PDA

View Full Version : Games Day Costume

teh_soldier
10-07-2006, 11:30
Well, i guess this is the right forum, and i couldnt get the search function to work.

I fancy going as an Inquisitor to GD UK, but i cant find anything on the internet that would help me. I have only found 2 deacent pictures of Inquisitors, no costumes, no guides, nothing.
Can anyone help me?
Thanks.

Pilgrimsp
10-07-2006, 12:41
I was thinking of going as an Orge wearing nothing more than a loin cloth.

Sleazy
10-07-2006, 12:44
ummm, try pics from previous games Days, theres always pics shown in WD.

are you SURE you wanna do that though? I accept that this hobby is somewhat geeky, i laugh and mock my geeky side (as does my gf - mercilessly!), but dude, you are about to cross a line akin to cross dressing. besides Cosplay sucks.

Hideous Loon
10-07-2006, 12:49
It all depends on two things: Are you ready to make some of the clothing yourself (or pay outrageous amounts of money for it), and how deep do you want to go in the Inquisitor role? I fancy that a creepy Witch Hunter, like Gideon Lorr, would be a really good choice, mainly because their outfits are generally close to what we wear today.

There are rules I think you need to follow, to get the "Which Hunter" point across. A basic outfit is a long coat, leather or otherwise, high boots, a fancy shirt of some sort (crouching looks really good), leather gloves, a floppy hat and pants of your own choosing (no denim though). And of course a big =][= somewhere on your persona.

After that, you can elaborate as far as you want to, including a monocle (sp?), purity seals (don't overdo it) and small mechanical trinkets that you pick up studiously. A nice addition that you can try is not to bring any kind of bag whatsoever, but instead carry everything you bring or purchase in pockets, waistbags and so forth.

Well, that's about it. Wassit helpful?

EDIT: Concerning the Ogre-idea: Don't, unless you're very obese, very hairy and very tall. Ogres are about seven and a half feet tall, and five feet wide (sorta). You'd look rather spindly if you went as something that was meant to tower over everyone else. Of course, if it's just for a gag, then go ahead.

teh_soldier
10-07-2006, 13:23
~Sleazy: You shouldn't say stuff like "Cosplay sucks" because people do enjoy it, and to some being a geek doesnt matter (i for one don't care that people think that i am a geek, as i enjoy the hobby).

~Hideous Loon: I have a full summer off, so painting my Golden Demon Entry and a Costume will be filling my time. I already have a full-length leater coat, and my mother and grandmother are very good at sewing/making costumes (they made me a full Power Rangers costume full my 6th Birthday, it was awsome).
I think the Witch Hunter idea is much better than the Inquisitor, so i'm gonan go for that. The bag things sound like a great idea, and i have black leather boots i can wear, along with my leather coat. What kind of shirt do you mean? Aldo, i have some long black combat trousers/pants that i can change to suit the needs. As for mechanical trinkits, my Dad is an welder, so our garage is full of every kind of metal and tool you can think of, so i think i can get some really cool things made up. The monacule is a definite!

EDIT: Anyone know where GD staff stand on "weapons"? I'm pretty sure i read they take all metal objects off people, so i think sword-wise it would have to be plastic-type thing.

TeddyC
10-07-2006, 13:37
Sorry, I always thought that people that dress up for for Games Days were the biggest losers imaginable. Especially those that do it seriously.

slaaneshes_own
10-07-2006, 14:37
Like GD '04! Me and my brother and a couple of lads we'd travelled up with on the bus were queueing up, and this guy was basically acting like an Empire Warrior Priest, shouting and yelling and glorifying Sigmar, and generally being Empire-y. The whole thing was spoilt by the fact that he had a fag in one hand, and a skimpily dressed Dark Elf Witch-type character hanging onto his other arm.......

And I put people who dress up like that on the same evolutionary ladder as LARPers - no, just NO!!!

Joe

Ulfhedin
10-07-2006, 17:26
Okay, this thread seems to be degenerating into a 'Cosplay/LARP' sucks rather than genuine help for someone who has asked a perfectly straightforward question.

