PDA

View Full Version : Summer campaign

x-esiv-4c
14-06-2005, 03:09
Hello,
Am I to assume that 40k will get no summer campaign this year over? Wasn't there going to be some kind of historical thing going on?

Thanks!

Strikerkc
14-06-2005, 03:14
Hello,
Am I to assume that 40k will get no summer campaign this year over? Wasn't there going to be some kind of historical thing going on?

Thanks!

Only thing going on is by Forge world.

They're theeming their most recent 40K models around a historical conflict concerning the Talaran's, Raptors Space Marine chapter, Tau, and I belive Orks.

No official EOT or Storm Of Chaos style campaign though.

x-esiv-4c
14-06-2005, 03:15
I guess a lot of us were hoping to see some fluff progression from the EoT. Nonetheless, yeah I forgot about the whole Taros thing.

Strikerkc
14-06-2005, 04:26
I guess a lot of us were hoping to see some fluff progression from the EoT.

Hehehe, progressing the 40K story line... your funny :p .

x-esiv-4c
14-06-2005, 04:30
Hehehe, progressing the 40K story line... your funny :p .

Yeah I feel like a bit of an ass now. It just sucks that we've been left on the edge of our seats at the end of the EoT.

MidnightResistance
14-06-2005, 09:14
I'm also disappointed at the lack of a summer campaign. Now would be the perfect time to have a bid anti-Nid campaign.

sigur
14-06-2005, 11:23
Let's hope we'll never see a "storyline progression". It would just mess up the fluff in my opinion.

philbrad2
14-06-2005, 11:32
Isn't UK (sorry don't know about the rest of the world) getting the Ichar IV mini campaign with Nids over the summer to support the Nid releases. Considering its June the 'blurb' on this has been remarkably low key, probably waiting for the UK summer school hols.

:chrome:

Gaebriel
14-06-2005, 12:31
We seem to get a Niddy summer campaign over here, but it's not Eye of terror-style, so no central registering, just a few happenings in the stores, I think.

It's drowned in the Fantasy and Lord of the rings-campaigns, I'm afraid...

Badgobbla
14-06-2005, 12:36
I was under the impression that GW would be alternating a fantasy and a 40K-campaign every two years?

MidnightResistance
14-06-2005, 12:37
Maybe we should start up our own WarSeer summer campaign?

Rabid Bunny 666
14-06-2005, 12:42
wouldn't work IMHO

thought it was the 'nids campaign this year (not major) and lustria then rise of nagash next year

MidnightResistance
14-06-2005, 14:32
Rise of Nagash (if true) would drag me back into playing whfb

x-esiv-4c
14-06-2005, 14:37
I would really want to see some Fluff progression. The open-endedness of it is really pissing me off. I mean...Cypher, the Dragon.....Tau Expansionalism, new eldar craft-world. These are things, in my opinion should be addressed so that more fluff can be brought in. Re-writing history ( how 1984 ) usually turns out bad. I mean, look how the Tau were "injected" into the fluff...

Karhedron
14-06-2005, 15:00
I was under the impression that GW would be alternating a fantasy and a 40K-campaign every two years?
The Studio decided that running mega campaigns took up too much resources to run on a regular basis. 4th edition is here now and more resources are being focused on the new codices.

In Fantasy there is the Lustria-themed historical campaign. To be honest this is less like EoT/SoC and more like Cityfight as it details different ways to play rather than a storyline as such.

salty
14-06-2005, 15:01
I thought the central campaign this year was the whole Lord of the Rings War of the Ring campaign?

Salty :)

Strikerkc
14-06-2005, 16:11
....Tau Expansionalism...

Hehe. Tau Recesionism if I recall. One day the Tau had been taken down to 73% or so of their original empire, yet mysteriously had been brought back up to 128% or so the next morning :p:rolleyes:.

Any ways, actualy advancing the 40K story is a bad idea, all that's possibly left is an end game scenario, some one would have to come out on top. I'm fine with GW going back and simply rehashing and expanding on the historical campaigns and settings. I'd much rather learn more about a 4th or 5th black crusade than a 14th ;).

x-esiv-4c
14-06-2005, 16:13
End-game scenario? I doubt it very much. Continuing the fluff leads to creating / finding of new races instead of just injecting them into the current fluff. Fluff continuation keeps the background interesting.

Some guy (UK)
14-06-2005, 16:21
My local indepent end store (the store i always go to first- the guys there are really great) is running a campaign in the summer holiidays involving the nids. Real looking forward to it.

sigur
14-06-2005, 16:24
I would really want to see some Fluff progression. The open-endedness of it is really pissing me off. I mean...Cypher, the Dragon.....Tau Expansionalism, new eldar craft-world. These are things, in my opinion should be addressed so that more fluff can be brought in. Re-writing history ( how 1984 ) usually turns out bad. I mean, look how the Tau were "injected" into the fluff...

