PDA

View Full Version : Who Loves Chaos Space Marines ?

Griffin
21-06-2006, 07:06
Well there's a Ork one, there's a Tyranid one and there's a Necron one (sorta). Let all the devotee's of the dark gods come together and lets celebrate all the good things about CSM. Your thoughts here.

Meathook
21-06-2006, 07:13
B.F.T.B.G.

Amen to that brother! Chaos stand up and raise your ... traitorous fists high in pride ... or something. We will no longer stand to be ruled by that dogmatic fool of a corpse Emperor! We will rise up against his tyrannical leadership and .... Instill our own ... tyrannical leadership!

This worked out alot better on paper, but yah. Chaos needs some love too!

Griffin
21-06-2006, 08:00
B.F.T.B.G.
We will rise up against his tyrannical leadership and .... Instill our own ... tyrannical leadership!

This worked out alot better on paper, but yah. Chaos needs some love too!

Well who doens't love not eating their veggies, lots of sex and violence, oh and the drugs.

Just joking

Mikari
21-06-2006, 08:20
Do we need these spam topics? We're ment to be evil, not flag waving pansies. You all go "yay for chaos" and I'll doodle on the war and when you all leave throw some blood around and claim all the litter left was from a great battle us Nightlords won.

warlorded78
21-06-2006, 08:49
Do my 13th co count??? I love beating them to death with my DE Bwahahahaha

Mikari
21-06-2006, 09:06
No, you're loyalist freaks, not chais freaks.

Darkseer
21-06-2006, 10:35
Chaos had always had a tight grip on my heart.

There's something about being the evil, ornate and spikey alternative to the goodie-goodie space marines that is so very appealing.

Raise your gauntlet if you have converted a space marine character to the dark side?
My latest victim was Captain Tycho, who now sports a Kai gun, daemonic flight and some spikey bitz.

I'd also like to point out that I have a very fine chaos marine army (currently unpainted) that consists of nothing but chaos marines, chaos androids, dreadnoughts and large dreadnoughts from SPACE CRUSADE.
I can't wait to see it painted :)

Tarquinn
21-06-2006, 10:52
To be honest, no, I do like them at all. Chaos Space Marines always looked like a power gamer's dream to me. This possibly has changed in the latest edition, but I still have flashbacks from the many times I have been abused by them in the 2nd edition.

I would love to see the next Chaos codex dealing with Chaos (all of it, especially the mainstray of chaos armies), not only CSMs and demons. Also, Demon princes seem to be too common these days too. Guess I'm still used to them owning, shaping and ruling whole plantes and not leading a couple of CSMs in a skirmish. =/

However, do not let me distract you. If you like them, be my guest. :)

Mikari
21-06-2006, 11:08
And I'm sick and tired of seeing Blood angels/black templars using their special units in smaller games that make no sense. Or how about chapter masters in tiny games, or how every army has a libarian or a chaplain? Surely a chaplain is too valueable for a tiny army, yet we see it often.

I think you have to take into account that any list can be absed, it just happens that Chaos have some of the best HQ in the game and are open to abuse because of it. A lot of Chaos players are just in it because we're so anti imperium that we want an army which is made to go "look, screw you and your mother. We don't like you and we never will like you. Go get kicked in the groin" and we're happy to use reasonable HQs.

Really it's just a case of "some guys are ******s, they'll abuse the list" that you dislike, not Chaos it's self.

Mortare
21-06-2006, 11:15
The one brief fling that i had with them was the emperors children. A legion of millenia old corrupt evil warriors, originally proud of their heritage who then indulge themselves in whatever they wish. Evil warriors willing to sacrifice all others for their own goals. And yet still retain the emperors name in their title. And arent afraid to be seen wearing pink and/or leather!

Tarquinn
21-06-2006, 12:06
And I'm sick and tired of seeing Blood angels/black templars using their special units in smaller games that make no sense. Or how about chapter masters in tiny games, or how every army has a libarian or a chaplain? Surely a chaplain is too valueable for a tiny army, yet we see it often.

I think you have to take into account that any list can be absed, it just happens that Chaos have some of the best HQ in the game and are open to abuse because of it. A lot of Chaos players are just in it because we're so anti imperium that we want an army which is made to go "look, screw you and your mother. We don't like you and we never will like you. Go get kicked in the groin" and we're happy to use reasonable HQs.

