PDA

View Full Version : Starting High Elves ( how do you fit anything in? )

SoulFire S
16-12-2014, 21:48
Evening all,

My wife has got me some High Elves for Christmas and as I love most of the models I thought I would turn them into an army. My problem is I have no idea what i'm doing and was hoping for some guidance. So the aim is to go for a 2400 point list in the end which I would like to plan ahead so i know what to buy although I will be playing smaller games in the mean time so it may change a bit by the time I get there.

So I need help with general list building and maybe a bit of tactics advice to go along with it. I'm not after a list that is going to destroy everything but I don't want to lose every game either. The models I already have are 32 spearmen, 16 archers and x2 bolt throwers which I want to include. I have to include a unit of Phoenix Guard as they look amazing, I would like to include some Sword Masters but I don't want to include any White Lions as I don't like the models.

I was toying having a core force of x2 30 man spear units, 25man Phoenix Guard x2 bolt throwers and x2 units of 15 archers but this comes to 1400 points without characters or anything fast which is a lot! What am I doing wrong? Is 3 infantry blocks too much, maybe the units are too big?

Sorry for the long post but I'm confused lol any and all help would be great!

Cheers

Knifeparty
16-12-2014, 21:55
The unit sizes aren't the problem, it's the number of units. As a pretty basic rule, if you are playing competitively in any way don't take more core than you need to. A single unit of 30 Spears, a single unit of 15 archers and 2 units of 5 reavers should fill your core at 2400 points. The rest of the army is for stuff that will actually win you games. Generally speaking strength 3 just doesn't cut it, think of everything in the core section of the HE book as a support unit. The only thing that can really stand on it's own is Silverhelms but you need characters in the unit to really make them work.

You'll probably want to grab some reavers to fill core and use as Bait/flee/re-direct units, and 3 or 4 Bolt Throwers as taking just 2 generally doesn't do much.

Again, keep core at a minimum, just 25% thats all you need. Spend the rest of the stuff on what you need to win.

SoulFire S
16-12-2014, 22:01
Cheers for the fast reply it really helps. So how about 1 unit of 30 Spearmen the unit of Phoenix Guard. I was toying with 2 small units of 5 sword masters that can flank anythink that charges them? Yea I was looking at Reavers but I thought Great Eagles would be better for going for war machines.

What is your opinion on the Fire Phoenix?

Philhelm
16-12-2014, 22:09
I normally play Empire but have recently started with Dark Elves, which are similar to the High Elves. I'm not sure what the general consensus is for the best High Elf builds, but...

Three infantry units are not too many for a 2,400 point list. For my Empire army, I run an exclusively infantry-based list and have fared well, although I am dependent upon small detachment units to help prevent being outmaneuvered.

I believe that a 30-man High Elf Spearman unit can be effective with their re-rolls to hit (usually), and extra rank of attacks from Martial Prowess. I probably wouldn't go much smaller though. You could even go bigger, as a horde of 50 Spearmen could potentially have 50 attacks if facing an opposing horde and if you did not charge that turn. You would definitely want to boost the unit with spells however. Some High Elf players might not even take Spearmen, but I think they are too iconic not to take.

I would probably field three 10-man units of Archers in order to provide more targets for the opponent to deal with and to be able to better divide your firepower as needed. I would give them Musicians as well, in case they need to reform and shoot a unit that might be coming around your flanks.

Regarding the points, you will probably want a Prince/Lord, BSB, and level 4 Wizard at a minimum; with magic items, you will eat up plenty of points right there.

You can also field Silver Helms (which I believe are core!) and/or Dragon Princes for your heavy cavalry options. In this case, it would probably be best to have units of five and try to charge an enemy that is already in combat with one of your infantry blocks in order to piggy-back on the infantry unit's rank bonus and such.

Knifeparty
16-12-2014, 22:22
For elite HE infantry 7 wide and 3 ranks deep is the magic number. It maximizes attacks while still being a small enough frontage to manoeuvre properly and reduce the amount of attacks coming back. Sword masters can be used in big or small units. I run a unit of 28 (not recommended for super competitive play) but a friend of mine runs 15. Fire Phoenix's are ok, Frost Phoenix's are better. Much better.

Doommasters
16-12-2014, 22:49
Frost pheonix are fantastic (i would get two), Prince on Star Dragon is also really fun to play with and you will definately need a couple of mages to make your lists work (one as a scroll caddy and the other being the lvl4).

