PDA

View Full Version : Landspeeder - The worst plastic kit in the world ever?

stormtrooper154
18-06-2006, 12:12
Im currently building a SM army that has some Landspeeders in (unoriginal, I know) but it has struck me that these kits are so bad, none of it lines up!! Anyone else feel the same?

macbeth
18-06-2006, 12:44
I did, and still do. I totally agree with you, I have never built such an ill-fitting model...

Lostanddamned
18-06-2006, 12:47
It is absolutely the worst plastic kit - the top and bottom of the "nose" dont line up yeah?

Smae with both of mine.

Mortare
18-06-2006, 12:53
Yep, add my name to the list of complaints. I have built a couple, either have to squeeze the life out of it to make it fit or use pieces of green stuff to fill in the extra gaps

Still learning
18-06-2006, 12:54
i found it ok to asemble, but some improvements need to be made.

Ironhand
18-06-2006, 13:12
Absolutely agree. It can be assembled OK, but it's a real pain in the neck.

Karhedron
18-06-2006, 13:16
It was the first new vehicle kit they did at the start of 3rd edition and they really hadn't quite got the hang od the new molding techniques yet.

Dio´Ra
18-06-2006, 13:32
the eldar vyper is aswell pretty anoying to assemble.....

boogle
18-06-2006, 14:38
Never had any problems putting thr Vyper together, apparently the trick to the LS is gluing the halves together,and then using a couple of elastic bands to hold it together (the same thing has to be done with the Fortress walls as they are slightly warped)

Da Reddaneks
18-06-2006, 14:48
i have absolutely no sympathy for you guys. The award for "Worst Plastic in the World" clearly belongs to the orks. We are using gorka-morka models for gosh sakes that look like rubbish are not even sized correctly for our armies! Our vehicles are, assuming your trying to make an asthetically pleasing army, only good for bitz to custom make a vehicle.

hivefleetcarrion
18-06-2006, 14:51
ive only made 1 landspeeder, and because of all the problems i had with it i doubt i'll make another. it was fine until the roof part needed to go it. ended up having to use green stuff, and it currently looks like they have welded a the roof back on( it is that noticable)

Wings of Doom
18-06-2006, 14:52
As far as i'm aware (and talking to Ork players) the point of the rubish Ork vehicles is to encourage conversion of your own. I know 3 people with Speed Freak armies and not one of them uses a GW Ork Trukk. If you don't like converting maybe Orks aren't the army for you.

I found the kit annoying, and trying to get the Assault Cannon to stick well to a completely flat surface (the kit was dodgy) was annoying too.

Dio´Ra
18-06-2006, 14:53
maybe so....but you ork players have still the greatest converted vehicles i have ever seen.....i mean you guys can use annything to convert for your waaagh and make it look good.....and you guys have squiggoths :cries:....

Mr Evil
18-06-2006, 14:56
As said, rubber band = problem solved. Green stuff any minor gaps that remain. I've built 6 over the years and haven't had a problem that rubber bands couldn't deal with.

dangerousdan73
18-06-2006, 15:06
personally i just built two and have another one to put together sometime soon and there was a problem with the top and bottom lining up which was solved with the miracle invention of the rubber band and i have converted mine to be armed as either a lanspeeder, a tornado, or typhoon with all the different weapons options and have customised mine with nitro tanks, hunter\killer missles ,serchlights smoke launchers and trophies and i reckon they look sweet. These are for a drop pod based army so are the only vehicles in my army and i think the kits have a few problems but make up for it in versatility and conversionability

Tonberry
18-06-2006, 15:11
I find the best solution to the Landspeeder problem is a hacksaw and alot of swearing.

Three Headed Monkey
18-06-2006, 15:16
I shall have to mention the Thousand Sons box at this moment. Great models, i love em, but the metal chest plates dont match up with the plastic rear torso part. Hardly at all. The only way around it is heaps of super glue and faith that the arms cover up the mess. However, it causes problems for the rest of the model as the curve where the legs go and the head are wonky because one half does not match up with the other. So very annoying on models that can have such a myriad range of poses.

boogle
18-06-2006, 15:19
Never had a problem with the 1 squad of 1Ksons i had mind you

Kahadras
18-06-2006, 15:20
Yeah the Landspeeder is one annoying model. I've put together a few now and another thing that annoys me is the fragility of the damn thing. The foot plates, sensor array and mount for the heavy bolter/multimelta seem determined to snap off at a moments notice. Still I like having them in my army.

Kahadras

Killgore
18-06-2006, 15:33
ever since i first saw the new landspeeder when it got released all those years back, i couldnt get the impression out of my head that it looked like a giant shoe.