GW will not allow you to bring real weapons into the arena, however, LARP latex weapons or a converted laspistol (as long as its not built around a real gun) should be fine.

Give Che Webster or Brian Aderson a call at UK events to be sure. Switchboard is 0115 916 8000 - as to speak to either of them.

Hideous Loon
10-07-2006, 20:11
teh_soldier: So, you've got the summer off, you say? Groovy, you've got plenty of time to plan your costume. Don't hesitate to PM me if you need advice, I'll reply as soon as I can. Now, onto detailed advicery:

Seeing as you've already got the expensive clothes, the coat, the pants (which would work magnificently as a Witch Hunter) and the boots, you can focus on the details.

You're even luckier since your father works with chunks of metal, he could bring something home that'd look remotely like an =][=, or even make one for you, if you ask him nicely. It could be a necklace, or a belt buckle, or even a hat decoration. As for colour, don't go the gold route, go plain metal, it looks much nicer, less blingy, especially if you make it a necklace.

As for tools, try to take something that looks like torture tools, excruciators or whatever they call them over then. Small tongs, a wee hammer, that kind of stuff. (For more funnyness, hold one in your hand, weighing it thoughtfully, looking at some guy in the crowd, as if you're going to bang him over the head.) If you have a Palm Pilot, or bulky mobile, bring that, and take it out and toy with it.

I was talking about something like this (http://x-tra-x.com/bilder/artikel/09297.jpg), by the way.

That's all for now, godspeed!

Lostanddamned
10-07-2006, 21:04
If you pull this off I will be impressed.

Like that security guard who was fully decked out as a IG stormtrooper last year.

then again I would like to become a member of the 501st, but I am a "little tall for a stormtrooper"

GamesmasterZ
10-07-2006, 21:12
I'm only going to help so they'll take a picture and put it on the Gamesday site. I shall laugh. A merry time will be had by all.

Anyway.

Get a Duster, the thing the cowboys used to wear. It looks industrial and such enough to pass for the coat, plus it has lots o' pockets and can be worn when you're not being a geek.

Get black clothing and a cuirass. I know it may seem pricey(Or maybe not, I don't really care.), but it will look cool.

Belt, pouches, saber, etc.

And a floppy hat, kind of like Van Helsing.

It is complete.

Andrew-

marv335
10-07-2006, 21:49
i may go as a witch elf.
(i'm a 220Lb 6' tall hairy scotsman)
it'll be funny
:D

Tooooon
11-07-2006, 09:51
Im considering Cypher.... A cool hood, duel pistols, a sword on your ass area (sitting down will be a pain) :D

cookiescrumble
11-07-2006, 14:04
Remember that warrior priest guy, we walked past and he shouted "Smite Portsmouth." So all 60 of us stopped, pointed and laughed at him.

McMullet
11-07-2006, 16:03
If you happen to find a good Witch Hunter's hat for an OK price, I'd like to know where you got it.

The one I have is OK at best, I look like more of a witch-perturber than a witch hunter.

teh_soldier
11-07-2006, 17:15
McMullet~ I'm going to try and find a hat based on teh reacent Van Helsing (Hugh Jackman) film, as the hats are almost identical. I think those will be easier to find than a Witch Hunter hat.

Edit: Anyone know where to find the hat? Or what to search for to find it?

Emperor's Grace
14-07-2006, 17:57
I believe McCall's has a hat pattern that would suit.

It's a "cavalier" type.

It's in their Renaissance Basic's or something line. You get four patterns in one pouch.

Remember that inquisitor's are disparate in appearance and often use disguise.

As long as you have the credentials...

McMullet
14-07-2006, 18:08
McMullet~ I'm going to try and find a hat based on teh reacent Van Helsing (Hugh Jackman) film, as the hats are almost identical. I think those will be easier to find than a Witch Hunter hat.

