PDA

View Full Version : What is the oldest sculpt GW still sell?

MarcoSkoll
20-06-2017, 01:57
I recently bought some Battle Sisters to use for Shadow War - they're old models, but I still quite like them; I can get quite nostalgic about models that were around in the early days of my GW hobby, and I very much enjoy doing new things with old models.

It then occurred to me that, as some of them were first released in 1997, they must be some of the oldest models still in the GW range.

So, what *is* the oldest model still currently in the range? For the purposes of this, I'm using release date rather than any stamp on the base tag (as the former is far easier to find) and models replaced by finecast versions still count (the sculpt hasn't changed).

(I'm also specifically excluding the "Armour through the Ages" pack - although I think they're mostly around 1990, they're sold for nostalgia purposes, not as the current models for an army).

Things that date back into 2nd ED WH40K, 5th Ed Fantasy or earlier seem to be:
- The Battle Sisters range (What isn't 2004 is mostly 1997)
- Tallarn, Mordians, Valhallans (Mostly 1995-1996)
- Captain Tycho (1996)
- Keeper of Secrets (1998)
- Black Coach (1999), Heinrich Kemmler (1995)

The oldest things I can spot are the Eldar Avatar, Phoenix Lords & Warp Spiders, which I think are from 1994. Can anyone think of anything older?

(I did try searching for previous threads on this one, but words like "oldest" and "models" are so commonplace to make it very hard to refine that search.)

Lord Damocles
20-06-2017, 07:58
The Goff Rockers (https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Ork-Goff-Rockers) are from 1991, although they obviously don't have current rules.

Ultimate Life Form
20-06-2017, 08:41
The Clan Pestilens "Plague Priest" is actually Lord Skrolk of 4th Edition fame. You can tell by his low price. The book he's in was released in 1996, but theoretically the model could be even older, I don't know though. The model however did hold up great.

The "Vampire Lord on Nightmare" is the Red Duke of 1997's Circle of Blood campaign.

On one hand it is good to see some of these classics still remain. On the other hand it's a shame they've been stripped of their names and defiled their heritage by defecting to Age of Sigmar.

Kakapo42
20-06-2017, 10:26
You can add the Eldar Falcon and Vyper to the list. I don't know the exact date they were first released, but my understanding is they are amongst the oldest 40k vehicle models still in circulation.

Lord Damocles
20-06-2017, 10:38
The Vyper was 1997.The Flacon was released at about the same time.

roostar86
20-06-2017, 19:42
Ragnar blackmane and ulrik the slayer if they are still sold been out the loop for a while

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Spell_of_Destruction
21-06-2017, 03:05
The oldest things I can spot are the Eldar Avatar, Phoenix Lords & Warp Spiders, which I think are from 1994. Can anyone think of anything older?

I thought that the Eldar warlocks might be a winner (1991) but I think GW has now discontinued the oldest Warlock models (not sure how long ago that happened). I think that the old models in the Eldar range are all from the 1993/94 catalogue.

1991 Catalogue

http://www.solegends.com/citcat1991a/cat1991ap093eldaravatrwarlks-01.jpg

You can see the same models in the 1994 Catalogue but there are two new ones which are still sold in the Seer Council boxed set:

http://www.solegends.com/citcat1993/cat1993p485-02.htm

MarcoSkoll
21-06-2017, 14:19
Well, it looks like the Eldar range seems to hold the records for the oldest models then - both the oldest plastic kits (yet named, anyway), and several sculpts from around 1994 that remain the main models for current army entries. (And presumably many of these models still appear on high street shelves, rather than as mail order only).

Horace35
21-06-2017, 15:36
Here is a list of the ones I know about:

The Stone Trolls are really old. Probably around in 93/94 if not earlier.

The familiars I expect are pretty old. The Greater Daemons are also quite old but I can't really remember when they dropped?

The mounted Wight King is from the mid to late 90s.

The Snotlings I think are really old. I can't quite tell if the models are the same as the ones I have from the early 90s. The individual Cave Squigs you can buy are also from the same period

Moriarty
22-06-2017, 12:29
Ork Wartrack, 1989?

Spell_of_Destruction
22-06-2017, 13:26
The Greater Daemons were released in 97-98. The first one was the Great Unclean One which was released at around the same time as the Vyper and Falcon.

I think the War Trak was originally released as part of the Gorka Morka boxed set?

blindingdark
22-06-2017, 21:11
I was thinking only a few days ago that the Eldar Avatar is pretty ancient and needed an update 10 years ago. The intricacy of design is good but the sculpt really shows it age in terms of scale. Also that damn hair piece. :/

Rogue Star
23-06-2017, 19:37
Ork Wartrack, 1989?

The current one is plastic that came out with Gorkamorka in 1997.

Ragnar Blackmane has to be pretty ancient now.

