PDA

View Full Version : Combine themed W40k army? (Half Life)

PariahMagnus
21-06-2006, 23:17
Now I really love these guys from Half Life 2. And when I saw this (http://img454.imageshack.us/img454/7439/185us.jpg)concept, I immediately thought of theming an army around the combine. I like these earth tones better than the ingame tones (colors picked out here (http://img478.imageshack.us/img478/4306/colors7uo.jpg)). First I am curious to know if any one has heard of an army similarly themed. If so please tell me about it. Second I am not sure which army to based the models off of; Imperial Guard or Tau. NOTE I will most likely use the Imperial Guard rule wise

With the Imperial Guard, I think it would be easier to get across the Combine theme with gas masks on the men and the human look. But Tau have the technology (drones, flying ships, ect) and would look equally cool.

So which do you think I should use? I'll try to put up some pictures of concepts in a while.

Sir_Turalyon
21-06-2006, 23:29
Heh, did something alike - my cadian army is painted after HL1 grunts.

Definietly use Stormtrooper models, stormtroopers and Combine soldiers look a lot alike - you need only to make masks for bare faced ones. Eighter Inquisitional force (with possible Sisters as white armoured Combine elites), or Guard (with Grenadiers and Stormtroopers doctrines for up to 5 stormtrooper squads, two more if you take inquisitional allies). With guard army, you may also try making regular guardsmen looking like Metro Cops (gasmasks, with warrior weapons doctrines you can give them all stun batons and pistols).

Hmm... guardsmen: metro cops (civil protection)
stormtroopers: regular soldiers
grenadiers: nova prospect soldiers
inq stormtroopers: white elite soldiers

Not to mention horde of stalker conscripts...

Full scope of Combine infrantry. You can also try and bulid APCs to use as chimeras and even striders as demolishers; no copters, gunships or striders in guard, through.

Alternatively, you can use Stormtrooper models and Tau rules, but it will be very confusing. However, with doctor Breen as Ethereal... tempting, tempting.

Just make sure you convert a g-man to stand on some unreachable terrain piece and watch the battlefield.

Mother_Mercy
21-06-2006, 23:29
Interresting idea. Though the Tau drones would make excellent scanners and those flying chainsaws (can't remember the name) and even though you'd really want skimmer transports, I'd have to say that IG is by far the best list to use. Their troops and equipment are far more similar to the Combine than the Tau are.

PariahMagnus
21-06-2006, 23:44
Although it would be a long, difficult and most likely frustrating experience, I would LOVE to make and include any of these:

Gunship, I would probably have to make up my own stats for it (http://www.planethalflife.com/half-life2/enemies/hover.jpg)

Strider, possible a stronger sentinel? (minus a warp cannon) (http://www.half-life2.com/secret/strider.jpg)

Possible Medic? (http://www.planethalflife.com/half-life2/enemies/combass.jpg)

Some combine pictures, Civil protection (http://www.planethalflife.com/half-life2/enemies/cp.jpg) and Over Watch (http://www.planethalflife.com/half-life2/enemies/combine.jpg)

Mikari
21-06-2006, 23:49
Erm.. have you EVER played HL2? No seriously, ever?

"Striders can be stronger sentinels", yea except they carry a cannon able to level sky scrapers in 1 shot.

The combine are made up of hundreds (if not thousands) of different worlds and civilisations, to truely show them you would require unlimited access to all GW races.

CP would require you to use Arabites or space marine scouts.

Basicly play the damn game and get a feel for the combine soldiers on Earth. Then look into stuff which isn't used in the game (Gunships can also use the same cannon as the striders but in a non-scripted way).

And Episode 1 contains mini striders, I haven't seen them in action yet but they do.

Oh and them pictures are labeled incorrectly.

Civil protect - soldier - Combine elite.

CP are all black, soldier has a white mask and elite are all white.

In HL2's arcade game (yes theres one in Japan) they included a combine enemy removed from the original game. It's a pure white female combine with a mix between the assassins in HL1 and Combind elite looks wise. They were rumoured to be the snipers models once they got dropped from the main game but it's never been confirmed.

