PDA

View Full Version : How strong?

Samguk Yusa
16-05-2017, 13:36
Does anyone know how strong a space marine is actually supposed to be?
Is he on the level of Worf from Star Trek or Data or is he even stronger?
How about a deamon prince is it like the Balrog from Lord of the Rings?
Thanks guys really want to know.:cool:

barrangas
16-05-2017, 15:03
Well if strength is additive rather than exponential then a SM would be 33% stronger than a physically fit soldier. If it is exponential it depends on the rate of increase from one level to the next. Considering the height of a SM, increased mass, and general setting, I'd wager that strength would be exponential so I would probably put them around 150 to 200% increase from Str 3 to Str 4. If you go higher than that you start going from heroic to comic book levels of strength the higher you get.

Rogue Star
17-05-2017, 10:35

With or without his armour?

Denny
17-05-2017, 11:31

How strong is the Balrog? ;)

Daemons will vary in strength based both upon their power and the temperament of their god. Likewise a daemon will be stronger or weaker depending on how much energy it is able to draw from the warp, but equally the more energy it can drawn the more meaningless a term like strength becomes, as the normal rules of physics no longer apply.

Suitably empowered, Daemons can rip holes between the planes of existence. I'm not sure you can convert that sort of feat into 'how much can they bench?'

omegoku
17-05-2017, 12:10
Marines can crush human skulls with their bare hands and punch through tank armour with their (armoured) fists.
Given time they can chew through metal bars.
They are closer to comic book strong than really strong soldier strong.

barrangas
17-05-2017, 16:42
Marines can crush human skulls with their bare hands and punch through tank armour with their (armoured) fists.
They are closer to comic book strong than really strong soldier strong.

But none of them are going to win arm wrestling contests with Spiderman. :D

Samguk Yusa
17-05-2017, 18:20
Thanks for the interesting ( in some cases very lol) comments everyone.
I meant a space marine with out his armor.
I got the impression that with some deamon princes they were killable by space marines (so maybe like a primarch kind of strong)
Were a space marine to fall from a standed Uk type house (with no armor on) would he get a few broken bones or hardly feel it?

Denny
17-05-2017, 19:08
A Daemon Prince could certainly be killed by an armed Space Marine assuming he's carrying a big enough gun/weapon.
Unarmed? Pretty unlikely, unless the Daemon Prince is severely weakened.

But that's the problem; if a Prince is sufficiently weakened it can be killed (or banished) simply by sitting next to it and waiting. It must draw power from the Warp to maintain its form.

To put it another way, could I kill a bear with my bare hands?
Sure, assuming the bear was seconds away from succumbing to starvation (ideally expiring just before my hands made contact)

Sai-Lauren
17-05-2017, 20:47
Marines can crush human skulls with their bare hands

So can Sandor Clegane. ;)

That's more due to their saliva being both venomous and acidic than anything else.

omegoku
19-05-2017, 08:35
Were a space marine to fall from a standed Uk type house (with no armor on) would he get a few broken bones or hardly feel it?

I could fall off a standard 2 storey house and might get away without a broken bone. I imagine a marine would be winded at best.

Freman Bloodglaive
25-05-2017, 07:03
Marine bones are (in universe) reinforced with ceramic compounds to make them much stronger, and their biology is altered so the bones themselves are thicker and make up a reinforced cover for the vital organs. I'd suggest falling a couple of floors wouldn't do much to one, even out of armour. In armour it'd be, at worst, a bit of a bump. In terms of how strong a marine is in fluff, I'm thinking that (on the Marvel scale) they'd probably be low level superhuman, maybe able to overhead press a thousand pounds. Particularly strong marines, like Ranulf, might be closer to a full ton, or maybe more. In armour, assuming the armour provides an amplification factor, we could be looking at three or four times that. When Ragnar first got his armour he found he could crush rocks to dust.

Cross universe is hard to judge, but I'm thinking that the Balrog is somewhat akin to something like a Bloodthirster. A greater demon, not a demon prince.

Sai-Lauren
26-05-2017, 20:16
It depends how they fall - head first and unable to bring their arms up to protect themselves or otherwise change the angle of impact, they're still going to break their neck.

For raw strength, it would be dependant on the geneseed - the Wolves could be the strongest with maybe the Raven Guard as the weakest.

Borg451
28-05-2017, 17:48
Thanks guys really want to know.:cool:

Yes, which edition of the game do you have? In most the writers have * and have comparisons from Star Trek: The Next Generation and The Lord of the Rings

From page 47
* A Marine is 2x as strong as Lt Cmdr Data

From page 56
* A Daemon Prince is around the same strength as Balrog

Samguk Yusa
28-05-2017, 22:29
Thank you once again guys for your posts :D
Borg451 I have the 7th edition and your comparison is really handy.
I would imagine that a group of space marines could give Trigon (if you know who he is) a hard time.

Fangschrecken
01-07-2017, 17:29
Did you ever watch "Agents of SHIELD?" I reckon a space marine is about as strong as Director Mace in the latest seasons.

WLBjork
03-07-2017, 04:10
The truth is, as with comic books, it depends on the writer.

There's very few hard figures around.

Furthermore, it's worth considering a bullet that has been fired at something tends to have a wee bit more kinetic energy than the average person's punch - yet both are rated as S3 in game.

The best I can come up with is that a marine is to a 20mm cannon what a human is to a 7.62mm rifle.