PDA

View Full Version : Your 8th edition Army Plans

dugaal
21-05-2017, 01:14
It might be early days at the time of writing for people to make up their minds about 8th, but Im going to assume a few things for this thread:
8th will be enjoyable
8th will start with balanced armies,
All armies can have a go at all other armies, so (superheavy detachment) vs (regular detachment) will make for a fun game.(unlike now when people have an all-knight cheese army)

With this in mind, what sort of army or additions to your current army do you have planned? Finally going to take SM legion style army with lots of fluffy tactical squads?

Jumping on the Chaos/Tyranid/Ork train when they felt too underpowered to bother before?

Alternatively, starting a Knight household or Eldar Windrider force with the hope people will actually play against you?

I'm curious how the FW renegades will turn out but eager to run my CSM, legion-style, and might actually make my S.o.Horus banner and reavers and termies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ssilmath
21-05-2017, 03:41
A continuation of my Chaos forces. Hoping for new Chaos Marines, but if those aren't replaced then I'll keep working on my Rubric force. I ran Thousand Sons with Helbrutes and Warp Talons in 6th and 7th, and if 8th brings those more into balance then I should have a much easier time of it. I'm also planning on expanding my Tzeentch Daemons, and adding Daemon Engines and Possessed to my Word Bearers. The time of the Dark Gods is nigh!

Denny
22-05-2017, 10:49
A continuation of my Chaos forces.

Ditto. I've still got loads to paint so I'm just gonna keep plowing at it.

Having said tht I expect the new Deathguard will be hard to resist.

jamesvalentine
24-05-2017, 16:40
hmmm I have several army ideas. allot I'll have to "guess" we can still do since its not definite yet.

Space Marines: this is actually the hardest for me because I have no idea what chapter to do. I know all will be covered by the book coming out so I'm safe to pick anything really.
I THINK I may lean towards spac...no Dar...SOD IT!! I'll do Blood Angels. they were my first ever army when I started and now I am "restarting" so I guess it is the right thing to do.
ok so...

my GOAL (who knows if I'll be able to) would be to get two starter sets.
this'll gimme enough parts to do plenty of primaris blood angels
I'm hoping we can have 6 man units and those plasma gunners can be squad upgrades
so I'll have 20 "tacticals"
10 "plasma gunners"
6 "assault" guys
4 LT's
2 ancients
2 lords
throw in some conversion packs for bits and a transfer sheet as well.

so if we can still have 6 man units I would have
Lord.
Lieutenant.
Lieutenant.
Ancient.
6 primaris "tactical": Sergeant, plasma gunner.
6 primaris "tactical": Sergeant, Plasma gunner.
6 Primaris "tactical": Sergeant, Plasma gunner.
6 primaris "assault": Sergeant, Dual weapons.
6 Primaris "devastators": Sergeant, 5 Plasma gunners.
(this leaves me a lord, ancient, 2 LT's, 5 bolters, 2 plasma. so maybe I can make a command squad from 1 lieutenant (as a SGT), 2 of the bolters and a plasma gunner to add to the ancient??. and leave me another LT, 3 bolter, plasma, ancient and lord to just paint up as something nice and fun and maybe auction for a charity.)

Nurgle is pretty easy as two box sets only leaves me each of a spare hero (again I would paint and auction off for charity)

afterwards a couple of getting started boxes for the blood angels would be nice and a couple of nurgle daemon getting started boxes for nurgle.

UndeadKing
27-05-2017, 12:21
I'll be collecting death guard. Dropped 40k years ago as it was awful. 8th though has me hooked so I'll be all in for death guard

MasterCrafted
28-05-2017, 10:12
Hmm the agony of choice. I'm in the final push of finishing my csm army, but some death guard would break up the red nicely. Otherwise i'm waiting for new angron and new khorne stuff. Got some marines i might mod into deathwatch, need to paint my g cult as well. And what to do with my heresy stuff i bought? And ive fancied those dark eldar for a while now. Aaargh

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

syrme
29-05-2017, 10:39
Def Death Guard/Plague marines for me - Was going to just add a few units to my existing DG force but new minis are so nice Im thinking of doing a whole new force Will be my third DG army!

The_Real_Chris
01-06-2017, 14:05
Finish my old Rogue Trader plastic beakies so I can field them on tiny bases against primaris marines and come up to their belts.

williamsond
02-06-2017, 10:40
I shall be ruining my squats as marines once again.

theJ
02-06-2017, 20:07
Call me a cold-hearted cynic if you'd like, but I don't believe good balance is something GW is truly capable of achieving... nor that every army will be equals in terms of fun.
As such, my plan is to simply keep chuggin' with my current armies until I know the lay of the land, and then go from there.

Probably picking up all of the Indices on week one, though.

I will never, ever, use or condone the use of super-units-only armies, though. Even if it can be balanced, that does not mean it will be FUN, and fun is, ultimately, what I am here for.

R Man
03-06-2017, 02:11
Call me a cold-hearted cynic if you'd like, but I don't believe good balance is something GW is truly capable of achieving... nor that every army will be equals in terms of fun.
As such, my plan is to simply keep chuggin' with my current armies until I know the lay of the land, and then go from there.

Probably picking up all of the Indices on week one, though.

I will never, ever, use or condone the use of super-units-only armies, though. Even if it can be balanced, that does not mean it will be FUN, and fun is, ultimately, what I am here for.

Yeah, I don't think the new version will be much more balanced than the current edition. It might cut back on the extremes though.

I think the main difference will be that this new edition will be: 1) easier to play, 2) more intuitive, and 3) more interactive. So it will be better. But more balanced? Probably not. At least not to a significant degree.
That said, I look forward to being proved wrong.

Denny
03-06-2017, 07:31
I shall be running my squats as marines once again.

Or, thanks to the numarines, you could run your oldmarines as squats.:D

de Selby
06-06-2017, 00:29
Living the expat life, I don't have access to most of my collection at the moment. I had a 1500 points mechanicus force, and due to the absence of transports it actually went down in points value. If 2000 is going to be the new standard I will have to field a grab bag of imperial allies to get there. Will wait and see how the new edition turns out before attempting to refine the army any further.

Alternatively, starting a Knight household or Eldar Windrider force with the hope people will actually play against you?

Ha, I am actually doing this. Just bought an eldar start collecting box. Hoping I might be able to get some cheap jetbikes on ebay ;)