PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Mordheim rules

FallenGnome
22-03-2016, 15:40
Question 1: My captain have had bad luck. He has madness -> frenzied, but he has also madness -> stupidity. What is the order of effects? Does stupidity override frenzied rules or vice versa?

Question 2: When trying to roll spell's difficulty test, is it already counted as casting the spell? Because if difficulty test gets failed it means model didn't cast the spell. So model can't shoot when casting spell, but can he shoot if this difficulty test is failed?

MasterSparks
22-03-2016, 23:22
Hello FallenGnome.

1) The rules for frenzy says that once within charge range the model will be immune to all other psychology. This means that your captain will have to test for stupidity until he's within his charge range to an enemy and from there on he'll be immune.

2) The rules for casting spells says that a wizard that "wants to" cast a spell cannot use a missile weapon in the same turn. "Wants to" should cover both failure and success with casting, so both will prevent him from using another weapon in the same turn.

FallenGnome
23-03-2016, 08:06
Hi MasterSparks!

Thank you for reply. Frenzy / Stupidity makes sense now, thanks.

However, the spell casting thing question me a bit.
There is mention about using spell and casting spell, which I think is different, because first; "To use a spell, the wizard must roll equal to or greater than the spell's difficulty score on 2D6." After this, wiz may cast if he wishes.
And second part for limitation; "A wizard may cast one spell per turn and may not use missile weapons if he wants to cast a spell." There is wants to cast a spell, not wants to use a spell. So if test is failed, wiz can't cast even if he wants to, so restriction above is only for (difficulty test = passed) casting.
So if these use and cast are same thing, then this is solved too and I forget this nonsense. :)

MasterSparks
23-03-2016, 10:55
The rules are sadly not written clearly enough to give a 100% guaranteed answer. You will have to come to a conclusion with your other players how you should handle this. In my opinion it's clear that the wizard must choose to either try to cast a spell (and either fail or succeed) or use a missile weapon, not both in the same phase.

thomas_spancic
26-03-2016, 19:47
If a mutant with 3 arms is armed with a spear and shield can he/she wield an additional weapon?

zebedeybeans
29-03-2016, 04:46
I have another question, I made this account to ask this question:
If I have a unit specific weapon in my Warband (Ball and chain, which is specific to fanatics in Night Goblins), give it to the unit that can take it, that unit dies and one of my heroes with Weapons training picks it up can he use it?

Tarrell
29-03-2016, 06:09
To the mutant with 3 arms, No he cannot take an additional weapon; the extra appendage grants him +1 attack to his profile if I remember correctly, while a tentacle is a -1 for the attack profile from 1 model he is engaged to in base to base combat with.

Second question: Does he have the exotic weapons training perk? Odds are he shouldn't but if you did he would be susceptible to the same rules of a fanatic and odds are will fly into a wall and kill himself, while very funny thats the end of your hero.

FallenGnome
19-04-2016, 06:05
Question: Possessed unit can't take any weapons, so does his attacks counted as fists? If do, can this be avoid by taking two great claws for example?

JayeL
24-04-2016, 21:09
I have another question, I made this account to ask this question:
If I have a unit specific weapon in my Warband (Ball and chain, which is specific to fanatics in Night Goblins), give it to the unit that can take it, that unit dies and one of my heroes with Weapons training picks it up can he use it?

My understanding is that when a model dies then all his equipment is lost, so a hero wouldn't be allowed to pick it up. I could be wrong though.

blackcherry
25-04-2016, 11:03
Question: Possessed unit can't take any weapons, so does his attacks counted as fists? If do, can this be avoid by taking two great claws for example?

I would think not, as it mentions that "Creatures such as Zombies, animals, etc, ignore these rules.". I would put the Possessed down as a creature through rules as intended (otherwise what's the point of giving him S4?), though its something to discuss with your gaming group . The great claw though gives just one additional attack at S5. So I would assume that attack is in addition to his normal attacks at S4 or more if he rolls the right advancements.

FallenGnome
11-05-2016, 09:26
When you are creating warband and it includes some sort of caster, can you discard the caster if rolled spell of his/her is unwanted? Or can you start with new warband without any played battles?

blackcherry
11-05-2016, 09:36
It depends on your players. If you want to keep creating new warbands so you get that perfect spell, you are technically allowed to (as it doesn't say you can't in the rules) but I would think it's against the spirit of the game and what the designers wanted.

FallenGnome
20-06-2016, 05:52
Hello, more questions keeps rising, something about special critical hits.

1. Unarmed - body blow? It tells that opponent staggers and you gain additional attack and that is clear, but is that critical hit done? Isn't there dice roll for wounding result(knocked down, stunned, OOA)?

2. Thrusting weaps. - thrust? Does this mean that critical has caused knocked down and you are now allowed to wound that knocked down model(roll to wound and it is OOA) in the same critical attack phase? (There is this description: "Take armor saves as normal and see whether the model suffers a wound").

FallenGnome
21-06-2016, 09:30
To the mutant with 3 arms, No he cannot take an additional weapon; the extra appendage grants him +1 attack to his profile if I remember correctly, ...

This is incorrect answer. Mutant with extra arm has option to choose any single handed weapon(or buckler/shield) for his extra arm. Possessed model with extra arm can't take weapons to it, but has +1A what is worth of nothing, because it is counted as a fist then and you can only make 1 attack with fist.

Anyways, Spear has this unwieldy rule, where you can't take another hand weapon to second arm, but shield or buckler. Does this override the extra arm option or does extra arm override unwieldy rule and also morning star heavy to use rule.

Would be nice to hear some answers or opinions.