PDA

View Full Version : What have you been playing lately?

Plebian
26-09-2015, 01:27
Just wanted to see what Warhammer fans have been up to.

Kakapo42
26-09-2015, 01:44
Well I haven't been doing too much of anything tabletop related recently, but that's almost entirely due to being snowed under with university work. If I was however it wouldn't quite be any of the above options. I past-hammer, but not with pure 8th. Instead I generally use the 8th edition core rules, but the 6th edition army book for my main army (Wood Elves). I've also considered reverting to pure 6th edition, or creating a 6th/8th edition hybrid for core rules. The 6th edition Wood Elf army book is used regardless though, that's the main important part for me.

Spiney Norman
26-09-2015, 02:12
AoS, WFB 8th, Star Trek attack Wing and LotR SBG

Malagor
26-09-2015, 02:16
8e and Warmahordes.

Lars Porsenna
26-09-2015, 06:13
Not much beyond D&D. When you have children, your time is not always your own. FREX, the local group was going to play 40K this last Sunday. My company provided tickets to a local amusement park. Guess where I was with the kids?

In terms of projects, lots of painting stuff for D&D, working on the historical army that-will-not-die (Gauls in 15mm), as well as the WHFB unit that will-not-die (Night Goblin archers...almost done in fact!). Have some Star Fleet Battles ACTA ships in the queue as well...

Damon.

smaxx
26-09-2015, 06:51
Bolt Action & Hail Caesar in addition to Kings of War.

CoolWhip
26-09-2015, 06:53
Nothing since end times... But hopefully KoW soon. I wanna find the most flavourful way to play my wood elves... I'm liking kakapo42's ideas so far as well. Hopefully my gaming group is as forgiving as his.

andnowsteve
26-09-2015, 06:58
Warseer hates AoS, but...erm...seems to play it, a lot.

Vazalaar
26-09-2015, 07:23
Warhammer 8th edition with Furions reworked/rebalanced addition.

Jind_Singh
26-09-2015, 07:44
Racist Poll...

No LOTR option!

I've been playing:

The Hobbit
Age of Sigmar
Some 40k

But mainly even split between LOTR and AoS

Darkspear
26-09-2015, 07:52
My last game was Age of Sigmar, reason was that it was the accepted version of warhammer in the independent store. The store is the place where i get most of my games. I also play WHFB 7th ed in my gaming group but we do not meet that often (due to real life reasons which cause my timetable to clash with most of the guys forcing me to spend most gaming time in the stores :().

Leogun_91
26-09-2015, 07:58
Have continued playing 8th but have also tried Kings of War, Warthrone and 9th Age.

Niall78
26-09-2015, 08:01
My gaming group switched to KoW so I'm playing a few testers for it at the moment as a replacement for WFB and getting along great. Zulu! - Black Powder, Battletech, Star Wars Armada for quick games and dabbling with Hail Caesar.

Vazalaar
26-09-2015, 08:05
I am always amazed how many different games people seem to play. I assume not everbody works fulltime, have kids and a wife? I only can play two evenings a month (Warhammer) and have around 6 hours painting time per week. That's it.

theredknight
26-09-2015, 08:50
in my gaming group we are playing warthrone

Niall78
26-09-2015, 08:53
I am always amazed how many different games people seem to play. I assume not everbody works fulltime, have kids and a wife? I only can play two evenings a month (Warhammer) and have around 6 hours painting time per week. That's it.

Time is a major issue to anyone who has kids and a full time job. I hardly watch TV so that frees up a lot of time when the kids are in bed. It helps that the Mrs is supportive.

Saying that I found SW:Armada a breath of fresh air. I was playing a great looking game within minutes of getting it. Not only are more pre-painted games on my radar I'm now actively wondering about paying to have stuff painted (Hail Caesar) to get games started without the time pressure of painting. It took me months to work on basic painting and terrain for my BP:Zulu games. While I don't mind painting I'm more a gamer and the painting is always secondary to that. It also helps that once you get beyond GW a lot of games are scaled properly and don't have the horrific buy-in costs or time commitment to set-up and play. I can play three or four BP:Zulu games in the time it takes to play a 2000 point WFB. It also helps that with systems like Battletech and WFB that my group can play without accessing the rules 99.99% of the time due to much practice over many years.

Niall78
26-09-2015, 08:54
in my gaming group we are playing warthrone

Never played it but it seems very interesting. How are you finding it?

WarbossKurgan
26-09-2015, 08:59
Just Age of Sigmar, and lots of it. I've played more games in 2-3 months than I played in the whole of last year.

