PDA

View Full Version : most broken army?

jp22102000
20-06-2006, 23:45
what do you guys think is the most broken army in fantasty?

Fred_Scuttle
20-06-2006, 23:50
Prob. Vampire Counts or Tomb Kings. Those Damn Skeletons break when the wind blows - skinny little plastic torso's and arms and all........

Trunks
21-06-2006, 00:28
Have you ever seen a Chaos army thrown into a woodchipper? Easily more broken than those Vampire Counts and Tomb Kings.

Akuma
21-06-2006, 00:28
SAD - no doubt about it

Prophaniti
21-06-2006, 00:32
Dark elf executioners with unpinned swords. They are easily broken.

Ganymede
21-06-2006, 00:42
Skaven tails tend to break a lot. I've gone so far as to pin a couple troublesome tails.

Other than that, it seems like skeletons seem to break a lot. Their connections are thin and are easily snapped.

Makaber
21-06-2006, 01:23
Isn't the swords on the executioners really hard to pin, though? I might get a unit later on to fit in with my Khainite theme, but logistically they seem like such a pain in the ass.

Personally, and going outside the WHFB box, a WH40k chaos army is ridicilously fragile. Those throphy racks snap just as soon as you look at them, and as a whole, it proves the age old rule that the better looking an army is, the harder it is to transport in one piece.

EvC
21-06-2006, 01:47
Probably Vampire Counts- as well as the aforementioned Skeleton issues, the tails come off of wolves way too easily. At least you can pretend that it was ripped off at some point in their unlife in the case of Dire Wolves, though...

Makaber
21-06-2006, 01:49
Hah, yeah. I was proxying some fast cav borrowing goblin wolf riders from T10, and I broke at least three tails during the game. They look like a really convenient handle, but it breaks off way too easily for comfort. I think he got cranky.

EvC
21-06-2006, 02:02
Oh man, you tried to pick them up by the tails? LIKE NOOOOOOO WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?!

jp22102000
21-06-2006, 02:44
Have you ever seen a Chaos army thrown into a woodchipper? Easily more broken than those Vampire Counts and Tomb Kings.
lol no i never seen that before, but i bet i would like to see it

Lord Lucifer
21-06-2006, 02:45
My Empire army was involved in a car crash, they were pretty broken after that

Trunks
21-06-2006, 04:22
Isn't the swords on the executioners really hard to pin, though? I might get a unit later on to fit in with my Khainite theme, but logistically they seem like such a pain in the ass.

If you are experienced at pinning the swords are not as hard to pin as you'd think. The real difficulty is getting the angle of the hole you drill into the sword to be correct, if you are slightly off and you tend to drill deep you will probably put a hole completely through the sword if you don't look for the warning signs.

I've been remarkably lucky with my executioners. The first 25 or so I assembled I did without pinning and they have yet to break. I bought about 20 more from a friend who assembled them stupidly (he cut the "nub" off of the bottom of the sword and used glue to fill the hole making a ridiculously weak joint). These I've started to pin since all of the swords were snapped off when I got them.

Just use the smallest drill bit you've got and make sure the angle is good and you will be fine.

Oestvang
21-06-2006, 06:56
I'm not sure, but I think you might have broken the original poster. Someone get a pin vice and some cement, STAT! And some pieces of random metal wire or pins, of course...

Nell2ThaIzzay
21-06-2006, 07:29
My spare summonable skeletons have many missing arms and weapons and stuff (my friend bought 'em off of eBay, and they had a missing arm or 2 then, and since then they've lost more than that...), but I just imagine they are the skeletons of warriors who got pelted with some Ratling Guns or Cannons or something in life. Missing limbs adds characters to spare, summonable skeletons :)

Sanjuro
21-06-2006, 08:01
So what's the most solid army in Warhammer then?

I think those old one-piece goblin spearmen and orcs with scimitars are pretty darn robust. But what do I know?