Really it's just a case of "some guys are ******s, they'll abuse the list" that you dislike, not Chaos it's self.Oh, I agree. Same with Eldar and starcannons. Didn't mean to **** on your parade, sorry. Please ignore me and go on telling us about the joys of collecting Chaos. :)

Griffin
21-06-2006, 12:21
GRRRR - Must KILL.

Wraithbored
21-06-2006, 12:37
Heh I pretty much corrpupted everything imperial in my word bearers army. My termies are Grey Knights converted and all that, I also have a corrupted Xavier, and I'll pretty much defile every chappy I can get my hands on. Also I will be adding a squad of corrupted sororitas(slightly khornate not the overdone sisters of slaanesh). And I also include 4 squads of demons one from each power.

Also what drew me to the Word Bearers is the fact they are perhaps the biggest anathema to the Imperium. And I love the face when I plonk down my corrupted Xavier and my SM opponent(he's a bloodangel) and he gets all huffy puffy, and literaly goes balistic when the spikey bitted Grey knights deep strike in. :D

Kriegsherr
21-06-2006, 12:42
Chaos.... is great.

I really like CSM... I even more like latD and traitor guard. Sad they get shafted by GW everytime they try to do a non-CSM Chaos-list.

And I want slaaneshi Witchworld Eldar. But that will remain a dream I know.

back OT:

Hooray for bo... I mean demonettes. And scratchbuilt slaaneshi Demon-charas. Because of the stupid d-bomb nature of demon armies at the moment I haven't used them really until now though. Only as support for my chaos marines.

And Hooray for the autocannons. This things rock hard, I've found them much more powerful than the lascannon. And those dumb loyalist marine drop them for even worse multi-meltas and plas cannons. Imperialists... they just don't have what it takes.

Mikari
21-06-2006, 12:44
GRRRR - Must KILL.

I'm sorry, the death you are looking for is in another castle. *Turns into a giant fly and hops away very slowly*

Griffin
21-06-2006, 12:54
/me "Grabs Heavy flamer to toast giant fly with, and burns it to a crisp"

ahem

anyways - I'm doing Black legion, so much diversity, combine with alpharius's tactics and your A for away.

calicojack
21-06-2006, 12:56
What lured me originally to "the forces of chaos" for 40k? What kept me with them? The infinite possibility in modeling. The ability to see a beautifully sculpted miniature and think "now, what can this represent in my own army on the table" and find an answer _without_ switching forces. Love that new Ork mek miniature? I'm sure you can find a use for it. Really like a new Loyalist marine model? Easy to find a place. Got a Skaven mini that you just adore? It fits.

The ability to bend the boundaries of What You See Is What You Get, not for purposes of confusing the other player [Chaos more than anyone else needs to be quite civil about "counts as"], but to be able to use beautiful miniatures of all stripes.

The ability to pursue pretty well any theme, visually, within your range. Even without doing anything other than pursuing the Big Legions exactly as written, we cover everything from Egyptian Mummies in Gold Sarcophagi, to Heavy Metal Rockers, to Bloodied Barbarians, to Squamous Horrors.

Lafeel Abriel
21-06-2006, 13:42
(Creepy cultist voice (ala Chaos Gate))Come to Chaos..Join us, join us.(/Creepy cultist voice)
Chaos is the first army I really enjoyed playing as, and have been playing them since. My army may have changed, but my loyalty has not.:)

Okuto
21-06-2006, 13:46
Why chaos?

Cause.....well it's chaos, how could you not like them

No where else will you find a bigger selection of troop choices out there. Yeah, we might not get storm bolters, Ass cannons, etc like those loyalist pigs but we have argueably the best and I mean the best selection of wargear, Daemon gifts, etc.

I orginally wanted to do 1k sons, then thought about Word bearers and figured, "hey, I'll just make my own chapter and have little aspects of both".

SO I just player with my "power armour horde" usually 80+ marines in it, DIY
1k son sub chapter

Mikari
21-06-2006, 14:24
Oh should point out why I play Nightlords shouldn't I. I'm the kind of person who goes "If you say I'm a troll then I'm going to troll, if you've already labeled me I may as well use it" and to me that;s what Nightlords do. They go "fine, we're evil you say. So we'll show you TRUE evil and then we'll see how you like it".

