applies to TK, but I don't think they are particularly forgiving either, relying on quite complex combination of magic and movement to win with. Again not newbie friendly.

With Chaos, in your first few games their superior toughness will see you through. The re-roll on pych tests is excellent for someone who might not realise the implications of their unit panicking. Heavily armoured troops should ensure that at least some troops get into combat. There is nothing more likely to make a newbie stop playing than never getting to fight a combat. Give marauder horsemen the equiptment and you can even have a shooting phase!

x-esiv-4c
14-06-2005, 03:41
Thanks for the info! I'm trying to get into warhammer and by the looks of it, it really looks like a different game then 40k!

Taliesynkp
14-06-2005, 06:22
1. Buy the army book for any army you are considering FIRST. If the army seems ok then start buying mini's. Lots of players bought DE because of the great miniatures only to discover that DE's only got half a book and less than half an army.
2. Practice judging charge ranges. Tis one of the most important skills you can learn.
3. When you loose it wasn't your fault - you were betrayed by your dice!
4. Warhammer has a strong element of Rock - Paper - Scissor Learn what armies your army can't beat and save yourself a lot of grief.
5. If you really want to win, play Chaos.

jesters89
14-06-2005, 06:39
Unless you are at a tournament (or if youre a really great guy and at a tournament), you dont have to look up every rule on the spot. Especially when charges get complicated, etc. If you can find an impartial referee, then split your decision down the middle and roll a dice. The game is much more enjoyable if you keep it going-- after all, its long enough as it is.

Make sure you have adequate time to play. These games can run a long time. Sometimes it pretty cool if you can play a game over several days, a turn a day if you are a really busy person.

Depending on your groups style of play... this may not be the case, but I recommend introducing your troops to one another before the game. I know there is an element of hidden magic weapons in WFB, but my friends still all play open list. It really lightens the mood. Plus, by playing where lists are free to look at, wins are based on strategy alone, not a card up your opponents sleeve.

LAUGH. It is a game. Noone in this forum can emphasize this enough.

Look to portent wanted ads, bartertown, and ebay to get some of your minis/ get rid of them. Theres a large, much cheaper market for minis at these places. It'll save you an arm and a leg. At the same time, if you play at a local, independantly run game store, support it. If you play at a games workshop, meh, let the goliath fend for itself.

woofie
14-06-2005, 09:55
Don't be afraid to LOSE.

Don't give up on the game even if you're in a terrible losing streak.

Most people do, specially if they're new. You would, of course, learn a lot while playing. These forums can teach almost every tactic in the game, but you would always learn more through experience.

Believe me, it took me 2 years and more than 30 games before I finally learned how to make my High Elves army very effective.

Neknoh
14-06-2005, 13:20
The rules of the BRB thou shallst knoweth, shallst thou not the sacred rules knoweth, thyne army cheated will be

Shallst a person claim to win combat without his words saying the results clearly, ask him to recount it for you.

Ask a question where it is needed, if ye do not knoweth a rule, ask the other player for it, cannot the player claiming to have the rule showeth it to ye, do not trust him, for there are players that take advantage of newcomers

Build thyne army, not arround winning, but around fun and a theme worthy of the greatest novelists.

The last and most important rule thou shalst knoweth is not about thyne army, nor is it about thyne opponent, it is only about thyself. Have fun when you play, shallst thou ind yourself arguing about millimeters or the angle of a dice, or with an army such as the Skaven SAD, knoweth in thyne heart that thou now from the true path of Warhammer have strolled

Sgt John Keel
14-06-2005, 17:08
Each and every of these rules have an exception. Except the thinning paint one.

Oh, and watch out for those clippers. They have a habit to break when trying to cut too thick metal. And don't try to cut metal wire with them. They get dull edged then.

/Adrian

Lordmonkey
14-06-2005, 17:25
Thanks for the info! I'm trying to get into warhammer and by the looks of it, it really looks like a different game then 40k!

IMO, Fantasy is an anime series, and 40K is an anime series AFTER 4Kids (http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=145) have gotten their claws on it ;)

Quetzl
14-06-2005, 20:19
I can only think of a coupl point to help people paint their miniatures, this would be.

