PDA

View Full Version : Just how stupid do the new Sigmarines look to you?

Pages : 1 [2]

Abaraxas
15-09-2015, 10:57
Thing is that even as an 11 year old boy this stuff (or the fluff) wouldn't appeal to me...at that age (back in the last months of Rogue Trader) the "adult" Warhammer universes were one of the aspects that really captivated me.
I think I've already chipped in, but I think the Sigmarites look incredibly stupid.

vlad78
15-09-2015, 14:50
Nope! You forgot Griffondog!

Don't say anything bad about griffindog, that's the only thing I like concerning AOS. A griffin puppy, it's so cute.

sephiroth87
15-09-2015, 16:40
I don't think they look really stupid. I think shoehorning them in while at the same time of 8th edition getting canned, makes them look worse to a lot of people. I think they had an ok idea (an army of superhuman heroes in fantasy) that could have worked well. However, the army lacks variety and it's uninspiring to gamers used to wildly different styles of units and big centerpiece models in fantasy armies. What I wanted was a lot of variety. What I got was one pose models with the exact same face throughout (I get that they're masks, but you know what I mean). The biggest difference between units is that one carries hammers and another carries swords. At least space marines break up the bland with their vehicles. There's nothing that screams to me as a centerpiece other than the fat guy with wings. And as GW now purports to be a model company rather than a game company, I do not think it speaks well of their model making when the best they can give is a choice of "gold guy with sword" or "gold guy with hammer."

As a comparison, you can look at almost any other individual WHFB army and see some variety in the styles of infantry, cavalry, war machines, monsters, and other stuff.

They could have had cavalry, a big dragon riding guy, a unit of guys with the drake dogs, or almost anything else to break up the monotony of the army. Aesthetically, they did not knock this army out of the park.

Lordmonkey
15-09-2015, 19:03
I know right? It's like these people have a different preference for things. It's ludicrous! It's like people who enjoy a type of pizza, car or painting.

Lately my posts have lacked to put across what i'm trying to say. This is what I get for typing on a phone :p

Personally I can't get excited about any model or army without some kind of context to put it in. The AoS box contained two factions that were both basically red bad vs blue good guys in armour. Boring.

I've lived and breathed WFB for 17 years, and before that, the Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone fighting fantasy books for about 5. Both of those created whole worlds of depth that got my imagination into overdrive. This is something i'm very used to seeing, but just isn't being achieved here, and I believe the reason for this is the total lack of variety. I'm not confused by the amount of stormcast/khorne i'm just baffled by the absence of any other race, faction, or even a world with a decent amount of lore and background in it to put them in and say "wow these guys are cool".

ScruffMan
16-09-2015, 13:26
This is what I was wondering about the army books. So far the books have been mostly story telling with a bit of lore thrown in. This is fine as far as it goes but I think many are feeling a bit burnt out by all the tales of martial awesomeness. It really needs to be seperated with more real lore, of which there is some of course but I'd like a good deal more.

Khastarax
17-09-2015, 15:06
Did anyone see any conversions where the helmets have been changed for appropriate heads? That might give a whole different look to the models

(shave off some hammers and details, a different paint job (like the great one a couple of posts back) and you might be good to go...)

Mrnon
18-09-2015, 03:16
Haven't read the rules for warhammer since the early 90's so can't comment on the new rules. As models go I like some of the hammer wielding freaks as I'm converting them into tech/forge father characters for my knight house army. Think the ones I acquired were called retributors, but after a bit of knife work and green stuff, and as khastrax says above, change of helmet they work for me.

Holier Than Thou
18-09-2015, 09:03
Haven't read the rules for warhammer since the early 90's so can't comment on the new rules. As models go I like some of the hammer wielding freaks as I'm converting them into tech/forge father characters for my knight house army. Think the ones I acquired were called retributors, but after a bit of knife work and green stuff, and as khastrax says above, change of helmet they work for me.

Pictures please.

