PDA

View Full Version : UK White Dwarf 307 feedback

Pertinax
18-06-2005, 19:11
In tradition of Portent, lets get the feedback going again.

Your opinions of this month's WD?

Insane Psychopath
18-06-2005, 20:54
This is the one with Nids vs Guard with Deathwatch in there.

My view: It is a lot better than it had been. Just last few month the WD did not seem to offer much, but now it came back up with a few thing.

I like seeing George Dellapina Bloodletter conversion. Must mean he take Bezerker to the UK GT heat then.

I got to say it is good.

Can't wait to see next month which should be out next Fri or after that????

philbrad2
18-06-2005, 22:13
Nid overload ... Nice to see the killteam rules for them and non-GW created killteam from Hivefleet Moloch. Superb models. Only had a flip through the rest of the mag, not a bad issue.

:chrome:

t-tauri
18-06-2005, 22:39
This is the one with Nids vs Guard with Deathwatch in there.That's 306 this thread is for 307

Can't wait to see next month which should be out next Fri or after that????
307 has arrived with subscribers a week before store release as usual.

Didn't find it that impressive at first flick through apart from the Wood Elves who semm to be rather nice. The Nid kill teams were interesting though I'd already seen Moloch on the web.

I was most disappointed that we've another month to wait for the Thousand Sons/Guard campaign stuff to appear in the UK. ** Curse you UK White Dwarf**

Paul Sawyer has apparently cut all ties to WD to become a Marketing executive (presumably still in GW but it's not clear). Sad to see him go in many ways as he'd been a fixture for years and done a great many good things for the publication.

Samoth
19-06-2005, 06:10
That's 306 this thread is for 307

Dont know about Insane psychopath, but here in australia that was last issue, the kill team rules, various races kill teams, the nid/guard bat rep.

Wonder what we get this time that you guys got in june?

The boyz
19-06-2005, 11:43
That's 306 Paul Sawyer has apparently cut all ties to WD to become a Marketing executive (presumably still in GW but it's not clear). Sad to see him go in many ways as he'd been a fixture for years and done a great many good things for the publication.

Yeah I agree I miss Paul Sawyer he was great and did alot for the publication.

Insane Psychopath
19-06-2005, 12:15
Ohh right didn't know the new one was due out this week then... I should really resubscribe (sp) to it.

Lostanddamned
19-06-2005, 13:44
This is quite a let down after the past three, it is very much aimed at LOTR, Nids and Lustria, to the virtual exclusion of all else.

A dissapointment

Lavfluris
20-06-2005, 06:13
As a whole, WD 307 sadly underwhelmed me. The last few issues were very good in my opinion, and unfortunately, this issue does not keep the same pace. I am not sure whether that is because I had no interest in the majority of WD 207’s content, or because it was genuinely a weak issue.

The articles that did grab my attention were A Tale of Four Gamers, Building the Beast, Tyranid Kill-teams and the Kill Count battle report (refreshing to see a skirmish rather than a battle once in a while). The rest of the 40K and WFB articles were flicked through whilst I skipped the LOTR section.

MidnightResistance
20-06-2005, 09:21
If the LOTR section could be cut out...burnt, stamped on...etc, the space in White Dwarf would be better filled.

Heck, they should have made a seperate publication for LOTR.

Crube
20-06-2005, 10:15
Always skip the LOTR section - I personally feel the game is an abomination that was purely designed to fill GWs coffers in the short term (but thats a different thread...)

The rest of it, although I dont collect Nids, or play any Lustrian games - I still found it to be an enjoyable enough read - kills the monotony on the bus to and from work at least.

Elf bits were interesting (naturally) and I am looking forward to 308 (more wood elves....). Also sad to see Paul go. Worked with him more than once when at GW - he was a top bloke - albeit a Notts county fan - ho-hum!

MidnightResistance
20-06-2005, 10:33
I still found it to be an enjoyable enough read - kills the monotony on the bus to and from work at least.

and WarSeer helps us get through the rest of the work day :D

Always skip the LOTR section - I personally feel the game is an abomination that was purely designed to fill GWs coffers in the short term (but thats a different thread...)