Davidian
26-09-2015, 09:05
In the last 2 weeks, I haven't had time to get any more than a game of Malifaux in. I normally get at least 2 evening sessions a week though, so the last two weeks isn't a good indication of my normal habbit.

I'm building a KoW army, which is taking all my hobby time up atm.

Gaming plans though for Oct, we're starting a mordheim campaign.
November is going to be a bloodbowl league.

Shandor
26-09-2015, 09:57
Since my AOS testing games i stoped playing Tabletop alltogether. It somehow drains all the Motivation out of the Hobby for me..
All the fantasy players are gone from the GW store i used to play every saturday.

Whirlwind
26-09-2015, 10:00

Nah, the poll is no different from the others that have shown that about 20-25% of the community are 'pro-AoS'. It's a perception thing because there are so many other options on the list, if you combine it into non_AoS and AoS it's still about 75:25 so no change.

Spiney Norman
26-09-2015, 10:06
Nah, the poll is no different from the others that have shown that about 20-25% of the community are 'pro-AoS'. It's a perception thing because there are so many other options on the list, if you combine it into non_AoS and AoS it's still about 75:25 so no change.

Actually 25% is a lot higher than I'd thought it would be, I certainly didn't expect KoW to rate lower than AoS the way everyone is raving about it, that is actually somewhat encouraging

Niall78
26-09-2015, 10:11
Since my AOS testing games i stoped playing Tabletop alltogether. It somehow drains all the Motivation out of the Hobby for me..
All the fantasy players are gone from the GW store i used to play every saturday.

All I can recommend is that you look into groups or independent stores in your area. Maybe try to start your own group?

There's a whole world of great games out there offering great experiences. It's a pity to see people giving up on that because one system/setting out of hundreds has been vandalised.

Davidian
26-09-2015, 10:26
Actually 25% is a lot higher than I'd thought it would be, I certainly didn't expect KoW to rate lower than AoS the way everyone is raving about it, that is actually somewhat encouraging

See I didn't vote for KoW but I've played it more than anything else in the last couple of months.

I've only played one game of malifaux in the last 2 weeks.

It's not a great question tbh.

In the last two months it's been;

1:KoW
2:malifaux
3:8th ed

In order.

ik0ner
26-09-2015, 11:29
I'm forging my own narrative with 4/5/6th ed mashup.

Drakkar du Chaos
26-09-2015, 11:33

I certainly didnt expect people to make conclusions with a pool two days old withless voters than people in my gaming group.

Tupinamba
26-09-2015, 11:45
Voted other/nothing, as Ive been playing Wrath of Kings.

However, Id like to suggest sepparating this option into two, as "others" is quite different to "nothing".

Tupinamba
26-09-2015, 11:54

You mean the same 20% that also says it likes AoS and that have kept or increased their purchases?

Davidian
26-09-2015, 12:00
Polls for the poll god!

Results for the stat-throne!

Evil Hypnotist
26-09-2015, 12:03
My club went Necromunda mad for a couple of months, which is awesome because it's my favourite GW game. Last night I played 8th ed for the first time since July though, I finally feel like playing fantasy again. Just need to give AoS a good go now and make my mind up :S

Malagor
26-09-2015, 12:35
The question is what have you been playing lately, not what game have you been playing that you like.
Had this thread been created say a month ago, I would have voted for AoS among others since I did give it a go and it was recent enough for it to be considered "lately".
Doesn't mean that I liked it however.

jtrowell
26-09-2015, 13:37

Note that many new KoW players might have simply stopped reading the Warhammer general forum.

Also, any player who played AoS (or any of the other game, including KoW) simply to test it and didn't like it would be voting for it while still not liking the game.

Lordcypress
26-09-2015, 14:40
Warhammer Fantasy 8th only. I don't play any other massed battle game. I'll be playing this game for a long time to come.

Sephillion
26-09-2015, 16:42
I checked Infinity, but saying I play it is a stretch, I build an army. I stopped playing 40K, and I don't plan on playing any GW games in the foreseeable future unless they do a 180.

Also play Warmahordes.

herohammer
26-09-2015, 17:09
I have been playing Malifaux along with most other WHFB players from my city.

AFnord
26-09-2015, 18:59
Conflict of Heroes.
Yeah, it's not have miniatures, but it's really good.

EffCee
26-09-2015, 19:05
4th Ed Warhammer and having more fun with my hobby than I have in ages. :)

Voss
26-09-2015, 19:05

Yeah.. 15 whole people sure is a lot.