New Cult King
21-06-2006, 09:39
I find that metal models toend to break off at their joins a lot more than plastic ones, probably because the polystyrene cement melts the plastic together. I have a horrible time of it because my rats like to play tag on my painting desk, and the casualties among my miniatures are usually horrendous :(

grimgorkgalle
21-06-2006, 09:46
Most broken: Definitely Vamp Counts... Once dropped a can of Beck's on my skeletons... and of course the goddamn Bloodthirster (I will never touch him anymore!)

Oestvang
21-06-2006, 12:19

I think those old one-piece goblin spearmen and orcs with scimitars are pretty darn robust. But what do I know?

I had to get three of those spikes pulled out of my foot on two seperate occasions. They would make good caltrops, usable against both vehicles and people on foot.

Bubble Ghost
21-06-2006, 12:31
I absolutely love how completely everyone has ignored the original dead-horse-flogging topic, and turned it into something else entirely using a double meaning. This whole thread is a great satire of web forums.:) And I'm going to have to say Vampire Counts too, those skeleton models... I don't think I have a single completely intact one.

Avian
21-06-2006, 12:41
Definitely cav-heavy Orcs & Goblins. Those wolf and boar tails just break off as soon as you look at them. WHY did they make parts where the contact area was ONE square millimeter?!
And the shields just keep falling off my boar boyz.

Undeniably broken. :(

Nonsense, I have lots of 4th edition goblin spearmen whose spears have snapped just above their wrists.

Orcs have always been pretty solid, though.

snurl
21-06-2006, 15:02
The most broken figure that i can think of is Gandalf on shadowfax from the two towers line. The whole thing is supported only by one horses ankle, several of the minis were already broken in their blisters at the store where I saw them.

Metal dwarves don't break, and you can hurt someone with them if you throw them hard enough.

Sanjuro
21-06-2006, 15:10
Nonsense, I have lots of 4th edition goblin spearmen whose spears have snapped just above their wrists.

Orcs have always been pretty solid, though.

Ah, so I was part right!

Continuing on the solid army approach, I have to say that the most surprisingly solid model I own is the lord of Tzeentch on disc. I mean, all that metal, supported by a tiny, fragile plastic rod (which is very prone to breakage, as all who own screamers can attest to) - and still it has survived several tournies and countless journeys in the car to and fro my mate's house.

That's surprisingly solid!

DjtHeutii
21-06-2006, 15:16
The Brettonians are clearly the most powerful army in the game.

squiggoth
21-06-2006, 16:43
My army, when GW sent it back from Notts to Nijmegen via UPS. Two years later and I still haven't managed to repair them all completely ..... I've never seen Chaos Warriors more broken than my Nurgle ones.

And that's without mentioning chips .... Which army is the most chipped? :p

thommo
21-06-2006, 16:47
My Wood Elves, especially the Dryads, are very very broken...not only did my little nephew have a crawl on them, the cat decided to hunt a couple, and all those spikey bits keep getting stuck in the foam of my carry case and breaking off!! Beet that for a broken army!

god octo
21-06-2006, 16:53
the old 5th ed dryads seemed to be bullet proof. i once fell onto some and promptly heard a snapping sound. it was my key ring snapping!

Bingo the Fun Monkey
22-06-2006, 07:21
Vampire counts, not only skeletons but black knight lances (despite being a single piece of metal) often break. I have to say that the current o/g line is pretty solid (except anything mounted, although the chariot's pretty durable). When glued correctly I often find it hard to take the models apart (unlike scrawny oomanz), even the gobbos are pretty solid. We iz ard, we iz green, green iz best.

scavenseer
22-06-2006, 09:24
Dark elf executioners with unpinned swords. They are easily broken.

I find that a small blob of green stuff works better than pinning, i have 50 of the blighters and not one has broken yet!!

static grass
22-06-2006, 09:48
Just for variation I would like to add the gyrocopter into the mix.