I agree.
Bad minis
Bad rules
Bad to play
LOTR was bad and wrong -it's Badong!

As if GW wasn't bad enough 4 years ago, it totally sold out to lotr for a fat pay cheque.

Yorkiebar
20-06-2005, 17:35
Not another LotR argument...

Anyway, I think that the issue was pretty useless unless you're a Tyranid player, in which case it's awesome (lucky me!). Even the Lustria section was pretty bad, and the quality of miniatures in the magazine was well below average.

Kimi
20-06-2005, 18:45
Anyone care to give a article list? (feel free teh skip the LotR bit). I'd like to know what in it before I go get it.

Ethereal Alpaca
20-06-2005, 20:22

I disagree. They should just not have made Lotr at all...

Still, this isn't one of those discussions.

I think this issue was pretty boring Warhammer-wise. The 40k section might have been interesting, if I played or was even considering playing 40k any time in the current year. :o

For WFB, it's just Lustria. And I HATE Lustria. :cries: Tale of Four Gamers was good, as per usual though.

EDIT: Man, reading through this post I sound like such a WFB fanboy :eek:

Avian
21-06-2005, 13:10
Anyone care to give a article list? (feel free teh skip the LotR bit). I'd like to know what in it before I go get it.

Warhammer
Wood Elf preview - nothing you haven't heard before if you visit this forum.
Conquering the Jungle - fairly useless Lustria "tactics"* (too much repeat of the Lustria rules, not enough actual tactics)
Jungle Terrain - how to set up a jungle battlefield (boooring!)
Handmaids of the Gods - new fluff (splatt goes the kitty) and fairly decent as well. Rules for an amazon priestess, fairly silly but thankfully require opponent's permission
Tale of Four Gamers - the Lustria campaign goes as we suspected. Mostly a recap of three battles, very few new minis featured.
The Realm of the Sea Dwarves - more fluff (there goes another kitty), including some stuff from good old Man o' War :) Includes rules for a fairly useless band of Dwarf RoR which can be taken by Orcs :wtf:

40 K
Leading the swarm - very decent Tyranid tactics
Tyranid Kill Teams - again a very decent article with plenty of inspiration for converting, including a sample team
Kill Count - a battle report where the intent is seemingly NOT to make the "old" army lose in the dullest way possible. Continue this trend, please!
Building the Beast - Guy constructs a badass Carnifex. REALLY nice
Tyranid invasion - first scenario in a sort of mini campaign, not bad
Constructing a mycetic spore - how to make a £20 terrain piece. WTF??? :wtf: This is insulting! How about something the average gamer can actually afford to make a decent ammount of? Idiocy!
Convershun Klinic - highly amusing Tau Battlesuit conversions

Lord of the Rings
Lay of the land - okay terrain article, including one on how to make tents (I think I'll make some for my greenskins)
The Last Alliance - mini-campaign with rather fuzzy rules (are you really meant to be fighting 250 pt armies vs. 750 pt armies? At least it has some decent scenarios
The Battle of Fornost - A very cool scenario, wish I played the game
Enemy at the gates - more siege equipment, plenty of inspiration for fantasy players as well
The Bigger they are - Mûmak vs. Balrog arena of death

The Astrnomican
No tip from a "hobby expert" this time. Maybe they realised it was rather a waste ("When playing battles, try not to be an absolute jerk!")
A bit on texturing bases which I thouht was pretty nice
Letter page - oh, no, they've returned to the habit of printing letters from a reader living under a rock somewhere complaining: "Waaaah, will X be out, soon? It's about time!" with the reply: "Don't worry, X is out next month!" This month, X is of course Wood Elves. I suspect they just make these ones up.
It should please some players that rules for the old Tyranid SCs should be up on the website soon :)

Verdict:
Decent if you play 40K or LotR, nothing much to speak of if you don't.

* if I played Red Host Lizardmen (one of the two featured armies) and read the article looking for tactics I would be rather disappointed to find that a lot of it is just a repeat of my army's rules.

