PDA

View Full Version : Age of Sigmar: Warriors of Chaos Tactica

Madcapmushroom
05-07-2015, 23:01
Hi Warseers,

Firstly and most importantly allow me to say that this is not a thread for complaining or talking about our feelings towards Age of Sigmar. Regardless of how i feel about the new game, what i am aiming to do here is start looking at the Warriors of Chaos and seeing what units compliment each other and discussing how we can formulate these into loose tactics that we can employ in our games.

It will give Warriors of Chaos players a chance report their findings from the battlefield and collectively we can share our information and tactics as we as we attempt to sail these uncharted waters.

To give you an idea of how my gaming club will be play-testing these new rules is:

We are creating 1250point lists using the old Army Books, then we are fielding their corresponding warscrolls on the table. One of my units is from the old army book is a unit of 25 Marauders, full command and flails.

For the AoS this will be : Marauders of Chaos Warscroll
(25, with Damned icon, Drummer, Barbarian Flails, Darkwood shield)

I am not suggesting that this is what people have to do, just giving you and indication of how we are attempting so find a slight balance so we can focus on the rules and tactics and not be too worried regarding imbalance.

Anyway, enough of that, we are not here to discuss balance issues we are here to perfect the savage warmongering that is the Warriors of Chaos.

Happy slaughtering,

MADCAP

Madcapmushroom
05-07-2015, 23:03
Slave To Darkness

OK, so the first thing i want to look at is the Slave To Darkness rule. This Keyword is on almost all of our units, minus some Heroes and Daemon stuff. This is a kinda big one. Bravery isn't too bad across the Warrior of Chaos army, but its far from brilliant either. However Taking an Exalted Hero with battle Standard Warscroll and using his” plant the standard of the dark gods” ability allows you to add 2 to the bravery of all Slaves to darkness models within 20”. Alternatively you can use it to Reroll charge dice for all Slave to darkness models within 20”.

Slave to darkness models can also be Summoned in-game by a Chaos Lord Warscroll, i have yet to figure how to balance this...

For my first game, (scheduled for next week) I will be taking an Exalted Hero with battle Standard Warscroll and Marauders of Chaos Warscroll 25 strong with Marauder Flails and a Tribal banner. Tribal banner gives +1 Bravery which when combined with the Army Standard can bring them to Bravery 8 when the going gets tough.

These are going to be my “run in and hack” unit, until i can maneuver my Knights and Skullcrushers into position.

Thats it for tonight, ill post more as i go along, let us know if you have played any games yet and what you have discovered.

Happy butchering,

MADCAP

Neckutter
06-07-2015, 01:05
Khorne seems to be the weakest of the chaos factions, since they don't get anything overly good.

Nurgle seem good with more wounds on certain characters.

Slaanesh daemon princes I read could run and then still charge? That is crazy

gwarsh41
06-07-2015, 13:40
For Daemons, beasts of nurgle also have the run and charge rule. They are just that excited to see you!

the vampire Lestat
07-07-2015, 12:26
Slave To Darkness

Slave to darkness models can also be Summoned in-game by a Chaos Lord Warscroll, i have yet to figure how to balance this...

MADCAP

Looking at Summoning it seems like a double edged sword, since although the units don't count towards you army count, they do count towards your casualty count. So you could theoretically suffer more than 100% percent casualties and still have models remaining on the board.

Vladyhell
09-07-2015, 16:44
Looking at Summoning it seems like a double edged sword, since although the units don't count towards you army count, they do count towards your casualty count. So you could theoretically suffer more than 100% percent casualties and still have models remaining on the board.

Been thinking of the summoning and if you play 6 turns then it seems this does become a self balancing mechanic and opens up a lot of new tactics and stratergy.

Neckutter
23-07-2015, 07:31
So, really doing a deep dive into the mortals list, this army doesn't have many synergies/good synergies.

Tzeentch warshrines, and tzeentch mortals seem to be the best with re rolling all saves, if you're solely focused on having an army from the same compendium.

