PDA

View Full Version : skaven everywhere

Sheerkhan
22-06-2006, 08:49
much like in the depths of the old world, skaven are everywhere on this board. it seems most people here are skaven. it is definitely the most popular army here by far.

who plays skaven as their main army? and who plays them as secondary army?

skavenguy13
22-06-2006, 10:25
1: there's not much more threads about skavens, maybe 1 or 2. And this is because new players asked for advice. I seriously doubt they're the most popular one (except at cheese-filled tournaments)

2:this goes in the General section

3:they're my 1st army

Am I supposed to understand you want to start a skaven army too? :D

Sheerkhan
22-06-2006, 10:47
thought about it. i have just noticed over the past few months so many skaven threads. not many BoC. my first army.

so, i want to know how many skaven players are here.

maybe a poll is necessary. nah, that's been done to death.

skavenguy13
22-06-2006, 11:40
Maybe it's just that BOC are less popular than most armies, which seems to be the case IMO.

Snoozer
22-06-2006, 13:12
so, i want to know how many skaven players are here.

maybe a poll is necessary. nah, that's been done to death.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31064

that’s a fairly recent poll, and according to it skaven are the 10th most popular army to collect (so maybe not the MOST popular :p), with 15.20% of Warseer collecting one

:D

Wintermute
22-06-2006, 18:27
I'm moving this thread to Fantasy General.

Wintermute

de Selby
22-06-2006, 19:41
I have noticed a lot of 'starting skaven' threads about the place. The malign influence of their recent features in White Dwarf maybe? I like the skaven idea but the models (with the exception of the plastic plague monks) don't live up to it, to me. I'll wait a few more years, GW will revisit them eventually.

Or maybe it's just their supposed tournament effectiveness that's drawing pople in?

gortexgunnerson
22-06-2006, 20:22
Their are a lot of skaven players are they are a very powerful yet versitile army that can play a number of styles very well. They also have big machine guns, a draw for those 40K players pretending to hang with the cool fantasy vets lol.

But for most collected they will never match the old guard of box armies and original armies, its an unwritten fact that anyone who has gamed since 4th edition can field am O&G army, Empire and High Elves. Admitly it will mainly be in mono pose plastic but it all adds up. I think at last count I have over 200 of each of HE archers and spearmen just from all the crap I buy on ebay and stuff retiring friends have been chucking out.

In support of Skaven they also do have a certain style that attracts people the sneaky style and the big inter clan wars, along with the mysterious council of thirteen is quite a draw. I personally love the style of Dwarfs they were first army, I still field my marauder dwarfs out regularly to this day. I have given instructions they are to be buried with me teracota warrior style lol! Though this has lead to threats of grave robbery from my clubs other major dwarf player.

So in answer to your question don't play an army because people do or don't it/say its good. Choose one you love the style of as will always lead to the most long standing and probably expensive collections lol

Nell2ThaIzzay
22-06-2006, 21:26
I don't play Skaven. But my friend does. They are his main army. And since I don't go to Games Workshop all that regularly (though I'm starting up again), he's really the only person I play, and I have to face them all the time.

But he's the only person at our Games Workshop that plays Skaven. In fact, everyone there hates him for it, lol.

Though I must say, at least in terms of Skaven, he does play a "balanced" army. He never takes more than 2 Ratling Guns, has like, 4 Jezzails max... he doesn't play the "cheese" armies...

Well, Skaven can only be so "non-cheesy", but he plays about as non-cheesy as you can for Skaven.

n00bLord
22-06-2006, 22:20
I play Skaven, well sorta. First army, they are slowly gettin painted. Its summer and I am lazy at the moment and nothing is gettin done. As of now I play in my opinion the least cheesy Skaven army by far. 500 pts though is fun, 40 clan rats, one WLC, Plauge Priest+bandsof power, two tunnler teams of 3.

Jimmy
24-06-2006, 13:13
Skaven are my first army.

Smoking Frog
24-06-2006, 14:46
I have never seen a Skaven army before. In person. I know they're big rats... that's it.

I've also never seen a Tzeentch or Slaaneshi army in person before.

The boyz
24-06-2006, 16:31
I play Skaven as my first army, well at the moment any way. Dwarfs are my main army I suppose, but they could do with a bit of a re-vamp. So at the moment I am mainly collecting and gaming with my Skaven army.

Viskrit
24-06-2006, 17:40
Skaven here. I started off as VC, and then got HE. Now I'm mostly Skaven. I first came into contact with the Ratmen when my friend played them. I always hated fighting against his Skaven army.