Dutch_Digger
18-09-2015, 09:43
Even though im not a fan of the sigmarines, i do like how the models now have more display-space with the loose formation. The previous chaos warriors did not have alot of room to wiggle and ended up in a formation-pose. The new ones are all dancing around happy they have the room to fight.

skeptico
18-09-2015, 09:57
Warhammer fans have been wish listing 'Angels of Order' or similar for donkey's years now. Especially on Warseer. And now they are here, well executed, to technical standards no other miniature company can match, obviously Warseer hates them. Oh well, that's the internet...

Zywus
18-09-2015, 10:36
Warhammer fans have been wish listing 'Angels of Order' or similar for donkey's years now. Especially on Warseer. And now they are here, well executed, to technical standards no other miniature company can match, obviously Warseer hates them. Oh well, that's the internet...
When did that meeting take place where we Warseer members unanimously agreed to campaign for an 'Angels of Order' faction? And similarly, when did we have the later meeting where we unanimously decided to hate them?

I really need to mark those Warseer hivemind meetings down better in my calendar.

duffybear1988
18-09-2015, 10:55
Yeah I don't remember the people crying out for angels. I remember cries of Kislev, Araby, Nippon, Squats etc but not Angels of Order.

Spiney Norman
18-09-2015, 10:59
Yeah I don't remember the people crying out for angels. I remember cries of Kislev, Araby, Nippon, Squats etc but not Angels of Order.

And let's not forget the fishmen, they practically have a cult dedicated to them ;)

duffybear1988
18-09-2015, 11:01
And let's not forget the fishmen, they practically have a cult dedicated to them ;)

Ha I remember when that rumour first appeared and I was all over it. I still think fishmen would sell like hot(fish)cakes.

Drakkar du Chaos
18-09-2015, 11:07

That was a good one.

duffybear1988
18-09-2015, 11:21
That was a good one.

Yeah these days GW isn't anywhere near the only company offering excellent minis. My latest Anvil Industry figures are stunning and make GW's Imperial Guard look like chimps with guns.

Spiney Norman
18-09-2015, 11:48
In fairness the Sigmarine models don't look dreadful, I just don't like the concept. GW definitely know their stuff when it comes to designing and making models, it's fluff and rules they're terrible at.

ewar
18-09-2015, 12:08
Which is a bit ironic as they used to make fun games set in rich, lovingly created worlds with fairly average, sensibly priced minis.

The stuff literally flew off the shelves :)

Aezeal
18-09-2015, 12:14
In fairness the Sigmarine models don't look dreadful, I just don't like the concept. GW definitely know their stuff when it comes to designing and making models, it's fluff and rules they're terrible at.

I think GW fluff is miles ahead of the competitors really.

ewar
18-09-2015, 12:23

Which competitors?

In the past I would have agreed with you 100%. But this new magic realm BS is beyond crap. Are they planets? Planes? Where do people live? What do people eat? When the Goretide aren't running around in their underwear shout RAAAAH are they dabbling in a bit of a bakery action? The whole thing is 2mm deep, there is nothing below the surface. It's a bit like the silliness towards the end of the end times, when 10 billion chaos warriors come out of the north. Oh really, what were they living on up there, slush puppies? If there were so many why didn't they take over the world 1000 years ago, as it looked like it was pretty easy in the end.

I just despise this kind of setting, where the bar for willing suspension of disbelief is set so ludicrously high as to be meaningless. There are no normal people, anywhere; it's dumb.

Drakkar du Chaos
18-09-2015, 12:34
Yeah these days GW isn't anywhere near the only company offering excellent minis. My latest Anvil Industry figures are stunning and make GW's Imperial Guard look like chimps with guns.

I dont have 40K so i dont know much about Anvil Industry and such but, for fantasy, because i play WoC and in some time Dwarfs, i can think about Avatar of War, Mierce, TitanForge and Scibor. They usually produce better fantasy miniatures than GW. Especially Dwarves, the only best dwarf model on the market from GW is the Gyrocopter because GW is the only one to sell it.

Twido
18-09-2015, 13:00

A year ago I might have agreed with you.

