PDA

View Full Version : To buy or to build. The question of the ages.

StormbringerGT
15-06-2014, 00:48
So I am a huge Fan of HeroQuest and obviously Advanced HeroQuest. However I was born on the wrong side of the ocean to ever realistically get my hand on Warhammer Quest. (I was also just a young teenager at that point).

Anyway fast forward some years and I am saving to try and get my family a copy. We played it at a friends house and we were absolutely floored by how much fun it was. Holding up against even modern Dungeon Crawls. I have a couple options open to me to getting my hands on one.

1. Trade. I have so much random collectibles for trade it is not even funny. Managed to Garage sale a complete second set of HeroQuest and Dragon Strike. Other Random Board games. Video Game collectibles. Lego. Computers (yes actual computers lol we upgrade a lot.) I have a lot of stuff, but trading can be tough to pull off.

2. Buying. By far the simplest option but not really the easiest. We're not rich and we can throw together for some fun money, but to pick up the game and some of the expansions would cost us a lot of money it looks like. We don't mind overpaying a decent amount for collectible purposes but looking at prices on ebay makes me cry.

3. Making my own. Which I am totally for but I'm afraid it might lose some of it's charm or magic. I have like a million reaper bones. So we could probably proxy everything. I also have a friend who works at Kinkos. So I can get stuff printed on a professional level with a little discount.

However more on 3. For the life of me I cannot find the Booklets or card scans or anything online. I can find it for HeroQuest and heck even Descent and games that are still in print but I cannot find anything for Warhammer Quest? I thought I found something a few weeks back and what I found was a virus on my computer. Why is this? No one wants to scan their books and ruin them (which I completely understand)? I'm lost and confused why the scans are sooo hard to find.

But yeah that is what we are looking at here. Any advice? Comparisons from people who own the game vs a print and play option (would love to support the company would happily give GS $100 for a copy. Not an option.) Anyone want to trade or sell? Keep in mind my HeroQuest is the US version.

I've almost bought one a few times on ebay for $300 but I can't make myself do it. I'd probably spring $500 for a complete copy of the game and expansions. However to the experts here is $300 USD a fair point at this time? Thanks for reading! :D

artfultodger2k
15-06-2014, 11:46
WQ has been going for lots on Ebay just lately. $300 is about the right price for a near perfect used copy at the moment. Copies of the adventure book, rule book, and expansions are all available online ( I'm sure somebody could help with a copy of those to back up your originals with o_O ) if you already have suitable models, i would definately build your own, especially with your access to printing services. proxies will almost certainly be necessary for you later in the game due to VERY expensive out of production models such as chaos dwarves. :)

Samsonov
15-06-2014, 12:10
Ebay the rulebook, buy and print out some dungeons tiles from rpg now, use playing cards instead of dungeon cards, use your own models. The original models were hardly good, monopose orcs, goblins, rats. If you want characters and new monsters, the website has loads of fan material http://wquest.free.fr/ You could make something far more attractive today for far less than $300.

twchdyn
15-06-2014, 12:31
there are a few compilation torrents arround with everything included, even the bits in white dwarf.

http://www.limetorrents.com/Warhammer-Quest-torrent-46440.html

That one might be worth a try.

Samsonov
15-06-2014, 12:39
Something tells me that linking to torrents of copywrited materials will be frowned upon on by this website.

StormbringerGT
15-06-2014, 17:08
Yeah thanks guys I don't want to get anyone in trouble here, so please don't link in the forums on my account!

I poked around RPG now and looked for some tiles for Warhammer quest but I couldn't find any. I could have completely passed them by however I'll try later when I get home. Thanks! :D

Samsonov
15-06-2014, 17:27
There are no specific warhammer quest maps on RPG now but plenty of generic dungeon tiles. Most will not be in the exact same size as warhammer quest, however, generally the files come as pdfs (at least this is true for the sci fi ones I've bought) that can be early copied into paint, then coping and changing should result in some warhammer quest tiles.

philm63
15-06-2014, 19:45
Yeah thanks guys I don't want to get anyone in trouble here, so please don't link in the forums on my account!

I poked around RPG now and looked for some tiles for Warhammer quest but I couldn't find any. I could have completely passed them by however I'll try later when I get home. Thanks! :D

Hi Stormbringer - If you PM me I should be able to point you in the direction of everything you need. Phil

Richard
15-06-2014, 21:03
Emails have been sent, any probs let me know. Generally speaking the tiles are 30mm but the black rim makes them 40mm if you want to stay to the exact game detail, but after you look at some of the projects on warseer its the original game but brought into this century.

twchdyn
19-06-2014, 09:33
Something tells me that linking to torrents of copywrited materials will be frowned upon on by this website.

If GW would sell me a boxset id buy one in a heartbeat. No intentions of causing headache for anyone. Besides, no currency is changing hands, So ethically speaking GW arent losing sales on a product they no longer produce. I also will not support the scalpers on ebay.

There is also a reproduction rulebook and roleplay manual downloadble in pdf format, these are open source and free to use.

Daxio
19-06-2014, 12:54
As Twchdyn says, being able to pick up the books as PDF's or , as I did, buy the three books from ebay, cost about 30- you're only left with boards and figures to find. I personally would build them myself, but I started with some computer printed versions glued to heavy card (still use them when we go on holiday). Luckily I had a load of WFB models to use for monsters. I recon a set can be quite cheaply put together, a bit of printing ink and some models bought and there you go. :)

I try to make as much as I can myself, and as long as you aren't trying to reproduce the original contents exactly, its quite do-able.
As for GW......just don't make a set then try to sell it.... openly. :)

EldritchGamer
19-06-2014, 14:56
The Imperial Vault has a downloads (http://imperialvault.co.uk/warhammer-quest-downloads/) section, which has a pile of board sections that can be printed out, and a links (http://imperialvault.co.uk/home/warhammer-quest-links/) section that points to a few more sites that also post board sections. Quests of Legend also have a set to download (http://quests-of-legend.weebly.com/board-sections.html).

These aren't the originals, but can be adapted easily, and provide a bit of variety. And they're free.

Hope that helps...

bobthebobish
20-06-2014, 16:34
Got a revised set of rules plus board sections galore in my sig below:

talion
21-06-2014, 18:40
Yep feel free to download any of my board sections, there are also additional monsters.

Will one day finish the forest set......and then any other ideas are welcome, was going to do frozen but Seb has an excellent set.