PDA

View Full Version : New Prices

EmperorsChamp01
14-06-2005, 02:19
Games workshop decided to raise the prices up and it sux. The New tac squad is now 35 bucks. It doesnt take effect untill july in the US. I havent seen any other thread on it so heres the link http://us.games-workshop.com/news/current/spill1.htm

:0)
14-06-2005, 02:21
It seems that the US is the only one in North America getting regiment boxes raised. Canada is only getting some blisters and bitz raised from my observations.

Angelus Mortis
14-06-2005, 02:21
10-15% increase. Jesus H. I'm pretty certain inflation doesn't go up that high every year. As a matter of fact, I absolutely positive its not even a third of that. Greedy bastids.

Illuminarch
14-06-2005, 02:26
Stop buying from GW then, or buy through other parties, like Ebay. There's plenty of other manufacturers that make great looking minis that can supplement your forces.

In any case, I'll drink to GW alienating more and more of their consumer base. Here's to their hearty bankruptcy and their buyout by the Hasbro/Avalon Hill/WOTC consortium.

Ass Goblin
14-06-2005, 02:31
At the moment the current Tac Squad in Oz is $50 dollars. If it goes up one more dollar I will give up GW games.

Commissar von Toussaint
14-06-2005, 02:33
Today I stumbled on a copy of the 1999 GW compendium. It makes an interesting comparison to the new revised prices.

Tactical squad in 1999: $22.99
Tactical squad in 2005: $35

Folks will be interested to know that paint in 1999 came in larger bottles and cost $1.99, as opposed to $3.

I haven't bought anything "over the counter" from GW for quite a while. The last stuff was LOTR. It's been years since my 40k armies got any new stuff.

It really is quite amazing how much they've raised prices.

blitz589
14-06-2005, 02:34
Tyranids cost more to, but i uasully buy from local hobby stores thta offer 20% off on GW products. And if they can give 20% off and still make a profit, imagine how much GW makes.

Eversor
14-06-2005, 02:39
This should be in the "Other GW discussion" I believe. And it's nothing we haven't heard before. It's been the same complaints/defences over GW prices and over since the Internet went mainstream. And the company is still around and quite healty.

b4d0m3n
14-06-2005, 02:45
So how is it looking for Oz? Because even with the price increase, US35 is AUD45 and we are paying AUD50 for these things. Another increase on the boxes here in Oz will put me out of collecting. Oh, well.

x-esiv-4c
14-06-2005, 02:46
Eh, just have to bouce up the Ebay hunt!

Alpharius
14-06-2005, 02:47
Shesh!

Who launched an Eversor at this discussion? At worst it warrants a low level Ecclesiarch for some Saturday afternoon "refresher" courses!

He wasn't briefed too well either, as this is about a price "Adjustment", not an "Increase".

But, to be fair, we've all been warned about this in the "rumor" section, and he's right, it should be in the "Other GW Discussion" section...

In fact, it is already there!

Eversor
14-06-2005, 02:53
He wasn't briefed too well either, as this is about a price "Adjustment", not an "Increase".
Sorry, but the first sentance of the thread had the word "raised" in it, so I kinda fired from the hip ;)

Nevertheless, the issue has been debated since the dawn of time, and the discussions rarely turn out useful...

Commissar von Toussaint
14-06-2005, 03:26
It is interesting to note the rate of increase, though.

Reading through the old price guide it's pretty amazing how much prices have gone up.

A dollar one year, a dollar the next and we shrug. We have the same arguments and say pretty much the same things.

But when you actually realize how steep the price hikes have been...I have to admit I didn't really how bad it really was.

We're in a situation where models have gone from $2 each to $6 each - and they're the same damn models!

We can talk about quality, materials, marketing and such but that's a really drastic increase.

I think that GW is really in serious financial trouble. I know they make tons of money and their bottom line seems pretty solid, but when you look at how much they have padded their profit margin, they should be rolling in cash. Instead, they're pretty flat of late.

It seems to me that the newest increases are an effort to bail out the sinking ship. I don't think they will work.

Alpharius
14-06-2005, 03:35
Sorry, but the first sentance of the thread had the word "raised" in it, so I kinda fired from the hip ;)

Nevertheless, the issue has been debated since the dawn of time, and the discussions rarely turn out useful...

Eversor my friend!

I was joking!

And you're right, these conversations always end the same... But, it isn't surprising that they're happening, as this is a bit over the top, even for GW!

x-esiv-4c
14-06-2005, 04:18
"We're in a situation where models have gone from $2 each to $6 each - and they're the same damn models!"

I was thinking the same thing Commissar.

Grand Warlord
14-06-2005, 04:21
Id complain... but im still gonna buy it lol... jus glad i got my empire done before this...

Brimstone
14-06-2005, 06:08
OK this isn't 40K specific so it would have got a all expenses paid trip to other GW discussions.

However there is already a thread there on the subject so this one gets closed instead.

You want to discuss this, then try here. (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4061)