To be honest though GW fluff has been a mixed bag for a long time. There have been some really cool concepts and some good black library novels, but then you have some truly awful fluff (usually in army books) that reads like gushing fan fiction full of Mary Sue characters. I would say the fluff has (or had) really good foundations with some questionable stuff built upon it. Unfortunately AoS has removed those strong foundations and replaced them with a bucket of poo.

In my opinion :P

Mrnon
18-09-2015, 13:20
Pictures please.

as requested!!

still very much a work in progress and a ton of green stuff required, unfortunately I don't have a good shot of the back pack to put up but you get the general idea. Still learning the art of "green stuff" but it's getting there.

Spiney Norman
18-09-2015, 13:39
as requested!!

still very much a work in progress and a ton of green stuff required, unfortunately I don't have a good shot of the back pack to put up but you get the general idea. Still learning the art of "green stuff" but it's getting there.

Wow that helmet is amazing, I wouldn't go so far as to say it saves the model, but it makes a huge difference changing the character of the piece away from those dippy deathmasks.

Mrnon
18-09-2015, 13:43
Got the helmets of ebay, think there puppet war product, but they do change the feel of the model,

duffybear1988
18-09-2015, 13:46
as requested!!

The helmet is the best bit. :yes: Has a real LoTR vibe going on. The sigmarine armour is just too blocky in my opinion. If GW hadn't insisted on making them so fat then I don't think I would hate them so much, but they just lack character or something. Your helmet switch is a good idea though.

ScruffMan
18-09-2015, 13:53
Which competitors?

In the past I would have agreed with you 100%. But this new magic realm BS is beyond crap. Are they planets? Planes? Where do people live? What do people eat? When the Goretide aren't running around in their underwear shout RAAAAH are they dabbling in a bit of a bakery action? The whole thing is 2mm deep, there is nothing below the surface. It's a bit like the silliness towards the end of the end times, when 10 billion chaos warriors come out of the north. Oh really, what were they living on up there, slush puppies? If there were so many why didn't they take over the world 1000 years ago, as it looked like it was pretty easy in the end.

I just despise this kind of setting, where the bar for willing suspension of disbelief is set so ludicrously high as to be meaningless. There are no normal people, anywhere; it's dumb.

I think this is a bit unfair. As you say about normal people, well normal is relative. It certainly doesn't seem like a world that is currently sustaining many agricultural societies but is that abnormal? I've only read about the realm of fire in depth so far but that seems to be a society built on extremely malevolent slavery. The realms are supposed to be massive though and they do encourage you to feel as if any sort of society that you fancy for your forces can realistically exist. I hope it all gets more fleshed out too but I'm not expecting any amazingly fantastic writing or lore, that was rare enough when they were going through their golden era of writers and developers.

Glemigobles
18-09-2015, 14:01
Which competitors?

In the past I would have agreed with you 100%. But this new magic realm BS is beyond crap. Are they planets? Planes? Where do people live? What do people eat?

When they aren't at war they talk about war on potential fields od battle ;) whats the sing under aos logo? Unending battles in worlds od everlasting war? Something like that. As opposed to a grim world of perilous adventures. No background = no adventures (no reason to share adventures).

WarbossKurgan
18-09-2015, 14:02
Are they planets? Planes? Where do people live? What do people eat? When the Goretide aren't running around in their underwear shout RAAAAH are they dabbling in a bit of a bakery action?

To paraphrase Josh Reynolds (from his Ask.fm page)

"The Mortal Realms are not planets, the best way to think of them is as magical planes. The realms are insanely vast - each is the size of multiple WHF worlds, and some of them shift and warp in places at the inclination of their patrons (the Realms of Life and Death, for instance). So the only limit to cultures/kingdoms/etc. is, to employ a cliche, your imagination.

Each of the eight realms has a north, and tribes which inhabit that north. So Norscans of one sort or another are possible, as are versions of Cathayans, Arabyans, etc. What of the ice-kingdoms of Gjoll, in the far north of the Realm of Beasts, or the Ravenborn of the Frostwood? What of the husk-raiders of the Jade Sea, in the Realm of Life? What of the savage tribal horsemen of the Calderan Steppes in the Realm of Fire?