- Try and paint your units in factory settings, this basically means doing one colour or one painting job at a time for all the models of a unit. So for example I was painting 24 Skinks, I wouldn't go ahead and paint them all seperatly but instead paint them all together, so ink them green first; then drybrush them green etc.
This doesn't only save time in terms of painting models, but it also has many other benefits, like for example all of the men in a unit have an equal look whereas if they had been painted one by one they would look slightly different. Also factory settings saves resources like paint and ink as you end up using less in the long run.

- When it comes to brushes, like others have said, try not to resort buying them from GW. There are many reasons for this, the first is that they are nto great quality and they are expensive. The best place to buy brushes from is your local art store which will have a huge selection of well made brushes, this means you can choose between more brush sizes than the 5 or 6 that citadel make.
Drybrushing brushes are simply old brushes which have lost their point and have frayed out from the metal hold, the best drybrushing brushes are normally quite wide as they give a nice fluffy edge the more you drybrush with it.

- Ink can sometimes be a bit crazy to use, and some people abandon it because it can make a huge mess of things. But Ink is not such a scary factor as long as it is watered down, the GW citadel inks are good but they are usually way to strong to use as they are. To compensate for this add water in ratios depending on your needs for ink strength, it is normally a good idea to apply one part water to three parts of Ink as it will tone it down a bit, and save ink. Obviously the less ink you want being laid down you can simply add more water.
If you accidently make a massive ink mistake, quickly wash the model under the tap before it dries, this will wash the ink of pretty quickly leaving you to try again.

- Those pesky metal models that don't ever glue can sometimes annoy everyone - I know I'm one of them. There are some ways this can be dealt with, the first is to keep the model in place by using plastercene for example this will allow it to dry without moving. The next is to wash the metal parts using a soapy water, this will wash of moulding oils and allow for a better stick. But the best thing to do is to add a small amount of Super Glue and Green Stuff to the joint, eventually over time the joint will dry and if it ever breaks again, add a bit of super glue and it will stick instantly because of the smooth surfaces.

- Use straight edge clippers as this will allow you to cut plastic miniatures from their sprues with ease and cut those annoying metal models nice and straight. Obviously there are other tools, one of these is the modelling knife which can cut the mould marks of the plastic and metal models with ease, but of course these objects are sharp so you want to be able to play some games before you bleed to death.

- Don't get stressed if you can't make you men look like the models in the Codex's, Warhammer Army Book and White Dwarfs as they are professionals and well allthough some of us out there are nearly as good or better *Golden Deamon* not everyone is amazing so whatever happens don't stress about it.

Snoozer
14-06-2005, 22:54
- Try and paint your units in factory settings, this basically means doing one colour or one painting job at a time for all the models of a unit. So for example I was painting 24 Skinks, I wouldn't go ahead and paint them all seperatly but instead paint them all together, so ink them green first; then drybrush them green etc.

yes this is what probably most people use, but if your like me it just ain't going to happen... :p

So I think you should try to find what painting method suits you best, I like to paint my models in groups of 4, because I'm impatient and like to see some results to what I'm doing almost right away (yes it's sad, but true :( )

So don't get frustrated if you find painting boring and just feel like you HAVE TO do this to get the figures ready, try and find a painting method that work for you so that it's fun and doesn't seem too much like work....

:D

Sgt John Keel
14-06-2005, 23:27
One more thing though.

Never apply superglue to the smaller part. You'll only get glue on your fingers.

/Adrian

Ivan Stupidor
15-06-2005, 01:12
One more thing though.

Never apply superglue to the smaller part. You'll only get glue on your fingers.

/Adrian

...and that stuff really does bond skin instantly. To anything.

Johnny Bravo
15-06-2005, 01:44
^ Seconded. I speak from experience. Part of me wishes someone had gotten a pic of me with both my hands glued to my Carnifex... :p

Moonduck
15-06-2005, 03:15
Gaming:
1) Theme lists are the way to go. They're more fun, and if you win with them, it's even more rewarding.

2) Look up "100 ways to annoy your opponent while wargaming". It is a treatise on what not to do.

3) Be prepared to play. this means having a list, knowing your list, having dice, templates, etc. And bring spares if you can, as well as some glue.