Big Proppa
18-06-2006, 15:40
It is ALOT better than the old metal speeder.

At least you can get it looking great without resorting to power tools.

Also the converting possibilities are myriad as well...

Anyhow, I think they are adequate. Worst plastic kit ever hardly.

me

Da Reddaneks
18-06-2006, 16:25
As far as i'm aware (and talking to Ork players) the point of the rubish Ork vehicles is to encourage conversion of your own. I know 3 people with Speed Freak armies and not one of them uses a GW Ork Trukk. If you don't like converting maybe Orks aren't the army for you.
There is a reason why no one uses ork vehicles out of the box.

I was not aware that GW intentionally produced rubbish vehicles for orks as part of a thought out business plan to encourage creativity and conversion amongst ork players. I must say that is quite a bold strategy on their part. If that is so then perhaps the landspeeders problems are also intentional in an attempt on GW’s part to encourage creativity and conversions amongst marines instead of the obvious answer, “a poor quality control issue.”

maybe so....but you ork players have still the greatest converted vehicles i have ever seen.....i mean you guys can use annything to convert for your waaagh and make it look good.....and you guys have squiggoths :cries:....
Oh we have some of the best vehicles in the world no doubt after the conversions have been done. Some of the guys on here have conversions that are simply fantastic. I simply interpreted the thread title as basically meaning “worst vehicle out the box.” And, in my opinion, worst out of the box would go to wartrucks. Followed soon thereafter by warbikes and warbuggies.

Slayhem
18-06-2006, 17:16
I agree that the landspeeder fits like something very unfitting indeed.

What are the technical difficulties with the wartrucks, warbikes and warbuggies?

Da Reddaneks
18-06-2006, 17:33
What are the technical difficulties with the wartrucks, warbikes and warbuggies?
Actually there are no "techinal" difficulties with wartrucks, warbuggies, warbikes or the skortcha. They glue together just fine. I am merely commenting on simply the asthetics. As i am sure you already know since you obviously play 40k the vehicles were designed for another game system. To get a good looking ork wartruck most people use another 40k vehicle and then use the truck for bitz to make the raider/rhino or whatever look like a truck. But it does glue together just fine if you wanted to use it as is straight from the box.

Slayhem
18-06-2006, 17:41
Thanks for the info. :)

My_Nose_Is_Big
18-06-2006, 21:06
yes, I had 2 and they both sucked. when I build my first one, I was 12, so I won't talk about that. now I'm 15 and put one together with elastic bands and then filling up any gaps with greenstuff, it looks really smooth.

qtd
18-06-2006, 21:12
I once had a chimera with the back section warped so much that one side of the hull was 1/4" higher than the other. It was so bad that I had to scrap it and replace it with the hull of a random WW2 tank :(. Im guessing that was an Individual mold screw up rather than the entire line like that ( I really hope so anyway)

Norminator
18-06-2006, 21:16
I've never built a landspeeder, but I'd like to add something - Tau Piranhas. I've built three of the new plastic ones, and everyone I needed to greenstuff the gaps shut. The problem is it's built off a resin kit and thus isn't perfectly designed to fit together from a sprue - which is damn annoying.

My_Nose_Is_Big
18-06-2006, 21:16
you should have gone back to the store where you bought it, they would have given you a replacement

Crassus
18-06-2006, 21:18
The plastic kit does suck. when i had finished building it(none of it fittef of course)i left over night. when i came back to it the speeder had broken off of the clear stand and was unfixible to even look decent for what it was like

UnRiggable
18-06-2006, 21:19
i feel you norminator. The back part where the pilots sit is unbelievably aggravating. The wings, less so, but the pads on the bottom...I can see how a landspeeder is hard to build, just look at them hard enough.

Norminator
18-06-2006, 21:24
The things that got me most with the piranhas were the side bits, which wouldn't stick anywhere near flush with the top cockpit bit. Also the back bit was unbelievably bad (I ended up just leaving it in the end).

AventineCrusader
18-06-2006, 22:50
Just remember, rubber bands are your freinds when building any vehicle, but this especially true for the Land Speeder...

Crusader:D

Antaeus
18-06-2006, 22:52
They look great, but yes, I found mine a complete pig to put together. Infact, I never actually used it. I find the same with the new Rhino chassis, actually...

Mad Doc Grotsnik
18-06-2006, 23:25
My Tornado went together fine.

Perhaps I'm just lucky. Or a freak.

Wraithbored
18-06-2006, 23:28
My Tornado went together fine.

