PDA

View Full Version : WHQ an old vs new comparison

lorelorn
18-06-2016, 02:06
I picked up the Silver Tower in a bout of nostalgia and spare work travel allowance. Now that I've assembled the box I gathered the new and old miniatures together for some side-by-side comparisons. If you're curious as to how the two groups of miniatures go toether (or not!), this may be helpful: https://scentofagamer.wordpress.com/2016/06/18/warhammer-quest-then-and-now/

Itsacon
18-06-2016, 07:33
Interesting comparison, confirms what I expected (the two kits don't mix and GW's models have grown in size significantly).

I'm actually more curious about what they did to the rules in the new version. Have you looked at those yet?

Richard
18-06-2016, 21:22
I'm actually more curious about what they did to the rules in the new version. Have you looked at those yet?

In truth the game is a great game to play, the fluff, the idea and artist visual really gives it a nice feel to play the game. In honesty the game touches on the original but doesn't keep to it. Basically they took hints, thrown a dice fest style game and AOS into the mix, it works well, but here's my low down;

First off the bat each character only has four actions to use a turn. roll four dice place them on character sheet with the results. Each action requires a certain amount on the dice roll. once you use that action the dice is removed. Repeat process

As a group you have extra dice to be shared to make extra actions.
to move, search, heal, attack and special abitilites requires a certain number of the dice.

their version of levelling up is each kill moves a marker around the board kill ten you gain a skill. but you can only have four skill max and you can easily lose them before the next trial part of tzeentch powers of forgetfulness.

The original game mechcanic had one on one rule, that's been chuck out the window and placing the monsters has changed too. Monster now appear usually by a portal which is a fixed point specifically place on the card, or centre of chamber.

the game says you don't need a game master but really you are when it comes to the monsters turn, the monsters have a d6 action chart where each player takes turn to be baddy and follow the chart. some actions say all five monsters attack one character with least amount of wounds or attack nearest one, so fair play wise, so far I have seen none.

the Dungeon deck although has more variety in rooms their got fixed statements for each card, get this room card always read passage 89, get this straight card always read passage 54. Where the original was little and imagination took over, its very static with new. like when a unexpected event happens roll two dice so the highest you get is 66 there are 98 passages and some of the passage below 66 are trial starters, so half way through one trial unexpected event happens, roll 2 dice it reads start a new trial?

the event deck are now fixed tables.

the famous roll a 1 an unexpected event happens, they have done a good job here by roll any double with destiny dice something happens, 1's and 6's unexpected event and 2,3,4,5 a familiar turns up which can either be a good thing or a bad thing. I really like this new point of the game.

where you use to see the entire dungeon board before your eyes at the end of the game now after two or three tiles all other tiles are removed representing that the tower is ever changing ever moving.

character development wise I cant see any in game.

Although I said all these points take it as you will I really really like the games potenical.

what I have done to my games is made a event deck using they games mechanic added a lot more variety of random encounters below are some examples I done also orcs and undead.

when choosing one on one I just keep the original rule I used those pins they gave with the game put them in cup and randomly pick who each monster attacks going one on one them start again if there's more.

I keep the skills and treasures are they progress but certain events you lose them so that's fair.

certain tweaks and the game has more replay action even after the trials. personally I think you can add original game ideas to the new but not the other way round.

that's what I found anyway.

228504 228505 228506

lorelorn
20-06-2016, 00:36

I did (https://scentofagamer.wordpress.com/2016/05/28/warhammer-quest-silver-tower-first-look-review/), and I'd really echo Richard's comments. The game is changed from the original, but these changes are positive, taking account of 20 years of board game rules development. A lot of the old clunkiness is gone, gameplay is smoother, and the game seems as readily expandable as the original.

What cannot be ignored IMO is the price of this game. Yes it's good, but other dungeon games of similar quality are available for half the price or less. Purchasing this for me was strictly an indulgence in nostalgia.

Richard
20-06-2016, 09:50
I did (https://scentofagamer.wordpress.com/2016/05/28/warhammer-quest-silver-tower-first-look-review/), and I'd really echo Richard's comments. The game is changed from the original, but these changes are positive, taking account of 20 years of board game rules development. A lot of the old clunkiness is gone, gameplay is smoother, and the game seems as readily expandable as the original.

What cannot be ignored IMO is the price of this game. Yes it's good, but other dungeon games of similar quality are available for half the price or less. Purchasing this for me was strictly an indulgence in nostalgia.

I totally agree I was iffy as I like the original thinking they just slap a game together and use a well branded name, but the game is fast flowing and can be expanded and yea the price wow I just went to my gamers store and got 25% off in their sale, the prices are silly and for half the model count but then GWS have always done that and we still buy lol

benvoliothefirst
21-06-2016, 15:27
Interesting comparison, confirms what I expected (the two kits don't mix and GW's models have grown in size significantly).

Great writeup lorelorn! Love the humor. Interesting that in the old WHQ era GW's figures were "chunky" with larger hands and feet to make them easier to paint. The new era figures seem to have resolved that scaling aberration by keeping hands and feet the same size and just making the rest of the figure larger to be in scale with their extremities.

lorelorn
23-06-2016, 09:28
thanks! I'll do another comparison when I paint them - but no promises on the timing there...

Shas'El Tael
27-06-2016, 10:50
Great write up, agree with present feedback too.

thanks! I'll do another comparison when I paint them - but no promises on the timing there...
Hah.. I am the last person to tease you about overdue updates on painting :)