Lord Cedric
26-09-2015, 19:11
I've been playing lots of Star Wars X-wing, Hero Quest, WarZone (classic), Imperial Assault, Settlers of Catan, Malifaux, Wings of Glory WWII, Flames of War, Warhammer Ancient Battles/Hail Caesar and just starting to get into playing and collect Infinity, Star Wars Armada, Space Fleet (the original pre Battlefleet Gothic), Necromunda and Mordheim. Oh and the very occasional Age of Sigmar.

- Lord Cedric

Captain Marius
26-09-2015, 19:49
AoS, 40k and SW Armada, enjoying them all!

NagashLover
26-09-2015, 21:11

Well KoW supporters are similar to GW supporters (or any other game actually) and tend to have the highly vocal zealots to give off the appearance of it being amazing and doing well. To be fair, KoW has many differences from Warhammer fantasy which has turned off many gamers (myself included) so you'll see the numbers reflect people having tried it and found it wasn't the substitute they were looking for.

As for myself I've been playing Malifaux, Warmahordes, Wrath of Kings, Warhammer 8th (and previous editions), Monsterpocalypse and Infinity.

Disposable Hero
26-09-2015, 22:42
One game of AoS, some Frostgrave.

Besides that, painting like no tomorrow: 40K Plague Marines and 30K Death Guard.

Lord Cedric
26-09-2015, 23:18
Anyone play Darklands? The game sounds interesting but don't ever hear nor see anyone playing.

But honestly. .. FFG is quickly becoming my GW. I like AoS but I can't see it as my main game.

- Lord Cedric

Aezeal
26-09-2015, 23:26
Well I haven't been doing too much of anything tabletop related recently, but that's almost entirely due to being snowed under with university work. If I was however it wouldn't quite be any of the above options. I past-hammer, but not with pure 8th. Instead I generally use the 8th edition core rules, but the 6th edition army book for my main army (Wood Elves). I've also considered reverting to pure 6th edition, or creating a 6th/8th edition hybrid for core rules. The 6th edition Wood Elf army book is used regardless though, that's the main important part for me.

Why, our 8th edition book is great, and our AoS warscrolls have potential too.

Kakapo42
27-09-2015, 03:29
Why, our 8th edition book is great, and our AoS warscrolls have potential too.

Because I enjoy the 6th edition book more. I'd go into more detail but I don't really want to open up the whole 6th/8th edition Wood Elf book can of worms all over again (there's enough arguing going on in the Warhammer forum as it is already :p ).

And the AoS warscrolls are right out, since I have no interest in AoS.

lorelorn
27-09-2015, 03:49
X-Wing

Not listed:
SAGA
Of Gods & Mortals

Board games
Magic: the Gathering

Davidian
27-09-2015, 07:25
Yeah.. 15 whole people sure is a lot.

Well these polls are hardly going to generate accurate, worldwide stats.

It is telling though, that Warhammer players are now playing more alternative systems, be it legacy or competitor systems.

It might be healthy for GW to have closer competition... It might put a stop to such atrocities as charging 80 for the new skarbrand!

Whirlwind
27-09-2015, 07:53
It might be healthy for GW to have closer competition... It might put a stop to such atrocities as charging 80 for the new skarbrand!

I'm not sure this is GWs policy which is if the number of purchasers decrease prices increase to compensate to maintain overall profit. I would not be surprised why Skarbrand is 15% more expensive (UK) as the original BT didn't sell as well as expected and hence SB is inflated to compensate.

As for what I am playing it is

8th
Xwing
Armada
All quiet on the Martian front

Acephale
27-09-2015, 09:09
A lot of Pulp Alley, which is crazy fun and a really soild ruleset.

Lion Rampant for the medieval fix.

Playtesting The Pikeman's Lament (a pike and shot variant of Lion Rampant)

The odd campaign game of Black Powder.

Also tried Open Combat recently, but it wasn't that great imo. Next up is Frostgrave.

shelfunit.
27-09-2015, 09:10
I would not be surprised why Skarbrand is 15% more expensive (UK) as the original BT didn't sell as well as expected and hence SB is inflated to compensate.

Because raising the price by 15% is the internationally renowned method of improving sales on something percieved as too expensive...

Anyway, on topic - a little KoW, boardgames and waiting on several kickstarters including Strange Aeons.

The boyz
27-09-2015, 09:32
KoW, Bolt Action and Frostgrave.

