PDA

View Full Version : black orcs

Easygrin
14-10-2015, 10:57
Do black orcs also have big uns? Do they grow bigger and stronger same as normal orcs.

unwanted
14-10-2015, 13:53
Yes, but then they're in boss-territory I'd say.

Easygrin
17-10-2015, 10:32
So basically if they grow into big uns the current boss will have to kill them off so they won't be a threat to their position?

Urgat
18-10-2015, 16:50
Black orc big bosses are basically your equivalent of the black orc big'uns. And yeah, fluff has (had) that black orcs that joined a tribe usually swiftly took control.

jet_palero
19-10-2015, 03:51
So basically if they grow into big uns the current boss will have to kill them off so they won't be a threat to their position?

He wouldn't kill them unless they picked the fight and challenged him. He wouldn't do so pre-emptively.

Urgat
19-10-2015, 21:37
He would if he expected trouble. Black orcs are somewhat mopre cunning than regular orcs.

Col. Tartleton
20-10-2015, 19:37
Which is the problem with Grimgor. He's obtuse even for an Orc which makes him a poor archetype Black Orc compared to the Brutally Cunning Morglum Neck Snapper.
Black Orcs are Uruk Hai. Tall, (almost) black skinned, strong, smart, disciplined, and well equipped. As DJ and part time Orc Boss Kaled always says: WE DA BEST!

Easygrin
04-01-2016, 19:21
Didn't Grimgor Snap the neck snappers neck? I'd Say Grimgor is the best because he the best of both kinds of orc stronger and more martial advanced than any black orc and more brutal and savage than any other orc. As He says Grimgor is da best

snyggejygge
04-01-2016, 19:23
Grimgor has no brain, most boring orc ever....

Ayin
04-01-2016, 19:28
Didn't Grimgor Snap the neck snappers neck? I'd Say Grimgor is the best because he the best of both kinds of orc stronger and more martial advanced than any black orc and more brutal and savage than any other orc. As He says Grimgor is da best

He WOULD be the best of both kinds of orcs...except he doesn't embody any of the increased discipline or cunning that makes Black Orcs different than their regular Orc counterparts. He's just a better Orc. That's it. Just more fighty, more fist to face-y. The End Times pretty much portrayed him perfectly, almost like the Incredible Hulk of Warhammer.

If my memory serves me, Big'Uns are basically (normal) Orcs who have gained a fair amount of combat experience and are now veterans. Their bonuses (which you get when you upgrade a unit to Big'uns) pretty much put that unit on par stat-wise with Black Orcs. By that, I would think it reasonable to say that Black Orcs might not HAVE the Big'un role in their forces, or better said, are entirely composed of Big'uns themselves, having either already weeded out the weak (no "basic orc" level Big'un survives) or having been bred to not have that earlier stage of developement. It would likely be more correct to have a unit of NORMAL Orc Big'uns represent young and inexperienced Black Orcs.

Just my opinion of course.

Ayin
04-01-2016, 19:32
Grimgor has no brain, most boring orc ever....

Alternatively, he makes up a perfect half of the Greenskin paradigm, and would have been a great embodiment when matched with Skarsnick.

Col. Tartleton
04-01-2016, 21:57
Morglum Necksnapper was (I think) on the 6th edition cover and thus will always be better. That was one of the iconic pieces of art that drew me into the game.

It certainly looked like him from his mounted artwork.

Urgat
05-01-2016, 17:21
I think you meant 7th ed. It wasn't him, Morglum uses two axes.

Col. Tartleton
06-01-2016, 01:01
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/labibliotecadelviejomundo/images/0/0d/Kaudillo_Orco_en_Jabal%C3%AD_por_Adrian_Smith.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/407?cb=20150411081341&path-prefix=es

Wasn't that him? And if so it looks like the same guy who is on the 6th edition artwork. Except dismounted.

Urgat
06-01-2016, 16:35
Ah, this one, I thought you were talking about the cover. I don't know that there's any reason to believe it's Morglum, I've always thought it was a generic orc boss of some kind.

Col. Tartleton
06-01-2016, 18:50
I think that is meant to be the same guy from the cover. And as such I figured it was a character.

