PDA

View Full Version : Thirteenth Black Crusade

khedyarl
19-06-2005, 02:05
I recently picked up the 'Thirteenth Black Crusade' book, that details the span of the Eye of Terror conflict. I am quite pleasantly surprised by it. Rather than glossing over the Chaos assault and making it a tie, it is quite abundantly obvious by the book that the Imperial and Eldar alliance was outmaneuvered on nearly every side, and eventually fought into a little corner in which they are unable to escape.

Even though it is written from a Guard commanders point of view, it still manages to pound the fact that Chaos really did win into the reader's skull. It is a thousand times better than the aftermath White-Dwarf article, and the Website's Newsletter.

Anybody else find anything on the big thirteenth worth reading? Working on a project, and I need aftermath information.

-Conan

Myst
19-06-2005, 02:17
I recently picked up the 'Thirteenth Black Crusade' book, that details the span of the Eye of Terror conflict. I am quite pleasantly surprised by it. Rather than glossing over the Chaos assault and making it a tie, it is quite abundantly obvious by the book that the Imperial and Eldar alliance was outmaneuvered on nearly every side, and eventually fought into a little corner in which they are unable to escape.

Gwaah? If I recall correctly, the Imperials had a firm control of nearly every space-lane in the campaign...? If they needed to escape, I figure they would of had ample means to?

Frankly I am surprised they wasted so much time making a book about it. The way the campaign was run was a ******** joke that made the last online Armageddon deal seem like a masterpiece...

khedyarl
19-06-2005, 02:26
Sigh. That is not exactly what the point of the thread was, I really do not want it to devolve into the same old argument of the space lanes vs. planetside wins.

Any information upon Aftermath would be much appreciated, however. I'm not sure how much is actually out there.

Myst
19-06-2005, 03:02
Sigh. That is not exactly what the point of the thread was, I really do not want it to devolve into the same old argument of the space lanes vs. planetside wins.

Any information upon Aftermath would be much appreciated, however. I'm not sure how much is actually out there.

I wasnt? I was merely questioning the accuracy of the book based on what happened in the campaign.

As for the Aftermath, don't hold your breath. I clearly recall an editoral in the US WD a few months ago stating they deliberatly don't follow up things like this and the SoC campaign so they can "leave it up to the players" to work it out. Sounds like a lot of jelly-spined BS to me but that is as close to an offical stance on the issue as you will be most likely to find.

x-esiv-4c
19-06-2005, 03:47
I've been wanting to read it from a fluff point of view. Now I really want to go get it since you say it's a treat.

khedyarl
19-06-2005, 04:03
Do not get me wrong, it is written by Andy Hoare, not a real writer {Heh}. If you are looking for great literature, well.. You probably shouldn't be looking in the 40k genre, but you get the point.

It is definately a fun read.

Grumnir
19-06-2005, 04:51
As for the Aftermath, don't hold your breath. I clearly recall an editoral in the US WD a few months ago stating they deliberatly don't follow up things like this and the SoC campaign so they can "leave it up to the players" to work it out. Sounds like a lot of jelly-spined BS to me but that is as close to an offical stance on the issue as you will be most likely to find.

IMO 'Leave it up the players' being most closely related to, 'yes it was fun and sold minis but it won't change anything'

As long as people remember that the actual fighting of the campaign was probably good fun they shouldn't get too miffed at the lack of fluff progress.

Nazguire
19-06-2005, 06:41
IMO 'Leave it up the players' being most closely related to, 'yes it was fun and sold minis but it won't change anything'

As long as people remember that the actual fighting of the campaign was probably good fun they shouldn't get too miffed at the lack of fluff progress.

It should matter. We got told that major repercussions would occur in the 40k universe depending on who won.

All that's happened is the same thing, cept Cadia is almost dead. Tau are stilll expanding, Necrons are still waking, Chaos is still rising, Tyranids are still eating, Orks are still growing and the Eldar are still dying.

Azazel
19-06-2005, 16:56
Yep. And in the Chaos Codex some (wrong) prophet says he'll become a Daemon Prince after the 13th Crusade (over the ashes of the Imperium bit hasnt quite happened yet).

So are we gonna have to wait for the 666th Crusade, or are there any nearer significant numbers?

Oh yeah, but Eldrad Ulthan died that was good. :)

Havent they already advanced the timeline out the the 41st? I thought we where about 50-100 years into the 42nd now. But still nothing significant.

