PDA

View Full Version : The Plague (At time of C'Tan entering 'stasis')

Col.Gravis
19-06-2005, 21:22
Just a minor thought, the C'Tan were supposedly forced into stasis because everything was being killed by a Plague is that correct? (I'm rather rusty lol)

Sephiroth
19-06-2005, 21:48
Sort of. The 'plague' was actually Enslavers emerging from the Warp and wiping out large chunks of the species inhabiting the galaxy at that time.

Since the C'Tan rely on the other sentient species as cattle, they entered a stasis-hibernation to wait it out, until the galaxy re-populated enough to trigger their return.

Col.Gravis
19-06-2005, 21:53
Ensalvers? Are those the same as the Enslavers which appeared in Rogue Trader - and whats the source on that one?

Sephiroth
19-06-2005, 23:15
Indeed, the small mind-controlling nasties. And that would be the current Codex: Necrons for the source.

If you read Andy Chambers 'Deus Ex Mechanicus' short story (in some Black Library novel), it features a certain being who lived through that period, and informs that the 'plague' couldn't actually harm 'his' kind, but was killing everything else.

Damage,Inc.
20-06-2005, 01:56
If the C'tan are truely Star Gods and can do everything the fluff makes them out as having done then how come they ran and hid instead of crushing the Enslavers? And if the Enslavers are tough enough to scare the C'tan off, what can along and killed them?

Also, remember the rules for Enslavers in WD about a year ago? Can someone PM me with details, my copy is 3000 miles away currently.

Khaine's Messenger
20-06-2005, 02:16
The Enslavers are a "warp-pest," making them a bit of a problem for the C'tan to deal with effectively. I would imagine the Enslaver plague subsided due to "over-feeding." Further, the Enslaver rules are back up on the UK chapter approved site-->Enslavers (http://uk.games-workshop.com/chapterapproved/creature-feature/2/)

Damage,Inc.
20-06-2005, 02:47
Sweet thanks! I love it when GW posts their material! Also, the story still doesn't make sense. Something had to have pushed the Enslavers back. The C'tan aren't the kind to simply run, no matter how tough the prospect is, they ruled the galaxy for God's sake. You don't just throw that away. They are also conceited enough to not let some puny Warp race force them away. They'd devise something.

Khaine's Messenger
20-06-2005, 03:23
Actually, by the exact wording of the codex, the C'tan decided to let the Enslavers utterly gut the galactic population so that the C'tan and their Necron servants could start up again later. The primary issue was the competition the psychic races were inflicting on the C'tan, and the Enslavers, alongside some of the first and most violent warp storms, were doing a good job of annihilating the Old Ones and the Young Races.

Yes, I think it's questionable that they didn't just go head-to-head with the Enslavers and other warp-threats directly, but consider that the C'tan had already diminished their numbers significantly through infighting and had come to significant grief thanks to other certain warp entities (the Eldar Gods). They hardly "ruled the galaxy," although had they the patience they probably could have stayed awake and figured something out without having to resort to silly things like the "pariah shrew" ( ;) ).

As to what allowed the Enslaver (& co.) "plague" to abate...well, I would suggest that the situation merely re-stabilised itself. The Eldar became capable of protecting themselves, the Krork/Ork were probably simply too numerous to control, and the Enslavers themselves probably couldn't travel much thanks to the immense warp-storms being thrown up in the War in Heaven, which could have been the reason (or one reason amongst many) they manifested themselves so widely in the materium as to be considered a "plague." Mind you, I'm shooting in the dark. Most of the reference I've seen to it, I believe, merely mention that the Enslaver "plague" abates, and not if there was a significant event or series of events that led to that lessening of intensity.

Gazak Blacktoof
20-06-2005, 11:38
The enslaver plague was an unforseen consequence of the war in heaven, all those psychic races running about fuelled up, angry and blasting stuff allowed the warp to merge with real space letting the enslavers run amok.

At this point the C'Tan had already won the war in heaven but the enslavers were controlling and killing off all the races that could feed them. The reason stated in the necron codex for them going into hibernation is that they were waiting for the galaxy to repopulate itself. Presumably the ensllavers did such a good job that they erradicated most of the sentient life, only far flung colonies away from strong psychic activity survived.

Enslavers can't travel very far unless those they have dominated have a warp capable ship, that allowed the C'Tan to run off and hide for 60 million years. I'm pressuming that the old ones themselves were responsible for their side's fleet and its construction as the eldar are described as being pretty barbaric at this point in time.

Reinnon
20-06-2005, 16:25
Indeed, the small mind-controlling nasties. And that would be the current Codex: Necrons for the source.

If you read Andy Chambers 'Deus Ex Mechanicus' short story (in some Black Library novel), it features a certain being who lived through that period, and informs that the 'plague' couldn't actually harm 'his' kind, but was killing everything else.

i always thought it was a c'tan in that story

Damage,Inc.
20-06-2005, 16:37
Enslavers can't travel very far unless those they have dominated have a warp capable ship, that allowed the C'Tan to run off and hide for 60 million years. I'm pressuming that the old ones themselves were responsible for their side's fleet and its construction as the eldar are described as being pretty barbaric at this point in time.

What is your source on this? I have seen very little printed on the Enslavers. I odn't have my RT handy to check it right now, but other than that and the Creature Feature article I haven't seen too much about them.

icharus
20-06-2005, 18:04
I believe the c'tan in that story was none other than the Deceiver and by the sounds of it he never went into stasis but became involved with human mythology.
Do any of you know what that planet in the south of the Galatic plane is by any chance?.

Sephiroth
20-06-2005, 21:19

*Sighs* It was. I was trying to avoid spoiling it for the guy if he hadn't read it yet. :(

icharus
21-06-2005, 00:20
My apologies did not think straight open mouth and put foot in.

Brusilov
24-06-2005, 05:36
Enslavers are native to the warp, they don't seem to have any kind of technology, thus, as Blacktoof mentioned they'd need a warp capable ship to spread.

I think the plan of the C'tan was considering the method of the Enslaver invasion to wait it out. It had a double advantage. First, it would affect mostly the Old Ones and the servant races, as neither Necrons nor C'tan have psychic potential, although it would affect their slaves. Thus second, the C'tan hoped that the Enslavers would erase all psychic potential from the galaxy.
This derives from the fact that Enslavers use psykers as living warp portals.

Skander
24-06-2005, 07:56
Ok, but if the Enslavers use lesser psikerīs minds to open portals from where they spread, then they donīt really need space ships to travel. They just can go whereever an unprotected psyker is, and it seems that at this time nearly every psyker was unprotected...

Brusilov
26-06-2005, 20:23
That's actually a good question. But it would seem the Eldar had some protection against it and that they survived it. As to the Orks, that might have explained the dying of the Brain Boyz...
But I doubt honestly that even the Enslavers could go after every psyker in the galaxy. We don't know how easy it is for them to invade a psyker's mind.