Whirlwind
27-09-2015, 10:01
Because raising the price by 15% is the internationally renowned method of improving sales on something percieved as too expensive...

Yeah I agree. I wasn't saying it was a sane policy, just what the GW policy appears to be...

HappyDad
27-09-2015, 12:20
In the past two weeks, I have played 8 games of Space Hulk, 1st edition (with modern replacements for the Miniatures). I have played 4 games at home with family and 4 games at Home Education group meetings (I home school my 2 kids). Just loving Space Hulk since I replaced my long gone box set from eBay. It is such a fun little game. One squad missions can be played in 20mins, and the rules can be grasped by 6+ year old kids over the course of a game, then they are free to choose their strategy and try and play it out and see how it goes.

HappyDad
27-09-2015, 12:40
Double post, sorry...

forthegloryofkazadekrund
27-09-2015, 12:55
8th edition, Kings of War, Batman and X-Wing

Lord Cedric
27-09-2015, 13:19
A lot of Pulp Alley, which is crazy fun and a really soild ruleset.

Lion Rampant for the medieval fix.

Playtesting The Pikeman's Lament (a pike and shot variant of Lion Rampant)

The odd campaign game of Black Powder.

Also tried Open Combat recently, but it wasn't that great imo. Next up is Frostgrave.
How is Lion Rampant? Especially compared to other medieval historical games. I'm very curios about this game. I keep seeing game pics of it by Wargaming Illustrated and it looks fun.

- Lord Cedric

Hoffa
27-09-2015, 13:27
I think two weeks is a bit to short of a period. I only get to play once a month or so and therefore answered Malifaux as I attended a malifaux tournament yesterday. How ever this was the first time since June I played any miniature game at all as Age of Sigmar made me lose all interest in the hobby for a couple of months.

HOWEVER. I'm attending the first ever Ninth age tournament in Sweden the coming weekend and I'm really enthusiastic about this which is not reflected at all in my answer to the poll as it was not about what I plan to play.

Acephale
27-09-2015, 15:58
How is Lion Rampant? Especially compared to other medieval historical games. I'm very curios about this game. I keep seeing game pics of it by Wargaming Illustrated and it looks fun.

- Lord Cedric

It's a fast and fluid skirmish system with a focus on fun rather than historical accuracy and realism. Easy to learn but with plenty of tactics built in, especially when you do scenarios. It's also very unpredictable which I think is great - there have been games at my club were a player has had one single remining model on the table but still been able to win against insane odds. And this was not some uber character model either, since there are no characters per se in LR (well the general is technically a character but he's not a better fighter or anything like that).

On the down side it's pretty random since a failed command roll basically makes you lose initiative. So you could potentially spend the majority of a game just standing around waiting to get your troops moving, and you'll never be able to do things just the way you'd like. Personally I enjoy this since it adds to the unpredictability, but some people prefer to be more in control. But if anything, it's in line with the design concept: crazy, bloody, chaotic fun.

Jadawin
27-09-2015, 16:07
KoW for me, last night in fact, very much enjoying it even if im not very good at it! Also played Warmaster, Black Powder. X wing and Bolt Action in recent months. Painting wise ATM im finishing off my Bolt Action Germans and Warmaster Undead.

Rogue
27-09-2015, 16:13
In addition to playing the occasional 40K I have been working on my website specializing in WFB during 4th to the 6th.

Okuto
27-09-2015, 16:58
Played some AoS but felt empty and didn't want to go back to 8th

Couldnt find enough people to play 6th so jumped on the KoW wagon, pleased but others are slow to make transition

So returned to 40k but realized best to wait for new releases, so playing X-Wing on the side.

Failing that, MtG is starting to pick up steam again and starting to eat up tables so playing that too.

D&D 5th starting to get a following and I'm being approached to GM for it and I'm likely to do it with warhammer fantasy theme.

HelloKitty
27-09-2015, 17:02
We're in the middle of an Age of Sigmar campaign so I'll be doing that until the end of the year, with some Frostgrave once a month and the occasional armada game. Our 40k campaign starts in January.

Vazalaar
27-09-2015, 17:11
KoW is having a bit less than 1/4, not bad.
If GW would have supported AoS and Warhammer 8th edition. Even if the support was minimal (i.e no new rulebooks for 8th, but for each new AoS miniature, a pamphlet with 8th ed. rules for the new models) I think the GW fantasty part would be in a good state. Shame that GW instead chosed to kill official support for 8th completly.