Inquis. Jaeger
21-06-2005, 14:57
Overall - okay. Not the best ever, and as mentioned above, catering very much towards a few niche gamers - those who collect LOTR, Nids or anything Lustria-related. Not really anything all that interesting for anyone else. Shame, but here's hoping for the Guard-spin next month!

de Selby
22-06-2005, 13:51
Warhammer
The Astrnomican
No tip from a "hobby expert" this time. Maybe they realised it was rather a waste ("When playing battles, try not to be an absolute jerk!")
A bit on texturing bases which I thouht was pretty nice
Letter page - oh, no, they've returned to the habit of printing letters from a reader living under a rock somewhere complaining: "Waaaah, will X be out, soon? It's about time!" with the reply: "Don't worry, X is out next month!" This month, X is of course Wood Elves. I suspect they just make these ones up.

Like those problem page letters in teenage girls' magazines?

Actually I've been enjoying the letters page so far. And the hobby stuff is refreshingly different.

On LOTR; half the stuff is usually terrain building anyway. This is useful for all systems.

It should please some players that rules for the old Tyranid SCs should be up on the website soon :)

It will please me! A good issue for nids, methinks.

MODS! Could we start stickying the WD thread again please?

Pertinax
22-06-2005, 14:21
Will do...

Imbroglio
22-06-2005, 14:25
how to make a £20 terrain piece. WTF??? :wtf: This is insulting! How about something the average gamer can actually afford to make a decent ammount of? Idiocy

Unfortunatly to make high quality, good terrain, you sometimes need a budget. Sure, I'd never be able to afford to cover my table in £20 terrain pieces, but when I have the space for a proper table, I think I'd aim to maybe build one high quality centrepiece to go alongside a new army.

The best materials for creating the best effects do come at a price - personally I applaud WD for including a project that requires somethign of a time, money and energy input. I've felt for a long time the magazine has been lacking in the realm of HQ terrain - they only need to show us how to make walls and houses out of cereal packet card and such like a few times.

Regards,

-- Imbroglio

Avian
22-06-2005, 14:40
Unfortunatly to make high quality, good terrain, you sometimes need a budget.
There is a difference between using a feather and using a chicken. If you cannot see the difference, make sure someone else checks you pillow before you go to sleep. :eyebrows:

In other words: They don't have to use cereal packets to make something that doesn't cost £20. There IS a middle ground. :rolleyes:

Insane Psychopath
22-06-2005, 14:51
I should be getting my copy tomorrow. I should really redo my mail order

Like those problem page letters in teenage girls' magazines?

No.. no anthing but that.. no......!!!! it bad enough we here it from our girlfriend or sister & there friend but not the WD lol

What are the converted Battle suit like?????

Sgt John Keel
22-06-2005, 14:54
As for me, I can't bother doing one of my usual writeups this time.

Anyway, I really like the new series where they explore the cities of the Warhammer World. It's exactly what I've been looking for in the White Dwarf. It's nice they're getting some more depth into the Warhammer World too.

The Lord of the Rings part was the worst I've read in ages. I don't collect it, but I still read it, because I have paid for it. Not this time though. It's barely worth a glance.

Most of the 40k content was not interesting/useful if you don't play Tyranids. Let's see, there was only Tyranids. Oh, and Orks as the opponents in Kill Team.

In fact, I feel that the Fantasy section was the best this time, even though it wasn't much to hang in the Christmas Tree. But the snippet on High Age Artifacts were somewhat amusing.

Keep up The Wayfarer's Companion. It's truly the best thing you've ever done.

/Adrian

Avian
22-06-2005, 15:18
What are the converted Battle suit like?????
There is one in a flat out sprint and one that looks like it's jump pack has gone haywire (this probably wasn't intentional, but the result is amusing :D). The second one also uses a drone for the head

Insane Psychopath
22-06-2005, 15:22
The second one also uses a drone for the head

Ohh god no :eyebrows:

Sorry tho I not see it... it sound like somthing a noob would do??? sorry if anyone do it but to me it just sound like a noob thing.

Ethereal Alpaca
22-06-2005, 15:39
Ok, firstly, it actually looks cool. Secondly, the word "noob" belongs in CS and Runescape. Not here.

Insane Psychopath
22-06-2005, 15:45
Sorry man. No just as said it something I thought a new memeber would done. It would look cool right enough but it just one of those where it like hummm would it work???