4) Don't sweat any one unit. It doesn't matter how narsty the other guy's best unit is so long as you can shred the rest of his army. I know I'll frequently dud up some scary impressive unit with the express purpose of distracting my foe. It works.

5) Whenever things look bleak, remember that it's a game!

Painting:
1) A chisel edge cuts metal better than a razor edge. So, contrary to common knowledge, a dullish Xacto knife is frequently better for modelling metal minis. I use Xacto blades, and dull them with sandpaper. And, no, I've never cut myself on them. (And frequently works better on plastic too. I rarely use a sharp blade anymore)

2) Ignore any advice that says 'never drybrush'. There are some things that work better with drybrushing (chainmail anyone?) and you will save a ton of time using it. The trick is to practice it, like anything else, as there is a skill to using it properly.

3) Match your primer to your job. If you are doing a yellow paintjob, and you want it to be bright, use a white basecoat. If you are doing a dark colour scheme, use a black basecoat. Your basecoat should vary with your needs just like your paint techniques.

4) Experiment! You never know when someoddball colour match or technique will work wonders. As such, it's best to try your hand at a lot of different things.

5) Look at other peoples' work. If you look at something with an eye to how it was done, you migth be surprised what you can figure out. The corollary to this is that the Internet is the painter's best friend. there's a ton of good tips and tricks out there. Look for them.

twisted_mentat
15-06-2005, 05:17
- Its all about combat resolution. 12 Chosen Warriors of Khorne lead by a khorne lord can be smooshed by a unit of skavenslaves if the combat res is good enough.

- learn to estimate distances. For cannons and other artillery, its a must, but its also important to know if thats 8" or 8.5" for your foot units.

- Magic can be unfair. Theres nothing you can do about it.

- don't rely upon elite units and tooled up lords.

- know the turning rules.

- again, know your codex,. know your rules, and buy your basic troops first.

- pyschology can be very important.

- Remmeber, don't charge your lord into an enemy unit, unless he's valten, he's probably going to be turned into compost...

- speaking of valten, don't use him, he makes people mad.

- make banners for your troops. It makes them look nicer, and also, if you buy them on your list, you must have them on the battlefield...

therisnosaurus
15-06-2005, 06:28
1: its your game: while rules are rules in most cases, the rulebook is a guidebook, not the bible. if a rule is causing you pain, change it so all players can agree.
2: power is not power: no matter how big and nasty you make something, it can always be beaten by tactics. it is far better to start with simple units and moderate characters than Lords on Dragons, units of 100 knights and other uber creations.
3: you are a general now: this means many things- respect your men- care for your figures, don't be afraid to sacrifice some to keep the rest alive, know thy enemy- learn the rules by heart but DON'T get bitchy at people who don't know them as well as you. Oh, and if you play orks, don't forget to scare the willies out of people by sneaking up behind them and bellowing "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH"
4: simplicity is your friend: magic items, while fancy, are often beaten by mundane ones and leave more points for vital footsloggers. there's no point in buying a sword of battle if you can get an additional hand weapon for a fifth of the cost
5: you are not eavymetal standard at the beginning: your first army will undoubtedly look like crap to others, but so did their first army, so don't give a damn if they take the **** out of it. If they offer advice, listen, if they give suggestions, take them. Learn how to paint clean, crisp colours. THEN learn how to ink, THEN learn how to drybrush, THEN learn how to highlight, THEN learn how to glaze. A well realised army painted in clean colour can look far better than a shoddily done one with inks, drybrushing and glazing.
6: your gear is your saviour: treat your brushes, paints and glues with as much dignity as possible. bad brushes can ruin miniatures, and ruined miniatures are very demoralizing for you.
7: the big bad world: warhammer is blessed with not only some of the best miniatures in the world, but the most detailed and finely touched world background in ANY fantasy, whether it be book, movie or game. Use it. an army which has a theme and reason to exist will be much more fullfilling than a mass produced horde of plastic gumps. read the background, delve deeply into the darkness and find the light of inspiration in the blackest pit
8: it's pricey: GW is very expensive hobby. Learning how to save money is paramount even to the financialy well endowed. find discount stores, save up for sales, use battalions, convert your characters from spare plastics. if you play your cards right you can create a decent 2000 point army for 200 bucks. (US)
9: think about it first: don't jump off the blocks and start an army unless you really want to. Compulsion buying is the bane of the hobbyist- make sure you regulate your purchases, I know, it takes a strong will, but those with weak wills don't live for long in the dark world of warhammer
10: play, play, play: get out there, play games, the only way you'll learn how to play is to do it. realise that as a beginner you'll probably **** some of the elite old boys off with your young'un interpretations of the rules. I'm afraid you'll have to live with it. However, as they are the old boys, listen to them, they'll often teach you more than the BRB. rules can only get you so far, tactics are the most important part of warhammer