Late
27-09-2015, 17:29
What I have been playing since 1994 or so, Warhammer Fantasy Battle 3rd edition and 2nd edition 40k (with RT's h2h rules)

Scribe of Khorne
27-09-2015, 17:31
Magic the Gathering

Kegslayer
27-09-2015, 19:18
AoS mainly. In fact I've played more AoS in the last two months than I've played any game in the last 5 years. I've also played a bit more warmahordes recently also

Lordmonkey
27-09-2015, 19:41
I voted KoW. Technically I haven't played it yet, but in my mind i'm dead set on it. I've watched several live battle reports now and i'm really excited to get going.

Only trouble is I have no free time right now, so it's first priority whenever I next get a couple of hours.

Incidentally AoS has gone from my mind.

muiz_void
27-09-2015, 19:48
Aos with scenario and errata...awesomesauce!!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

mrtn
28-09-2015, 01:28
Haven't played too much, just some Imperial Assault and Bolt Action.

sephiroth87
28-09-2015, 04:06
Dungeons and Dragons for the most part until all of this mess gets resolved one way or another.

Khaines Wrath
28-09-2015, 05:15
My tabletop gaming life is now almost exclusively X Wing, thankfully Ive gotten a few more friends into it so I have more chances for matches. It's just a great time, simple rules, the ability to make fun, characterful lists and having all my models painted nicely for me right out of the box is a dream come true.

Though really I play considerably more board and card game, most recently Ive been playing a lot of Coup, Betrayal on the House on the Hill, Arkham Horror, Ticket to Ride and Carcasonne.

Wesser
28-09-2015, 07:43
8th and 9th here

9th functions really great and is a breath of fresh air. I've settled into comfortable spot by now. I used to be miffed that my armies wouldn't be updated, but since I'm so happy with 9th the only issue is models. AoS might even produce something I can put on square bases, but if not I got plenty of alternatives. AoS is a fading memory lurking in the corner of my FLGS hidden behind the MTG stands

Looking forward to taking my Wood Elves to Giant Fanatic next week :)

Rakariel
28-09-2015, 10:16
I`m more a painter than a gamer and if I play I rather do campaigns than tournaments. After an initial trial phase of AoS and deciding the game was absolutely not for me I have been steadily trying new things. I have been giving Malifaux, KoW and Wm/Ho (and one game of 9th age) a go and really like those systems. I would still be playing 8th edition aswell but sadly all of our clubs former fantasy players have been ditching GW completely either migrating to KoW or Wm/Ho.

While the look of Privateer Press`s model range is debatable I can easily get my painting fix with a rather large still unpainted Fantasy collection which is perfectly usable for KoW. I even bought two starter boxes of AoS at a hefty discount (seems like noone wanted them ;)) to convert the Sigmarines for my growing Basilean army (the chaos models can easily be incorporated into my existing WoC army anyway). On top of it KoW gives me more freedom in creating unit fillers or whole dioaramas wich has actually stoked my interest in painting even more (if thats even possible). We are doing a campaign very soon (using KoW rules and Warhammer fluff - we still lack too much knowledge about KoWs universe to use the latter) and it seems some people will set up a small tournament in the not so distant future aswell. It seems my beloved mass infantrie R&F gaming experience is saved after all :).

Malifaux has also been a real treat, gaming and painting wise. It just plays so differently, is easy to set up if you only have time for a quick game while also providing a solid foundation for narrative play and campaigns. The background is fun to read and has all sorts of cool characters. About the whacky models well.... I just love to paint them :D

The main thing in general is however, all systems I have tried since AoS, have a very solid ruleset which not only lets you easily do proper tournaments but also supports fluffy, narrative campaign play. I know it has been said multiple times already, but its of course far easier to deduct from a solid ruleset to create "rules-freedom" for campaign play than the other way round trying to create something solid out of something, lets just say, loosely shaped. As for the story writing, while I cannot comment on KoWs backstory (I haven`t read it yet) I also feel more at home with Wm/Ho and especially Malifaux`s fluff presentation. Its gritty, its dark and feels much more mature. Dont get me wrong, I loved the Old World, and yes I know it was nowhere near literature prize winning material aswell, but still didn`t invoke the feeling I was reading a script for the next Lou Scheimer production that AoS literally gives me every single page.

hoggle76
28-09-2015, 10:51
aos, mostly set in 'the world that was' atm, though as more fluff comes out we seem to be playing more in the new setting too. was doing 40k and 8th before, but not really bothered with either this year.

