PDA

View Full Version : Massive mountain fortress

FrAnKtHeFrEaK
21-06-2005, 18:42
Well, I've been displaying this everywhere I can so I guess here would be a good place as well!

For the summer campaign I am helping to run (http://www.bcedev.com/campaign/index.php for those of you who may want to join) I decided that we needed some sort of centerpiece, a megatable. For a year or two now I've had an idea of this massive mountain gateway, I had it all planned out. So, I decided to run with it (using the campaign as an excuse) and here are the results so far:

http://www.amunius.i8.com/photo.html

The doors do slide open and shut on it so that troops can move in and out. You're looking at about $100 CA worth of foam right there and a great deal of time and effort.

So, what do you all think?

x-esiv-4c
21-06-2005, 18:51
:eek: Wow! Thats really cool! How many man hours of work were put into that?

MidnightResistance
21-06-2005, 18:52
Nice website.
Your pop up ads are NOT SAFE FOR WORK! and my manager just had a go at me!

Vanus
21-06-2005, 18:56
Oh wow. That thing is huge. It looks great, I'd love to play with that as a centerpeice. Keep it up man.

x-esiv-4c
21-06-2005, 18:57
Nice website.
Your pop up ads are NOT SAFE FOR WORK! and my manager just had a go at me!

Firefox mate, download it...blocks all those nasties.

Anvils Hammer
21-06-2005, 19:21
WOW

that is awesome... just the sheer scale of it!

amazing work, it will look fantastic when its finnished!

x-esiv-4c
21-06-2005, 19:22
Perhaps you should add in a massive defence cannon, the kind built into a mountain side, something like that. Probably shouldn't be used in a game but would look cool!

FrAnKtHeFrEaK
21-06-2005, 19:30
:eek: Wow! Thats really cool! How many man hours of work were put into that?

Not sure really, haven't kept track.

I'd say somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 though.

Lord Setra
21-06-2005, 19:59
Really nice.

That is what the hobby is all about, determination and enjoyment in building something.

Once again very nice job.

Iron-Father S.N
21-06-2005, 20:04
Now that's some impressive work! :)

sigur
21-06-2005, 21:25
Very impressive. First when I red the text, I thought that this would be some kind of dwarven fortress from WHFB.

The size is amazing and I can't wait to see this thing finished. :)

:0)
21-06-2005, 21:38
Very cool! It reminds me a lot of Duke Nukem!

FrAnKtHeFrEaK
21-06-2005, 22:00
Thanks, I appreciate all of the comments!

I've just completed my last exam today so I will (hopefully) have more time to devote to this project.

I'm very close to finishing the assembly part of it, I intend to have that complete this week. Painting will be tricky as I first have to coat the entire thing in glue in order to paint it. At some point I also have to mail order some Land Raider weapon sprues to construct more defence turrets.

Working hard I can have this done in 2 weeks, however that's unlikely due to the fact that I'm getting a summer job.

FrAnKtHeFrEaK
22-06-2005, 23:12
Alright, finishing off the left cliff today and should have the right one glued together tonight. I'll post pics ASAP.

Punk_in_Drublic
23-06-2005, 08:11
Great stuff! How will you go about painting it?

LAter,

-Punk

Sojourner
23-06-2005, 08:42
Looks awesome. One thing thouh, IMO the statues are a little out of place. Still. amazing project.

for painting I'd suggest water-glue in a garden spray bottle. Might need a couple of coats but it'll get done fairly quickly.

Or you could just use emulsion and a big brush.

rkunisch
23-06-2005, 09:54
This is indeed very impressive. :eek:

I would second Sojourner and say that statues simple do not fit. Maybe a large Imperial Eagle in the middle of your construct would serve you better.

Have fun,

Rolf.

mattjgilbert
23-06-2005, 10:49
That thing is huge!. Now all you need is a 24' table in front of it :D

It'll look awesome painted up

The boyz
23-06-2005, 11:02
That looks well, bloody brilliant.

FrAnKtHeFrEaK
23-06-2005, 17:10
Looks awesome. One thing thouh, IMO the statues are a little out of place. Still. amazing project.

for painting I'd suggest water-glue in a garden spray bottle. Might need a couple of coats but it'll get done fairly quickly.

Or you could just use emulsion and a big brush.

That's a great idea for painting it! Far more efficient than a paintbrush. That'll save me loads of time.

As to the statues, I'm inclined to agree. I'm looking into some inquisitor-scale stuff to replace them, they are kind of small.

Sojourner
23-06-2005, 18:18
I kind of meant that their being on the doors looks a bit odd.

Liam
23-06-2005, 20:08
ever seen the film: "Guns of naverone" ?
if so i think you should add some guns like they have on them, kinda built into the walls, or maybe soemthing a bit like battery de longues above omaha beach?

personalyl i tihnk it looks incredible, maybe you could find some sort of artwork to put on the door (liek the big bronze door in the book storm of iron) :skull:

Easy E
23-06-2005, 21:47
Impressive. The price and satisfaction sure beat Forgeworld.

What is the length of the wall. Does it go short edge to short edge or long to long?

FrAnKtHeFrEaK
23-06-2005, 22:42
The wall is 8 feet long, and it goes long edge to long edge.