Sashu
15-06-2005, 23:25
5 Things about playing... I just got into fantacy again from 40k so... none from me.

5 Things about painting, that I can do.

1) Look on the internet for really armys that have cool color schemes. Your overall color scheame is very important to a beautiful army.
2) I like to paint my men in a few groups of 5. I have 4 different groups of 5 going right now. Them still being in groups helps on droping the time between models. Keeping the groups small help keep me sane, and changes what I'm doing periodically and keeps me alert and aware of what I'm doing.
3) Make test models. If you read something and want to try it, do.... but only on one or two models.
4) There's more than one way to skin a cat... errr... paint metal. Try different things.
5) Don't buy to many models at once if you can avoid it. If you have 20 models, it is easy to paint them, then get 20 more. If you get 200 painting them all can be a little scary.

Tyra_Nid
16-06-2005, 13:00
5) Don't buy to many models at once if you can avoid it. If you have 20 models, it is easy to paint them, then get 20 more. If you get 200 painting them all can be a little scary.

I totally agree with this... Paint what you have before you buy more (unless you are starting a new army and REALLY eager to get started playing). Not only will it motivate you to paint, it will probably save you money and save you wasting a whole bunch at once. It also gives you more time to decide whats the BEST to buy next, not just buying for the sake of buying.

static grass
16-06-2005, 14:06
For those in cold climates...

When spraying the undercoat on your models do not do it in subzero temperatures! You will have crazy paved models.

For warhammer at any temperature...

Use dice or counters to work out combat resolution. Do not let anyone count for you.

Do not use those red arrow measuring sticks as the inches are on the small size...

It can take some years before you get the hang of warhammer, so in the meantime remember that you do this for fun.

anarchistica
18-06-2005, 09:16
Do not use those red arrow measuring sticks as the inches are on the small size...
Well if all players use them it doesn't matter, does it? ;)

Galonthar
18-06-2005, 11:50
hmm...

I`m not really far into WHFB,.... parly `cuz the woodies will just be released this summer,.. :D,... but still I`ve got a few tips for starters (and with starters I mean STARTERS! :p )

gaming:

- don`t start with the full rules at once, unless you posess some first-gen.-slann intelligence and are able to know the entire rulebook from A to Z in a day. ( I must confess I`m just starting to play with psychology,... even after playing about 4 years... :eyebrows: )

- don`t choose a race because they`re just the strongest around (.....chaos...... :rolleyes:....)

- if the armybook of the race you want to play is out; get it, read it, choose a theme you`d like to base your army on, and hold yourself to that theme, don`t think like; "lets buy 10 of those terribly heavy armoured big thing riding killalot unit", when your playing a totally stealthy army, one or 2 completely othe units could still be usefull,.. but don`t buy too much,.. or elseit will ruin your army`s fluff

painting;

- don`t be dissapionted if your first models suck, if you really hate it you can paint them again when your more experienced

- don`t be all to eager too use inkts, (unless your willing to give GW even more of your money), I still don`t use them, but I still succeed in painting my army quite decently with just undercoating, and drybrushing them (light!, that drybrushing is a realy usefull way to get your army look quite nice, even when your not a veeery good painter!!!)

- (this thing is personal); spend some extra time at painting your characters & other "impressive" models,.... they are after all the leaders of your army.

Frankly
18-06-2005, 12:59
A good thing to know is that win, loss or draw. The best games are the close one's, the really good brall's that go down to the last dice roll. These are the games you remember.

The best way to get this result is by having two BALANCED armylists playing against each other.

Remember your playing for the joy of it all.