As I see it, the 40k fluff is a solid "theatre" for the game. Open ends are great and needed, nothing is worse than explanations for everything. It's like with movies: Open ends are better in many cases; especially at Hollywood movies where the ends mostly get messed up. But I'm going off-topic here. ;)

No fluff progression for me, it would just simple down everything too I'm afraid.

Oliver
14-06-2005, 16:38
I thought they were doing campagins for there core system alternating every three years. Last year was SoC year before was EoT this year is the War of the Ring so lets see 2003-40k 2004-Fantasy 2005-LOTR so in 2006 it will be a 40k campagain.

Sai-Lauren
14-06-2005, 16:38
I thought the central campaign this year was the whole Lord of the Rings War of the Ring campaign?

Salty :)
Theoretically (blink and you'd miss any information on it), although I think it's being done by the people in charge of the retail part of GW, with no input from the studio. They did Lustria, which seems more like the old Warhammer campaign boxes (2 army lists to choose things from for 4 or 5 scenarios, and some cardboard buildings/scenery).

Forge World are doing Imperial Armour 3 to cover the Taros Campaign. I think this is more of a historical campaign book (as in Warwick Kinrade writes some cool stuff down), rather than something they're actually going to have games for.

MidnightResistance
14-06-2005, 16:40
the 'end game' is what the eldar call the Rhana Dandra, the space wolves call Ragnarok and the Orks call 'Da Big Ruck'

suffice to say it's a huge war against Chaos (or it was back in 2nd ed) where everyone kills everyone and only a race or two get to survive.
Which would really screw up any fluff future if that event did actually take place.

Sai-Lauren
14-06-2005, 16:46
the 'end game' is what the eldar call the Rhana Dandra, the space wolves call Ragnarok and the Orks call 'Da Big Ruck'

suffice to say it's a huge war against Chaos (or it was back in 2nd ed) where everyone kills everyone and only a race or two get to survive.
Which would really screw up any fluff future if that event did actually take place.
The puppies call it The Wolf Time, whilst the Orks call it Ragna-ork.

Basically, it's the final conflict in the 40k universe, armageddon, doomsday, the apocalypse, whatever you wish to call it.

The last one standing probably won't even have the strength to turn off the lights, let alone lock the door on their way out.

It's very unlikely that GW will ever get to that one. :p

x-esiv-4c
14-06-2005, 17:54
Who knows maybe 5th edition has just one stat-line in it for someone called: "The lucky bastard that got away when the warp imploded" Then the game devolves into a highly violent version of snakes and ladders.

Karhedron
14-06-2005, 18:24
The last one standing probably won't even have the strength to turn off the lights, let alone lock the door on their way out.
If you want an idea of what the Universe would look like then try reading the novel Stormbringer by Michael Moorcock (better still, read the rest of the Elric saga first).

Games workshop based most of Warhammer on Moorcock's works, especially the concepts of Chaos (right down to the 8-pointed star). Stormbringer is the story of the final battle between Law and Chaos.

x-esiv-4c
14-06-2005, 18:29
I like the way GW did the EoT. The EoT kept us updated almost like a news broadcasting. I don't know how much effort was needed to do this campaign ( I know a lot...). But everyone enjoyed it a whole lot. Did GW loose money over it or something?

Insane Psychopath
14-06-2005, 18:38
As said no big thing for 40k. I am really p*** of with this, it just we had the WFB one last year, yet they get another one & Lord of the Ring get one, but we get nothing really.

Well hopeful next year better be worth it big time.

It just I find it unfair WFB get 2 campinge while 40k get none over the past 2 years :mad:

chaospig
14-06-2005, 22:36
ive heard that there is a campaign next summer for 40k from some store employees

Badgobbla
15-06-2005, 10:42
The Studio decided that running mega campaigns took up too much resources to run on a regular basis. 4th edition is here now and more resources are being focused on the new codices.

In Fantasy there is the Lustria-themed historical campaign. To be honest this is less like EoT/SoC and more like Cityfight as it details different ways to play rather than a storyline as such.

Yep, I thought that too, but the 'Conquest of the New World' seems to be expanding to some epic proportions again, no?

Karhedron
15-06-2005, 11:57
It just I find it unfair WFB get 2 campinge while 40k get none over the past 2 years :mad:
I dunno but I am "campaigned out". The Campaigns generate a lot of fuss but the amount of new minis released for them tend to be small and interest quickly wanes after it is over. Plus we know that they cannot seriously advance the fluff without changing the nature of the game.

I would rather they focus on getting the new codices out for 40K before we have another campaign. Orks and Eldar are crying out for a revamp and I am sure the variant chapters will get their own as well. Once these 6 or 7 codices have been done (probably 2-3 years time) then maybe another campaign would be interesting but I think they have just done too many campaigns lately.

The only Campaign that really had a genuine outcome was the Dark Shadows one as the winning races got some new magic items.

x-esiv-4c
15-06-2005, 12:40
Does it really take so long for the codexes to be released? Obviously ork and eldar are in dire need for a fix, but waiting till...when...2006 sometime? WoTC was firing out those prestigue class books one after another!