I could go on and go, but seriously you need to learn more about combine before you try this. No army in 40k fits how they work and never will.

Edit : I also forgot something rather important. Striders have the ability to take 10+ rockets in the face, as do Gunships. They'd have to have Wraithlord like stats to even come close. Infact Eldar might just work for combine, the shruiken cats would be machineguns, and wraith lords could be striders (scaled down majorly). You could make fast zombies Banshees and use falcons as drop ships.

But you'll have to sculpt like a master to pull off a drop ship. It's a fusion of organic parts and high grade technology (as are all combine).

Plus remember HL2 is now being turned into HL3. The episodic content (Episodes 1-3) are HL3 but done quicker (official word says so, can't deny it, don't try). So we'll start to see stuff the combine didn't use in HL2. Zombie, Stalkers and maybe even giant egg sacks from the giant head crab in HL1.

I could go on and on.. but long story short : You don't know enough about the combine to pull this off. Valve have released very little beyond sketchs and alot of the details changed mid game (for example Nova prospket was originally a train station stop to where you went to a air port and then landed on a ship in the middle of a drained ocean, but then it became the prison and the air strip and whole concept of Combine draining the Earth of it's resources were dropped).

Plus we have no idea how Combine fight on a large scale outside of City 17. They destroyed all resistant on Earth in 7 hours (the 7 hour war, check HL2 news papers ingame), which says to me they don't mess around with combine soldiers in a small scale and instead just send in mass striders and go "kekeke, BOOM!"

Edit 3 : Return of the mac! - The "Medic" is a combine assassin as I mentioned above. Also directly linking to planet HL isn't very nice now is it? Notice the BOOBS?

Combine don't need medics, untill Freedom turns up no one can stand up to them and any damage they take will just be replaced with bionics.

Also even if you do play through all of HL2 you need to look further into the games developement wikis, because some monsters have disabled attacks and never use them in HL2. For example the vortigaunt slaves can use their electric blast, it's extremely power (2 hits = death).

So yea.. you don't have a clue, don't try it untill you do. Sculpt a squad if you must, but don't make an army untill you know how they really work (which would suit Witch hunting Inquistor rules or Eldar as mentioned above depending on where they're fighting)

Sir_Turalyon
22-06-2006, 00:01
Relax, man can like aestethics of HL2 and be inspired by it without playing the game.

No army in 40k fits how they work and never will.

Until GW decides to rip off the idea. In fact, combine-style army would nicely represent human enclave with technology back from Dark Age. Advanced and dapraved even by Imperium standards.

For Strider, I still recomend a Leman Russ Demolisher. Or some Knight (if forgeworld amde rules for it) or even Warhound Titan. The tougher, shootier and more intimidating used thing is, the better.

A neutral shade of black.
22-06-2006, 00:02
I beg to differ - Tau or grenadier IG would fit. Nothing else would, though.

Mikari, put the fanboiism away. How the hell do you know he hasn't played HL2?

Anyway, the Tau would do pretty nicely - Overwatch isn't exactly the world's most numerous army, and the OSIR pulse rifle would be accurately represented by Tau pulse rifles (rapid fire generally means the weapon is an assault rifle or SMG). Pulse machine guns would be easily represented as burst cannons. Crisis suits could stand to represent mini striders from Episode 1. Hell, you could even use CP with stun batons as Kroot. :lol:

I think it has potential, and the Tau would probably be best. I'd love to see an army of fully converted models for this.

PariahMagnus
22-06-2006, 00:07

1. "Striders can be stronger sentinels", yea except they carry a cannon able to level sky scrapers in 1 shot.

2. The combine are made up of hundreds (if not thousands) of different worlds and civilisations, to truely show them you would require unlimited access to all GW races.

3. CP would require you to use Arabites or space marine scouts.

4. Basicly play the damn game and get a feel for the combine soldiers on Earth. Then look into stuff which isn't used in the game (Gunships can also use the same cannon as the striders but in a non-scripted way).