Pheonix guard are super durable but lack killing power so would work well with sword masters who have the opposite problem (units of 5 are to small, I would go minimum 7 if not more for SM as they die quickly). Magic is pretty key and I have found that Life tends to work quite well with Swordmasters as giving them regen, boosting toughness and regaining wounds is a huge help, Life does not help the pheonix guard so much though....shadow is another lore to look into. Bolt throwers are fantastic and it would not hurt to get one more so you can field three of them.

As mentioned above the key thing with HE is to take the minimum core only as they really are the crutch of the army.

I think you have the makings of a balanced army;

Lvl 4 Mage
BSB
Lvl 1 Mage

Archers
Spears
Reavers

Swordmaster darts
Pheonix Guard

Frost Pheonix
Bolt Throwers

If you want to be able to mix it up: second pheonix (magnet the rider), prince on dragon (also magnet the mage for further options) and a third bolt thrower..these extra few units with allow you to really mix up your list building

SoulFire S
17-12-2014, 06:27
Cheers for all the help gents!

Doommasters I love the look of that list! All the models I like and looks like a lot of fun if I can squeeze in some Dragon Princes aswell I will be a happy man lol.

The dragon I will be leaving as unfortunatly as much as I would love to use one I have a fair few Dwarf, Empire and Skaven in my local meta and it will just depress me watching it die.

Is it worth taking 2 Frost Phoenixes for target saturation or is that overkill?

Doommasters
17-12-2014, 08:50
Cheers for all the help gents!

Doommasters I love the look of that list! All the models I like and looks like a lot of fun if I can squeeze in some Dragon Princes aswell I will be a happy man lol.

The dragon I will be leaving as unfortunatly as much as I would love to use one I have a fair few Dwarf, Empire and Skaven in my local meta and it will just depress me watching it die.

Is it worth taking 2 Frost Phoenixes for target saturation or is that overkill?

Cannons will make the dragon less effective for sure. If you are thinking of getting some dragon princes it could be worth grabbing a prince on steed at the same time to add a little extra punch. Since you won't be taking the WL botwd combo I think 2 frost Phoenix is totally worth it, they really are one of the best units in the book.

Brother Haephestus
17-12-2014, 12:17
The dwarf in me tends to use a lot of 'anvil and hammer' tactics, and that isn't a bad way to start working your tactics out. The concept is to have a decently survivable unit poised to take (or give, nothing says the anvil has to be passive) the charge, and a nice hard-hitting unit to slam into the side. For example, your spears could be the anvil, with a unit of Dragon Princes as the hammer.

Definitely take time to review your army's strengths and weaknesses and have a specific plan for your units. This impacts how you deploy and maneuver your forces.

One of the things I am adamant about is viewing every unit as potentially of value. There are many lists and tactics on the Internet, but I view them like Spock does logic: it is the BEGINNING of wisdom. Nothing is better than your own experience, so get out there and fight!

NemoSD
17-12-2014, 17:42
Despite popular internet theory, Sea Guard are also an excellent Core choice. They are harder to use, and work best with a Sea Helm. (The main reason people poo on these guys is they are 'more' expensive, and require a little babysitting.)

The way I run:

Allarielle
Noble BSB
Mage on Horse (Fire normally.)
(Occasionally I add a Prince on Horse)
Sea Helm

Sea Guard 28 Strong
Archers 16
Reavers 5
Reavers 5
Silver Helm 8+2 Characters. (Normally the Prince and Mage)

PG 20
Swordmasters 14

2 Bolt throwes
10 Sisters

If using internet wisdom, I should lose every game, but the way it works is the Sea Guard march forward in archer formation (3 rows ten wide) and belt everything in front of them with arrows. Yeah you aint going to wound much, but every wound is one less you have to do later. Allarielle is in this unit and she should spend the early turns getting Throne up and all that jazz. The reavers roam ahead, trying to draw out a charge. If they get charged, have the reavers flee, regroup, so on, so forth. You will also have your archers in the back firing 16 arrows a turn, plus the bolt throwers AND the sisters. You want the Plus Toughness, Regenerating Sea Guard to take the first charge, so make sure the reavers are funneling charges towards them. When that charge finally happens, use the Sea Helm to adjust the formation to tailor for that charge, and watch what happens when a bunch of T4 5+/5+ Regenerating ASF Elves gets charged.