Griffin
21-06-2006, 14:54
Well You can't really argue with that.

Corn Berserker
23-06-2006, 19:10
Chaos was my first 40k army and still my favourite. I have since been collecting IG and Grey Knights (IG first, only been playing Gk 3 months) but I feel most at home using my traitor marines.

Chaos is the only army where I'll ever want to use a special character. Kharne, of course. I've only used him once since this codex - my first game I roled 4 1s in combat and killed 4 berserkers, then of course Kharne got decked by a few power weapons :(.

To get the conversation ball rolling and not just have people telling us about their armies (yes, like I've just done too...), what tricks have you picked up over your experience of the army?

Chaos Lord Primus
25-06-2006, 14:09
I decided to play Chaos because they were bad-ass (like Orks) and also had a solid Codex to back up their bad-assery (not like Orks). Also, the Horus Heresy and nature of the Chaos Gods appeal to me greatly with their grand philosophical concepts and so forth...

Also, I prefer the stock power weapons on our Termies to the Powerfists on the Loyalist regular Termies. In a fight, Chaos basically always hits first adn wipes them out (Assault Termies are a different matter).

That's my (limited) contribution.

Insane Psychopath
25-06-2006, 14:20
Hell yeah chaos are my favrout side/part of the 40k world.

I like the amount of conversion that you can do. I found Imperial Space Marines (Space Wolves not included) to really lack the conversion... sure you can do cool stuff, but with Chaos Marines. You could use anything, make them spike & put a lot more fear element into them.

My main army is Iron Warriors & they have alway serve me well in battle. Ever model in my IW army is full converted, got a lot guys with spike on there helmets, got a lot of work into my IWs.

Why right now my next army will ether be a Word Bearer or a Black Legion army & of course filled with conversion.

Chaos are one of the greatiest armies around & offer so much gaming & model wise for anyone.

IP

muskrat
25-06-2006, 17:04
I originally started with vanilla marines. Then, my guys had a sort of ...falling out with the inquisition. Now, we have embraced the ideology of the Alpha Legion. Why? The cultists, mostly.

I always wanted to have a human style army. Guard was too expensive for me when i first started (pfft...plastic catachans...conversion fodder, little else imo) But now, I can have my human army backed up by a load of heavy hitting, evil guys who infiltrated the no man's land whilst the enemy slept.

My cultsist themselves aren't like normal. Going by my legion's fluff, which uses the skills of the old loyalist "Apothecaries" (an hq unit based on fabius bile's rules) some of my cultists are simply marines in training- the best go on to be "enhanced." That squad's decked out in scraps of armor, painted in the same colors of my marines. The failures of the process, made mostly from the (oh so ******* awesome) mutation bags for LatD, make up the second squad, with a nice selection of plastic guard (catachan/cadian with a bit of tau/mordheim) models make up the third squad, fluff based as traitor guardsmen that saw the (black)light.

Despite mkutations and the conversion work done on every marine, I could easily pass my army off as a "count as" loyalist army- for example, only my raptor champ uses the chaos jumppack- the others use standard marine ones. Fits with the fact that enemies of the Alpha Legion are confused as to whether they have been betrayed or played.

Crassus
25-06-2006, 17:51
chaos is good because if u r a mutant in the imperium, u get shot and in chaos u r promoted.if u r a psyker in imperium u get fed to the emperor(or become a sanctioned psyker at a 0.1% chance), chaos u r rewarded decorated and feared

Despoiler
25-06-2006, 17:56
ah... bout time chaos got a yay-for-us thread.

well deathguard are my army and i have had lots of fun painting, converting and playing them.

[shameless plug] check my signature for shots of my army -sorry for the quality of the pics but my cameras older than the imperium. my thread needs an update as since then i've got and painted a hellblade.[/shameless plug]

Tonberry
25-06-2006, 18:00
Weee, For the dark gods!

Currently collecting my 4th CSM army :D

UnRiggable
25-06-2006, 23:22
Just a quickk question about chaos (I do not collect them, a friend does though) what are the rules for keeping the daemons alive? I mean blood letters and those purple slime things of which i forget the names of...he seems to take advantage of my lack of knowledge

Griffin
26-06-2006, 06:50
I'll leave that to the more experianced players to answer - Why don't you just ask your friend to show you the codex ?