Would it really have made a big deal if Cadia had been destroyed utterly? I know they have those pylons and it protects a lot of systems from Chaos Traffic. But they could always set up a second line defence. And let us Chaos Players destroy Cadia! :P

10,000 years of scheming and killing. What have they achieved?

lol nadda

philbrad2
19-06-2005, 17:04

DEJA VU its the 2003 UKGD 40K seminar again :D *sees black cat walk past the open door - damn they changed something*

I bought the book at UKGD last year and quite enjoyed it. Just a shame GW have'nt pushed post EoT 40K too much. As to the planetside vs space lines debate - what use is controlling space if there are no friendly planets to travel between! :D IW EoT Warsmith, member of PLANETKILLER, infiltrator of FoO command, and damned proud of it!!!

Anyone noticed that the Tyranid background in the codex and WD has mentions of Blis Corona where FoD Nids centred there action. See GW are picking up on what happened in EoT and slotting it into 40K, slolwy but surely.

:chrome:

Sgt John Keel
19-06-2005, 17:55
Would it really have made a big deal if Cadia had been destroyed utterly? I know they have those pylons and it protects a lot of systems from Chaos Traffic. But they could always set up a second line defence. And let us Chaos Players destroy Cadia! :P

The purpose of taking Cadia was to get a secure way out of the Eye in Chaos hands. Closing the gateway would be extremely stupid, as then the Chaos Marines would be trapped inside the Eye.

/Adrian

Scythe
19-06-2005, 18:54
10,000 years of scheming and killing. What have they achieved?

lol nadda

That's what I'm thinking about as well. At this rate, chaos will have torn down the imperium in about 100.000 years or so. Against that time, it has been overrun a dozen times by Tyranids, Necrons, Tau, or hell even Squats. Bottom line for the imperium: don't worry about chaos that much anymore.... :p

The purpose of taking Cadia was to get a secure way out of the Eye in Chaos hands. Closing the gateway would be extremely stupid, as then the Chaos Marines would be trapped inside the Eye.

/Adrian

Hmmm... why doesn't the imperium simply nuke the place then?

khedyarl
19-06-2005, 23:00
You know, I was pretty pleased to see the Triad mentioned in the Thirteenth Black Crusade book. {Along with a lot of references to the Ork Krusade smashing a large path through Scarus}.

Saw the mention, blinked, reread the statement, 'Abaddon and his three Advisors', and exclaimed, 'Hey! I've posted on Portent with Tzeentch2003!

Purple jesus.. writing that down makes it sound a great deal more pathetic.

:evilgrin:

Delicious Soy
20-06-2005, 03:20
If we're talking background, the Gothic War took 10 years to resolve, pretty much all of which involved Cypria Mundi under siege by the Chaos fleet. How many years took place in the EoT timeline? Two? Three? Cadia has come closer to destruction, like in the first Black Crusades when the Kasr's were of poorer design and were nearly undefendable against the traitor marines. The EoT campaign was an opening act, it simply shook the background up a little.

So far GW is batting 50% for actually descisive campaigns (Ichar IV and SoC being the ones that actually had decisive endings), lets hope the tone it down a bit in future ones.

TenTailedCat
20-06-2005, 03:25
Yep. And in the Chaos Codex some (wrong) prophet says he'll become a Daemon Prince after the 13th Crusade (over the ashes of the Imperium bit hasnt quite happened yet).

Is that the bit near the end? if so that guy was wasted by the chapter who's master he killed and ties to the frTnt of his thunderhawk during the EoT campaign, I remember being miffed about it because he also killed a force of Grey Knights and I was hoping They'd get to him first. :skull:

If it's not the same chap I just wasted your time. ;)

Scythe
20-06-2005, 18:02
If we're talking background, the Gothic War took 10 years to resolve, pretty much all of which involved Cypria Mundi under siege by the Chaos fleet. How many years took place in the EoT timeline? Two? Three? Cadia has come closer to destruction, like in the first Black Crusades when the Kasr's were of poorer design and were nearly undefendable against the traitor marines. The EoT campaign was an opening act, it simply shook the background up a little.

Chaos is trying to get Cadia for almost 10.000 years... And they've come closer... again.... but still not close enough apperantly.... :o

Tzeentch2003
20-06-2005, 18:10
Saw the mention, blinked, reread the statement, 'Abaddon and his three Advisors', and exclaimed, 'Hey! I've posted on Portent with Tzeentch2003!

Awww... you say the nicest things. ;)

Purple jesus.. writing that down makes it sound a great deal more pathetic.

Which goes to show you still have your sense of perspective. ;)

T2k3

khedyarl
20-06-2005, 21:07
Heh. It's good to see you back, T2k3.