Vast, uncharted realms full of new kingdoms to explore. It can't just be proto-barbarian tribes running around in the Realm of Fire and such. There's probably volcano crater-kingdoms full of Bretonnian-esque knights who ride reptile-horses to battle. There's probably cities built on the backs of behemoths in the Realm of Beasts and giant seed-pod fortresses that rise and fall with the wind in the Realm of Life. Imagine what the duardin or orruks in the Realm of Death look like..."

ScruffMan
18-09-2015, 14:14

"The Mortal Realms are not planets, the best way to think of them is as magical planes. The realms are insanely vast - each is the size of multiple WHF worlds, and some of them shift and warp in places at the inclination of their patrons (the Realms of Life and Death, for instance). So the only limit to cultures/kingdoms/etc. is, to employ a cliche, your imagination.

Each of the eight realms has a north, and tribes which inhabit that north. So Norscans of one sort or another are possible, as are versions of Cathayans, Arabyans, etc. What of the ice-kingdoms of Gjoll, in the far north of the Realm of Beasts, or the Ravenborn of the Frostwood? What of the husk-raiders of the Jade Sea, in the Realm of Life? What of the savage tribal horsemen of the Calderan Steppes in the Realm of Fire?

Vast, uncharted realms full of new kingdoms to explore. It can't just be proto-barbarian tribes running around in the Realm of Fire and such. There's probably volcano crater-kingdoms full of Bretonnian-esque knights who ride reptile-horses to battle. There's probably cities built on the backs of behemoths in the Realm of Beasts and giant seed-pod fortresses that rise and fall with the wind in the Realm of Life. Imagine what the duardin or orruks in the Realm of Death look like..."

Said far more eloquently than I managed.

tmod
18-09-2015, 14:19
I don't remember ANYONE asking for Angels of Order ever. I do remember several people speculating that an order equivalent to Warriors of Chaos might sell well, or that fantasy space marines would be worth trying to attract more customers. Neither of these statements endorse anything like Sigmarines at all, they merely state that a faction like Sigmarines would be a logical choice... GW seems to agree, some people like them, more don't. I hate them, both because Marines with hammers are lazy, boring and less than creative, but also because I find the execution of said concept exceptionally ugly. Especially by GW standards. That said, I still think fantasy marines was a logical (and probably commercially sound) choice for a new faction.

Canning the second most successful table top miniature game in history and replacing it with AoS does NOT seem to me to be a prudent move, and probably causing GW to loose more goodwill/fans than Sigmarines could earn them. Destroying their second most important IP one year before the release of a huge computer game based on said IP was probably not very smart, and the way everything was handled generated a lot of mistrust which is never a good thing for a company...

THIS is ridiculous. Most games have quite poor fluff, but it's hard to match the utterly unimaginative AoS. The old Warhammer fluff would never win a nobel prize, but the background was largely clever parodies not dissimilar to Terry Pratchett's stuff, and the new stuff is just nowhere near that level...
Have you read the fluff for Malifaux? Freebooter's Fate? Infinity? Even Super Dungeon Explore (yeah, board game, I know) is better and at least as original! I've heard somewhere there's some background stuff for X-wing as well, made into movies even... ;-)

Sent fra min GT-I9506 via Tapatalk

Sephillion
18-09-2015, 14:55

No.

They are technically ok. Not perfect, I’ve seen better from GW. In fact, I see better from other companies. It’s been a while that I think that GW isn’t the top dog anymore. Their pose, notably, are terrible (not so much for the Sigmarines but in general).

They have no personality. They are an imitation of Space Marines, but done badly. The models are bland, and all a very simple variation on the same theme, something that SM do better. The studio color scheme is terrible and uninspiring. Their fluff is bland.