Aezeal
28-09-2015, 11:08
8th and 9th here

9th functions really great and is a breath of fresh air. I've settled into comfortable spot by now. I used to be miffed that my armies wouldn't be updated, but since I'm so happy with 9th the only issue is models. AoS might even produce something I can put on square bases, but if not I got plenty of alternatives. AoS is a fading memory lurking in the corner of my FLGS hidden behind the MTG stands

Looking forward to taking my Wood Elves to Giant Fanatic next week :)

I can tell you.. wood elves are fun to play in AOS too.. shooting isn't as strong as it was but some of our other units are now more viable (I'm talking Azyr comp btw). I'm actually considering using treekin :D. There are only a few spells ofcourse - if you play pure woodelves - but they can have some nice effects (but not potentially game breaking) if used correctly. Our army is still about movement and shooting but using the forestdragon's special ability in the right combat can be important too. Summoning dryads is something I've always felt as a thing that would be nice to do and now you can.

hoggle76
28-09-2015, 11:13
I can tell you.. wood elves are fun to play in AOS too.. shooting isn't as strong as it was but some of our other units are now more viable (I'm talking Azyr comp btw). I'm actually considering using treekin :D. There are only a few spells ofcourse - if you play pure woodelves - but they can have some nice effects (but not potentially game breaking) if used correctly. Our army is still about movement and shooting but using the forestdragon's special ability in the right combat can be important too. Summoning dryads is something I've always felt as a thing that would be nice to do and now you can.
yep im having a whale of a time playing with pretty much just my wood elves- they are so much more fun to play now, and ive been able to expand on themed armies like orions wild hunt (LOADS of hounds, wild riders, orion and some support units) that couldnt easily be done before. that dragon is a kicker! especially fighting close alongside a bunch of other big hitters

BeardMonk
28-09-2015, 12:32
Warmachine & Hordes and I have started Malifaux in the last few weeks as lots of people at our club are starting into it. We will prob start a learning league/campaign in about a month.

Cutter
28-09-2015, 12:42
World of Warcraft.

Teurastaja
28-09-2015, 14:37
For me it's mostly Infinity, Warmachine, WFB 8th, Battlefleet Gothic and Dropzone Commander (oh how I love this one, I sold my last 40k army to get more PHR). I'm also getting into Warmaster.

Fortunately AoS is nonexistent in my area.

smaxx
28-09-2015, 15:35
Fortunately AoS is nonexistent in my area.
That's true for well, this planet ?

Wurfelrolle
28-09-2015, 16:02
Kings of War & Bolt Action

squalie
28-09-2015, 17:06
I would really suggest to anyone that's interested to try out Avatars of War "Warthrone". It's where 8th edition should of gone and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Lord_Ivory
28-09-2015, 17:58
I played more games of AoS in the past 2 weeks, then games of 8th(10ish)/KoW (4/5) in the past year =s Was shocked at first by the simplicity of the rules, and lack of comp, strategy ect. until we actually played our first few games i even had a itchy feeling about it.

After the first few games i turned 360 degrees and absolutely love the game =) even Started to collect and paint up a nice bloodreaver horde something i haven`t done for ages =D

Drakkar du Chaos
28-09-2015, 18:14
I would really suggest to anyone that's interested to try out Avatars of War "Warthrone". It's where 8th edition should of gone and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Still waiting marauders from them.

Fat Lad
28-09-2015, 20:38
I'm just rediscovering some interest in wargaming after the whole AoS thing put me into hibernation. I'll still be playing a few games of 8th, but for the minute I'm excited to try Kings of War. My rulebook turned up today, I'm dusting off my paints and starting to adapt my Ogres for KoW.

Lordmonkey
28-09-2015, 20:46
I'm just rediscovering some interest in wargaming after the whole AoS thing put me into hibernation. I'll still be playing a few games of 8th, but for the minute I'm excited to try Kings of War. My rulebook turned up today, I'm dusting off my paints and starting to adapt my Ogres for KoW.

Nice! I really like the Mantic Ogre models. Are you going to buy any or stick with GW ogres?

I'm redirecting my Dark Elv-er, Twilight Kin for KoW ;). And, I plan on sending Mr. Cavatore a bit of dosh for a hard back rulebook, with fluff, army lists and game rules.

Yeah. That's right GW. You're not the only girl game company on my mind.

BallinWitStalin
28-09-2015, 20:57
I pretty much left the hobby, am now playing MtG in my spare time.

Makes me sad to not be wargaming, but MtG is boatloads of fun and a lot more stable, and I like giving WotC my money more than GW, so there's that.

