PDA

View Full Version : first GW store in austria

sigur
17-06-2005, 16:44
Yup, you heard right folks, the first GW store in Austria opened today. Unfortunately I couldn't get there, so I'll visit it tomorrow. It's said that it's only 2mēsmaller than Drakenburg. I'm not overly excited, but it's interesting to visit a GW store for the first time.

I'll give you a report of my first visit there tomorrow, if you want it or not. ;)

The boyz
17-06-2005, 20:58
Sounds good. let us know how you get on. and what it is like.

Delicious Soy
18-06-2005, 02:51
Did they have an opening sale?

Lord Balor
18-06-2005, 04:37
Goddammit, why oh why do i always think Australia when i clearly read Austria? Here i was thinking it was a history lesson or something. Ah well, Sigur the stores are generally nice enough although i cannot saythe same for the people. There should be an opening sale that goes on for a few days to stabilise its position.

I'm still eagerly awaiting GW's Artic base, but by then it will be all too late :eek:

sigur
18-06-2005, 10:59
Goddammit, why oh why do i always think Australia when i clearly read Austria?

It's because Austian scientists implant little chips into english-speaking people's heads at their birth for we can keep up this stereotypical prejustice that all english-speakers always mess up those two countries. There are some really odd comedians who based their career on jokes about that.

You can be happy though, just think of the problems the Australians have when they think of themselves as Austrians. ;)

@Delicious soy: The official opening will be next week or so. I'm definitly hoping for an opening sale, but GW lowering prices, even if it's just local and for a few days? Naaaah.

update on my lil journey: It's hooooot today, but I have to go there. Here ya go GW, get ready for another sweaty, slightly overweight customer.

Azazel
18-06-2005, 13:59
Opening sale? Can't say many stores have opened near here but do they do that? Might make a trip to an opening worth it.
Games Workshop has got such deep pockets do they bother with opening sales though? If one store makes a loss, loads more make a profit that'll probably cover it.

FlameKnight
18-06-2005, 15:37
Opening sale? Can't say many stores have opened near here but do they do that? Might make a trip to an opening worth it.
Games Workshop has got such deep pockets do they bother with opening sales though? If one store makes a loss, loads more make a profit that'll probably cover it.

The opening sales that I've been to have been weeks after the store was actually opened.

They're really cool! The ones I've seen have deals like three regiment boxes for the price of two. Last time I went there, I bought six :o.

I suppose they are worth it to GW though, they sell warehouses full of stock in days from one store, and really expose the hobby to the masses; whole sections of shopping centers become devoted to the event.

sigur
18-06-2005, 16:06
Okay, I just returned from shopping and my journey to the GW store. Ohmagawd, it was great! I really liked it there. 4 gaming tables (although 2 of them were pretty small, maybe for test gaming of 40k and fantasy), almost no people in there and one painting table with a staffer drybrushing new Tyranids. All staffers were very friendly and backed off after I told one that I have some years of experience with 40k.

On one gaming table, they have the FW fortress they got to Vienna for the first Gaming Day one month ago and it looks fantastic. (It would look even more fantastic if one of the long-barreled autocannons wouldn't have broken off :rolleyes: ) Another table shows a scene from Lustria with a temple and all...

But maybe the coolest thing (apart from the lifesize Space Marine at the front of the store) was the staffer behind the counter who looks exactly like a dwarf. He was really nice when I asked him for the WDs which they hadn't got yet.

All in all I'm quite euphoric. The only thing I fear is when masses of kids appear and the place gets overcrowded. Till then I'll try to show up quite often there, try to have some games, try to get some compliments for nicely painted minis and become the local store weirdo. ;)

Samoth
19-06-2005, 06:55
Yah, they used to do opening sales left right and centre in Oz, a couple of years ago when they opened a few more stores in each state. Things like buy 3, get 1 free (blister and boxed sets), 25% off battle forces, paint sets marked down etc, and they usually came in coupon form.

Those opening sales used to be da bomb, and they were usually a couple weeks after the store opened so that the sale could be advertised for a little whole in white dwarf, rather than at the start of the month (just when the mag came out).

sigur
19-06-2005, 11:03
One question: Is it possible to just pop up at a GW store with your mini case and have a game if anyone else has his army with him/her?