5. And Episode 1 contains mini striders, I haven't seen them in action yet but they do.

6. Oh and them pictures are labeled incorrectly.

Civil protect - soldier - Combine elite.

CP are all black, soldier has a white mask and elite are all white.

7. In HL2's arcade game (yes theres one in Japan) they included a combine enemy removed from the original game. It's a pure white female combine with a mix between the assassins in HL1 and Combind elite looks wise. They were rumoured to be the snipers models once they got dropped from the main game but it's never been confirmed.

I could go on and go, but seriously you need to learn more about combine before you try this. No army in 40k fits how they work and never will.

Calm down and don't get all huffy about it. I don't not intend to implicate the whole Combine "culture", if you will, because as you said it is impossible. I just want to field an army that with closer examination some one could say "Hey, these guys look like combine from Half Life"

1. Sorry I forgot to mention when I said "Striders can be stronger sentinels" that I didn't plan on using that warp cannon as all my opentents would say "no way I am playing with that made up weapon". I planned on having the pulse gun count as a multi laser.

2. Made up of hundreds of thousands? Okay, first I know of the Vortigaunts and humans, I don't believe there is much mention of hundreds of thousands of others. Second, why would I want to go through the trouble of converting these other hundreds of thousands of enslaved races? Humans are cool enough.

3. Thanks for the idea

4. I have "played the damn game" infact I wrote this right after I did. I don't know what feeling you may be thinking of, or it's relivence to me modeling the Combine.

5. okay...

6. MY BAD

7. I am not interested in the arcade game.

Mikari
22-06-2006, 00:08
If he had played HL2 then he'd know how downright WTF comparing a Strider to whatever he compared it to was.

People need to just accept some themes won't fit into 40k and 40k isn't the be all and the end all of games you can fit rules in.

Mikari
22-06-2006, 00:14
DESK FACE ME.

Combines entire concept is they're an interstellar race who travel the universe forcing cultures to their whims, taking the best bits and then trashing the rest.

The reason the aliens fled to Xen (and hence tried to take over Earth as a new home) was that the Combine were trying to take over their own world and they had no other chance.

Combine saw the chance to take Earth so they did. The original HL2 plot (which is up for debate if it's true or not), was the Combine are sucking all the water from the oceans and leeching all the natural resources including air. They just want to mine Earth and move on.

Also if you watch they have Race X aliens, Xen aliens, the giant slug is a combine himself and they also use humans and Ant lions which appear to be from else where. Striders and the flying ships are clearly two different races adapted.

They're sort of called Combine because that's what they do. They leech everything like a combine harvester and mash out what they don't like..

Why not just do Nightlords instead? They have skulls on their faces like the gas ask, so do Deathguard for that matter.

PariahMagnus
22-06-2006, 00:18
If he had played HL2 then he'd know how downright WTF comparing a Strider to whatever he compared it to was.

People need to just accept some themes won't fit into 40k and 40k isn't the be all and the end all of games you can fit rules in.

I'm THINKING of using it as a sentinel (armor upgrades of course). Infact I don't know if I can MAKE one. But I am trying to create an army that I can play with as well as model. Now if I have a strider on a Warhammer 40k board, I don't think any one would want to play it. "Hey, what's that?" "Oh it's a strider, It can take multiple shots from rockets before it goes down, It also has a warp cannon which obliterates anything it shoots it at" "....."

The point I am trying to get across: I think it would look cool fielding an army ressembling the Combine and it would be nice if I could try to include aspects of them while fielding a fair and resonable Warhammer 40k army.

Please keep this a constructive thread!

Mikari
22-06-2006, 00:31
BIG TEXT DOESN'T MEAN JACKSHIT EXCEPT YOU CLICKED A BUTTON.

If you can't take critism on a poorly executed theme then the least of your problems if your army theme. The point is if you're going to do Combine, then DO COMBINE, if you're not then don't.