Lord Damocles
23-06-2017, 19:46
Ragnar Blackmane has to be pretty ancient now.
'95 I think.

Griefbringer
24-06-2017, 16:14
Ragnar Blackmane model came out in late 1992, in the RT days. He had rules in WD issue 156.

Stone trolls were released at more or less same time.

Griefbringer
26-06-2017, 07:07
Had to double-check Ragnar Blackmane and the stone trolls.

Ragnar Blackmane model appears in WD issue 156 (December 1992).

However, the first three stone trolls appear in WD 155 (November 1992), thus beating Ragnar by a month. The stone trolls were later reinforced by another three models, but I am not sure when those came out.

Spell_of_Destruction
27-06-2017, 00:01
As far as plastic kits go, some of the IG vehicle designs are pretty old - older than the Falcon and Vyper. I know that the Leman Russ kit has been updated a couple of times even though the design is more or less unchanged. The Basilisk looks identical to its 2nd ed version and even has an old 2nd ed style heavy flamer mounted on the hull so I'm going to assume that the sprues are unchanged since its original release which was February 1996 according to this old thread:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?297915-Games-Workshop-40K-Release-Timeline-(Mk-II)

Leman Russ (Oct 1994) and Chimera (Jun 1995) are older but it depends if we accept the current kits as being fundamentally unchanged from the original releases. I think the Leman Russ sprue was completely updated?

Space Marine bikes are also 2nd ed releases, the old school bolters being a dead giveaway.

MarcoSkoll
27-06-2017, 03:59
The current one is plastic that came out with Gorkamorka in 1997.
Still a worthy entry though.

That said, checking other Orky vehicles, the warbuggy seems to be slightly earlier - July 1996.

Leman Russ (Oct 1994) and Chimera (Jun 1995) are older but it depends if we accept the current kits as being fundamentally unchanged from the original releases. I think the Leman Russ sprue was completely updated?
I don't think any of them count:
- The Leman Russ was redone in 2010. It's got newer secondary weapons. Beyond that, some details like the number and positioning of rivets on the panels seem to be different.

- The Chimera seems to have been updated at about the same time, and despite still using dated weapon designs, the current kit now has an armour plate protecting the weapon mounting, and cut-out access panels designs on the side armour. (Which are not on the older models I have).

- And that's also changed the Basilisk. While it looks like some sprues may still date back to 1996, I think I have to disqualify the kit as a whole, as the model can't be (validly) built without using identifiably newer parts.

My guess is that the Russ and Chimera got updated with very similar, but digital, master models.

The Space Marine bikers are a valid call though. Although not quite as old as the Warbuggy, a release date of October 1996 makes it the second oldest plastic kit so far.

The Snotlings I think are really old. I can't quite tell if the models are the same as the ones I have from the early 90s. The individual Cave Squigs you can buy are also from the same period
The Snotlings are January 1992, beating the Stone Trolls. The squigs seem to be about the same time period, although I'm not going to go to the bother of pinning down exactly which of the squigs at the time they might have been, because they're not going to beat...

The familiars I expect are pretty old.
... because I can find some of these as far back as the the Spring 1987 Citadel Journal (see here (http://www.solegends.com/citcat198704cja/c198704cjp0036-01.htm)), making them the new leaders by quite some margin.

Spell_of_Destruction
27-06-2017, 04:17
... because I can find some of these as far back as the the Spring 1987 Citadel Journal (see here (http://www.solegends.com/citcat198704cja/c198704cjp0036-01.htm)), making them the new leaders by quite some margin.

LOL, there are now gamers in their 30s who weren't born when these were released!

Another disputable entry for oldest plastic model - Eldar Jetbike (Oct 1994).

Of course the new Windrider set was released in 2015 as part of the 7th ed codex release but...the Autarch skyrunner and Shining Spears make use of the old jetbike kit. My recollection is that the old jetbike is one sprue so everything you need to build an old jetbike comes in the shining spears kit. In which case I think it qualifies.

Griefbringer
27-06-2017, 07:30
However, the first three stone trolls appear in WD 155 (November 1992), thus beating Ragnar by a month. The stone trolls were later reinforced by another three models, but I am not sure when those came out.

After some delving, I found out that the second set of three stone trolls was first shown in WD158 (February 1993), so some of the stone trolls are younger than Ragnar and some are older...

As for fantasy cave squigs, they make their first appearance in WD in autumn 1992 too.

MarcoSkoll
27-06-2017, 14:57
LOL, there are now gamers in their 30s who weren't born when these were released!
I'm not quite in my 30s yet, but it is nonetheless the first thing we've named that predates me. (It's also only eight years after Citadel was formed, so there's only so much further it's even possible to even go back).

Another disputable entry for oldest plastic model - Eldar Jetbike (Oct 1994).
I'll call that valid - it might be as part of another box (although the Shining Spears themselves are fairly old, from 1999), but those old Jetbike models are indeed still available.