Then you bring your silver helms/sm/or reavers in for the flank, and position to begin engaging the other players units, trying to keep them on the PG, your other anvil.

It works, and I think it works because people don't take the units seriously, and are not ready for how they get used. It takes practice though. This list is built with tactical play in mind, not theoryhammer number crafting in mind. It can not win based on numbers alone, it wins by being aggressive and in control of the battlefield. Do not take it to EoT games. The numbers in EoT are just too dominating, you need to tailor your list for EoT stuff, with EoT stuff.

Doommasters
17-12-2014, 19:47
Despite popular internet theory, Sea Guard are also an excellent Core choice. They are harder to use, and work best with a Sea Helm. (The main reason people poo on these guys is they are 'more' expensive, and require a little babysitting.)

The way I run:

Allarielle
Noble BSB
Mage on Horse (Fire normally.)
(Occasionally I add a Prince on Horse)
Sea Helm

Sea Guard 28 Strong
Archers 16
Reavers 5
Reavers 5
Silver Helm 8+2 Characters. (Normally the Prince and Mage)

PG 20
Swordmasters 14

2 Bolt throwes
10 Sisters

If using internet wisdom, I should lose every game, but the way it works is the Sea Guard march forward in archer formation (3 rows ten wide) and belt everything in front of them with arrows. Yeah you aint going to wound much, but every wound is one less you have to do later. Allarielle is in this unit and she should spend the early turns getting Throne up and all that jazz. The reavers roam ahead, trying to draw out a charge. If they get charged, have the reavers flee, regroup, so on, so forth. You will also have your archers in the back firing 16 arrows a turn, plus the bolt throwers AND the sisters. You want the Plus Toughness, Regenerating Sea Guard to take the first charge, so make sure the reavers are funneling charges towards them. When that charge finally happens, use the Sea Helm to adjust the formation to tailor for that charge, and watch what happens when a bunch of T4 5+/5+ Regenerating ASF Elves gets charged.

Then you bring your silver helms/sm/or reavers in for the flank, and position to begin engaging the other players units, trying to keep them on the PG, your other anvil.

It works, and I think it works because people don't take the units seriously, and are not ready for how they get used. It takes practice though. This list is built with tactical play in mind, not theoryhammer number crafting in mind. It can not win based on numbers alone, it wins by being aggressive and in control of the battlefield. Do not take it to EoT games. The numbers in EoT are just too dominating, you need to tailor your list for EoT stuff, with EoT stuff.

The key reason Seaguard have not been mentioned is because the OP already has core units in his collection. Money would be much better spend on lords, special and rare at this point.

English 2000
17-12-2014, 20:33
The key reason Seaguard have not been mentioned is because the OP already has core units in his collection. Money would be much better spend on lords, special and rare at this point.
That's easy enough to change. Spearmen come with bows and arrows in a quiver.

I'm in the process of manetizing mine so that I can put them on the backs of my Spearmen to turn them into LSG and remove them again if I ever want them to be Spearmen instead.

Doommasters
17-12-2014, 20:54
That's easy enough to change. Spearmen come with bows and arrows in a quiver.

I'm in the process of manetizing mine so that I can put them on the backs of my Spearmen to turn them into LSG and remove them again if I ever want them to be Spearmen instead.

Fair call that is definately an option if the models are not already built

English 2000
17-12-2014, 20:58
Fair call that is definately an option if the models are not already built
Mine were built and painted years ago. You can still do it. The magnet is silver like the backplate. I just drill a hole, push the magnet in and violla, it doesn't show that much. Obviously if you're very particular about the appearance of your model's back you won't like what I've done.

My guys never run away so my opponent doesn't ever see their back. [emoji4]

infamousme
17-12-2014, 22:27
Mine were built and painted years ago. You can still do it. The magnet is silver like the backplate. I just drill a hole, push the magnet in and violla, it doesn't show that much. Obviously if you're very particular about the appearance of your model's back you won't like what I've done.

My guys never run away so my opponent doesn't ever see their back. [emoji4]
Or you just paint the magnet and make sure it's flush with the backplate. No one would ever see it.

English 2000
17-12-2014, 23:12
Or you just paint the magnet and make sure it's flush with the backplate. No one would ever see it.
That's exactly what I'm doing minus the painting bit.

