PDA

View Full Version : How many units will Primaris SM have? And a possibiliyu of an solo PSM codex?

Herkamer63
27-06-2017, 17:59
Primaris Space Marines are the new kids on the block, and already, I'm really loving them. The new models, I think, look great, the stats and wargear are reasonable given what they are, and already we already have a decent amount of units already, or coming, out. GW had already revealed the Redemptor dread, the Repulsor, Primaris Cap in power armor, Primaris Libi in power armor, and the Reviers heading our way in the near future. Based on the information from the Dark Imperium book, there's still more coming that hasn't been shown yet.

That begs the one of the question: how many units will they have? I know GW has said you can field an army of PSM (have to be careful of abbreviations here). The regular SM line (any of the current SM Chapters) is pretty extensive. However, from the Dark Imperium book, the PSM have gravis armored squads, a flyer fighter, and a super heavy flyer that's bigger than the Thunderhawk. Of course, one has to wonder what units would they have next. I can see Primaris versions of drop pods, terminators (possibly), and some of the other essentials that make SM SM. Taking out "Primaris can't ride them" for transports would fix that problem. I will bet when it's all said and done for the regular line, we'll probably see roughly around datasheets.

Now, with all that said, could there be a PSM codex in the works? The fluff mentions there are new chapters with just PSM, so you have to imagine some of those Chapters go outside of the norm. The original Chapters will stay, so no worries there. However, I can see new Chapters getting as much attention as the originals, and being just as awesome. I have no doubt PSM will be in the new SM codex, but we can't rule out the possibility a codex for a PSM only army. Unfortunately, or fortunately (depending on how you look at it), not enough info has been coming out about 8th ed 40k, so we'll have to just and wait to see what's heading our way.

I'll be honest, I believe the PSM line will eventually replace, entirely, the current SM line. When? I don't know. Not this year or the next, I'm confident there, but because the story has moved forward and GW wants to connect with new customers, it will probably happen eventually. As long as they put out some cool units for PSM, I think that can be forgiven quickly. Anyway, they're cool and screw the haters. All they know is hate (And They Shall Know No Love).

Voss
30-06-2017, 06:08
6 or 7.
The three they've already got.
The sneaky dudes that probably won't match up to just bringing assault marines.
The Aggressors, who are packing shoulder missile launchers.
the hovertank
the new dread.

Thats... pretty much it. Maybe 1 more thing, but that's it.

Personally, I don't see them replacing the marines, at least not anytime soon and without a major overhaul. For one thing, I don't see them selling well. So far they're universally worse than just taking current SM that can do the same job better.

Lost Egg
30-06-2017, 07:41
I think Primaris will follow the same lines as the Stormcast; an initial range to cover the basics then they will be expand in waves. I am not sure they will do a primaris codex...maybe just smurfs for now then add the primaris to each chapter as they do them. Aren't they going to put rules in boxes from now on with the new stuff?

Long-term I think old marines are gunna just fade away, though not until GW have done codex books for the main chapters. The only old marines I have now are for Shadow War, apart from that I think I'll stick with primaris from now on.

If the primaris are weak in the new game then I'm sure thats only temporary and further options will improve them as I can't see GWs new poster boys being allowed to be crushed for long.

UndeadKing
01-07-2017, 18:26
GW said they will get a codex of their own

Lord Damocles
02-07-2017, 22:18
So far they've got:

Captain
Captain in Gravis
Librarian
Ancient
Lieutenant
[Apothecary]
[Chaplain]
Intercessors
Fulminators
Inceptors
[Aggressors]
Reivers
Repulsor
Redemptor

Possibly add medicae servitors, flier, Repulsor variant and you're getting towards a Codex-worth of different units.

BramGaunt
03-07-2017, 07:10
So far they've got:

Captain
Captain in Gravis
Librarian
Ancient
Lieutenant
[Apothecary]
[Chaplain]
Intercessors
Fulminators
Inceptors
[Aggressors]
Reivers
Repulsor
Redemptor

Possibly add medicae servitors, flier, Repulsor variant and you're getting towards a Codex-worth of different units.

The Overlord's missing from that list, thats their version of the Thunderhawk.

