PDA

View Full Version : AoS: myths and reality

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Claymore
26-12-2015, 11:47
You're kidding right? There are a bunch of YouTube channels that are producing video batreps for AoS, some of them even post links on Warseer. Tabletopminis.com is one of the better ones, you should check them out.

Last Age of Sigmar Batrap posted on Youtube is from the 14th.

tmod
26-12-2015, 12:01
It's not important but just in case I missed something here. GW = FW = BL so the finances would be in one grouping, wouldn't they? I didn't see a breakdown for BL or FW but I might have missed something. Not arguing, just curious:)

And I absolutely agree with the notion of most sales within the release date unless they are staples, like Rhino, drop pod, etc.

You're right essentially, but you're still missing a detail. FW = GW, but not the GW (Citadel) studio. The report stated they had increased investment in the studio, whereas FW is a different part of the organisation. Unless I'm mistaken the studio is in Nottingham whereas FW is located in London...

Sent fra min GT-I9506 via Tapatalk

Vazalaar
26-12-2015, 12:17
You're right essentially, but you're still missing a detail. FW = GW, but not the GW (Citadel) studio. The report stated they had increased investment in the studio, whereas FW is a different part of the organisation. Unless I'm mistaken the studio is in Nottingham whereas FW is located in London...

I didn't know FW and the design studio weren't in the same building? Are you certain that the FW studio isn't located in Nottingham?

Edit:
As this is the adress Google gives:
Forge World Games Workshop, Willow Rd, Nottingham NG7 2WS, United Kingdom

veterannoob
26-12-2015, 12:18

I may be misunderstanding your question, but the GW HQ in Nottingham is all 3 arms, GW, FW, BL. They are moving more in house and even resuming the use of an old industrial area they once used. If you haven't already and you can ever get to Warhammer World it's amazing. At Bugman's Bar employees from all 3 arms stop in. Not to say it's a meet and greet but it's all at that location, the complex, as it were. Since the renovation of WHW there are amazing displays, the fifth room added HH last month and all those pictures of new legions were posted all over the Internet. But employees work with each other. The BL content editor works on contents for all 3, the jobs posted previously for content writing would work on the entire range as well. Got to play a 30K game with FW Paul Rudge using his studio Death Guard. At Convention Secundus that same weekend as BaC release authors had nice informal panels since there were only 20 of us there so one of the things we had the privilege to find out more about is BL and FW projects, expansion, and "synergy" with the other 2 arms.

These guys on staff are fully aware that there are claims that they are not all the same company, even the products differ as they move towards the end goal of money money money. If you get to WHW because it's so magical and impressive for the hobbyist in you, and the staffers you can talk to in the three stores and should you chat with a guy in Bugman's you get to see the hobbyist who enjoy making models and playing games, the real side to the company which unfortunately gets overshadowed by the management team who implements plans and rules which earn some ire, justifiably so;)

Vazalaar
26-12-2015, 12:22
@Veterannoob, I really enjoy reading your posts it is refreshing. You certainly know a lot about GW and other miniature companies! Didn't I read somewhere that you have a blog?

veterannoob
26-12-2015, 12:39
@Veterannoob, I really enjoy reading your posts it is refreshing. You certainly know a lot about GW and other miniature companies! Didn't I read somewhere that you have a blog?

Thanks, hope the posts aren't too long;) there's a lot of great info is forum and quite informative. I've learned much in the last 752 posts, like, for real. It's a nice snap shot of the global gaming community.

I co-host a weekly wargaming podcast called Combat Phase which is available on iTunes. Episodes currently drop on Sunday nights since I'm now 6 hours ahead of the east coast. Sadly, Robert, the other guy who owns like every game ever (seriously, he's super informative and we make a good team; he's the encyclopedia and occasional detractor and I'm the fluffy airhead gamer) isn't always so quick to update the episode guide on www.combatphase.com. Our only goal is to grow the hobby and get resources out to our listeners.