No offence mate but saying that it bit hard to read your text as it in the dark blueish (sp), I had to highlight it with the mouse to see it better. Sorry but just with the dark background there man & dark lettering don't mix. No offence man.

Samoth
22-06-2005, 17:09
Lol, was just thinking that myself. :p

Ethereal Alpaca
23-06-2005, 07:57
Oddly enough, so was I. :p

No offence mate but saying that it bit hard to read your text as it in the dark blueish (sp), I had to highlight it with the mouse to see it better. Sorry but just with the dark background there man & dark lettering don't mix. No offence man.

No need to keep apologizing. If anyone could take offence from that, it probably isn't worth trying not to offend them ;)

Insane Psychopath
23-06-2005, 22:45
So I got my new White Dwarf today....... :o man that Drone head tau s......

I know you all said but now & then there is one or 2 think in the WD that cool & helps.

I just thing it to the fact because of all the new armeis & try to make them big... while the older WD where cooler show GT armies & how then went around making them which was cool

de Selby
23-06-2005, 23:03
So I got my new White Dwarf today....... :o man that Drone head tau s......

I know you all said but now & then there is one or 2 think in the WD that cool & helps.

I just thing it to the fact because of all the new armeis & try to make them big... while the older WD where cooler show GT armies & how then went around making them which was cool

While the blue text is indeed hard to read, this is even harder to read.

I just spent (literally) a minute or two just trying to understand what you're saying. What I think you're saying is:

"I got my new White Dwarf today.

I did not like the tau head conversion.

Sometimes White Dwarf contains good ideas, which are helpful.

In the past White Dwarf contained features on GT armies, but now they only feature newly released armies in order to increase sales"

Is this what you're saying? It's really hard to understand you.

Again, no offence meant.

Rathgar
24-06-2005, 23:01
Average issue.

Highlights: Barak Varr article. I very much like these background articles. More please!

Lowlights: As always the LOTR section, I don't mind it being there so much just the fact that seems to be covering the same ground over and over again.

Jedi152
30-06-2005, 09:03
Average issue.

Highlights: Barak Varr article. I very much like these background articles. More please!

Lowlights: As always the LOTR section, I don't mind it being there so much just the fact that seems to be covering the same ground over and over again.
Agreed 100%! I just hope we get more background stuff. WD seems to just be all conversions and battle reports nowadays.

Good news about Marco Columbo. Will possibly spring for the mini.

Tau conversions look ok, positions are a bit poor. At least they didn't try to make them look like gundams, the usual Tau conversion! And Yay! a massive article on how to pose mini's that have been out for a good few years! (gaunts) - but Carnifex modelling wasn't too bad.

And i never even bother looking at the LOTR section. Even the terrain they make in there is poor. And Rathgar is right, you can hear GW scraping the LOTR barrel everytime you open a WD.

The boyz
30-06-2005, 11:17
The Barrak Varr article was great to read. I really enjoyed reading that.

Yeah I do agree they do seem to be dragging this LOTR stuff out a bit.

venusianfurs
30-06-2005, 17:35
Good news about Marco Columbo. It was all a bad dream?

de Selby
30-06-2005, 19:48
Terrain:

Actually I rather liked the LOTR tents.

The tyranid spore shouldn't really come in at £20, it should come in at £12 plus whatever a polystyrene egg costs. Anyone with enough tyranids to need tyranid terrain has spare devourers floating about already, but that being said, if I had £12 to spend on lictor arms I'd buy myself a lictor.

I'm already thinking about an IG encampment (for the price of ten paper towels and some cocktail sticks).

Battle report was an interesting change of pace, I reckon. Guy's carnifex blew me away (all hail the goblin king, etc.), I'm currently trying to adapt (steal) his colour scheme for my half complete army.

Anyone not interested in 'nids lost out a bit though, IMHO.

Jedi152
01-07-2005, 08:44
It was all a bad dream? :D

I meant that it was good that GW were starting to release mini's worldwide!

And i actually like it! It would make a good paymaster for my proposed DoW army.

highmarshaldave
04-07-2005, 15:31
For the first time in a while I don't think I'll bother getting this WD. They've all been poor over the last few months, but this one was even worse. I can think of only one thing that'll liven up White Dwarf, one think that'll make me buy it without fail. . . BRING BACK MIKE WALKER!!! Please?