If a good KoW or 9th scene starts up somewhere I may casually join it, but I'm pretty much out at this point.

Leogun_91
28-09-2015, 21:36
I heard it's doing great on Saturn.

Davidian
28-09-2015, 21:49
I'm redirecting my Dark Elv-er, Twilight Kin for KoW ;). And, I plan on sending Mr. Cavatore a bit of dosh for a hard back rulebook, with fluff, army lists and game rules.

Y

Mine's on pre-order.... for 25? that's a great price point. Very much worth it.

Morkael
29-09-2015, 01:13

NASA announced that Curiosity found traces of Age of Sigmar players on Mars.

My gaming group and I are slowly getting back into wargaming, so we've picked up Mordheim. We'll probably end up working our way up to full size armies and play 8th edition eventually.

Khaines Wrath
29-09-2015, 01:46
I pretty much left the hobby, am now playing MtG in my spare time.

Makes me sad to not be wargaming, but MtG is boatloads of fun and a lot more stable, and I like giving WotC my money more than GW, so there's that.

If a good KoW or 9th scene starts up somewhere I may casually join it, but I'm pretty much out at this point.

I love MTG so much. I collected the cards more than anything. But the hobby was a bit like crack cocaine for me. Over a 2 year period I was easily spending over a $100 a week on boosters. More when I discovered just how much I enjoy booster boxes.

Rogue
29-09-2015, 01:59
Played some AoS but felt empty and didn't want to go back to 8th

Couldnt find enough people to play 6th so jumped on the KoW wagon, pleased but others are slow to make transition

So returned to 40k but realized best to wait for new releases, so playing X-Wing on the side.

Failing that, MtG is starting to pick up steam again and starting to eat up tables so playing that too.

D&D 5th starting to get a following and I'm being approached to GM for it and I'm likely to do it with warhammer fantasy theme.

Drop by my website for the community that is interested in playing the 6th edition. The link is below:
www.classichammer.com

Ayin
29-09-2015, 05:03
Something I found interesting when AoS was released was the claims by many that it was a game made for the non-tournament players. This seemed to go directly against what I'd observed upon it's release, and those observations remain true now. Friends that were big into the competitive scene are the ones who are still trying AoS. They're the ones trying different comp packs, different systems of balance, talking about different clubs using different systems, ect. Basically, the competitive ones clung to the "live" game and decided to try and make it work (or try and turn it into something it wasn't meant to be), whereas the for-fun players just jumped ship, and have remained jumped-ship.

Teurastaja
29-09-2015, 08:00

I'm fine with that :)

Fat Lad
29-09-2015, 08:55
Mine's on pre-order.... for 25? that's a great price point. Very much worth it.

My hardback is on pre-order too. Can't wait to get hold of it. I felt it was that cheap (and I'm that impatient) that I treated myself to a softback version from a website with a few in stock just so I can get started.

Deadhorse
29-09-2015, 10:39
Basically, the competitive ones clung to the "live" game and decided to try and make it work (or try and turn it into something it wasn't meant to be), whereas the for-fun players just jumped ship, and have remained jumped-ship.

That's a good observation.

GW tournament players are used to the idea of comp, so when a GW game does not work out of the box, they search the internet for comp or write their own.

Other players don't understand why an "out of the box" game does not work and simply decide to play something else.

And since even people who like AoS use comp (when previously many of those same people were vocally anti-comp), we can surmise that "out of the box" AoS is just a universally bad experience.

Wesser
30-09-2015, 07:53

I'm over the AoS hate, but it's just not a game I care to even try. I didn't play Warhammer Skirmish or Warmahordes because of the messy visual effect. AoS is never going to look good on the board or feel like a battle.

Sure, I could give it a try, but then there's never enough time to play WFB, Mordheim or other boardgames as it is. Normally when a company release a new product they aim to hit a market that needs the product. I'm just not that market

Daniel36
30-09-2015, 08:38
Frostgrave has been on our table. Great game!

AkalaSpeaksFact
30-09-2015, 12:50
Just 40k here, tried aos quite a bit but in given up. Can't play my skaven like I used to in my local store as the games they so are basically wound capped. Eg, your army can have 100 wounds. Great let me bring 100 slaves and get whooped. Again.

"I am the power of death incarnate. I am the swords edge; I hungrily cut the flesh and drink deep of the bloody well beneath. Give me your body, and I promise you glory, I promise you vengeance and I promise you immortality - if you will only let me..."