English 2000
17-12-2014, 23:23
To the OP, it's tricky to give generic advice on what to buy next because high Elves can do just about anything well, unless you plan to have a large collection (like me with 10k points), I recommend building an all comers list. After you have that you can start getting models for more of the focused lists (well actually you can do whatever you want, but you know what I mean).

For core the general rule is Silverhelms>Reavers>Archers>LSG >Spearmen.

People will argue the exact order based on what the units are supported by, but the general consensus is that the first 3 are worth taking the last two are not. Even that is meta specific. I am converting my 32 Spearmen into LSG because I have them painted, not because I think they're the power choice. Keep in mind that even the weaker elf choices are still usable.

Elite Infantry, (almost) everyone agrees White Lions are great. You don't like the models so I'll leave it there.

Phoenix Guard are a great anvil. With that razor banner and/or Wyssans they're something to fear.
Many elf players wrote Swordmasters off when the new book came out. I'm one of them. I've since changed my opinion.

Small units of 5-7 were amazing in 7th, good in 8th with our old book. Now don't rate them. They don't have rerolls to hit so you really need supporting attacks to keep the damage output up.

What I do regularly take is 18-24 with a level 4 on high magic and the Banner of the Crutch Dragon. Once you get the ward save going they're amazing. The bigger the game the bigger you want the unit.

It's not as good as the Allarielle/White Lion deathstar, but not many things are. It's a lot less boring and much less cruel for casual play. Unless your group play style is to go as hard as possible in which case an Allarielle/Swordmaster deathstar could work well.

Shadow Warriors are amazing. Since I'm on my phone in not going to go into detail here but you can search around for past posts I've made talking about why I like them. Ignore the naysayers, they're honestly amazing.

Chariots: most competitive players don't rate them. Some people like 1 or 2 (of any variety) as extra support for charges. It's often hard to -squeeze them in though so they're often dropped. Almost everyone will tell you not to bother with units of Tiranocs. While I agree, I've just finish a unit of 3. I'm going to find it a whirl and see what happens. I'm also going to have 2-3 units of them baked up by Lion Chariots for a Boudicca themed army that is in my head. Or rather Boudicelf :) It'll probably suck but what the hell, I've got the models why not have some fun.

For rare, Frosthearts are amazing. Get one. Get it now. Never play without it. Yes, they're that good.

I generally take 2 bolt throwers. 4 is better, but I generally only play 2k games.

I've never used Sisters, don't own the models. They're very popular though, and from reading the rules it's easy to see why. I don't think they're ever a bad choice.

Flamespyre is generally not a powerchoice, but with a character on top it haa the potential to be really annoying when it comes back to life. I'm planning to convert one of my Island of Blood griffons into a Flamespyre soon(ish).

Characters: I've skipped over them because in almost all of my armies I go a light on characters. The last time I used a special character what in 6th edition when I took Kemmler and Krell against Archaon.

The last time I took a character on a monster was also 6th edition (only once), the time before that was 4th edition. I'm really not qualified to talk about Dragons and Griffons... but I'm planning to add a Dragon rider soon now that I can fit proper one in at 2k.

The High Elf tactica thread here has a wealth of information. It's well worth the time to read through.

The Ulthuan forum is amazing too.

N00B
18-12-2014, 00:10
I am going to say Tiranoc chariots are probably what I think of as one of the most underrrated units in the book.

For 70 pts they kill almost all chaff units.

They can shoot if you are holding them back in a reserve/counter-charge position

They still hit hard - Impact hits, asf spear-elf are pretty solid vs a lot of units.

They are great targets for some buffs. Wyssans wildform, harmonic convergance or anything else that helps them wound is nasty.

Big units are unwieldy but can work well in the right list. Against anything sufficiently elite that they cant take a lot of models to remain steadfast they will do well.

My current list takes 5 tiranoc's at the moment - two solo and one unit of three. My rare is bolt throwers. With my mage on heavens i can sit back, whittle down my opponent (harmonic convergence bubble is also great with bolt throwers) and force them to come to me. When their depleted army is close enough I charge and usually break them.

It is not super competitive but it gets the job done a lot of the time.

