PDA

View Full Version : Whquest.com - Beyond The Grey Mountains - New and Very Well Done

Richard
15-02-2015, 07:29
Hi if this is old news sorry but just found new website http://whquest.com/ and its brilliantly done keeping to the original game. lots of quest downloads and ideas also a podcast well done for a trial run. have a look.

Shas'El Tael
16-02-2015, 01:58
Wonderfully put together certainly, solid tile pieces too from GW artwork. The site clearly has access to capable artist(s), gorgeous work throughout the website - I should be so excited and enthusiastic, charge in like a Dwarf Slayer to add to the content, just a bit frustrated for the moment sadly.

I see the use of my Amazonian board sections to create a free tile piece. I'm actually a bit upset about that, as I expressly state the artwork is wholly original and cannot be hosted anywhere. Anything GW related on my own site is free to download and I hold no claim to it.

At any point GW can come down on all of us who have modified and remixed their dungeon cards, that's their prerogative. I can exercise my right whenever also.

I appreciate the credit, but my copyright request is pasted on every page of that downloadable PDF for the artwork not to be hosted elsewhere. I have multiple free tiles the site could have used in its stead.

EDIT: Just want to add I admire the effort, design and enormous undertaking of the WHQuest team. The site is everything I could get behind, however the surprise of all this marred it for me personally. The art is out there I guess, so enjoy it - Please support and enjoy this burgeoning community page.

talion
16-02-2015, 07:33
@Shas'El Tael - I saw this and the fact they credited you, presumed that they had sought your permission......you should say something to them.

I tend to keep an eye on new WHQ sites, just to see if they take my tiles and start publishing them as their own (mine do tend to have a lot less unique artwork than yours)......I've seen one tiles by another big WHQ site that is pretty much one of mine re-coloured and then stated as their own and even sold.....I've let it slide, but watching any new ones they create.

Shas'El Tael
16-02-2015, 08:04
Hi Talion :)

They're launching a new site, and with energy Warhammer Quest needs for exciting new adventures. I can understand enthusiasm likely erred. I should have messaged beforehand, but the cat is out of the bag with several hundred downloads(!) which to be fair, is a great result for their efforts, despite the tile error.

If any of the gang there read this, please do distribute the tiles I've made from GW art or the freebies (like your own excellent art), except obviously the Amazon set art. Looking forward to seeing your additions over time.

Reading back, mostly I got cut holding a beautiful rose and I snarled. WHQuest is a great, modern tribute website and expansion to our favourite game. Please, enjoy their offering, I just got an unwelcome surprise. I'll message them and mention my grumbles like an old badger, but the tile artwork should remain, whats done is done and likely for positive reasons. Its in the wild and folks should just enjoy.

- Seb.

Modhail
16-02-2015, 20:36
It's a very attractive site indeed. Great to see so much effort being put in a 20 year old "abandoned" game. (With some luck with such expressions of sustained interest/love we can make the new GW CEO sit up and take notice?)
I have to agree with Tael, a shame about the marring of the first impression, but it's a wonderful site and we should be willing to look past that.

talion
16-02-2015, 20:54
Hi Talion :)

They're launching a new site, and with energy Warhammer Quest needs for exciting new adventures. I can understand enthusiasm likely erred. I should have messaged beforehand, but the cat is out of the bag with several hundred downloads(!) which to be fair, is a great result for their efforts, despite the tile error.

If any of the gang there read this, please do distribute the tiles I've made from GW art or the freebies (like your own excellent art), except obviously the Amazon set art. Looking forward to seeing your additions over time.

Reading back, mostly I got cut holding a beautiful rose and I snarled. WHQuest is a great, modern tribute website and expansion to our favourite game. Please, enjoy their offering, I just got an unwelcome surprise. I'll message them and mention my grumbles like an old badger, but the tile artwork should remain, whats done is done and likely for positive reasons. Its in the wild and folks should just enjoy.

- Seb.

Wasn't suggesting burning the site down. Just to voice your concern.

I do think that if anything is taken when the original owner expresses it shouldn't then a quiet word can't harm otherwise who knows where it will end.

It's not being an old grumbly badger.

The fact they credited you at least shows their aim is not to take others work and credit it as their own. Just an oversight I'm sure.

I'm glad someone else is creating stuff can't have too much WHQ........I don't know about you, but for a while I felt under pressure to create new items. :)

Shas'El Tael
16-02-2015, 21:32
I think GW has noted @Modhail, the Warhammer Quest iOS game for one example - cheaper way to go about it without carving out a whole new plastic set :)

Wasn't suggesting burning the site down. Just to voice your concern.
Yeah I sensed that my man, flat text fails to carry inflection as usual ;)

The fact they credited you at least shows their aim is not to take others work and credit it as their own. Just an oversight I'm sure.
Agreed.

I'm glad someone else is creating stuff can't have too much WHQ........I don't know about you, but for a while I felt under pressure to create new items.
OMG, I know right? I felt I was letting the side down not putting out new tiles; there I was, halfway across the Atlantic ocean in a 50ft catamaran, helming in amazing breeze and flat seas, and what do I think.. 'jeez, its been a couple months since I posted something Quest related, maybe I should work on some tile soonish..':D

But I guess that's what drives folks like WHQuest, yourself and pretty much everyone on this sub-forum - we all like putting something in to keep it going because it is, a terribly fun game.

Modhail
17-02-2015, 21:18
I think GW has noted @Modhail, the Warhammer Quest iOS game for one example - cheaper way to go about it without carving out a whole new plastic set :)
Eh, that's like giving a breath mint to a starving man... I can't paint or convert a bunch of electrons, man! ;)

But I guess that's what drives folks like WHQuest, yourself and pretty much everyone on this sub-forum - we all like putting something in to keep it going because it is, a terribly fun game.
And thank you for having done, and continuing to do, so! All of you. Seeing where everyone takes their own vision of WHQ, wether it is via miniatures, terrain, storytelling or tile and card design, is inspirational. And it all feeds into a communal pool of energy and enthusiasm that keeps us all going.

Shas'El Tael
18-02-2015, 00:28
Eh, that's like giving a breath mint to a starving man... I can't paint or convert a bunch of electrons, man!
So very true. I'd rather have had a few new heroes to convert up. ;)