PDA

View Full Version : Help with WH40K Eldar Novels/Books

tirnaog
21-10-2017, 00:40
I want to read some WH40K eldar books but dont know where to start.
Heres a list I made from GW and Black Libary sites.
1] Have I missed any?
2] What order would you recommend I read these in?

Thanks in Advance :)

Eldar:
01] Path of the Eldar
Path of the Warrior
Path of the Seer
Path of the Outcast
The Curse of Shaa-dom
The Rewards of Tolerance
Dark Son
02] Asurmen: Hand of Asuryan
03] Ghost Warrior: Rise of the Ynnari
04] Jain Zar: The Storm of Silence
05] Asurmen: Hand of Asuryan
06] Throneworld
07] Valedor and Wraithflight
08] Farseer
09] Sky Hunter
10] Nightspear
11] Spirit War and The Path Forsaken
12] Howl of the Banshee
13] The Carnac Campaign
14] Valedor
15] The Masque of Vyle

Lord Damocles
21-10-2017, 09:15
The Carnac Campaign is a collection of Nightspear, Sky Hunter, and Spirit War.

They're not great. Nightspear at least tries something a bit different in the style of its storytelling. The formatting of the digital edition (or lack of on my devices...) made it difficult to follow though. The print version might be better. Spirit War doesn't actually follow a Wraithknight (let alone an Ulthwe one), contrary to the cover art.

The Path of the Eldar trilogy contains lots of information on Craftworld life and society, but I found the books frustrating. The main characters are unlikable, the plot moves far too quickly (which Thorpe acknowledges in the preface of the omnibus), the climactic battle of the series just sort of happens from nowhere and then ends just as abruptly with a really dumb resolution.

I haven't read them, but Valedor and The Last Days of Ector (and Wraithflight, I assume?) by Guy Haley are apparently very good.

The Dawn of War novels feature Eldar, but I wouldn't advise reading those under any but the most desperate circumstances!

Hellebore
26-10-2017, 03:39
I've always liked the eldar in Execution Hour and Shadowpoint.

Starchild
11-12-2017, 22:48
I want to read some WH40K eldar books but dont know where to start.
Heres a list I made from GW and Black Libary sites.
1] Have I missed any?
2] What order would you recommend I read these in?

Farseer is hands down the best Eldar novel. No surprise though. William King is the best author Black Library ever had.

The Path of the Eldar trilogy contains lots of information on Craftworld life and society, but I found the books frustrating. The main characters are unlikable, the plot moves far too quickly (which Thorpe acknowledges in the preface of the omnibus), the climactic battle of the series just sort of happens from nowhere and then ends just as abruptly with a really dumb resolution.

Apparently Gav was trying to make the reader *feel* like an Eldar, who as a race are supposed to think far faster than humans. Whether he succeeded or not is up for debate. I can understand how this writing style could come across as annoying.

Homeworld
08-01-2019, 22:00
I agree with all that Lord Damocles said and I confirm that Guy Haley's works are good and entertaining.

About Gav' job...I don't know.
English it's not my native language, so maybe I'm not in the right position to judge. Generally, I don't like the way he arranges the plot: sometimes the action is really slow, with a lot of introspection, descriptions (about landscapes, settings, characters' feelings), etc.
Maybe Starchild is right and Gav's intent is to give the real feel of the Eldar beahviour. Unfortunately, in this way they not only seem annoying: they're terribly boring.

As an Eldar fan for decades, I'd like something much more heroic and vibrant.

Razios
12-01-2019, 19:46
It depend, is novel about Malekith does have short of the same problem: suddenly Malekith does is evil act that will mark him as elve sauron and....it dosent feel gain, you see glimps of is personality flaws but nothing that will make him go "evil guy" so it come across as rush.

On the other hand is novel about dwarfs is really good.