Vanus
18-06-2005, 19:20
I'll add one of the lessons I learned in my first couple of games... NEVER charge through a goblin fanatic...EVER.

strv
18-06-2005, 19:43
i'll ad one on painting:
when assembeling,be shure they rank up.
when painting first regement(s),paint from the back,so the front models(who will be seen)get painted when you have learned how to paint them god.

Avian
18-06-2005, 20:49
I'll add one of the lessons I learned in my first couple of games... NEVER charge through a goblin fanatic...EVER.
When you become experienced you will learn that most units have nothing to fear from a single fanatic (exceptions being knights and other very expensive models).

Stuff beginners generally do wrong:

- They generally move too little, rather than too much. Hesitation in the front of units firing at you being a prime example.

- They generally use too few dice when casting or dispelling. Find the number of dice you will on average need, then add one.

- They generally try to dispel even harmless spells (single-dice magic missiles at clanrats, for example).

- They often place wizards inside units when they are perfectly safe wandering around on their own. Being inside a unit makes you much more of a target.

- They don't know when to sacrefice a unit. Sometimes you want a unit to get destroyed, to get the enemy to make a pursuit move in the direction you want.

- They build very expensive units that are too easy to avoid (600+ pt infantry units being a prime example).

- They chase enemy units they cannot possibly catch (ie. one infantry unit vs. one fast cavalry unit)

Freak Ona Leash
18-06-2005, 21:59
Oh, and my little bit. Try to get as mch done as you think you can. Don't be sloppy but if you are anything like Freak at all, you will take a long time to just paint one unit if you do not do it fast. Basically, try not to have a short attention span :D

Stouty
19-06-2005, 00:23
I have 1 tip that hasn't already been said (to my knowledge)
BLU TAC IS ESSENTIAL
Put it to your movement trays, use it to try out poses, add support to models that a glueing, comparing the consistancy of your green stuff; the list really isn't much longer....
Seriously, a brand new pack of blu tac is your friend, nothing with hair in it or bits of skin. If it doesn't come in useful sonner or later I have no idea what your doing, but it sure as hell ain't warhammer.

Lordmonkey
19-06-2005, 00:50
- They often place wizards inside units when they are perfectly safe wandering around on their own. Being inside a unit makes you much more of a target.

I agree to an extent. Placing a wizard inside a unit can be beneficial when you are playing v.s a combat-orinetated army. 'Look out sir' can be particularly handy against a hellcanon of chaos ;)

- They don't know when to sacrefice a unit. Sometimes you want a unit to get destroyed, to get the enemy to make a pursuit move in the direction you want.

Agreed. A great folly of many WFB players is to believe that the loss of a small flankign unit means the loss of that flank altogether - lsing untis can, and often will be part of the plan. I mean, controversely, if losing units in WFB ISNT part of the plan, then you have much to learn indeed. WFB isn't a game of one army heroically slaughtering another with in casualities, like Space Marines in 40k. Think of it as how least tragic the defeat was for a particular army. All battles in fantasy are a tragedy of some kind, win or lose.

- They build very expensive units that are too easy to avoid (600+ pt infantry units being a prime example).

When did THIS happen? Ok, a huge unit of chosen chaos warriors, but surely noone would be that dumb when all it takes is a quick flanker to knock it into the ground in one turn? The lesson here kiddies: Strategy over statlines...

- They chase enemy units they cannot possibly catch (ie. one infantry unit vs. one fast cavalry unit)

Do not be distracted. Your block regiments are not fielded to fight lowly flankers - do not play into the enemies' hands by reacting to their flanking little blighters - use your own fast troops to fight them. there no point deliberately pursuing a unit that has fled 13" or more, unless you can avoid a nasty flank/rear charge by doing so.

Avian
19-06-2005, 01:09
I agree to an extent. Placing a wizard inside a unit can be beneficial when you are playing v.s a combat-orinetated army.
Wha'? :eyebrows:

Wizards should be placed inside units when the opponent has spells that can target units freely, such as a lot of the Heavens spells, the Foot of Gork and so on. In almost all other cases it's better to have him wandering around on his own.
Versus a combat oriented army there is a greater chance of your wizard having a nasty encounter with Mr. Great Axe when his unit becomes involved in close combat.