Also I'd like to point something out to you since you don't seem to grasp it. Being constructive in it's nature requires being destructive. You can't have 1 without the other. Hence by ripping your idea to bits and pointing out how it doesn't fit the system, is giving you constructive feed back from someone who knows the subject matter. Hence I'am being constructive. Call it tough love if you can't deal with it.

Either way, bad idea. Bad concept and you won't be able to pull it off as a playable army in any worth while sense. Maybe you should try Hello Kitty Tau instead, that's not been done yet.

Avenging Dentist
22-06-2006, 00:41
:words: If you can't take critism on a poorly executed theme then the least of your problems if your army theme. The point is if you're going to do Combine, then DO COMBINE, if you're not then don't. :words:
He can do whatever he wants; it's his army. What's so weird about wanting an army that happens to look like something from somewhere else? He's not trying to incorporate the Combine's backstory into the 40K universe, he's trying to make an army that has guys with cool masks and weird-looking walkers. If your nerdrage has blinded you so much that you can't see this, then just stop posting.

I for one think it's a pretty cool idea, especially since those Combine masks look badass.

Edit for constructiveness: I highly recommend going IG. The Combine soldiers look more like Guard than Tau, and I think it would be easier for people playing against you if your models are visually similar to the army you're using as a template.

PariahMagnus
22-06-2006, 00:42
BIG TEXT DOESN'T MEAN JACKSHIT EXCEPT YOU CLICKED A BUTTON.

If you can't take critism on a poorly executed theme then the least of your problems if your army theme. The point is if you're going to do Combine, then DO COMBINE, if you're not then don't.

Also I'd like to point something out to you since you don't seem to grasp it. Being constructive in it's nature requires being destructive. You can't have 1 without the other. Hence by ripping your idea to bits and pointing out how it doesn't fit the system, is giving you constructive feed back from someone who knows the subject matter. Hence I'am being constructive. Call it tough love if you can't deal with it.

Either way, bad idea. Bad concept and you won't be able to pull it off as a playable army in any worth while sense. Maybe you should try Hello Kitty Tau instead, that's not been done yet.

Look pal, you've taken this thread a whole new way. I think I will do a Combine theme even though you're going to complain about it. And hey, maybe I will include a strider and call it a sentinel. Hell, I never understood why a thing on 3 legs could take that much punishment ;)

Well you have obviously studied this game very much and have a lot of history with it. But I am not interested in what you have to say any more. Please don't post any more unless it concerns the models themselves.

¿Tú comprendas?

PariahMagnus
22-06-2006, 00:43
He can do whatever he wants; it's his army. What's so weird about wanting an army that happens to look like something from somewhere else? He's not trying to incorporate the Combine's backstory into the 40K universe, he's trying to make an army that has guys with cool masks and weird-looking walkers. If your nerdrage has blinded you so much that you can't see this, then just stop posting.

I for one think it's a pretty cool idea, especially since those Combine masks look badass.
Thanks. I really like the mask look too. Very industrial and new age looking.

CommunistBrother
22-06-2006, 02:32
I want pictures damn it! :chrome:

Okay a bit on the constructive side: While I think Tau rules may fit better, it ultimately comes down to IG being closer visually. You're going to have to jerry-rig the Combine into the rules of either race anyhow, so I'd go with the race they physically resemble(IG).

I'm thinking you can sort of mash some weaker striders in there as a Leman Russ variant(some one said it earlier I think), and maybe you can make the Chimeras like mini-dropships. You might be able to incorporate other things like antlions with... I have no clue really, some sort of abhuman? Kroot allies and use kroot hounds?

Anyway, good luck. And on with the pictures... when you actually start.

Wraithbored
22-06-2006, 02:48
Well they are your minis you paid for em and the paints, do what you want, do it well and damn the naysayers.and this is gonna sound odd as a suggestion but how about using IG miniatures with rules from Tyranids? Example have shooty termagants as the soldiers and so on and you can use Carnifex rules to represent a strider. Not to mention including the rules from FW stuff such as the hierophant. And with the highly customizable tyrannic rules you could represent unitsand things we've never seen before heck a ripper swarm modelled so it looks like a headcrab swarm?