Dave out.

Inquis. Jaeger
04-07-2005, 16:55
For the first time in a while I don't think I'll bother getting this WD. They've all been poor over the last few months, but this one was even worse. I can think of only one thing that'll liven up White Dwarf, one think that'll make me buy it without fail. . . BRING BACK MIKE WALKER!!! Please?

Dave out.

I'd say the WDs have been of a consistently higher standard over the last few months. Guy Haley's editorship has been, in my view, thusfar excellent, with a generally higher standard of articles, less advertising and more interaction and communication to the fan base, as well as listening to what we want, rather than to what GW want to sell.

However, the return of Mike Walker would be very welcome. That is part of my '3 things to change in WD' pantheon, along with a) Banish LOTR to it's own dedicated magazine and free up space and resources for the proper games lines and b) more 'my experience' style articles - following a gamer's army from conception to Grand Tournament. In 40k, obviously. Had enough of WHFB's stranglehold on Tales of X Gamers. Besides, in this Tale, they don't even let us see full photos of the army each month - one of the best things about the first one IMHO

highmarshaldave
04-07-2005, 21:53
Admitadly, yes. The new team is doing a mighty fine job, and the editorials provide some Mike Walker-esque humour. But its the poor standard of articles that is the problem. Submisions, anyone?

Dave out.

Rabid Bunny 666
04-07-2005, 22:14
the articles do seem to be a bit "dead"

mike walkers return would be awesome, with his tales of dwarven thongs and little dave :D

highmarshaldave
05-07-2005, 11:00
I assure you I am NOT Little Dave.

(Not little) Dave out.

x-esiv-4c
05-07-2005, 13:01
If the LOTR section could be cut out...burnt, stamped on...etc, the space in White Dwarf would be better filled.

I totally agree. The amount of space given to LOTR in WD does not reflect it's popularity at all. That space coule be much better used.

tzeentchgiant
05-07-2005, 14:00
Personnaly I thought this month was dissapointing (too much advertising, even if it is in a different place, and I know I shouldn't complain about this here, but I think LoTR has passed it's sell by date in WD, let it die, or atleast shrink).

Another thing I thought was a bit bad was the specialisation in fantasy and 40k, sure enough I like nids and Wevles. But honestly, the entire fantasy section being taken up by a campaign report and stuff about an army that hasn't even been released yet, is anyone else looking on the internet and finding it to be a suitable substitute for WD? I know I am, and the entire thing about nids, overkill, I think so, they have a lack of diversity of material, not a lack of material, so they are now repeating themselves, very dissappointing in my eyes.

I don't know if I will resubscribe, things can only get better though, or at least that's how the songs go.

TG

Jedi152
05-07-2005, 15:53
... and I know I shouldn't complain about this here, but I think LoTR has passed it's sell by date in WD, let it die, or atleast shrink).
TG
Agreed, bit IIRC GW has a contract with New Line to keep LOTR in the spotlight for so long. Hence we got poor articles on how to make ships and the like.

LOTR gamers do get their own publication, Battle Games in Middle Earth, but i don;t know if it's aimed at getting new people into the game or what.

I'm a big fan of the new bit at the back. Can't remember the name of it offhand. Good rust techniques last month, and some good basing ideas, even if i do use most of them already!

Ether
05-07-2005, 17:21
Bit disappointed really. Nice to see them print a critical letter of how the company was being run a few years back though.

tzeentchgiant
05-07-2005, 20:12
The battle games of middle earth is unfortunately, even more inferior to the stuff in WD (yes even more than that), so the LoTR folks still have it a bit cooshty with WD.

Sadly the BGoME is targeted at new level gamers, but for starting yourself it's exellent.

Still, WD should decrease the astronomical section at the back, anybody with me?

(don't bother answering)

TG

de Selby
05-07-2005, 21:21
What was wrong with the ships? I liked the ships. I thought it was refreshing to read a half dozn pages on modelling (useful for WHFB too), without a single piece of product placement. And the astronomican section contains a lot of stuff I want to read too.