Can't beat them? Join them. ;)

No, I do not play SAD.

Bingo the Fun Monkey
24-06-2006, 22:21
I started a skaven army when 6th ed just came out so i still have all the nifty old plague monks and stormvermin. As my primary opponent and I mainly use campaigns as an excuse to play games I generally collect "bad-guy" armies to supplement my Waaagh. Thus, I'm planning on updating my skaven to 1500 points themed as slave traders with good connects with clan moulder.

Skaven are a really awesome army with a lot of character. Just read through the 4th ed book to get an idea of the sheer horror that they used to generate. They are straight out creepy. Alessio screwed up with some of the war machines but all in all they are a solid list (wish stormvermin weren't 0-1, the "new" brian nelson ones are gorgeous!). For these reasons it's easy to see why people are attracted to skaven...not to mention that skyre can so capably zap all the fun out of the game.

Finnblood
24-06-2006, 22:43
Skaven are my first army. They're furries!:D

E: I use Skryre, but never jezzails and not ratlings these days. Flame-throwers are much more fun! Eshin's maybe my favourite clan games-wise. Clanrats rock too!

patataman
24-06-2006, 22:52
Skaven are my first and only army xD. And I don use skyre xD

Viskrit
25-06-2006, 00:05
I like Skryre, but keep it at a healthy level.

My favourite clans are Moulder and Pestilens, hands down. Coolest models, coolest fluff.

Morskittar
26-06-2006, 22:12
I loathe the popularity of skaven.

I've been playing a Skryre army for over a decade now, full of warpfire and doomwheels. I'm not a fan of ratling guns, and certainly not a fan of the proliferation of both skaven and rules-abusing tournament players.

I miss the days of 4th when they were forgotten but solid, when warpfire throwers and jezzails were an oddity but generally ignored in favor of big characters and big monsters. Skaven were outright mocked in those days for lack of a dragon on their list.

Hopefully the 7th edition revision will neuter the all-too-safe ratling guns and launch the skaven back into obscurity. They're much more fun to win with that way.

n00bLord
26-06-2006, 23:45
I play Skaven and not with what people consider cheesy armies. I do like my 500 pt army style though he he he

Viskrit
27-06-2006, 00:04
Hopefully the 7th edition revision will neuter the all-too-safe ratling guns and launch the skaven back into obscurity. They're much more fun to win with that way.
Yes, well Weapon Teams will be made a lot less safe, with the new rules which lets the enemy target them with missile fire and magic missiles.

Morskittar
27-06-2006, 00:26
Yes, well Weapon Teams will be made a lot less safe, with the new rules which lets the enemy target them with missile fire and magic missiles.

I certainly like the sound of that. More lurking about the flanks waiting for an opportunity feels much better to me.

Viskrit
27-06-2006, 00:52
Yes, I can see many cheesy Skaven players losing their edge, since missile units on hills will now be able to pick them out with ease, even though they might try to hide behind Skaven regiments. A Ratling Gun will likely be easy victory points, considering how easy they will be to pick out. And they can't take much damage either.

Ganymede
27-06-2006, 02:39
Against some armies, they always were that way. A cannon of any type always had a great chance of killing a weapon team. Also, the two most popular lores of magic, life and heavens,had a bevvy of resources designed to take out weapon teams.

Against other armies, it is a world of hurt.

Morskittar
27-06-2006, 03:35
Against some armies, they always were that way. A cannon of any type always had a great chance of killing a weapon team. Also, the two most popular lores of magic, life and heavens,had a bevvy of resources designed to take out weapon teams.

Against other armies, it is a world of hurt.

You can always charge them, too. Never understood why people didn't do this. Charge, overrun, and run past the skaven line, safe from countercharges.

Verminmistress
27-06-2006, 09:33
*waves paw*

Another Skaven player here. I'm mostly biased towards Pestilens and Moulder; I only use Skryre stuff because I have to (curse you, tree-loving Elf-things!); and for reasons I can't actually remember, I don't use any Eshin troops at all. I should probably try them at some point, but I'm a creature of habit and I like my army!

Viskrit
27-06-2006, 17:17
Pestilens and Moulder are my favs too. :)

DjtHeutii
27-06-2006, 18:19
I've been collecting any playing Skaven since they first appeared. (the La Monistal Scenerio for 2nd ed. Yes, I am very old :) ) Clan Skryre was always my favorite. I like mad science and crazy contraptions and that sort of thing. It's too bad it has gotten so terribly maligned, but I still use my 3rd ed Jezzails and my 3rd ed warpfire thowers. I like the new Skryre stuff and most of the 6th ed models in general as they brought the Skaven back into scale with the older stuff.