Shadeseraph
18-12-2014, 00:42
Frankly, for anything not at the level of a tournament, every single HE unit is viable. I've run blocks of spearmen supported by units of chariots and Flamespyre Phoenixes, and still got a good game. As long as you have a coherent army, and an idea of how to play it against the enemy, almost every choice is solid. Understanding how the game is played, and how to deal with the different kind of threats is, in my opinion, much more important than getting the best army choices, as those are going to be heavily dependant on your playstyle and meta.

For example, my meta has a lot of people playing with big units and some ultra-powerful lord choices, with few shooting and redirecting. Swordmasters are proving invaluable to eat over those big units (and I use them in 7-12), while cavalry is great at holding, redirecting or diverting überlords.

Personally, I'd suggest you to ask yourself some questions about your own army:
1) Which units are designed to win decisive combats, and how do they win (tons of wounds, attrition, force concentration...)? Typically this is the task of 2-4 units with enough resilience and killing power, such as White lions, Silver Helms or Swordmasters, but I've used a large unit of 50 spearmen and some chariots for this task, and against the correct oponent, a Phoenix can be devastating in this role.
2) How am I going to protect those units from their counters? This is usually done through redirectors, such as Great Eagles, Ellyrion Reavers or shadow warriors, but a unit of white lions or a phoenix could as well do this.
3) How am I going to make sure my winning units reach their intended targets? You need to make sure your "kill" units reach their targets. Typically, shooting is used to keep enemy redirectors out, but playing defensively is also viable depending on your enemy's army.
4) How do I want to tackle the magic phase? The magic phase is very important, as it can switch easily all these factors around.

I guess there are a bunch more questions you could ask yourself, but these are, IMHO, the key to building a coherent army.

SoulFire S
18-12-2014, 07:31
Wow thanks for all the great replies.

Truthfully i skipped over the Sea Guard because of the points. Going over this thread and all the advice I have decided to do a Phoenix themed list coming from the area of Ulthuan where the Phoenix Guard come from. I do intend to build up a collection but I'm not there yet which is why I was looking at lists.

I'm going to work out a list I like tonight and then I'll post it up for peoples thoughts. I will be playing cusually at this stage with my group so super competitive isn't important but after playing a few games with Brets I need an easier learning curve.

Really apreciate all the help so far and as said I'll play with a list after work tonight and post it up.

Cheers

SoulFire S
18-12-2014, 22:59
Ok so I have an idea for a list.

Archmage level 4
mage level 2
bsb razor standard
30 spears full command
20 swordmasters full command
20 Phoenix guard full command
x5 ellyrian reavers bows and spears
frost Phoenix
x2 bolt throwers

which comes to 2065 leaving me 335 points to spend. I was thinking of a cavalry block would go well but not sure about silver helms or dragon princes? Also any advice on magic items I should take? Book of hoeth looks nasty! Lol

cheers for any help your willing to give.

Doommasters
18-12-2014, 23:09

Archmage level 4
mage level 2
bsb razor standard
30 spears full command
frost Phoenix
x2 bolt throwers

which comes to 2065 leaving me 335 points to spend. I was thinking of a cavalry block would go well but not sure about silver helms or dragon princes? Also any advice on magic items I should take? Book of hoeth looks nasty! Lol

Silverhelms are a good core unit but since you don't have them is it really worth spending your money on them? Dragon princes a decent and look great on the table, however you may wish to fit a prince in the list if you go with them as he can provide some killing power after the charge. In saying that if you are going for a Pheonix King list a second Pheonix (you could even go fire so you have one of each) would be my pick and just make sure the core you have adds up to 25%. Also in most cases you don't want to give the bsb a magic standard as that means he does not get magic items. The razor standard is great on the PG and the Botwd goes nicely on the Sword Masters. Also whereever you put characters make sure the unit has a champion so you can accept challenges with him/her. Musicians also help greatly with reforming :)

The key thing is to get the models right so you have options for list building, you can play around with the magic items after.