That's exactly the hat I wanted... :D

Sadly the only decent one I can find is a genuine replica of the one in the movie that costs around $350.... :(

I ended up getting one of these (http://www.agradi.nl/product?sc=Hoeden+%26+Petten&hc=Boer+%26+Ruiter&pid=9100140&ssc=Hoeden) as a stand in.

It's not perfect, I found the crown was too low and the brim is too curved and stiff to be fully witch-huntery. Still, it's a nice enough hat and quite practical as it's made from waterproof oilskin. Only £25 as well.

3 0f 6
14-07-2006, 21:47
i was planning on dressing up like my dark eldar wyche army for the gt, but, um, i think id get a tad cold in how my army looks

vampking111
22-07-2006, 16:14
Sounds, cool, I was intendtinf to go in costume as a Commisar to Gamesday.

I'm making a replica Fullsize Lasgun (With detactable mags, and spares.) I have a leather trenchcoat and a black peaked cap, non-military and just plan on moulding some carapace armour for under my jacket.

It's either that or make a life size thunder/daemon hammer and go as a Deamon hunter Inquisitor.

Lucky for me Camden is a small train ride away, to the land of outlandish gothic wear.

teh_soldier
22-07-2006, 17:10
Checked with GW Staff, NO weapons are allowed in as far as they know.
Something to do with people in replica Army uniforms and others with replica weapons running about the place...

Xavier
22-07-2006, 17:18
i may go as a witch elf.
it'll be funny

I Dare you.

swordwind
28-07-2006, 21:39
I intend to go as a Cadian Shock Trooper. I'm gonna use Carboard (yeah I know, sad, sad, sad) with polyfiller over to give it some thickness and get rid of that cardboardy grain. I may leave it as bare cardboard though as a sick joke like the Lost in Space sketch "Hey this is made of cardboard!" "Yeah, dont worry though, the bullets stop when they hit your bones". Any ideas on how to make or buy the shoulder pads? I was thinking those gardening knee protectors seeing as they already have straps and whatnot, just file off any ridges or markings and paint IG colours.

Aye? Nay? I'll be packing some "civvies" aswell though, just in case. Also I double dare you :)

Splagbot
28-07-2006, 22:29
i may go as a witch elf.
it'll be funny

I double dare you.

Cpt. Drill
29-07-2006, 00:25
I might go to gamesday just to see that sight!

Please let there be internet pictures!

In all fairness do you think you would be asked to leave? or given an overcoat or something?

Luke
29-07-2006, 08:05
My two pence:

Cosplay only sucks when players cobble together a rough outfit that only vaguley represents their subject. Example (GD UK) we see plenty of skinny geeks walking around in army fatigues with bandanas and facepaint and random bits of plastic weaponry. They look pretty much like they are ready for a day out paintballing, not abut to shoot Space orks in the far flung 41st century.

If you want to be taken seriously, you should pick an actual studio eavy metal miniature (ie something that is well known and pretty much ingrained) and make a damn perfect exact copy of it. No little embellishments, no cheesy extras. If you are going to do it, go the full hog or not at all. Otherwise you end up looking like some emo in a long trenchcoat with a wooden chainsword and new rock boots "I am teh Commisar ftw!11!!OMG"

I always thought that fantasy was the best place to start. There are a lot of medieval re-enactors out there. Why dont we see some pret peasants? (look at all the gorgeous new fantasy armour, gorgets and the like) and some landskecht looking empire billmen (sorry, halberdiers) ?

If I can think of a good theme before september, I'm gonna go as something, but I really am going to have to make sure its a fine replica of an actual GW mini, colours and all. Hell, I could even make myself a giant round base and texture it. So i could stand there in the middle of the arena and pretend I am a GIGANTIC miniature :p

swordwind
31-07-2006, 15:36
I did consider going as the Shadow Warrior from the Mark of Chaos trailer. Then I discovered that it costs £300 for replica armour on top of the cost of the cloak, tunic, boots, sword, bow etc etc. So cardboard and filler flak armour it is! I will however be taking that colourchart in the back of the How to Paint Citadel Miniatures book to B&Q and getting them to scan and mix a large batch of Catachan Green to ensure "authenticity". I would use GW's actual paints but at £2 its not economical for a full vest, shoulder pads, helmet and shin guards.

