PDA

View Full Version : About the Codexes...

FmrDakkanautKaptinBadrukk
05-07-2017, 23:18
So, when I saw that GW is going to release Codexes for 8th, I wanted to go to their facebook page, and write a very angry post about why they are releasing codexes. If I had done it, I probably would have written this:

Alright, GW. I want to know EXACTLY what you were thinking when you wanted to release codexes for 8th. We already have 5 indexes, aren't they enough?! I know there's no more Ork Looted Wagons, but you could have released their datasheet in a separate White Dwarf issue, right? And what is the lack of an Ork looted wagon compared to every index except for Imperium 1 becoming useless?

I want to know: Do you Warseer guys think this is a good thing or a bad thing? Because this makes me angry. So angry, that I started writing out the above paragraph before my ethical sense stopped me.

Also do you think I should buy Imperium 1? I've got an Ultramarines AND a Blood Angels (poorly painted, that is) army.

Sorry if this isn't allowed, I felt I needed to vent.

acrimonger
05-07-2017, 23:50
I totally agree. I have to secret hope they don't fudge this up...

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Lord Damocles
06-07-2017, 07:32
Why would anybody think that GW were ever not going to release codexes?

Rogue Star
06-07-2017, 10:47
Why would anybody think that GW were ever not going to release codexes?

Got to second this. Why did anyone think the Indexes were be all, end all? The core rules mention consulting future Codexes. They even cover in the FAQ:

Is my index invalid now?
Not at all. Even with the pace we’re planning on releases these new codexes, it’s going to take well over a year to get to all of them. No single codex will cover all the contents of an index book, so you’ll get plenty of use out of all your indexes, don’t worry.

Now I understand this isn't going to help say, Space Marine players... but honestly, did you think you'd have to wait a long time for a new Codex? Space Marines have, in some shape or form, been the first Codex of every edition. WH40K 2nd edition dropped? Codex: Space Wolves, Orks, Ultramarines. WH40K 4th Edition? Codex Space Marines followed by Codex: Dark Eldar. Last edition? Dark Angels followed by Chaos Space Marines.

The contents of the core set, are always the first two armies to receive Codexes. This is literally an inability to learn...

Cèsar de Quart
06-07-2017, 11:41
I vaguely remember GW saying the way of the Codex was over. I can't recall where I saw it, though (probably on some BoLS reference to the WH COmmunity website).

Still, we all know this hobby is a money drain. I imagine most of us are in our mid-20's, late 30's and can confortably spend money on the hobby. It is kind of a cashgrab, but then again, it's been their business model from the start (or close to it).

I remember when General's Handbooks appeared for AoS. I was confused: what's in there? I mean, we've got the rules, the faction books... what more can we need? I felt the same when the indexes came out; is this the new codex? Then, what is there to see in the codexes themselves?

MarcoSkoll
06-07-2017, 13:08
The idea of the Indexes did always strike me as akin to the army lists in the back of the 3rd edition rulebook or Ravening Hordes; GW needed to update all the unit profiles to address that the rules change had invalidated all previous codices, but it was never intended as a permanent measure.

With the range being much larger than it was back in 3rd edition, just shoving all the profiles in the back of the rulebook was understandably less practical.

WLBjork
06-07-2017, 15:37
Got to second this. Why did anyone think the Indexes were be all, end all? The core rules mention consulting future Codexes. They even cover in the FAQ:

Now I understand this isn't going to help say, Space Marine players... but honestly, did you think you'd have to wait a long time for a new Codex? Space Marines have, in some shape or form, been the first Codex of every edition. WH40K 2nd edition dropped? Codex: Space Wolves, Orks, Ultramarines. WH40K 4th Edition? Codex Space Marines followed by Codex: Dark Eldar. Last edition? Dark Angels followed by Chaos Space Marines.

The contents of the core set, are always the first two armies to receive Codexes. This is literally an inability to learn...

Me three.

I was never under the impression that the Indexes would be the be-all and end-all of army books - even before 8th Ed was formally released.