This guy seems to think it was Morglum as well.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/338983
http://www.coolminiornot.com/339464

Arnizipal
06-01-2016, 20:30
If my memory serves me, Big'Uns are basically (normal) Orcs who have gained a fair amount of combat experience and are now veterans. Their bonuses (which you get when you upgrade a unit to Big'uns) pretty much put that unit on par stat-wise with Black Orcs. Stat-wise, an Orc Big'Un is identical to an Orc Boss (but with only a single attack). This shows the Big'Un status as leaders of their own mob of Orcs.
Black Orcs have their own Bosses for their mobs, which implies that a Big'Un rank exists for them.

They only get the +1WS upgrade though. Back in 6th edition Their bosses were full Black Orc Big'uns with WS5 and S5, which made them stronger than regular Orc Big Bosses :eek:

Ah, this one, I thought you were talking about the cover. I don't know that there's any reason to believe it's Morglum, I've always thought it was a generic orc boss of some kind.
He's got the axes (or at least one).
And he's got the bull skull banner pole.
And helm with the massive horns.

Ayin
07-01-2016, 03:00
If it's not they've got enough generic Orcy-ness shared between them to be pretty strong approximations of each other.

And somehow I had completely forgotten that Black Orcs can have unit Champions that (at least used to) have stat mods.

Urgat
07-01-2016, 12:39
Like all the black orcs back then. The bull was a imagery you'd find on all of them, that linked them to the chaos dwarfs. Giant horns, all the orcs had them regardless of kind, and half of them had axes, so... But yeah, sure, if you want him to be Morglum, it's really no skin off my backside, might be you're right anyway :)

Sheena Easton
08-01-2016, 17:43
I think you meant 7th ed. It wasn't him, Morglum uses two axes.

He had an axe and a spiked mace in his 4th Ed (original?) artwork

Urgat
09-01-2016, 08:07
Yep, you're right (man the size of these weapons :p). Two weapons is w/o a doubt a requirement at least.

Col. Tartleton
09-01-2016, 13:31
He never got a new model though, so that could be his new art. :p

Bingo the Fun Monkey
22-01-2016, 15:08
The nostalgia is killing me!

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Mr. CyberPunk
25-01-2016, 05:19
Stat-wise, an Orc Big'Un is identical to an Orc Boss (but with only a single attack). This shows the Big'Un status as leaders of their own mob of Orcs.
Black Orcs have their own Bosses for their mobs, which implies that a Big'Un rank exists for them.

They only get the +1WS upgrade though. Back in 6th edition Their bosses were full Black Orc Big'uns with WS5 and S5, which made them stronger than regular Orc Big Bosses :eek:

Damn, this reminds me of how, when I got back in the hobby after 10 years, I wanted to get rid of Morgulm awful paint job I had done as a kid (I've since learned how to do this with Pine Sol or other products). I foolishly deducted that paint would melt before metal so I deep fried him. He didn't survived the experiment :( Terrible ending for such a gruesome warrior.

Easygrin
26-01-2016, 08:00
Anyway I though I read somewhere that grimgor actually usurped morglum necksnapper and killed him one on one. Like he did the same with the hobgoblin and the ogre

Arnizipal
26-01-2016, 12:33
Anyway I though I read somewhere that grimgor actually usurped morglum necksnapper and killed him one on one. Like he did the same with the hobgoblin and the ogre
Which Hobgoblin and Ogre?

Freak Ona Leash
21-02-2016, 02:31
Which Hobgoblin and Ogre?

It happened sometime in the End Times kerfuffle. Grimgor kills the Hobgobla Khan, and all the hobgoblins join him. Might have been Morcar Khan or Oglah Khan, one of the old special characters for Dogs of War. Can't exactly remember. He also bashed in Greasus Goldtooth's head with his own club, and recruited the Ogres to his WAAAGH.

And he did kill Morglum Necksnappa. Poor bastard.

Arnizipal
21-02-2016, 13:37
End Times background is a bit hit and miss. Much like AoS, I choose to ignore the majority of it ;)

Freak Ona Leash
21-02-2016, 21:31
End Times background is a bit hit and miss. Much like AoS, I choose to ignore the majority of it ;)

I agree wholeheartedly! If anything, Age of Sigmar is the best thing that could've happened. Now all the old background I love is basically frozen in time, and won't get screwed up by GW's current crop of fluff writers.

Easygrin
15-06-2016, 21:22
So seems black orcs are now gone for good and orruks took their place

Arnizipal
15-06-2016, 22:14
Didn't they take the place of all greenskins, not just Black Orcs?

Andnore
15-06-2016, 22:35

Ironjawz took their place. Orruk is the new catch all for Orcs (vanilla, Savage-, and Black-).