PDA

View Full Version : WarSeer Tournament 2007

nick
16-07-2006, 17:30
Hi everyone,

I have been in discussion about a WarSeer Tournament in Birmingham sometime in June next year. There would be a 40K and Fantasy Tournament and prizes of course for the winners.

I know I don't yet have enough details to ask people to commit to anything but I need to get some general figures to help decide on a suitable venue. Please vote on the poll with if you are interested in each Tournament.

Thanks,
Nick

heldane
16-07-2006, 18:38
Hi everyone,

I have been in discussion about a WarSeer Tournament in Birmingham sometime in June next year. There would be a 40K and Fantasy Tournament and prizes of course for the winners.

I know I don't yet have enough details to ask people to commit to anything but I need to get some general figures to help decide on a suitable venue. Please vote on the poll with if you are interested in each Tournament.

Thanks,
Nick

Well I've voted 40k, but i'd just as easily be willing to play fantasy, lotr or even warmachine.

Cheers

Dan

Brimstone
16-07-2006, 19:19
I should be there and playing 40K again this time after my stellar performance playing fantasy. :p

cookiescrumble
17-07-2006, 08:43
Voted 40k but not really fussed.

Will it be a weekend thing?

Lardidar
17-07-2006, 09:30
Voted 40k but I would play either game.

Is this replacing the Nottingham event?

cookiescrumble
17-07-2006, 10:03
Hopefully will be aswell as.

Xavier
17-07-2006, 10:11
Wow im the only one to vote fantasy...

Lardidar
17-07-2006, 12:52
Wow im the only one to vote fantasy...

I did fantasy at Carnage this year ... I would be happy to do it again, although I voted 40k for a change.

Jedi152
17-07-2006, 12:54
I would have gone fantasy, but i'm unable to travel to Birmingham, and can't really afford to stay there, so i went for the 3rd option.

nick
17-07-2006, 17:15
Is this replacing the Nottingham event?
Yes this is... carnage will still happen but WarSeer is no longer affiliated with that event. Obviously I would rather you come to this event but I won't hold it against anyone :evilgrin:

We are undecided if it should be a two day tournament although this is possible as the event we will be working with will be on during the entire weekend. I'm going to try to keep the entry cost low to allow people to put more money towards somewhere to stay in Birmingham. I expect this will happen at a hotel so we may even manage a special rate for members.

I hope those details help,
Nick

Lardidar
17-07-2006, 17:38
I thought Carnage was your tournament? Why is WarSeer no longer affiliated with Carnage?

Birmingham is easier for me anyway so I'm happy.

nick
17-07-2006, 17:53
I thought Carnage was your tournament? Why is WarSeer no longer affiliated with Carnage?

Birmingham is easier for me anyway so I'm happy.
Carnage has decided to become independant so we are looking at other possibilities.

Nick

Venomizer
17-07-2006, 18:04
providing the circumstances were good for me (i.e a painted army, money and the ability to get to Birmingham) I'd be interested in the 40K aspect for certain

KingM
19-07-2006, 22:36
If its not happening at Warhammer World, who is going to be providing the tables and scenery?

andy10k
19-07-2006, 22:39
I'd be up for 40k, so long as there is a healthy amount of people going or expected to be going (which with the tag name "warseer tourney" i suspect there will be with so many members on the board) and the tickets were about £15-20.

All the best with organising it :) sounds good.

nick
20-07-2006, 18:59
If its not happening at Warhammer World, who is going to be providing the tables and scenery?
There are a couple of plans so far. The terrain at Warhammer World isn't really that great so I'm sure we can offer at least this quality of terrain.

We can run a project to create suitable terrain in the Painting and Terrain Forum.
We can ask our advertisers to donate terrain
We can buy low cost terrain (trees etc) and make it ourselves.

I'm going to try all of them and see what result we get. The 3rd option is more or less the backup plan in case the others don't supply what we need. I believe the tables will be supplied by the venue orgainiser but I am in discussion about this.