Perhaps I'm just lucky. Or a freak.
Looted doesn't count mate! :p :D

Chem-Dog
18-06-2006, 23:32
Yeah the Landspeeder is one annoying model. I've put together a few now and another thing that annoys me is the fragility of the damn thing. The foot plates, sensor array and mount for the heavy bolter/multimelta seem determined to snap off at a moments notice. Still I like having them in my army.

Kahadras

Ever tried to keep a Sentinel's ankles intact? All that metal stuff on the top of my Steel Legion Sentinels make them snap extremely easily, and don't even get me started on Predator sponsons! Or any of the "Hybrid" tanks out there, Demolisher is ok-ish but the Crusader is AWFUL.

Kahadras
18-06-2006, 23:51
don't even get me started on Predator sponsons

Another bane of my existance. I've stopped buying predators for that very reason. For heavy support I tend to go with Dev's or more durable tanks such as the Whirlwind, Vindicator or Land Raider. The worst has to be the Tau crisis suits though. Luckily I have never had to put any together but as soon as I see those matchstick ankle joins I wince.

Kahadras

Lyinar
19-06-2006, 03:02
Actually, if you're going to bring hybrid models into the equation, I have to nominate exactly two things as being worse than the Land Speeder:

GW-made Broadside suits. The Railguns are okay, the arms are okay, but by the Gods, the ANKLES... The Ankles of DOOOM.

And of course, everyone's favorite hybrid model: the Land Raider Crusader. this (http://www.tsoalr.com/view.php?date=2004-08-30) sums it up better than I ever could.

Da Reddaneks
19-06-2006, 03:15
Looted doesn't count mate! :p :D
LOL!!!!!! Now that was genuinely funny!

Orbital
19-06-2006, 03:29
Landspeeder - The worst plastic kit in the world ever?

Not while the Monolith exists, my friend.

Picture a plastic kleenex box with angled walls (so you can't eyeball the right angles because that would be too easy) which requires you to somehow hold them all in place at the same time while a fifth piece of plastic hovers on the top (which you hold in place with that third hand GW believes you have) to make sure a pointless and almost-too-short pillar inside the thing (which will never be seen once it's built) is in the right place. Maybe I forgot to mention that the walls don't fit together, neither do they fit against the base... but don't overglue it! No, no! See, there are four turrets which your fourth, fifth, sixth and seventh hand have to make sure are in place but still able to swivel, and too much glue on the walls means you have to tear it all apart and start again.

Or you could just do it the quick way and take a power drill to the lining of your stomach and get it over with.

UnRiggable
19-06-2006, 03:56
thank you for clarifying that
A. the best way to create a monolith is to shoot yourself
B. GW believes Multi-armed humanoids exist because they invented some variations of them
C. Green Plastic tubes do, in fact, look like a feces buffet, assuming you've seen one.

Orbital
19-06-2006, 04:06
The thing that astonishes me about the monolith is the level of interdependancy to it. Like, when you build a Falcon (my main reference point), you can glue the exhaust area to the undercarriage and, before you glue the top part on, you can go take a break. Have a sandwich. Rest. Whatever.

With the monolith, you have to glue a wall to the lip around the edge of the floor. Thing is, there's no way to tell what angle you should glue it at because it leans inward, and you can't tell how MUCH inward until those other walls are up. So you have to glue all four at once. Thing is, if you don't put the roof on at the same time, you can't get it in there later, so you have to hold four walls and the roof in place. Oh, like I mentioned, there's also a column on the inside that you have to make sure is in the right place. That, in itself, is a real drag... and the gaps between the wall-wall joints and the wall-floor joints are horrible... but those turrets. They're the icing on the poop cake, I tell you. It's sort of like this:
"Hello? Is this Games Workshop support line?"
"Yes, go ahead"
"Well, I have three friends over helping me build the monolith, but I still don't have enough hands in play here to hold it together AND keep the turrets in place as well"
"Well, that's because you aren't using the advanced modeling technique required to build something like the Monolith"
"Oh? And what's that?"
"You're all using your hands, right?"
"Yes..."
"And there are four of you?"
"Yes..."
"Then, while holding the walls, the column and the roof in place with your hands, hold the turrets in place with your erect p-"

*click

macbeth
19-06-2006, 14:39
I built a monolith, and I didn't have such problems... At least not as much as I was expecting.

THE most annoying model to build, except the Landspeeder, is probably the Defiler.
When it comes to glue the legs to the torso... It's far worse than a monolith...

UnRiggable
19-06-2006, 16:06
i think that we shouldsend this thread to gw and have them take a look for themselves.

boogle
19-06-2006, 16:08
and they would take the grand total of no notice of it, as they will probably have made more than enough money off of the sales of the LS to not care about it's failings