At most this table will be 8' by 8', right now I only have enough foam for it to be 8' by 4'.
Hopefully I'll have enough for at least and 8' by 6' by the time I play.

Jedi152
24-06-2005, 09:06
Excellent!

How did you detail the polystyrene for rock?

FrAnKtHeFrEaK
24-06-2005, 17:03
I took an exacto knife, blade closed, and just dragged it across the polystyrene. It makes a huge mess, but it makes for great rock texture.

Serpent
25-06-2005, 06:34
Looks very good. I am duly impressed.

Before you do the painting, I hope you'll cover everything with filler and when it's dry, sant it down. Because painting right on top of polystyrene is... ugly.

Serpent

UberPope
25-06-2005, 07:09
I took an exacto knife, blade closed, and just dragged it across the polystyrene. It makes a huge mess, but it makes for great rock texture.

I am confuse, I would like to use this technique with my rocks. You say an exacto, with the blade closed?

How do you close the blade?

Maybe exactos are made differently where I am from, but we just have the straight handle with a clamp thing at the end to hold the blade.

Unless you are talking about the jack knife folding style. In this case would just a regular jack knife work?

FrAnKtHeFrEaK
25-06-2005, 23:25
I'll post a pic of it, I'm planning on doing an article on this whole thing so I took pictures of everything like that to help show it.

The Exacto I use has a retractable, disposable blade on it. It can be lengthed or shortened by loosening the dial on it and then pulling it out or pushing it in respectively. The blade is can be broken apart when the topmost part becomes too dull. Maybe you have another name for these, hopefully that description will help until I get around to the pic.

Sgt John Keel
25-06-2005, 23:34
Amazing work, but it would have been so much cooler if it had been the fortress gates of Karak-a-Karaz. ;) Imagine the size of the besieging army!:eek:

/Adrian

PBGhost
25-06-2005, 23:57
I believe Frank is refering to what is otherwise known as a Box Cutter.

Norminator
21-07-2005, 16:37
What's happend to it then? It's not on the link anymore, and I just wondered what the finished board looked like.

tzeentchgiant
21-07-2005, 17:14
Link still works for me, very impressive BTW.

Truely awe inspiring

TG

mirakel_jocke
21-07-2005, 17:46
Wow!

Fantastic work! I would love to see teh article of how you made it when it's finished!

/Mirakel_Jocke

maraxis
21-07-2005, 18:44
That is a beast of a wall, it looks great, cannot wait to see the finished product. How do you slide the walls/doors (are they in a track of just free standing???)

Willem_the_white
21-07-2005, 19:01
really amazing, People would kill to play on such a table.well maybe not kill....err...they will kill ON the table :)
no really, a cool board, nicely executed so far!

Crux
21-07-2005, 21:15
Whee! Thread Necromancy!

That little outburst aside, this stuff looks, for lack of a better word, amazing.

Oh, wait, I found a better word:
SWEET HOLY EMPEROR ON A POGO STICK! THIS IS SWEET! :eek:

Mojaco
22-07-2005, 10:43
Really awesome. I'd love to place my Titan behind that for a nice dramatic unvieling :D

Anyway, those small statues might work better if you'd do it like Gothic churches did. Lines upon lines of statues of all sorts of holy people and heroes. As mentioned, the giant eagle would probably be best.

Edit: I've looked up a picture to illustrate my point. Here it is:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b294/Pinkreaper/Gothicbuilding.jpg

maraxis
22-07-2005, 12:45
I would also do a google search for images of the Duomo in Milan Italy. there are over 300 life sized statues on that edifice, also the gothic feel of that cathederal is inspiring. . . ALso the doors are about 20 or so feet high. . . Huge is an understatement. ..

Inquisitor
22-07-2005, 13:54
Very nice. Would like to see some photos of the finished project.

Puffin Magician
22-07-2005, 23:43
Unfortunately the builder hasn't been online here in a week and if you look on his main page, he only updates it once a year. Might be a while before we hear from him again, but I'm glad he's posted it here to inspire others [me included]. :p

scarab_cake
21-03-2009, 14:55
this is looking out of this world, my friend. Please, post some more pics of it as soon as it's painted... some pics of it in use would look awesome as well. consider me subscribed
dave

scarab_cake
21-03-2009, 14:56
sorry, didn't see the date of the last post. eep

II Orar II
22-03-2009, 01:13
wow that takes some doing amazing i wanna see more pictures:cool:

Sttucker13
26-03-2009, 03:00
this is looking out of this world, my friend. Please, post some more pics of it as soon as it's painted... some pics of it in use would look awesome as well. consider me subscribed
dave

You subscribed to a four year old dead post. I laughed so hard I think I might have busted some stitches.

static grass
27-03-2009, 12:17
It looks like Puffin Magician's prophecy was right then :D

Bookwrak
27-03-2009, 14:45
Well, I guess I'm inspired, even if not subscribed. It's given me ideas for making some hillside bunkers.

scarab_cake
27-03-2009, 21:40
You subscribed to a four year old dead post. I laughed so hard I think I might have busted some stitches.

rofl. like I said, I didn't see the date