Shadeseraph
18-12-2014, 23:59

Archmage level 4
mage level 2
bsb razor standard
30 spears full command
frost Phoenix
x2 bolt throwers

-Magical banner on BSB (Except for the banner of the cheat dragon) - Bad, bad idea. On a character on foot? even worse. Move that to whichever unit you might want to empower. You want your BSB well protected, both because he is very useful (LD rerolls are lifesavers) and because he gives 100 extra victory points if he dies. The BotWD is an exception, because it offers better protection than most magic items, but it's still a bad idea to take it on a bsb on foot. At most, you are looking at a 4+/6++, which means he'll get murdered.
-For magic items, the book is an staple, as is the dispel scroll. A ring of Khaine's fury can also be quite useful, but it depends on your magic plan. Still, take a look at what you want to do with your magic phase. You have a fairly standard magic setup, but lore choice is key at determining how the list fares, and the same army with different lores might play a completely different game.
Other good items are the talisman of preservation, which is going to be a must, as you don't have a bunker for your characters, the shield of the merwynn (one of the cheapest 4++ in c/c int he game), and the dawnstone (though that's more useful to mounted characters).
-A unit of cavalry will give you some "ranged" pressure to deal with enemy chaff or threaten long charges, which your list is currently lacking (your list is fairly low on shooting). It's a good addition. Dragon princes are the better choice, if you've got your core covered, but you can also run a noble on great eagle or griffon or a phoenix, as Doommasters said.

The list is fine for most games, but it will suffer in a heavily competitive environment because it lacks ways to deal with faster threats: only 2 BT, 15 reaver bows and a frostie mean you'll have trouble dealing with evasive Dark or Wood elves, skink lizardmen, and dwarven gunlines. Magic lore selection is going to be a huge factor.

Erathil
19-12-2014, 01:53
I'm in a similar boat as the OP. I've been picking up bits and pieces of a high elf army for a while now, and I'd like to get them worked into something I can actually run with, but I'm not quite clear on where I am and what I need. Or, maybe, how to use what I have...

-I have three boxes of spearmen for core, and I was thinking of building them as a large block of seaguard.
-I have the Ellyrian Reavers from IoB, one unit of five.
-Two boxes of White Lions
-A White Lion Chariot
-Two boxes of Sisters of Avelorn (although I suppose I could assemble them as shadow warriors)
-A Bolt-Thrower
-A Wind-Cutter

I'm thinking of running with a level 4 life archmage, a prince or sealord for BSB, a level 2 high magic mage, and handmaiden for the Sisters.

As I understand it, the special rule high elf mages get is additive, so my lowbie high magic mage would get a bonus to casts both from himself and from my life mage.

Does any of this sound remotely feasible? I'm particularly worried about the core.

SoulFire S
19-12-2014, 10:14
Ok so after looking at the advice this morning from everyone which I really appreciate I have come up with a list I really like. Although I have done this at work so I may be a bit under or over the 2400 point mark as I dont have the book with me.

Archmage level 4
book of Hoeth ( spelling could be miles off lol)

Noble BSB
heavy Armour
Enchanted Shield
Magic item from the BRB giving a 4+ ward forgot the name. Giving him a 3+ 4+ ward

X30 spearmen full command

X20 Phoenix Guard full command
Razor standard

X20 Swordmasters full command

Frost Phoenix

X4 Bolt Throwers

X5 Ellyrian Reavers bows and spears

X5 Ellyrian Reavera bows and spears

X10 Dragon Princes full command

Bolt throwers give me some good shooting the 3 regiments give me a nice battleline while the Dragon Princes and frost Phoenix can be where needed.

Thoughts ladies and gents?

English 2000
19-12-2014, 17:14
Ok so after looking at the advice this morning from everyone which I really appreciate I have come up with a list I really like. Although I have done this at work so I may be a bit under or over the 2400 point mark as I dont have the book with me.

Archmage level 4
book of Hoeth ( spelling could be miles off lol)

Noble BSB
heavy Armour
Enchanted Shield
Magic item from the BRB giving a 4+ ward forgot the name. Giving him a 3+ 4+ ward

X30 spearmen full command

X20 Phoenix Guard full command
Razor standard

X20 Swordmasters full command

Frost Phoenix

X4 Bolt Throwers

X5 Ellyrian Reavera bows and spears

X10 Dragon Princes full command

Bolt throwers give me some good shooting the 3 regiments give me a nice battleline while the Dragon Princes and frost Phoenix can be where needed.

Thoughts ladies and gents?

My quick thoughts:

4++ needs to go on you Archmage.

Banner of the Crutch Dragon on Swordmasters.

Dragon armour, normal shield, dawnstone and dragonhelm on your bsb. 3+ rerollable armour save. If he's on foot put him with the Swordmasters. If not mounted with the Dragon Princes and give him a lance.

Try to fit 5 Shadow Warriors in, probably by dropping a bolt thrower.