Now I have seen them, it's also very clear that these are just 'get you by' lists. After all, there's not a great deal of background information...

omegoku
06-07-2017, 16:32
The indexes should have been free.
But this is GW, if you want to play 40k you must learn to love the lash.
The codexes were always coming and they said as much. It was a surprise to learn we would have 10 by Christmas though

FmrDakkanautKaptinBadrukk
06-07-2017, 16:40
Here's the thing, Boyz.

My dad said they would release Codexes at some point either before June 17th, 2017 or after June 17th, 2017. I thought he was wrong or reading an unreliable rumor source, but when I saw the Codex release story yesterday, I regretted not believing him.

And I'm recovering from the inital shock about seeing the release story about Codexes.

Lars Porsenna
06-07-2017, 20:42
I bought ALL of the Index books. I also did so with the full knowledge that codicies would eventually make them obsolete. I don't regret my purchase, because they are still useful as an overview of the different factions I can use for reference, and some factions I have models for (like SoB) are probably not seeing a codex anytime soon IMHO. So I really don't see a reason to get mad about it.

Damon.

Commissar Vaughn
07-07-2017, 09:15
Whats preventing you from using the Index after the codex is released? Nobody will put a gun to your head and frogmarch you down to the shop to buy it will they?

Whats the worst that could happen? You miss out on some ridiculous and badly named game-breaking special rule that wasn't play tested properly and maybe keep some slightly wonkier points values? Oh, what a tragedy!

I'll stick with the index's.

WLBjork
08-07-2017, 05:45
Nothing is ever 'free'.

More importantly, compared to the release of 3rd Ed. there's too many factions and pieces of equipment to go into 1 handy book(let). It doesn't help that everything is hard backed now, which increases costs.

Anyway, my point was if they'd made the books inclusive then you'd be looking at probably a 50%+ cost rise.

shabbadoo
10-07-2017, 11:35
So, when I saw that GW is going to release Codexes for 8th, I wanted to go to their facebook page, and write a very angry post about why they are releasing codexes. If I had done it, I probably would have written this:

Alright, GW. I want to know EXACTLY what you were thinking when you wanted to release codexes for 8th. We already have 5 indexes, aren't they enough?! I know there's no more Ork Looted Wagons, but you could have released their datasheet in a separate White Dwarf issue, right? And what is the lack of an Ork looted wagon compared to every index except for Imperium 1 becoming useless?

I want to know: Do you Warseer guys think this is a good thing or a bad thing? Because this makes me angry. So angry, that I started writing out the above paragraph before my ethical sense stopped me.

Also do you think I should buy Imperium 1? I've got an Ultramarines AND a Blood Angels (poorly painted, that is) army.

Sorry if this isn't allowed, I felt I needed to vent.

Releasing the codexes will be a good thing. Releasing the Indexes as booklets people had to pay for not too long before the codexes will start to come out was a BAD thing. The Indexes should have been FREE pdf's, but they just couldn't do that.

Fortunately for me, I didn't buy any of the Indexes, though I know some who did. Unfortunately for me, most of the armies i play are not even slated (or even rumored) to get a codex...or miniatures...this year, so I'll just work on my models in preparation for what will hopefully be a much better 2018 so far as gaming with my GW stuff goes. Maybe I'll work on a project army with one of my buddies. I may get Death Guard when it comes out. Maybe. It will really depend upon the model support they receive by then. Other than for what comes in the Dark Imperium starter set, if there are not at least 6 multi-part unit/vehicle kits for them (not including individual characters), I'll probably pass. A standalone codex needs decent model support, so hopefully they will get a good slate of releases. If not, it may depend upon the Chaos Space Marines codex, and the models released alongside it, as those codexes might work together in some fashion.

I wouldn't buy the indexes. Just wait for the Space Marine codex to come out and run your Ultramarines for now. Work on those models, as the newer stuff suits that Chapter imminently well. By the time you are done working on them and have enjoyed playing many games with them, perhaps Blood Angels (or another army you have decided you want to get) will at least be rumored to be coming out "soon" by then, if it is not out already.