I was also going to go as a Valhallan. But then common sense caught up with me and I realised wearing a big heavy winter coat in september isnt a very good idea...

Jedi152
31-07-2006, 15:39
Otherwise you end up looking like some emo in a long trenchcoat with a wooden chainsword and new rock boots "I am teh Commisar ftw!11!!OMG"
You mean like Chris Bone used to do? :D

Seriously, the guy was paid to go to GD dressed up as a commisar.

MacVurrich
31-07-2006, 16:15

Any good
http://www.spookycostume.com/products/adult_deluxe_van_helsing_costume.htm

Xhalax
05-08-2006, 01:57
If I had time, money and talent.....I'd definitely be crazy and go dressed up. But the costume would have to be Grade A brilliant and actually look like its supposed to.

But lamentably I'm lacking in all three. And what little money I have is going on a custom made dress for a fancy dress party for my birthday in the next year or so and the dress isn't 40K. So I'm stuck there too.

However, knowing me and my stupidity....after the party is over it'll just be a month or so til GD UK and I'd want my money's worth out of the dress so I'd do something as crazy as wearing at least the dress to GD. Add in a couple of fangs and I could possibly pass as a rather gothic Lahmians vampire (though some people would recognise the style of the dress and sell me out).

Though I'd have to add one more thing to that costume.....a hammer of some kind to hit people staring down my cleavage. The main disadvantage to being short and female in the world of male wargamers.

Xavier
05-08-2006, 07:43
Why dont you go as your idea from last year? or failing that... a witch elf...

Xhalax
05-08-2006, 22:10
Nah. That costume got lost with the exception of the corset. Though I thought I had lost that and went utterly nuts to the state of nearly having a fit as it cost me over £80 for it.

But we'll have to see. It would appear that once again circumstances have occured that has and will put a downer on time around GD. So I doubt I'll be in the right mood.

Though you never know.....I could turn up in my corset. There's still over a month to go.

n00bLord
06-08-2006, 06:06
If I actually had the need or want I would dress up as a grueling broth of biomass. Seriously. No one would expect it.

Luke
06-08-2006, 07:09
The saddest costume I ever saw was this skinny 12 year old wearing nothing but a pair of prown shorts. He was painted green and had a green witches nose and elf ears and he carried a broom handle with a cardboard spear tip.

Hats off to the ingenuity, 8 out of 10 for that. Though I give him an overalll score of 3 because it was seriously badly done. I think he had a brown cape as well.

neXus6
06-08-2006, 07:26
I had a good laugh reading the Games Day information about Costumes.
If they do 100% follow their own rules next to nothing is allowed. :p

Gen.Steiner
09-08-2006, 19:12
The Germans do the best GD Cosplaying.

Don't believe me? Look at this, then, and say I'm wrong (http://www.epic-battles.de/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=10135#10135). You'll have to scroll past the pics of FW fighters, but it's worth it for the 12 indentured Cadians, their truck, Inquisitor, and the Battle Sister.

An interesting idea would be to just make an Inquisitorial Mandate. Then go in normal clothes, and walk up to the people in full cossie, look at them for a bit, then yell "HERETIC SCUM! I SENTENCE YOU TO DEATH IN THE NAME OF THE GOD-EMPEROR!" before brandishing your Mandate.

You could use the same technique to get yourself a bunch of Stormtroopers/Guardsmen to follow you around. :D

ThousandPlateaus
10-08-2006, 00:32
*Sigh*
Ich liebe die DeutscheVolks.
They always take everything to such perfect extremes... Those pictures are genius, thanks General.