:0)
22-06-2006, 03:24
I'd think that IG would fit the best. Here's a rough lineup of possible units I came up with:

- Chimaera and its variants: Drop ship or APC?
- Sentinel: Strider
- Regular Platoon: alternate maybe between CP, Overwatch, or Prison Guard
- Kasrkin or Hardened Vets (Do IG have these or is it marines?): Combine Special Forces
- Valkyrie: Gunship
- LATD: Zombies

:0)
22-06-2006, 03:34
Tell me what "Combine themed" means to you.

He's never going to find an exact match for an army of alien police and marines. Maybe it would be more like HL2 to you if you forced the other opponent to play with only a single model painted orange and black? What exactly are you using as a guideline for whether this is a good idea or bad idea?

Congratulations, you just got reported.

MIGHTYPanhead
22-06-2006, 05:12
Pariah! I've had this idea (or simlar) for a long time, so I can give some suggestions

Grenadiers/stormtroopers make perfect combine soldiers, although nova prospect are cool, I'd suggest to stick witht he soldiers, it gives you more options in terms of colour schemes.

For dropships, use the rules for valkyries, their basically the same thing. VTOL et all

for gunships, use vultures (it's also called a gunship! :)) it's not a perfect fit, but decent at least

I'd suggest keeping the elite combine to veteran seargents, hardened vets, and command units, just to keep them somewhat rare.

As said, guardsmen with warrior weapons make good petro cops, but I'd still stick with soldiers.

The sentinal/strider thing is a good idea, but I'd suggest going for the mini strider look. They've only got a machine gun, so it'll gel a bit better.

Chimeras make good apc's, 'nuff said.

I'll try to dig up some pictures of the mini striders, they're pretty cool, and look a bit more like the combine.

Oh! and if you so desired, you could take combine sniper teams, as they are in the game, but they're really just combine soldiers.

for all these ideas, you'd need ot do some heft custom jobs, but if your up to scratch-building an entire army, go for it!

hope it helps! adn be sure to post pictures!

PariahMagnus
22-06-2006, 06:02
I found a nice organized list of Combine forces on earth here (http://www.hlportal.de/?sec=hl2&site=enemies). Unfortunately it's in German, but it doesn't matter that much.

I'm thinking I can use Civil protection as conscripts or basic guardsmen. And Soldiers or jail guard as Stormtroopers/Kraskrin. For the special forces I'm pondering over possibly heavy weapons, still undecided.

Here's my concept so far:
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/3121/untitled1pa.png

**I'm planning on making an initial mask and using a green stuff mold to produce more :)

AmKhaibitu
22-06-2006, 09:24
Well for the 2nd guy, you'd need a mask for that guy as well.
Not to forget the camo and stuff.
And shotguns it seems would be fitting, WH arbites rules perhaps?

Bob Hunk
22-06-2006, 12:22
I'd just like to chip-in that this is a good idea IMO. I'm a big Half-Life fan (see avatar) and had pretty much the same idea for a themed IG army while playing. While it would be impossible to capture the feel of the Combine exactly...who cares, it would look ace! :D

Good luck, and I look forward to seeing photos. :)

notdakuningist
22-06-2006, 16:11
I've never played the game before but they look good so if anything you can at least use the imagery.

Good luck and I expect many pictures.

lord_blackfang
22-06-2006, 21:07
I think Combine IG is an awesome idea, regardless of what some rabid fanboy says. Do it and post pics :)

RampagingRavener
22-06-2006, 21:47
Just out of interest, but if you wanted to feild a Strider, why not convert it and use it as a Leman Russ? The 12" move can be represented by its big strides, the Battlecannon is quite powerful so wouldn't be too bad for the big gun it has, and if you just kitted it with a hull lascannon ruleswise then you could say that its a more focussed shot with the gun...

Dunno. Just brainstorming ideas.