Nick

Crube
20-07-2006, 19:14
I've voted a tentative Fantasy - moving to Aberdeen etc....

But if I can - I'll be there...

KingM
20-07-2006, 21:18
* We can run a project to create suitable terrain in the Painting and Terrain Forum.
* We can ask our advertisers to donate terrain
* We can buy low cost terrain (trees etc) and make it ourselves.

I'm not sure the first two would work. Even if you have only 20 players, thats still 10 6'x4' tables, a lot of terrain. Then you've still got to physically get it to the event

andy10k
20-07-2006, 21:49
Do what they do at english conflicts, buy the gaming matts, and then make/buy cheap are terrain (rock pioles/forests) that will do to be honest, everything will match and look proffessional, and wont take as much effort as the boards will have up at WW.

Darkseer
21-07-2006, 07:50
Yes this is... carnage will still happen but WarSeer is no longer affiliated with that event. Obviously I would rather you come to this event but I won't hold it against anyone :evilgrin:
Nick

Why don't we all just go to the Carnage tournament in Nottingham as normal? It's easier to get to, cheaper and there are a team of people who are accustomed to running it.

It seems like you're reinventing the wheel.

WanderingRogue
21-07-2006, 08:01
from a purely selfish point of view , nottingham is so much easier for me as i get free accomadation there. Birmingham is a cool towm, but ticket, travel and accomadation money might push me over the edge of "i cant make it". but 40k if i do.

Im still wierded out on how an event that seemed to be run completly by warseers (as far as i could tell), could go independant. Did someone own the rights to the name or something?

cookiescrumble
21-07-2006, 08:12
I agree with darkseer, i would rather go to a place that i know, i.e. nottingham at Warhammer world. Travel and accomadation is cheap, and the place has everything you need for a great weekend.

Why don't we all just go to the Carnage tournament in Nottingham as normal? It's easier to get to, cheaper and there are a team of people who are accustomed to running it.

It seems like you're reinventing the wheel.

Very good question......Nick ???

Cloud Runner
21-07-2006, 19:33
Well, I voted for 40k, and B'ham would be ideal for me (easily getting home from the lash!!)

But, I too would like to know why Carnage is no longer seen as the Warseer event.

Rest assured we'll definately be at Carnage, what with the better half being an organiser

nick
22-07-2006, 17:05
Ok, lets clarify this... The event I'm considering will not be exactly the same as carnage. This event will be taking place along side a number of other events at the same venue. I'm planning to have smaller skirmish battles then carnage along with time between matches to visit the stores and other events going on during the weekend.

If you want a full on tournament with almost all your time spent playing matches carnage will probably be more worthwhile. If you want something which is a little more varied this might be good plan. I'm also trying to see if its possible to arrange the games in the form of battle fronts. If you loose your small battle you've actually allowed your enemy to gain a foot hold and eventually one side will will overall. The idea of this is to make you feel like you have a real impact in the event as a whole even if you end up last place. If you don't feel you can win against an opponent you might want to conceed the battle, but if you managed to get a draw you may have helped win the overall battle.

I've not decided these details but the prospect of something a little different is interesting and should ensure people are involved in all their matches.

I hope that helps,
Nick

McMullet
22-07-2006, 17:44
Sounds like an interesting idea. :)

I'll try and get along for that, I might even be able to start another army if the forces are smaller. That's assuming I even manage to finish the Lizards in time for Carnage 07. :p

Keep us posted as to exactly how it'll work.

nick
22-07-2006, 18:39
Sounds like an interesting idea. :)

I'll try and get along for that, I might even be able to start another army if the forces are smaller. That's assuming I even manage to finish the Lizards in time for Carnage 07. :p
You could always field a cut down version of the same army if you don't want to build two...

If anyone has any ideas on what they would like to see during the event let me know.