You can please all of the people some of the time...

tzeentchgiant
05-07-2005, 21:45
Yes but is twenty eight pages of advertising not too much?

I think it is, just having a fifth of the mag taken up by phone numbers doesn't really appeal to me

(note I am counting some of the stuff at the start as advertising, and not counting the hobby and tips and question of the month as advertising)

TG

de Selby
05-07-2005, 23:54
Well you can count the whole magazine as advertising if you want.

As far as the Astronomican goes:
1p ad for warhammer world.
1p contact for gaming clubs.
2p events listing.
2p ads for online/phone
1p Q&A, assorted gubbinz.
1p advance orders ad.
2p parts lists
6p european stockists lists.
4p basing details
2p letters.
1p subscription ad.
1p WD 308 preview.

I'd say the vast majority of this is at least going to catch the attention of some of WD's readers. For example, someone will want to check where their nearest supplier is or see what events they can attend, and be pleased to find the information in this months WD. Only the subscription, phone/online store and WW ads don't meet this test, although they work fine as far as drawing our attention to things we already know about (pure ads: 4p).

I'm really only interested in making the general point that the advertising level in the mag is better than it has been for a long time, and unlikely to improve further. If they do take out the stockists listing or similar, the magazine will just get thinner, not better.

tzeentchgiant
06-07-2005, 08:43
Yes yes yes, I'm not saying the back section doesn't contain some good stuff, becaus it does, it's just would it kill GW to make one phone line for each country, where you can be redirected from.

I suppose it might, but that won't stop me whining about it, I just wish they'd make it more coherent in the back section, with less stuff in general.

Do you not feel that once you've reached that it's the end of the mag? I do, and I always feel a bit of me die when it is half advertisments.

I just want hobby, and a bit of games, and personnally if they're devided by a page of components I don't mind, it's just I feel the magasine is cut short, containing only stuff relevent to a couple of things, drifting around.

Basically I liked WD under Sawyer's rule, but that's for another thread.

TG

Inquis. Jaeger
06-07-2005, 11:17
Yeah the Astronomicon bit does seem rather bloated. Although part of me recognises that it is merely the collected advertisements that used to be throughout the mag, another part of me questions whether all that stuff is really needed. Why tell us what the web team is up to this month when it would be much better to just publish that online? Why bother reprinting the phone numbers a dozen times. The old WD in it's heyday never used to do that. There was one page on how to contact Mail Order, then several pages of components and bitz for the stuff released and featured in that mag (very very useful in the days before Online Stores). Fine give us a letter page, but why do I want to know about a indy game store in Reykjavik? Print a different section for those WD UKs destined to be sold outside the UK.

The biggest thing they could do to make WD better is to get rid of LOTR and devote it's resources to WHFB and WH40K. Print a separate LOTR mag aimed at those who play the game, rather than burdening the rest of us with it. There's no problem of revenue, as the new mag itself would generate it. Perhaps then you'd see the true fan following of LOTR (ie sales of WD increase, and the LOTR Mag does so poorly it becomes a Specialist Game :p)

highmarshaldave
06-07-2005, 11:46
Hang on, why not drop the LoTR stuff and REPLACE it with specialist games stuff? A kinda trimmed down version of Fanatic? That could work. . . maybe?

Dave out.

Jedi152
06-07-2005, 12:09
That would make me the happiest bunny ever. But the chances of it happening are probably closer to zero than you could imagine.

highmarshaldave
06-07-2005, 12:11
What if we all spam WD with requests to do just that? Whats the worst that can happen? They say no?

Dave out.

f2k
06-07-2005, 12:33
@highmarshaldave

Won’t happen. GW sold their soul to get the LotR license, and now they have to keep their part of the bargain…

highmarshaldave
06-07-2005, 14:41
And this fact saddens me. In fact, a staffer in my local GW got threatened with disciplinary action 'cos he refused to learn the LoTR rules, or collect and army. . . or even bother to play it. *shakes head saddly*

Dave out.

Riddy
06-07-2005, 15:40
Hang on, why not drop the LoTR stuff and REPLACE it with specialist games stuff? A kinda trimmed down version of Fanatic? That could work. . . maybe?