There is a part of that which is entirely subjective. But recently, their fluff has been going down. Even in 40K, their fluff is becoming dreadful. And thin.

sephiroth87
18-09-2015, 15:55
I also do not agree with the fluff being better at GW. You can see the downhill slide just in terms of artwork. My 40k ork book has...photographs of the models. Remember those days where they had talented artists drawing or painting the unit entries? I have most of the codexes back to 2nd edition and most of the army books back from 5th-6th edition. Just looking from my 4th edition ork book and my 7th, they gutted all the artwork in favor of what is essentially a hardback Warhammer Visions magazine, then charged me twice (regular book and the Ghazghull book) to get a functional codex.

This seems like the exact definition of phoning it in.

Sephillion
18-09-2015, 16:18
I also do not agree with the fluff being better at GW. You can see the downhill slide just in terms of artwork. My 40k ork book has...photographs of the models. Remember those days where they had talented artists drawing or painting the unit entries? I have most of the codexes back to 2nd edition and most of the army books back from 5th-6th edition. Just looking from my 4th edition ork book and my 7th, they gutted all the artwork in favor of what is essentially a hardback Warhammer Visions magazine, then charged me twice (regular book and the Ghazghull book) to get a functional codex.

This seems like the exact definition of phoning it in.

The 40K Ork codex was exactly the one I was thinking about. I so wanted to get into the army… the book made it so hard, because it told so little and was just a models gallery. The enthusiasts on this forum were doing a better job at depicting the craziness of the Orks than those blurbs with pictures of models – and pictures of Ork armies are not exactly hard to find on the Net. So sad…

ewar
18-09-2015, 23:13
I think this is a bit unfair. As you say about normal people, well normal is relative. It certainly doesn't seem like a world that is currently sustaining many agricultural societies but is that abnormal? I've only read about the realm of fire in depth so far but that seems to be a society built on extremely malevolent slavery. The realms are supposed to be massive though and they do encourage you to feel as if any sort of society that you fancy for your forces can realistically exist. I hope it all gets more fleshed out too but I'm not expecting any amazingly fantastic writing or lore, that was rare enough when they were going through their golden era of writers and developers.

Normal can be relative, but then what is normal for a sigmarine family? Does Daddy Sigmarine come home to Mummy Sigmarine after a hard day of polishing his golden rod and being reincarnated to eat his sigmarsausage and sigmarchips, drinking a nice cool sigmarduff before going out and doing it all again?

The examples given by WarbossKurgan are just soooooooo baaaaaaaaad, it sends shivers down my back. So, the Realms are effectively infinite, with literally endless possibilities? When did boundaries become a bad thing? GW keep dropping compound names like they're going out of f-ing fashion: floating islands of the shimmertarn (yay), ravenborn of frostwood (oh please, it's like they're using a random word generator), the list just goes on and on....

The entire concept is childish, shallow and reeks of design by committee. They haven't created an interesting place first and foremost and then seen where that leads them. They have taken a product idea, some IP law and then created a bastard universe they have bent to fit these overriding needs first and foremost.

Just think of all the great fantasy and sci fi universes, did Frank Herbert have the Dune toy range in mind before he dreamed up Arakis? Did Lucas have the jedi action figures before he had Luke? (actually, don't answer the last one...)

Going back to my need for there to be a baseline normal in the universe to ground our perception of what is heroic - nothing a Sigmarine ever does will be heroic. Unlike Space Marines, there aren't imperial guard/civilians to give them context. There is no peasant village to save, no monster to overcome their fears against. They are (for all intents and purposes) gold robots who do something completely inhuman and unrelateable. Who cares if they sacrifice themselves in the line of duty? They respawn like some mook in call of duty. There is no humanity to them, nothing even close to pathos to draw us, the readers/players in.

Whoever came up with this rubbish needs to get spaced out the nearest airlock.

akinokurisu
19-09-2015, 00:56
I think they look pretty damn awesome. To tell you the truth, they've gotten me painting again. Which is a bonus.

AlexHolker
19-09-2015, 12:51
I like angels, but only when they look like this (http://mmdoc-s05.seekrit.info/EN/s05_Cre_Hav_071.jpg). I don't give a damn about Land Space Marines.