I don't play "SAD," per se, but I play my army pretty much like I always did and the Skryre stuff is not going to go away in my force in 7th. I'll have to leave the weapon teams at home, but that just gives me room for a Cannon and more Jezzzails :evilgrin:

Fred_Scuttle
28-06-2006, 05:51
Is there a red headed Scully special character to go into the Moulder army?

Morskittar
28-06-2006, 18:03
I don't play "SAD," per se, but I play my army pretty much like I always did and the Skryre stuff is not going to go away in my force in 7th. I'll have to leave the weapon teams at home, but that just gives me room for a Cannon and more Jezzzails :evilgrin:

Nearly exactly what I do: all the "original" Skryre gear, even with the Citadel Journal rules for Doomwheels. I have used ratling guns (newfangled equipment!) on occasion, but will always voluntarily fire D6 shots. It's way more fun that way!

Bobby_Wokkerfella
29-06-2006, 05:38
Yet another servant of the Horned Rat here. Skaven are my fav army, I own about 3k. Unfortuanlty I doubt I will ever get them all painted, and such I'm saving them for the end of year holiday one year. Most of my stuff is early 6th/Late 5th but I did pick up a new battalion for the sake of it, so have a few of the new models.

Viskrit
29-06-2006, 14:04
I suggest you try to paint what you have, before you buy new stuff. But I know the feeling, I've done the same thing a million times myself. ;)

jp22102000
29-06-2006, 15:52
i have about 1000 points of skaven, mostly clanrats. i would really love to make a moulder heavy list, but i am not a fan of the new models, especially the giant rats. they look too mutated to me, i wish i could find some normal looking ones cheap.

Verminmistress
29-06-2006, 15:54
You should still be able to get the old Giant Rat blisters in GW shops, but they're fairly mutated too. (Which makes sense, considering they're Moulder creations.) There's always the old Warhammer Quest Giant Rats, I suppose, but they're bloody horrible and have a hunchback and no neck.

Viskrit
29-06-2006, 17:01
jp22102000 - Do you mean the new plastic Giant Rats, which come with the new Rat Ogres in a boxed sets? They don't look all that mutated to me. `

Here's a picture, I think they look very nice.

http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99120206005&orignav=13

Jadesnake4
29-06-2006, 22:59
I used to be a High Elf player in 4th and 5th ed, but I always regretted never collecting Skaven instead. Having now got a (non-cheese) Skaven army, it's just worth playing for the sheer amusment when people stare at the ratling guns, although my newly aquired Doomwheel has caused a few ripple where I play, lol!

When I went to GW to buy my army, the assistant trying to flog me stuff ran away, I don't think he likes Skaven!

Ironhand
29-06-2006, 23:25
I'm sure that Doomwheel causes consternation, since it's not in the current Skaven army book. Too bad, I always liked the hamster wheel o' doom.

Jadesnake4
30-06-2006, 21:15
There are rules for the Doomwheel, well, there is in the uk, look under Skaven Special characters in Warhammer Fastast battle, you'll find PDF doc's for the Doomwheel + Verminlord

WillFightForFood
30-06-2006, 22:02
The Doomwheel remains quite ridiculous, but then most people laugh at the prospect of a giant hamster wheel with a rat on top so excited driving that he's immune to psychology.

Morskittar
30-06-2006, 22:12
The Doomwheel remains quite ridiculous, but then most people laugh at the prospect of a giant hamster wheel with a rat on top so excited driving that he's immune to psychology.

You forgot the arcs of highly destructive lightning shooting off in random directions.

The Warlord
01-07-2006, 00:24
I too like the Doomwheel but I too think that it's more ridiculous than darkly humoruos(sp?) which is some of the things I like with Skaven.

Jadesnake4
01-07-2006, 12:50
Oh, it's just worth playing when you roll 3" for movement...que Scottish accent saying, 'We just ain't got the power captain', lol

Verminmistress
01-07-2006, 12:52
I love the Doomwheel. I've only used it twice- once, it was mobbed by Treekin and smashed to pieces, and once it collided with a unit of Ogres and exploded (taking a number of my other troops with it), but it's so gleefully anarchic that I can't help loving it. :D