Nick

McMullet
22-07-2006, 18:59
Well, I was just thinking that another event is a good thing to motivate me to paint more stuff. Might as well maximise the effect! :D Not that I don't have a load of other stuff to slap acrylics on...

I'm not entirely clear on how the battle front works, does this mean there will be a Warseer team that we're fighting for, or will all the players be from Warseer? If the latter, how are sides determined?

Lardidar
22-07-2006, 19:05
Well, I was just thinkiong that another event is a good thing to motivate me to paint more stuff. Might as well maximise the effect! :D Not that I don't have a load of other stuff to slap acrylics on...

I'm not entirely clear on how the battle front works, does this mean there will be a Warseer team that we're fighting for, or will all the players be from Warseer? If the latter, how are sides determined?

I think ..... there are good guys (marines, Guard, Tau and Eldar) and bad guys (Orks, chaos, Dark eldar, Nids) and you play for your team rather than yourself.

Brandir
22-07-2006, 19:28
To add a little more info Game 07 will be a multi-game event. Occuring over probably the first weekend in June 2007 in Birmingham, one of the days will also feature traders. The organisers will also have Codemasters showing off their latest games. But the focus of the event is to enjoy playing great games.

Tournaments will include D&D Miniatures, WARMACHINE/HORDES, Flames of War as well as WH40K/Warhammer.

It will be a great opportunity to play in a tournament at such a multi-game event. It will also be a great opportunity to publicise Warseer to a wider gaming audience and show everyone what a good community we have here.

The web site for Game 06 is: http://www.game06.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/index.html

There is basic info on Game 07 at Its Time 4 Games: http://www.itstime4games.com/Home/Game07/tabid/136/Default.aspx

How much will it cost? Well, entry to the WARMACHINE tournament was 10 at Game 06. I suspect that will be the entry fee for one day tournaments next year too. And don't worry about terrain/organisation. The beauty of this event from a Warseer point of view is that the organisers will sort out the admin and logistics. All Warseer needs to do is provide the players.

Where will it be run? The venue has not yet been confirmed but the organisers are looking at a dedicated conference venue which will be easy to get to whether by plane, train, bus, coach or car. And there will be plenty of hotels nearby to suit all budgets. Everyone may be playing games in one big hall/room or different events may be in different rooms but with a central trade/admin area. Whatever venue is chosen, it will be a place that is used to hosting big events and providing tables, chairs and catering.

I ran the WARMACHINE tournament at Game 06. It was a great day out and I will be involved in running the WARMACHINE/HORDES Game 07 tournament.

nick
22-07-2006, 19:31
I've been pondering this and I'm probably going to ask people to list the army they are planning to take so that we can choose sides which are suitable. This said, if we simply made the battles random we would end up with infighting which can occur during large battles. I.e the nids fighting for control of a sector for their own gain.

Nick

nick
22-07-2006, 20:08
I've had an update about the venue... see below:

The venue we're looking at in B'ham is a major conference facility with its own free parking, but without its own accommodation, However it is situated right next to several hotels (Thistle, Quality, Apollo and others) with
prices ranging from 17.50/night for one of the more modest hotels up to
35+. We're looking into any special rates we can negotiate with the above
hotels.

Tables shouldn't be a problem other than they're likely to be the standard
30" x 72" that these places use.
The boards are narrow but we might be able to sort out something bigger. I'll be in discussions about this for a while longer so feel free to give me any feedback you can think of.

Nick

starlight
22-07-2006, 20:13
You can always take tables and rest them on top of the convention tables (GWCan does this all the time).

nick
22-07-2006, 20:43
You can always take tables and rest them on top of the convention tables (GWCan does this all the time).
This is possible. Its still early days so as soon as the venue is confirmed we can look at the exact details of the boards etc...

Nick

marv335
25-09-2006, 11:44
anymore info on this?
i'm getting an inclination to field a death corps army in a tournament (it'll force me to paint it)