Warlord Kyle
23-06-2006, 04:40
if it ever works please post pics half life 2 was one of the best games ever made:D

SisterMordagg
23-06-2006, 06:07
You know, this could be done well as a airmobile force. It's obvious the combine uses lots of anti-grav/ hover tech, so a fast strike force would work very well.

Of course, the conversions for airmobile would be difficult. Then again, with the point values of some of the airmobile gear, you wouldn't have a whole ton to do.

Wraithbored
23-06-2006, 14:36
Humm this idea come up: Why not use Eldar rules with you converted IG minis? Think about it. Highly trained troops with advanced weaponry.Check. Fast flying gunships that can really do a number on troops? Check. Incredibly tough walker constructs that are organic in nature? Check. How's that for making your ingame combine troops appear pretty solid on the battlefield of the 40k universe?

blurrymadness
31-07-2006, 18:27
Actually me and a friend have been working on a combine modfor w40k, scheduled to come out around the time of w40kDC expansion, of course we have to re work some things and do the balance ect...
We have our OWN in game models rather than lazily modifying existing ones and we ARE making an extra team rather than blotting another out for the models and simplicity of just overwriting data.
It features a completly unique tech tree, a non reinforcing constantly deepstriking method of attack, as in, you'll get your full squad deepstriked, but they won't reinforce, so you can get a lot of guys somewhere quickly, but you have to wait around for your reinforcments to arrive.

Featured (but not limited to) units:

-Civil Protection Teams (metrocops)
-Manhacks (yes they will work in tandom but also not limited to the metrocops)
-Combine Soldiers
-Combine Elite
-Prowlers (never featured in game, were replaced by fast zombies, so you can imagine what they are like but they look like a crazy combine guy, look it up in google)
-Striders
-APCs
-Gargantuas (as an uber unit being controlled by the combine seeing as they DID control xen forces 38000 years or so ago, its concievable that they still own a portion of the most valuable ones)
-Stalkers (as builder units) Whoever said hordes of stalkers as conscripts, is a dumb**** lol... they're simply soldiers that were too resistant to the... conversion so they torture them by extracting organs ect, look it up in wiki
-Scanners (this is neccessary so you can deploy your forces into battle more effectivly, yes they'll be cheap and sucky, no they won't really attack except a possible special move where they blind a squad (lower accuracy) with a flash, but i'm more opposed to that than my buddy)
-Cremators Another unit not featured in game at the moment, but they exist as a flamethrower team of soldiers, this will be like a late game commander unit, but a squad, somewhat like a command squad or seer counsil..
-Combine Dropships Not a real unit, but these do everything from the deepstriking of forces, to the building of your base, in combination with stalkers (stalkers use a laser like gravitational pull with their laser eye, the dropship and them will "place" the structure into the ground, several dropships on bigger buildings, and multiple pieces for a citadel like structure. Keep in mind citadel LIKE structure, its not a citadel due to those only being errected in large cities).

Possible inclusions
-Assassin (very high poly's at the moment suggest that we won't around 7700 or something a piece, by comparison, most, even the more complex guys, in w40k are around 1500-2500)
-Hunter (same problem as the assassin, w40k can handle the polys, but your average gamer might not be able to, around 6300 a piece)
-Alien Sergeants (like the garg, from hl1, controlled by combine. This might get redundant with shooting troops however, so it might get scrapped in the name of something else more interesting)

I won't release a lot more info, and there probably won't be a site up about it for awhile, but it is in the works, and even if it gets only half done, it'd be way better than this kid's mod :eek: lmao...

yes. energy orbs, singularity (also called warp) cannon, grenade launcher, grenades, and all pulse varients (including the guass cannon (not tau cannon for those confused)) will be included. As well as other usual weapons.

Progress on the mod - As said it will most likely be done in sept-oct timeframe with dc's release. Currently all the files and structure are created, stats somewhat loosely placed, and 90% of the models are done. This means tech tree, and prices have pretty much already been permanently established and created except for later tweaks.