PDA

View Full Version : I wonder Hammers Slammers VS Ogre Forces ?

acme2468
19-08-2006, 10:02
For those who have read Hammers Slammers and Steve Jacksons games Ogre/GEV fiction and are familiar with the technology therein. Have you ever wondered what would happen if two equivalent forces from these two universes fought? Can powerguns cut through BPC? Is the Hammers point defense sufficient to fend off HIVELOCS and Tac-missiles? I personally feel that the most likely result would be a bloody stalemate, what do you think?

Commissar Bone
14-09-2006, 03:09
Since there aren't too many OGRE novels out there, Drake will write the Hammer's Slammers "OGRE Under the Bridge" novella. In it, the Slammers will manage to overcome their inhuman enemy through professionalism, ingenuity, and sheer determination though at heavy cost. Like all of their stories. ;)

(And yeah, I do love that series.)

MAD MAN-A-TRON
19-09-2006, 14:59
What about bolos?

Epicenter
21-09-2006, 22:19
I loved Hammer's Slammers as a kid. Now that I'm older, I realize that Drake is pretty much entirely writing his books based on (his experiences in?) Vietnam. The guy's sense of technological advancement is nil - it's the same situations, same vehicles and same thinking with a slapped on veneer of "high-techness."

For that reason, and that reason alone, I'd hope the Ogres and GEVs would just butcher the Slammers to the last man. Then back over their blackened and crackling skeletons a few times.

Gen.Steiner
22-09-2006, 12:49
I loved Hammer's Slammers as a kid. Now that I'm older, I realize that Drake is pretty much entirely writing his books based on (his experiences in?) Vietnam. The guy's sense of technological advancement is nil - it's the same situations, same vehicles and same thinking with a slapped on veneer of "high-techness."

Um... how could you think otherwise? :confused:

On the other hand, there is technological advancement - how many M-48s could stand up to a blower, or even a 2cm powergun? "Armour? Bah, I burn through it from fifty miles away!"

Personally, I wouldn't really rate the Slammer's chances against an OGRE.

Montford981
14-10-2006, 13:57
Gotta go with the Slammers.

If the Colonel doesn't figure out a way to monkey-stomp the OGRES them Major Stueben will.;)

Easy E
10-11-2006, 16:53
Nerdgasm!

I honestly did not know OGRE had any fiction.

Can you site me some titles and authors? I'm interested in knowing more.

Damien 1427
11-11-2006, 22:09
Both would get eaten by an Ogrethulhu.

Gods I want one of those.

chromedog
16-11-2006, 03:20
OK nerdlings, lissen up!

Ogre is based on a series of stories called "Bolo" by Keith Laumer. Not all Bolos were ogre sized vehicles, only the really big ones. The more common ones were AI controlled tanks (regular sized - for tanks). Note that the bigger bolos surived being nuked.

Ogres are more like the Supreheavies in 40k. Enough big guns shooting at them will take them out.

The slammers panzers (or blowers) are still only regular size tanks.