Long_Fang
15-06-2005, 14:05
Personally, I'd like some story line advancing. It's just always a stalemate between all the races. Bring out a codex that covers all the races and gives them all some wargear. There are enough sub-races, they have trouble revamping the big ones as it stands.

Oliver
15-06-2005, 14:12
i think everybody would like the story to advance but they can't with out changing the fluff same as the lame excuse they had for a new army cant rember which one but all of a sudden they were there its just GW had "forgot" to tell us.

x-esiv-4c
15-06-2005, 14:37
Sub-races like Xenarch, Scythians, Gceleieksk ( Sp...I know it starts with a G ) Hrud etc etc there are loads of sub races in 40k that would really add flavor.

hood_oz
16-06-2005, 00:11
Sub-races like Xenarch, Scythians, Gceleieksk ( Sp...I know it starts with a G ) Hrud etc etc there are loads of sub races in 40k that would really add flavor.

Or tarellians, clawed fiends, demiurg, or any number of others that have had mention.

All of which if simply added as a small allied contingent to tau, or to Xenos Inquisitors would add to the flavour of the game. Or a mercenary list could be fun, to test the waters of all the possible races they want to add. All led by a privateer or similar would make for an interesting army. There would be a lot of players willing to invest in that, I know more than a few looking for a few new things to paint and game with.

Black Mage
16-06-2005, 06:17
I don't know about the need to advance the fluff, I'd be more comfortable about fleshing out the world. To me fluff is fluff, and it's all good. It's kinda neat to read about the deeds of your favourite Space Marine Heroes, and there must be many, or what about the lowliest debasement of the Dark Eldar Kabals. There' so much possiblity without the need to push the timeline forward.

inquisitorautry
17-06-2005, 02:11
The thing about the 40k timeline is that there is a lot of crap that happens in the galaxy that goes 'unreported' to the galaxy at large. The Galaxy is a big place, there's a lot of room for GW to go back and have mini campaigns fought in various sectors. Not along the lines of the EoT, but more in line with Armagedeon.

That being said there will probably be another world-wide campaign when GW runs out of codecies to revise and they need a 40k release to pay the bills.

kanluwen
03-07-2005, 18:06
As said no big thing for 40k. I am really p*** of with this, it just we had the WFB one last year, yet they get another one & Lord of the Ring get one, but we get nothing really.

Well hopeful next year better be worth it big time.

Lustria isn't global. From what I recall of the site(Correct me if I'm wrong), it's all ideas on how to run the stuff. Speaking from firsthand knowledge of running Lustria stuff for my local store: We're getting barely any support from GW for running it. Usually they send out ideas for the campaigns, or specific games to be run, or even send in terrain from the central offices. All we've gotten is a copy of the Lustria book for free for me to run stuff from, and the campaign package(which was released 2 weeks later in White Dwarf...)

warlordgrubnatz
03-07-2005, 18:24
it the battle for ichar iv, thats the summer campain iirc

Kensai X
08-07-2005, 08:58
Yes and didn't Canada get the Rise of the Swarm Campaign Recently?

Cheitan Shadowless
08-07-2005, 23:33
Regarding fluff progress, story line advancing etc...I'd really like to see some, but not anything that affects any of the established armies. In other words, no Iron Hands turning Necron or anysuch wack. Give the Imperium and the Eldar a few decisive victories for once, changing the setting from "fighting to delay extermination" to "fighting for survival". A stalemate that can both improve and deteriorate is twice as interesting as a stalemate that can only deteriorate. :eyebrows:

And as has already been mentioned, Cypher really needs to play some sort of role and see some action; the fluff potential for this guy is being wasted so bad. :(

The most extreme things I could see happening in a future edition would be such things as the return of some of the Primarches, or possibly even the (in)famous Starchild awakening - Emperor revived, anyone? :p

Bmaxwell
08-07-2005, 23:39
I wish stuff like that would happen.

At least wirte BL novel about it would be good enough for me

PhrollikK
13-09-2005, 13:20
I remember GW stated once in WD that the "Summer Campaigns" wouldn't be happening regularly, that Armageddon and EoT were one-offs. They probably will have a new campaign next year, or the year after so don't fret. And if it's any consolation, the market-boyz at GW will make it happen whether the studio wants it or not (great publicity).

As for the next campaign, I', willing to bet my left butt-cheek on it being fought between Necrons (Deathmongers) and Tyranids (epitome of life). Doesn't it seem fairly coincidental that the Galaxy is about to be devoured by the Great Devourer, and at the same time the Necrons are awakening from their slumber... Could it be that the biggest prize ever is landing at the Necrons doorstep, to kill the one true thing that is alive, ie. the galaxy spanning tyranid host?

firestorm40k
13-09-2005, 15:00
Hello, having read through this thread, I've posted my suggestions for a big 40k Campaign involving Necrons/Ad Mech/C'tan, here:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11395

Thanks for looking! :)