Lord Damocles
03-07-2017, 08:11
I wouldn't expect to see the Overlord in the Codex any more than I'd expect to see the Thunderhawk in a standard Marine book.

Lost Egg
04-07-2017, 07:59
I'd be surprised if a Techmarine doesn't show up at some point.

I guess they will do a Stormcast and release a codex with a solid but limited range of choices then add more every few months. I'd like to see a new mark of bullock jet cycles (the FW jetbikes look terrible).

barrangas
09-07-2017, 21:53
The PSM dread bothers me the most out of the new models. Looking at it just makes me worry that it is just dread 2.0. I realize that that is what the PSM are but GW has been claiming that their units will have different functions than SM units and their troop units do seem to lack the flexible firepower of SM. I would really hope the PSM would occupy a different place then the SM dread, rather than just being better. Hell they could have claimed that PSM were much easier to fully heal so they didn't need dreads but Cawl gave them some sort of walker thing in a style similar to the ones GK get. The PSM dread makes me worry that they may edge to replacing SM.

Buddy Bear
09-07-2017, 22:50
As many units as they feel they can crank out.

Let's face facts: regular Space Marines are on their way out. That's the pretty obvious conclusion to draw, and the Dark Imperium novel supports that, with Guilliman not hiding the fact that the days of the old Space Marine are done. As far as the setting is concerned, with only a few exceptions, all new Space Marines are now being made as Primaris Marines. Moreover, the developers have stated that it's possible for regular Space Marines to be converted into Primaris Space Marines (Which I expect will happen in due time in the fluff). The only reason for that is so they can take existing special characters and convert them into Primaris Marines, with new, larger plastic models.

Now, I'm not saying that GW's going to immediately squat the entire Space Marine line at the drop of a hat, but I do think that the following are reasonable conclusions:

1) GW will no longer create any new regular Space Marine units. Any and all new units will only be Primaris Marines.
2) GW's going to start retiring the Finecast character line as those characters are remade into Primaris Marines and get plastic releases.
3) Certain Space Marine units will start disappearing, particularly older units and units which get replaced by Primaris Marine equivalents.
4) Once the Primaris Marine line is deep enough that it can function as a stand alone army, and a few years have passed, that's when we'll start seeing entire swathes of the existing Space Marine range disappearing wholesale from the web store.

So I don't believe regular Space Marines will be squatted immediately, but by the time 9th edition rolls around? They may very well be gone by then.

barrangas
10-07-2017, 02:12
Having the PSM replace the SM kinda throws off the balance of things though. CSM and ISM were essentially equal but if PSM actively replace SM in the Imperium then that balance is gone, unless the Chaos gods do a magic upgrade to counter it. If the SM were obviously mechanically broken and the Primaris were GWs in game way of fixing the SM problems, I'd actually be kind of impressed by them. I think we can all agree that there is nothing mechanically wrong with them though. If the PSM replace the SM, then it seems likely that we'll start seeing a blending of the two with say intercessors getting heavy and special weapon upgrades and becoming the new tactical squad. Giving these boost to all ISM will just unbalance things and it's why I'm really hoping that the PSM stay their own separate army like GK, rather than replacing SM and have the fluff that they will replace them be kept as that and happening at some point the game will never advance to.

Rogue Star
10-07-2017, 07:15
Having the PSM replace the SM kinda throws off the balance of things though. CSM and ISM were essentially equal but if PSM actively replace SM in the Imperium then that balance is gone, unless the Chaos gods do a magic upgrade to counter it.

Well the new Plague Marines are much more in scale with the Primaris than they are the current Loyalist/Chaos Space Marine plastics. That's not to say they're as large, there's a bit more variation amongst the Dark Imperium 7-man unit, but in general they lean more towards the Primaris-scale, than they do current stuff, so the "magic upgrade" has already started. Examples:

http://pro.bols.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/40k-8th-scale.png
https://spikeybits.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/comparativa-marines-death-guard.jpg
https://i.redd.it/sp4wu4oo8fzy.jpg

barrangas
10-07-2017, 12:00
I'm not talking about model size but stats and equipment.