Dspankdo
10-08-2006, 18:26
there are very few things that i won't dress up as in this world, i'll put on chicken costumes, dresses, my birthday suit. but making a costume for your favourite 40k or fantasy charachter then parading it around in public, that really is taking a bit far

Gen.Steiner
10-08-2006, 18:33
Not really. I mean, it's essentially like the various re-enactment groups (don't ****** with the Sealed Knot or they'll come round your house and fire a cannonade into it :p) - except with future stuff. Besides, we play toy soldiers. We're already pretty sad people. :)

If I could make the stuff, I'd go as a Karaboudjani Kataphraktoi... but then again they wouldn't let me into GD!

Tanith Ghost
12-08-2006, 04:46
Sounds, cool, I was intendtinf to go in costume as a Commisar to Gamesday.

I'm making a replica Fullsize Lasgun (With detactable mags, and spares.) I have a leather trenchcoat and a black peaked cap, non-military and just plan on moulding some carapace armour for under my jacket.

It's either that or make a life size thunder/daemon hammer and go as a Deamon hunter Inquisitor.

Lucky for me Camden is a small train ride away, to the land of outlandish gothic wear.

Funny you should say so.

Imagine my surprise when I googled 'Commisar' one day and found my own likeness on the GW website under 'GD 05 coverage'.

Go for the Commisar getup. And bring no weapon, but an uplifting primer, like I did.:D

Gen.Steiner
12-08-2006, 10:05
Read from your IIUP at random intervals and in a loud voice. Admonish the crowd for heresy. Stand by the sales bits and chant the hymns of protection at people buying anything that's not Imperial. :D

ArtificerArmour
12-08-2006, 11:24
You've all missed the commisar I posted a while back.

Best one I've seen...

Gen.Steiner
12-08-2006, 11:25
I had missed it. The uniform is spot on, the chainsword is waaaay too large though!

ArtificerArmour
12-08-2006, 11:39
In 40K, nothings too large :p

Gen.Steiner
12-08-2006, 11:40
It is if you fall over trying to swing it. :p

my_name_is_tudor
12-08-2006, 16:07
*Sigh*
Ich liebe die DeutscheVolks.
They always take everything to such perfect extremes... Those pictures are genius, thanks General.

How much you wanna bet that every one of them had the Infantryman's Uplifting Primer tucked into his fatigues somewhere.. They are just spot on, and look at the face on that Inquisitor, surveying his troops. Marvelous.. makes me want to get into cosplay, lol.

I once had the idea of trying to convince GW to let me set up a Warp Artefacts-style sub company dedicated to making armour and costumes for 40k. Starting out with Cadian gear, and then branching out into all the variants, and over time Xenos stuff.. I even worked on plans for a space marine suit, and figured out how the shoes of a Tau Firewarrior would work..

Too much time on my hands.. haha

ThousandPlateaus
12-08-2006, 16:18
Heh, cool!
I'd buy hoof-y TauShoes from you!
I hate the Tau, but hooves would be well cool!

DeathMasterSnikch
12-08-2006, 19:28
My god is that commisar wearing mutilated soldier 95s?! THAT is heresy.

Steel_Legion
12-08-2006, 23:17
anyone know anywhere that sells empire-style armour/arms (real), seems best place to ask

Gen.Steiner
14-08-2006, 14:33
My god is that commisar wearing mutilated soldier 95s?! THAT is heresy.

No. Nothing he's wearing in any way remotely resembles Soldier '95, '98 or 2000.

Even his cam-cloak is in US pattern camo. :p

srg.cutter
19-06-2007, 15:43
Well, i guess this is the right forum, and i couldnt get the search function to work.

I fancy going as an Inquisitor to GD UK, but i cant find anything on the internet that would help me. I have only found 2 deacent pictures of Inquisitors, no costumes, no guides, nothing.
Can anyone help me?
Thanks.
ok the problem with inquisitor is they are very broad in definition in that the dont have a uniform or set weapons (none too specific anyway) so you have a few choices you can go for a well known inquisitor or you can go over the top and cheezzy so everyone can see your in a cosplay parody thing(not something i would reccomend) as for the costume itself you can make it witht he same materials as warrhammer terrain just on a different scale and with some fabric thrown in