PDA

View Full Version : Special Characters and Lustria

Brett E.
17-06-2005, 05:18
I've just been purusing the Gav's thoughts on Lustria thread. Very interesting, but I wanted to create a new thread about the requiring of a special character to play an army.

A guy in my gaming group, who's been playing Warhammer a lot longer than I have, believes that GW is tired of special characters not being used and is forcing them into use.

I have no problem with special characters (I'm not an old-schooler ;) ) and at first I didn't think anything wrong with forcing armies to contain them. However, their use in Lustria killed off any chance of a campaign in our group. People did not like having their character options dictated to them. Plus, the points cost of a feasible Pestilence army is beyond anything we usually play at. Lustria was DOA at our game store.

What effect do you think a required special character has on an army and the game?

Boondock Saint
17-06-2005, 07:33
I have noticed that often times, having a certain special character not only dictates your hero slots, but also how your army plays overall. This I find a real turn-off as it severely limits your options in a game that is based around individuals and their personal flare for an army.

In any case, a lot of the special characters are costly for what they do, especially the mini campaign special characters.

amagi
17-06-2005, 08:06
I agree with the previous two posters.
Rather than repeat my arguments though, I'll just put in a plug for the post that explains it all. :D
Posts # 144-145, page 15 in the Gav's thoughts thread:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2233&page=15&pp=10

sulla
17-06-2005, 08:08
I have noticed that often times, having a certain special character not only dictates your hero slots, but also how your army plays overall. This I find a real turn-off as it severely limits your options in a game that is based around individuals and their personal flare for an army.

Surely this is what special characters are for...to either epitomise an army's playing style in the fluff or to break the style and allow an army to play differently to those led by normal characters.

In any case, a lot of the special characters are costly for what they do, especially the mini campaign special characters.

Sure they are. Thats a balancing factor used by GW to ensure not every army is led by a special character. They are almost always more expensive and less powerful than a custom hero.