PDA

View Full Version : Does Games Workshop not realize that they just gave Chaos the win?

TheSaylesMan
16-08-2017, 05:09
A thought struck me as I was looking at the new galaxy map. For a while now, the whole thing felt wrong to me in a way I couldn't identify. At the time I was thinking that it had to do with the Eldar being vindicated with their disdain and distrust of Humanity given what was just done. Or perhaps I was discontent that grand, sweeping, destructive changes like that are far too easy and often times disrespect the setting by mistreating its framework. But that didn't turn out to be it.

Take a look at that map. Its pretty obvious in hindsight. The galactic core appears to be completely engulfed by the Cicatrix Maleldictum. Now I am not an astrophysicist but isn't that the very hub on which the galaxy turns? Isn't it the reason why the galaxy has arms at all? And now its completely in the sway of the Ruinous Powers. There are no more stars or black holes there. Simply the raw stuff of Chaos. As far as I can figure it there is no reason why the galaxy doesn't just come apart at the seams other than the forces of Chaos do not want it to happen. They could just decide that the whole thing is too much trouble and watch the stars of the Milky Way get launched in every direction when the galactic core is suddenly not dense enough to form the gravity well around which the rest of the galaxy spins. That kind of renders everything just moot doesn't it? It doesn't matter about all the big things that are happening now if Chaos just has an off switch. Games Workshop has never cared about astrophysics before so I am unsurprised but isn't this a little extreme?

There isn't any fixing it either! Even if the best happens and Cawl masters Necron tech and produces pylons on every world, you can't just gain that matter back. The Warp has taken it away. The very act of trying to fix it and succeeding would doom everything in the galaxy.

Perhaps someone smarter than me could explain why I am wrong.

Rogue Star
16-08-2017, 09:37
Well something to remember is that, from the words of GW writers like Andy Chambers, Rick Priestley and Tuomas Pirinen, Chaos victory over the material universe is "inevitable". They frequently compare the Immaterium spilling into realspace alongside forces like entropy and time, something all material forces must succumb to eventually...

theJ
16-08-2017, 18:57
That warpspace overlaps with the galactic core doesn't mean the galactic core no longer exists.
Just like a planet getting swallowed by the warp doesn't mean it ceases to be; it just turns into a daemon world.
Completely different thing.

Lost Egg
16-08-2017, 20:52
Luckily GW has a save because the entire galaxy is filled with a super-special element which can be used to make any situation possible as needed by the 'writers'... it's called bunkum.

Spellfire
16-08-2017, 23:01
Does anyone know where I can read in complete all the changes made to the 40k universe and how things now stand? I bought the Dark Imperium novel thinking that would contain all the lore in story format, but it just skips all the key events.

Sent from my HUAWEI ALE-L04 using Tapatalk

Lost Egg
17-08-2017, 07:51
I assume the new rulebook has it all.

Rogue Star
17-08-2017, 11:07
Does anyone know where I can read in complete all the changes made to the 40k universe and how things now stand? I bought the Dark Imperium novel thinking that would contain all the lore in story format, but it just skips all the key events.

We don't have it yet. GW are still updating the Codexes and stuff, as Codex: Space Marines, Chaos Space Marines and Grey Knights all introduced new elements of what they were doing during the creation of the Great Rift and a few snippets immediately after. Suffice to say as things stand... Chaos is attacking every other faction this edition.

TheSaylesMan
18-08-2017, 04:52
Well something to remember is that, from the words of GW writers like Andy Chambers, Rick Priestley and Tuomas Pirinen, Chaos victory over the material universe is "inevitable". They frequently compare the Immaterium spilling into realspace alongside forces like entropy and time, something all material forces must succumb to eventually...

Oh yes I get that part. It all just seems like people would recognize it when the game was over so to speak? Its literally an obvious no win scenario for anybody with a hint of knowledge as to how space works. There are even more issues now too. Light from the Cicatrix Maladictum is spreading across the galaxy, spreading taint with it because it is light from the Warp. I had always wondered how many things were corrupted just by looking at the light from the Eye of Terror but now that seems like a moot point. Now the only way to be completely free from taint is to lock ones' self indoors and never use anything but artificial light. It feels like this is the equivalent of The End Times. Except in Fantasy the people could tell it was The End Times. Its a galactic apocalypse but nobody seems to want to admit it. I get that most people are unwashed illiterates but there have to be important people fatalistic enough to know that they are doomed.

carlisimo
18-08-2017, 23:09
Given that Guilliman was able to pop across the Cicatrix to save Baal, it can't be that big a deal. Heck, the Tyranids' Shadow in the Warp must not be either, because it also failed to impede Guilliman (and also Ka'Bandha) from getting in there.

Or they aren't thinking these things through...

Fangschrecken
23-08-2017, 23:29
The galaxy maps seem to show a couple places where it's possible to get to the other side of the galaxy.

Sargeant Slaughter
02-09-2017, 21:14
But chaos needs people as puppets to exist, it's not a case of destruction but a harvest. No galaxy, no harvest.