PDA

View Full Version : Shooty 'Nids?

Angelus Mortis
13-06-2005, 22:38
Anyone else considering this type of army? Or am I the only crazy one here? I think the 'Nids definitely have been made to be more shooty and possibly even make for a nasty shooty army. I am seriously considering making a shooty 'Nid army. Just to stir things up. :D

Kargos Bloodspit
13-06-2005, 23:04
Yeah I am. The potential for this is devastating. I'm going to be getting two battleforces to start of my nids (in two seperate months). I intend to have at least 1 , maybe 2 elite carnifexes with 2 twin-linked devourers. Hive Tyrant with two twin-linked devourers (thats 12 shots there). 'Nid Warriors with twin linked devourers (thats 4 shots per turn each). And last but not least, termagants with all Devourers. Granted, im not going to rely purely upon shooting. Such strategies are to vulnerable to assault (nids? never :p). So i've got a few backup plans. Such as the carnifex with a possible 10 str 10 attacks on the charge. (then again, that could be as low as 5 attacks on the charge, so im contemplating reducing that down to 9 assured attacks on the charge). Lots of hormagaunts for sure, though where as with the termagants im going for 16 strong units, im going for 32 strong units of hormagaunts, because I want to use genestealers as well. Fast Attack im going to be mostly spore mine clusters :evilgrin: just great for dealing with tightly packed horde armies or AC.

Angelus Mortis
14-06-2005, 00:06
I thought about the Devourer stuff too. The 'Fexes will still have S9 CC attacks with no saves and 2d6 armor pen so it would still be nasty in melee. My HT I was going to make windged with 2x TL Devourers. That way he can move and lay down the smackdown. The sheer number of shots you can put out with this army is intimidating. Hmm...winged Warriors with Devourers...hmmm.

Kargos Bloodspit
14-06-2005, 00:10
I thought about the Devourer stuff too. The 'Fexes will still have S9 CC attacks with no saves and 2d6 armor pen so it would still be nasty in melee. My HT I was going to make windged with 2x TL Devourers. That way he can move and lay down the smackdown. The sheer number of shots you can put out with this army is intimidating. Hmm...winged Warriors with Devourers...hmmm.

Yeah, its best to remember, Devourers are assault so we have to use this to our advantage. So couple this with wings, and we have rapidly re-deploying firepower capable of getting to the right areas of the board to lay the smackdown on any units out of cover.

blitz589
14-06-2005, 00:13
Anyone else considering this type of army? Or am I the only crazy one here? I think the 'Nids definitely have been made to be more shooty and possibly even make for a nasty shooty army. I am seriously considering making a shooty 'Nid army. Just to stir things up. :D
What would you use for troops. id probably use spinefist

TomKamakazi
14-06-2005, 01:20
One day, far in the future after my space wolves and Eldar are finished I will be building a gun platform 'fex with a venom cannon and barbed strangler, and I will position him like this (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3382). The guns will be in the top arm sockets with the ammo feeder arms below them reaching up with wire and green stuff... one day

*looks off into the distance wistfully*

Angelus Mortis
14-06-2005, 01:30
What would you use for troops. id probably use spinefist
Guants w/Devourer and Toxin Sacs. Thats 64 S3 shots with re-rolls to wound at 18". Alternatively, you could get rid of the sacs and take Without Number if you don't mind S2 Devourers. Of course it could still work as you can re-roll your wounds. Also some Genestealers could be handy even though they aren't shooty.

the spook
14-06-2005, 01:54
I think you're overlooking the fact that all the guns have caps on total weapon strength now. So for instance, your devourer 'fex will only spit out about four str6 shots. However, take a serious look at raveners as a nasty little shooty unit. Considering that 3 can put out 18 str.4 living ammo shots...

Angelus Mortis
14-06-2005, 02:23
I think you're overlooking the fact that all the guns have caps on total weapon strength now. So for instance, your devourer 'fex will only spit out about four str6 shots. However, take a serious look at raveners as a nasty little shooty unit. Considering that 3 can put out 18 str.4 living ammo shots...2x TL Devourers on a 'Fex is 8xS6 shots. On a Tyrant its 12xS5. Thats pretty shooty to me, especially when you can re-roll to hit and to wound.

The Beast
14-06-2005, 13:57
Personally I had a 3rd edition shooty nid army that nearly always won mission based games thanks to assault weapons. Also is it possible to take won leaping spinegaunts? If so that would be a pain in non victory point games. As to the fex taking devs I fail to see the use as re-roll to wound is really not all that helpful. But he would be good as a deterrent from assault as your tyrant would be very limited in cc with only 3 attacks. That and I know the power of a rav dev unit as I fielded them to much success in 3rd and they have only gotten better. Although I would have preffered the no fof and stayed with the 9 inch move.

athamas
14-06-2005, 14:16
the rerolls make a shooty nid army very deadly!

a flying HT with 2 pairs of Devourers wouldbe able to gun down units... with ease!

x-esiv-4c
14-06-2005, 14:41
Crap, thats all we need...death from above, What next? Close-combat Firewarriors?

Angelus Mortis
14-06-2005, 15:52
Crap, thats all we need...death from above, What next? Close-combat Firewarriors? :p I know, right! Don't be surprised if you do see an increase in Tau close combat capability though. I can easily see a trend of adding more unpredicitability to a list. You always could count on 'Nids to assault, now not so much. Wouldn't it make sense to make the Tau more unpredictable, to add a decent assault element to them? That way you can't always say "Well I know he will have 6 Broadsides, so he has to put them here." More choices to a list is always a good thing.