Episodes are about 1-1.5 hours and we cover the hobby, although much attention is on GW or Privateer Press games. Episode titles are clear so you can ignore topics you don't care for. A lot of listeners don't play all these games but listen to just get informed. We need to resurrect the Wall o' Wonder. We are mostly well-known for the BL author interviews. We had WFB Bookclub but after End Times moved on to groupings. You can have a look at episode titles but, for example, we covered all of the End Times novels with the authors (since we can get many authors on now as long as they are not GW "staff") except Josh Reynolds who could not do an interview. But I had Graham McNeill on for this new model which seems to be successful of author talks the fluff and a hobbyist discusses how to bring that to your tabletop. So Graham McNeill talked his Kislev books. We did Grey Knights recently, two authors on. We will be covering TheBeast Arises this year with a show on each book before the next drops.

anyway, that's a lot of info, sorry:) but if you like have a look and maybe you'll find a few episodes you might want to listen to.

Herzlos
26-12-2015, 13:41
They do have more battlereports if you go through their homepage or their channel.

The numbers of views is quite interesting.

Their first AoS battlereport on releaseday; 4th of July is up over 50k views so far and the second has gathered almost 12k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zr-M11E8Cg 4 juli 2015 - 56k Views
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6pCmPgwUOQ 9 juli 2015 - 12k Views

Episode 3 is down to 4,5k views and the more recent episodes seems to stabilized it's numbers of views around around 4-6k; with the later ones currently having 3000 views or less and a report in August for example (three way aelf/duardin/skaven) having almost 8k views .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crMibIvMG0g 14 july 2015 - 4,5k Views
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5w6aoxWC1M 20 aug 2015 - 7,7k Views
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqQrXJkAW6k 1 okt. 2015 - 5,5k Views
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfuxAV1Yatw 5 dec 2015 - 3k Views

Thats pretty interesting. Fits in with the google figures; lots of interest around launch wihilst presumably people try to find out about it, and then a great drop off.

Mind you, a stable 3k views per video isn't bad per se, so quite a lot of people are still interested. Maybe those 3k fans are enough to keep the game going until GW can sort it?

tmod
26-12-2015, 13:45
I didn't know FW and the design studio weren't in the same building? Are you certain that the FW studio isn't located in Nottingham?

Edit:
As this is the adress Google gives:
Forge World Games Workshop, Willow Rd, Nottingham NG7 2WS, United Kingdom

No I'm not, I might have gotten this wrong. I'm sure I recently read they kept different locations, but that might very well be outdated info.

I'm sure they used to keep FW and Citadel separated in the financial report, but they might have stopped that when they changed the format of the reports a few years back. I THINK they're still separate in the reports, but I could be wrong, and won't check it during a family dinner...

Sorry for any confusion! :-)

Zywus
26-12-2015, 14:37
Thats pretty interesting. Fits in with the google figures; lots of interest around launch wihilst presumably people try to find out about it, and then a great drop off.

Mind you, a stable 3k views per video isn't bad per se, so quite a lot of people are still interested. Maybe those 3k fans are enough to keep the game going until GW can sort it?I have no hope GW will ever sort out AoS. It seems to become worse with every new release.

3k people is hardly enough to keep the game afloat but the people watching tabletopminis battlereports is hardly the only people playing the game. There are other channels having more viewers over all, though I suspect most have seen similar drops in attendance for AoS.

veterannoob
26-12-2015, 14:47
I have no hope GW will ever sort out AoS. It seems to become worse with every new release.

3k people is hardly enough to keep the game afloat but the people watching tabletopminis battlereports is hardly the only people playing the game. There are other channels having more viewers over all, though I suspect most have seen similar drops in attendance for AoS.

@Zywus how is the Gaming scene in Uppsala? I'm in Umeň studying and there's a nice group of about 160+ miniwargamers across the range of games. The local club and store is trying to get AoS going. They have a younger crowd coming in for demos and bring-in battles, but it's certainly not where we'd like it to be;) Was there ever any breath in AoS or is it moving up or down, or not at all? Heh.

the Fanatic in September had a split AoS and 8th Ed, with AoS having more players. I'm not sure, I believe the TO is waiting to see interest and where the game is at to announce which GW fantasy game will be at the April Fanatic. They said a huge chunk of the few 8th Ed players came from Denmark. That's pretty cool that they traveled that far up.