Not only are rotors ridiculously long they are impressively difficult to pin. Add on to this is very heavy for a flyer and it does not have a ready made hole for the flying base. I didn’t want to glue it to the flying base incase the base broke. But maybe I should have as it is quite embarrassing when it lurches off its base and into the unit you just shot. It looks dramatic though.

FlameKnight
22-06-2006, 10:04
Empire halberds eh? Snap easily, and when you try to repair them they leave a distinctive slightly bent look :(

skavenguy13
22-06-2006, 10:29
Skaven are my most broken army. From my first 40 clanrats, I don't think I have a single one still in one piece. But I think they were dropped on concrete floor at least once, and participated in many trips in a shoe box with rat-ogres and my cannon accompanying them.

My ogres aren't broken, they're just unglued.

Edit: oh and for the solid, I'd go with my boyz from the 6th edition starter set. Their T4 really shows in the plastic. Though banners and some chariot stuff did break easily.

Smoking Frog
22-06-2006, 13:24
I find banner bearers to be broken, no matter the army used. If they don't fall over they break on me. :( A snapped banner is a common occurence. :(

klastica
22-06-2006, 13:45
HE's break easy

Autobot HQ
22-06-2006, 13:46
dwarf ironbreakers. Hard as ... well, iron. I think if shot out of a cannon they're survive just fine. In fact I feel sorry for the poor cannon that they were in. they'd probably jam the turrent, blow the cannon to bits and still survive.

A-HQ

Fred_Scuttle
22-06-2006, 13:49
Bubble Ghost - You are welcome - ;)

As for most SOLID - hmmm - I have some 4th or 5th edition one piece dwarf warriors. Those things are DENSE PYRAMIDS of indestructable plastic. I doubt a Bloodthirster could cleave through one in less than 10 blows.

I think they would choke a Great Unclean one!

Fred

Sanjuro
22-06-2006, 14:14
Yes, of course - the old one-piece plastic dwarf warriors! How could I forget!

I think these are the most solid plastic models ever produced by GW.

Lord Lucifer
22-06-2006, 16:23
Except the shields!
Those shields could probably break off fairly easily, at least if you paint before attaching
Or you could leave the shields off and say those rediculously large (FAT!) hand-axes are Great Weapons

crunchy92
22-06-2006, 18:47
Has anyone got a boar still with tail after a month, as for solid I have to go with the 1 piece plastics from old box games, re-basing them is almost impossible and a full on stamp might bend one at the legs.

Cromenon
22-06-2006, 19:06
skeletons break so easily... and dire wolves' tail so...

gortexgunnerson
22-06-2006, 19:33
I'm going for 4th edition choas knights for most solid! When I was younger a friend fell off a bunk bed onto a unit! He still has the scars in his hand :( the standard did the worst damage imbedding pretty deep. Good old fashioned lead in the wounds! Nice!

For most breakable I would go with my new gyro copter, but it doesn't really could as I could never get the blades to even stick on to give it the chance to break. So I'll go with Skeletons, one of brothers mates crashed in my room many years back when he was hammered. I had a 4000 point army set up on a board on the floor. I think surviving models was about 3 skelton archers :(

Sashu
23-06-2006, 04:42
The old Plastic Bretonians that came with the 5th edition starter set, their lances broke if there was a loud noise in the room.

Fred_Scuttle
23-06-2006, 14:44
When I built my 20 Dire Wolves for my VC I 'pre-broke' the tails. I filed the end to goes to the rear of the wolf and increased the surface area. They have been fairly strong, surviving 6-8 games with no ill effect.

Viskrit
23-06-2006, 18:18
For most breakable I would go with my new gyro copter, but it doesn't really could as I could never get the blades to even stick on to give it the chance to break. So I'll go with Skeletons, one of brothers mates crashed in my room many years back when he was hammered. I had a 4000 point army set up on a board on the floor. I think surviving models was about 3 skelton archers :(
Whoa, if my sibling did that to my minis, they would pay. :p

My most broken models are also skellies. My VC Horde has quite a lot of models that need to be reassembled.