Dave out.

That would be THE greatest thing GW had done since the revision of WFB, i would love to see a specialist games section in WD, there used to be (Oh how i used to enjoy reading the Mordheim articles, before Mordheim was an actually official game) and i dont see why it would be so hard to put it back in. It might even make me pay for a subscription to WD...

Jedi152
06-07-2005, 16:36
... It might even make me pay for a subscription to WD...
To be honest i'm teetering on getting one now. This would seal the deal! Or a special offer like a £10 voucher like you used to get! :rolleyes:

f2k
06-07-2005, 18:19
And this fact saddens me. In fact, a staffer in my local GW got threatened with disciplinary action 'cos he refused to learn the LoTR rules, or collect and army. . . or even bother to play it. *shakes head saddly*

Well, that’s the price for making a pact with the Devi… errrh, New Line...

Ahmmm, on a more serious (and on topic) note, I actually enjoy some of the LotR articles. The new rules and warbands articles are getting old by now, but some of the terrain articles are quite good. I liked the “How to build the Mines of Moria” and “How to build a ship” articles…

Jonik
07-07-2005, 10:41
Yeah I enjoy the LOTR articles. They're more hobby related than most of the magazine....

Nurglitch_PS
07-07-2005, 12:42
I have leafed through it in WH Smith. And I have found absolutely nothing to convince me to part with 4GBP. The Wh40k section is just a spacefiller.

Gazak Blacktoof
08-07-2005, 13:41
I'll usualy read the white dwarf over the course of a day, maybe two. But this one didn't have a great deal of the articles I was interested in so it took me over a week to trawl through it.

The dwarf and amazon background articles were pretty decent, but there wasn't anything else of note for warhammer. As somebody else noted above, in the current tale of X gamers you don't actually get to see the armies the guys have made, which makes it kind of useless.

The 40K section had nothing in it that appealed to me though I've come to expect this playing necrons and still waiting for them to re-do eldar. I imagine it'd be a nice issue if you had nids and the articles in there are pretty much what you'd expect when a new army is released, basic tactics and modeling articles.

The battle report was rather poor, it looked like it was trying to be an inquisitor battle report, being rather small scale and both players doing things because they thought it would "look cool" :rolleyes: which doesn't come over well in a magazine article. The article would have been much better if it had used a narrative style rather than just, "I scored a 2, which wasn't too bad" which is rather dull when kill team games can't be used to demonstrate 40K tactics, they'd have been much better off just telling a story IMHO.

The LOTR section would have been good if I'd played LOTR and wanted to participate in the summer's campaign, so nothing to complain about there. The LOTR section’s here to stay for the foreseeable future, no point continually grumbling about it taking up space. Giving up some of its space once in a while to specialist games article or two wouldn't break my heart too much though.

WD 307- Toilet reading material

thecuckoo
08-07-2005, 14:16
WD 307- Toilet reading material
Hey! Have you been spying on me??

tzeentchgiant
08-07-2005, 14:31
WD 307- for use when finished on the toilet

TG

Gazak Blacktoof
08-07-2005, 14:39
WD 307- for use when finished on the toilet

TG

That's probably a little rough...

tzeentchgiant
08-07-2005, 14:57
Yeah, I prefer regular toilet tissue too, the coloured sheets are a bit rough, and the covers...ouch.

TG

Darius Rhiannon
17-07-2005, 18:42
Actually I am happy with it for one reason.

There were no Space Marines. Yay! Yay!

A dream comes true...

Sgt John Keel
17-07-2005, 19:49
Yeah I enjoy the LOTR articles. They're more hobby related than most of the magazine....

Usually I read them just because I paid for them, but this time - campaing stuff and nothing else. Horribly boring.

/Adrian

Thorpe
23-07-2005, 05:50
Its important to remember that we have Fanatic to act as a magazine/webzine for all the Specialist Games, and it succeeds at that goal. No point in adding more articles to White Dwarf. What would be a really good idea, would be to buy out The Last Alliance (a huge-mega LoTR website jam-packed with hobby and gaming articles), and use it to advertise LoTR, take some of the material, jam it into Battle Games in Middle-Earth and vacate LoTR from White Dwarf.