Nurgle mortals might be good if mixed with Epidemius, because things tend to die fast in AoS

Gratan
23-07-2015, 07:44
I noticed with Marauder units.

"Models in this unit may be Icon Bearers.
Icon Bearers bear either a Damned Icon or
a Tribal Banner."

Since you can have multiple Icon Bearers, you can have one each with a Damned Icon, another with a Tribal Banner. Multiples of the same Icon/Banner don't stack, but at least you can have both. Pretty cool. I just need to make a few Marauders with Banners now as I already had Damned Icons.

RainSong
23-07-2015, 21:38
Shame there doesn't seem to be much synergy I can see between Daemons and Mortals with the same marks... Mortal wizards can summon daemons of the same mark but that's about all.

One fun strategy could be using Morghur, a Mutalith and Tzeentch Sorceror Lord to try to get Spawn appearing all over the place. You could create 10 in one turn if you got lucky :)

Gratan
24-07-2015, 02:37
Shame there doesn't seem to be much synergy I can see between Daemons and Mortals with the same marks... Mortal wizards can summon daemons of the same mark but that's about all.

One fun strategy could be using Morghur, a Mutalith and Tzeentch Sorceror Lord to try to get Spawn appearing all over the place. You could create 10 in one turn if you got lucky :)

Reread the Bolt of Change spell. You aren't generating 1-3 spawns. Roll a dice for each Mortal Wound. IF any of those dice are a 4+, then you get a spawn. Not a spawn per 4+.

So, with your combo, you would only get 8 spawns if you are really lucky.

Chaosknight
28-07-2015, 12:29
A chaos sorcerer lords daemonic power spell cast on a daemon prince of khorne makes for a lethal combination. The daemon requires only 2+ to hit with a hellforged sword and 3+ with his malefic talons, both wounding on 3+. The spell allows him to reroll to hit, wound and save rolls of 1. Considering he does multiple damage with all of his attacks this can really stack up the casualties. I tend to use him as a battering ram with his move of 12" to charge in as soon as possible in the game, with support units running in along behind him. Against 1 wound infantry battleshock alone can have quite an impact. Cast mystic shield on him if you have a second caster for a 3+ save rerolling 1s. Generally it's a good idea to leave him 0.5 inch away from the enemy and try to attack a stray model on a flank or one that's standing slightly away from the main body of a unit to minimise the effect of enemy piling in and attacking back.

WarsmithGarathor94
07-08-2015, 19:29
Having found some chaos warriors and a lord I'm looking at working on a Nurgle army. Now onto things.
I'm wanting to use units of warriors knights and possibly marauders. Anyone got any suggestions of what unit size to go for?

Sent from my GT-I8200N using Tapatalk

Spiney Norman
07-08-2015, 21:13
Push towards the elite end of the spectrum where possible, chaos warriors is a pretty easy army to do this with. The instant death rule means you want the most effective army possible whilst having as few models as you can get away with. Again nurgle is especially great at this, Glottkin, the maggoth lords are excellent heavy-hitting heroes, then you have blight kings and chaos Knights are really excellent high quality elites. Personally I'd stay away from too many marauders as they compromise the eliteness of your force, but a couple of small units to use as chaff/speed bumps would probably be ok if you like the models.

Don't forget to bring as many wizards as you can to benefit from chaos summoning, being able to bring on nurgle daemons once the game has started can really alter the course of the game.

Captain Marius
11-08-2015, 19:07
My group does games based on wounds to balance things ouf a bit. After getting my general shot out for leading from the front im learning the value of sending marauders/daemons in first to soften up the enemy, with hounds/knights/chariots going after artillery/missile troops before the boss and his block of warriors get stuck in to deal the finishing blow. I like how this plays and cant wait to try bigger games we can fight over multiple battlelines - our smaller games have tended towards only two or three major engagements.

Tommy2dice
20-09-2015, 21:20
I have found a good tactic with using hounds to block and encircling powerfull units. E.g uae 10 hounds and form a ring around a unit of ironguts but keeping more than 3 inches away. The ogre player then has to waste a turn killing the hounds to break out letting your knights line them up for a charge.