Chain
19-09-2015, 13:15
They look like Golems, which isn't bad, but it isn't something i'd be interested at buying

Sephillion
19-09-2015, 13:53
Normal can be relative, but then what is normal for a sigmarine family? Does Daddy Sigmarine come home to Mummy Sigmarine after a hard day of polishing his golden rod and being reincarnated to eat his sigmarsausage and sigmarchips, drinking a nice cool sigmarduff before going out and doing it all again?

The examples given by WarbossKurgan are just soooooooo baaaaaaaaad, it sends shivers down my back. So, the Realms are effectively infinite, with literally endless possibilities? When did boundaries become a bad thing? GW keep dropping compound names like they're going out of f-ing fashion: floating islands of the shimmertarn (yay), ravenborn of frostwood (oh please, it's like they're using a random word generator), the list just goes on and on....

The entire concept is childish, shallow and reeks of design by committee. They haven't created an interesting place first and foremost and then seen where that leads them. They have taken a product idea, some IP law and then created a bastard universe they have bent to fit these overriding needs first and foremost.

Just think of all the great fantasy and sci fi universes, did Frank Herbert have the Dune toy range in mind before he dreamed up Arakis? Did Lucas have the jedi action figures before he had Luke? (actually, don't answer the last one...)

Going back to my need for there to be a baseline normal in the universe to ground our perception of what is heroic - nothing a Sigmarine ever does will be heroic. Unlike Space Marines, there aren't imperial guard/civilians to give them context. There is no peasant village to save, no monster to overcome their fears against. They are (for all intents and purposes) gold robots who do something completely inhuman and unrelateable. Who cares if they sacrifice themselves in the line of duty? They respawn like some mook in call of duty. There is no humanity to them, nothing even close to pathos to draw us, the readers/players in.

Whoever came up with this rubbish needs to get spaced out the nearest airlock.

It reminds me of Planescape - multiple infinite planes, including lands of fire, rivers of blood, floating isles, and so on. However, they forgot a few details.

Planescape had a core - Sigil, the city at the center of the Outlands, and from where people can access any planes. This core was fully detailed, and despite being an outlandish place it felt plausible, in a fantasy sort of way.

And all those wacky places had a counterpart - the material plane. So the outlandishness of the setting had a more mundane reflection, which gave depth and texture to all the high-fantasy weirdness.

AoS is, so far, lacking those things.

From the outset, the Planescape campaign setting gave you a good idea how people lived; it's a high fantasy campaign, but there are average joes, and I'm not sure if there are any in AoS.

Shards of Basalt
19-09-2015, 14:04
I think the colour scheme upsets me more than anything else.
All that gold reminds me of when someone I went to school with who was fairly reluctant to the whole painting side of things discovered cheap chrome spray paint and for a time it became his answer to everything. To the point it was something of a relief when he stopped trying and his armies became hordes of grey plastic until he could convince someone else to paint them again.

lbecks
19-09-2015, 17:01
I'm putting the Retributors from the starter set together and I really like them. I think the archers and flying guys should have smaller shoulder pad designs.

Shandor
19-09-2015, 18:25
They look like Golems, which isn't bad, but it isn't something i'd be interested at buying

Those Sigmarines would be cool as a Unit for Dwarves. War Golems.
But for an whole new Faction they are just boring. And For beeing an Living, Plate armor Order Faction they look to boring, to huge and to fat. I cant even image the Person fits inside such an Armor. 3 Meters tall and 2,5 meter wide with an Tiny Head.. Thats the reason you never see those Sigmarines without Armor.. everyone would laugh his ass off if you see those Ugly Mutants.