Lexington
26-12-2015, 21:19
yeah, Infinity seems to be taking off. Does your group connect with the WI or IL gamers at all?
To varying extents, yep. A bunch of us are road tripping to WAAAGHPaca next month, and I know there's some connections between our people and the Adeptus Windy City group, especially with Adepticon.

Spiney Norman
26-12-2015, 23:43
I have watched 2 of their Battle reports in neither of which i thought the battle was particularly interesting (high elves vs skaven and order vs Chaos). Both were very lobsoded and a bit meh imo. That said if one was to look for an AOS report i would still recommend them as i think they are professionally shot and i love the Chaos Dreadhold which they use.

I am sure they have done better/closer reports than the 2 i watched. Which in your opinion Spiney is the best of their reports to watch which best sells the AOS experience?

I hope they continue to do AOS reports and showcase their fantastic table, scenery and minis.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Their last two AoS reports have been pretty well balanced as they've started using a comp pack to design their forces (I'm not sure they were even trying to balance their forces before, more just trying to get a feel for the game). Since they have been using the SDK points system the games have been much better balanced and less predictable. I still find myself screaming things like "that unit can't charge because it has already run!" at the screen from time to time ;)

https://youtu.be/O6yX6XIq5Wc is a good one

GrandmasterWang
27-12-2015, 01:54
Cheers for that Spiney. I'll check it out

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

veterannoob
27-12-2015, 09:26
To varying extents, yep. A bunch of us are road tripping to WAAAGHPaca next month, and I know there's some connections between our people and the Adeptus Windy City group, especially with Adepticon.
Enjoy Paca. I got to go only once before the region caps for tickets was implemented, but it's a blast. :)

veterannoob
27-12-2015, 10:22
From what I've seen, it doesn't make for an interesting viewing experience, either. Sort of like baseball, except baseball is fun when you play it. One I saw had 100 wounds of Empire versus 100 wounds of Lizardmen, and demonstrated pretty well why using wounds isn't a good enough balancing mechanism. The Lizardmen got a turn, followed by the Empire getting two turns back-to-back and nearly tabling the Lizardmen, at which point the Lizardmen player conceded before he even had a second turn. Despite using wounds as a balancing mechanism, the two armies clearly weren't balanced, with the Empire army clearly superior. And the balance disparity was compounded by the Empire being able to get two turns in a row and just mashing the Lizardmen without the Lizardmen being able to offer any answer in return. I have to say, if I were playing that game I would've been beyond angry. You go through the trouble of collecting an army, painting it, assembling it, learning the rules, getting a game together, putting together a list, deploying on the table, only to get a single turn in before having to throw in the towel? For that you may as well stay at home and watch Netflix.

Agreed. Fantasy battles was more of a visual experience to draw the eye IMO. Not that AoS doesn't rock the Goliath models now but at the stores, event battles at a convention or special event or even demo games pulled more traffic to come inside or over to see the game because of the mass battles, big models, lots of excitement. 40K has had that effect at the same instances as above for me, the giant models draw the potential customer's eye. AoS wasn't as fun for me to watch and YouTube batreps lose some of the magic for me personally. Maybe watching some friends play will do it.

Zywus
27-12-2015, 20:09
@Zywus how is the Gaming scene in Uppsala? I'm in Umeň studying and there's a nice group of about 160+ miniwargamers across the range of games. The local club and store is trying to get AoS going. They have a younger crowd coming in for demos and bring-in battles, but it's certainly not where we'd like it to be;) Was there ever any breath in AoS or is it moving up or down, or not at all? Heh.
I'm afraid I have very little knowledge of the gaming scene in Uppsala despite living there for quite a while. I never brought any army there while studying and mostly painted the odd model here and there; so I never really got into the gaming scene.