-Antwyr, the sword god

ooontrprzes
03-10-2015, 01:51
So... out of morbid curiosity, has anyone taken a look at Reaper's Warlord? It's based on the R.A.G.E. (Reaper Adventure Game Engine, because everything's cooler w/ edgy acronyms!) system, and seems like it might be ok-ish. TBH the set-up and initiative rules are pretty silly (it involves playing card shenanigans), but everything else seems solid-if-archaic from a simple glance. Plus, reaper gets even more of my money than GW (at least for the last 5 years or so), so it would please me greatly if their game wasn't a steaming crater. I don't expect much in the way of qualified opinions, as I've literally never heard it mentioned around here, but I sort of just remembered it was a thing and you never know, someone might know something I don't.

...discuss. ;)

(sorry, BTW, I was trying to decide which of the many "we play x instead of y" threads to pose this question in, and you lucky folks won!)

NoobLord
03-10-2015, 03:56
Advanced Squad Leader. My Frostgrave project is not yet tabletop ready.

Lars Porsenna
03-10-2015, 04:21
I picked up a copy of Warlord not long after AoS dropped. Figured if skirmish fantasy games are the "wave of the future" I might as well support a company that interacts with their customers. IMHO it's OK, though the figures are fabulous (as one would expect from Reaper). There is a demo game scenario in the back with a list of figures for Dwarves and Undead ("Necropolis") that I started to collect but stalled due to needs to support our D&D campaign with minis...

Damon.

Laniston
03-10-2015, 05:51
Been playing Frostgrave, though my group has been playing Infinity (I just haven't played it much in 2 weeks).

zoggin-eck
03-10-2015, 09:44
So... out of morbid curiosity, has anyone taken a look at Reaper's Warlord?

I've chickened out of buying Warlord so many times it isn't funny (mostly just because postage for a book to Australia is always so much). I know it has its fans and you see people distraught over how poorly Reaper advertise it, with no effort at all in promoting it. People were shocked each time they did their Bones Kickstarters and didn't add a PDF version as an add-on/goal.

Funnily enough, I got a copy of their earlier "Dark Heaven Apocalypse" rules not long ago. I believe it's quite similar. What put me off the current 2nd edition Warlord is the lack of a unit-builder (although 1st edition apparently had it?) but this game certainly does.

MLP
03-10-2015, 13:03
I've played more games of AoS since its release than games of warhammer in the past year. Also more painting and modelling than I previously would have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

big squig
06-10-2015, 01:33
Just KoW, Saga, and home-brew 40k for me at this point

gerth.hansen1
06-10-2015, 08:48
Played a few games of 8th and one game of aos but that was rigth after release

Wollopa_W
06-10-2015, 09:55
Mostly rol games for me, (D&D, Cthulhu, etc...) and a little campaign of Necromunda (love this game)

Princey
06-10-2015, 10:39
been playing lots and lots of x-wing, mainly epic games with the gr-75 transport.

muiz_void
08-10-2015, 02:52
Aos with azyr comp....had a blast!!

Odin
09-10-2015, 18:04
Guild Ball. Can't say enough good things about this game. By all accounts it is going like a rocket too... it was only released 5 months ago but player numbers are going through the roof. Every demo I've given has resulted in a new player coming on board. Seriously, do yourselves a favour and check out the rules (free online), and have a go with the cardboard cutout minis - the real ones are incredible but the cutouts are great for trying it out.

MLP
09-10-2015, 19:57
Playing quite a few games of AoS with uk independent pool system. A fair amount of bloodbowl. Got an AoS tournament in November which I'm really looking forward to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duffybear1988
14-10-2015, 12:44
Frostgrave, Guildball, Xwing, Warmahordes

CountUlrich
14-10-2015, 15:02
Malifaux (AMAZING game, great company), and Kings of War.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

ewar
14-10-2015, 15:26
8th edition for me, had some great games with my wood elves over the weekend preparing for a tournament I'm November.

Painting a lot of 40k too, but no playing.

Claymore
14-10-2015, 23:11
Some blood bowl and some of us dusted off our old Epic space marine armies frist time playing that in over a decade.

Soundwave
14-10-2015, 23:29
8th edition, blood bowl and trying out the 9th age. It has been fun and enjoying it all.

stroller
16-10-2015, 10:41
AoS , 8th Fantasy, 40K, X Wing, Battlegroup, Dungeon Saga, an unnamed Star Wars game, Zombies. Going to a wargames fair with participation games did up the ante a bit....