Sigmarine without Armor discoverd:

StarFyreXXX
22-09-2015, 12:28
OMG Planescape is my favourite fantasy setting of all time (including all books, movies, games, etc). Right now, I DM an epic level 3.5E/Pathfinder Planescape campaign (i took over DM'ing from a DM since 1994, and as our group -- i was a player in the group as well, got more powerful, it took the next logical step for their goals, went to the planes). I actually got a couple Sigmar models to modify for 1 of the clerics and the paladin in the group :)

It reminds me of Planescape - multiple infinite planes, including lands of fire, rivers of blood, floating isles, and so on. However, they forgot a few details.

Planescape had a core - Sigil, the city at the center of the Outlands, and from where people can access any planes. This core was fully detailed, and despite being an outlandish place it felt plausible, in a fantasy sort of way.

And all those wacky places had a counterpart - the material plane. So the outlandishness of the setting had a more mundane reflection, which gave depth and texture to all the high-fantasy weirdness.

AoS is, so far, lacking those things.

From the outset, the Planescape campaign setting gave you a good idea how people lived; it's a high fantasy campaign, but there are average joes, and I'm not sure if there are any in AoS.

Tarrell
25-09-2015, 07:43
From the end times, I though that a combo Bretonia/Empire crossover with the green knight army was where GW was original headed. Essentially an army that had lots of Heavinly/ heroic knights on foot and horse, however they would still look like humans in proportion, not sigmarines. Considering Brets were an army that need some loving like no one else.

HappyDad
25-09-2015, 11:06
I don't think the Sigmarines look stupid. I saw and held my first one yesterday, in the flesh so to speak. I have to say though that it just did nothing for me at all. I like knights and would love realistically sculpted 28mm fantastical knights with elements that raise them above and beyond a historical miniature. However, the Sigmarine failed utterly. I don't know how or why. The armour does not look realistic in any way, and the face of the helmet was just too bland and cold. It was definitely one of the least appealing miniatures GW have made in quite a while (IMHO of course).

Claymore
25-09-2015, 11:53
They don't look stupid to me, they're just boring.

forthegloryofkazadekrund
25-09-2015, 15:35
To me, theres no personality to then, i dont feel anything which connects me to them ingame, previous editions we have had humans that fulfilled that roll. Because GW decided that these Sigmarmarines would come out first and not ordinary humans (if they ever do any) it just leaves me cold and devoid of any empathy towards them.

IMO the look of them is not that good (GW cant say they make the best models, because we all know they dont), they are just Marines in Fantasy and are boring, they keep on churning out similar looking units month in, month out

Cheeslord
25-09-2015, 16:14
... and the face of the helmet was just too bland and cold.

That's what I feel too... the blank human-style faces just seem creepy and emotionless. If they were helmets that looked like helmets you could imaging them having a face beneath with an expression reflecting the overall pose of the miniature, but the blank-faced masks just look impassive to everything. Of course, that can be intimidating to enemies, but if they are ever leading or supporting forces of lesser beings those facemasks would not help their allies to trust or empathise with them...even if there was the odd sergeant or special character with their mask off, like space marines, it would help reenforce that it was just a mask and they did feel some kind of human-empathiseable emotion beneath, but (as far as I know, and I am not exactly watching releases like a hawk) no sigmarine has yet been spotted with its mask off...

Mark.

Gaius Castus
25-09-2015, 18:53
They have grown on me quite a bit. The kits are well done, and the options provide for a nice variety of possibilities. I suppose the "death shroud" masks make for a counterpoint to the howling berserkers of Khorne aesthetically, though I am not completely sold on that element of their design. But having built some for the first time this week, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed putting them together, and their final appearance.

Wurfelrolle
28-09-2015, 16:10
I really dislike the entire AoS aesthetic so far. The Sigmarines look like fat Cybermen, and even all of the new Chaos models this year (those technically pre-AoS, but obviously meant for it) have the same Space Marine elephantitis of the legs and leg armor.

The bearded one
28-09-2015, 22:10
I really dislike the entire AoS aesthetic so far. The Sigmarines look like fat Cybermen

Oh my god you're right! Delete! Delete! Supress all emotion! Delete!

* hums the Cybermen theme * tadadudum dadudum tadididudum

CoolWhip
29-09-2015, 07:55
They make me wanna play 40k