PDA

View Full Version : Skullz What Happened To Them?

Quetzl
23-06-2005, 09:23
I was thinking the other day about Games Workshop giving extras to people who spend lots on the hobby... And it hit me!

Does anyone here remember Skulls, those shiny silver stickers with that cobalt blue coloured Skull. Because I certainly do, and it made buying about 100 worth of figures okay because you would get about 100 Skullz or something like that...

But the great thing was that you could excange your Skullz in for stuff, so if I remember correctly, 100 Skulls could get you a Regiment of anything.

If anyone remembers this then please post what you did with them afterwards... And if you don't have a clue what they are then just post :wtf: ...

Personally I think Games Workshop should bring this little gimic back in, as it would certainly make buying 100 worth of stuff, sort of bearable as you can get a regiment for free :D .

Gaebriel
23-06-2005, 09:31
I remember hearing of them, but I wasn't in the hobby at that time.

What I think was even better, was getting some of the limited run models, those you can only get for big cash on eBay these days.

And in general, I think as a buying incentive, or as a little "thank you" from the company it was a nice idea.

Riddy
23-06-2005, 09:52
You got 1 skull for every 10 you spent, you could collect as many as you wanted and there were different gifts for 10, 25 and 50 skulls. Things like VIP passes to warhammer world, ltd ed space marine standard bearer, signed art prints and an ork bust plus other, less fancy stuff like belt buckles and pens.

WLBjork
23-06-2005, 11:25
The VIP days werew great. I went on one of them, and you got to buy from MO at the prices they charged to their employees.

My mate went critical collecting the skulls - he got at least 4 VIP tickets, as well as at least one of each of the other prizes on offer!

Makaan
23-06-2005, 11:34
me and my brother started in the hobby back then, and with quite little money we aimed at a cup with a fanatic on it. We got 24 skulls, but then the program closed :cries:.

Starting up again would be a great idea from GWs side, i would definately bey more models and stuff, just to have some of the limited models.

Melchor
23-06-2005, 12:11
I heard it had something to do with the introduction of LOTR and the New Line contracts.
From what I've heard GW is not allowed to provide special deals for their other core games (WFB and WH40k) as long as the New Line contract lasts. They are also not allowed to provide special deals on LOTR stuff.
The combination of these two 'facts' (don't know if they are true) leads to GW not being allowed to run special deals for the Warhammer game as it would detract from the LOTR sales.

It was a nice program by the way. I got me a Bolt Pistol key chain :D.

Delicious Soy
23-06-2005, 13:05
It was a nice program by the way. I got me a Bolt Pistol key chain :D.Dammit! Thats what I was going for before the thing ended, I already had my Ltd ed Empire Std and Ltd ed SM Std. It would be good to see GW bring back something like the skullz program or the occassional sale. Even better, how about throwing in a free blister with a WD sub like they used to!

x-esiv-4c
23-06-2005, 13:18
I always wanted those Ad-mech limited miniatures that were only available from the Skullz....They should bring that system back

Brandir
23-06-2005, 13:23
I think a return to Skulz would be a good idea.

It allowed GW to get rid of many many many old minis dressed up as 'classics'!

This New Line thing I don't fully know about, but I do remember that Mr Kirby stated a few years ago that GW would not be holding any more sales as they didn;'t want to devalue what they wanted to be thought of as a quality product. Probably some suit had just been on an MBA and heard that one shouldn't discount quality products!

Bring back Skulz!

Karhedron
23-06-2005, 13:51
I am pretty sure that Melchor is right. Their license from New Line prohibits them from offering discounts and rewards on Warhammer stuff as it might detract from sales of LOTR. Skullz were very cool (and dirt cheap on eBay :D) but since the LOTR license still has some years left to run, I don't think we will be seeing them back any time soon.

Ophidian
23-06-2005, 13:51
The money off opportunity I miss more than the Skullz is the Grand Opening/Re-Opening. Now why don't they do those anymore...

Jedi152
24-06-2005, 11:16
I genuinely don't understand why GW doesn't do a 'loyalty card'. Something like you earn 10p (or whatever) for every pound you spend.

Surely it would attract a few people from eBay etc to buy their things from the stores again.

Brandir
24-06-2005, 11:19
I genuinely don't understand why GW doesn't do a 'loyalty card'. Something like you earn 10p (or whatever) for every pound you spend.

Surely it would attract a few people from eBay etc to buy their things from the stores again.

I think you are right.

Earning points to get special edition minis would be a great way of keeping custom.

Crube
24-06-2005, 11:20
The money off opportunity I miss more than the Skullz is the Grand Opening/Re-Opening. Now why don't they do those anymore...

Agreed - I worked in the Derby store when they had a Grand Reopening - Great Khorne it was manic. We took something like 25 times our normal Saturday takings in one day....

People would come for miles, and in the run up we'd sell tons more WDs with the vouchers in. Some of the stuff you could get free was amazing, especially if the staff were on your side and rang up the purchases to your benefit... :D

Jedi152
24-06-2005, 11:26
Agreed - I worked in the Derby store when they had a Grand Reopening - Great Khorne it was manic. We took something like 25 times our normal Saturday takings in one day....

People would come for miles, and in the run up we'd sell tons more WDs with the vouchers in. Some of the stuff you could get free was amazing, especially if the staff were on your side and rang up the purchases to your benefit... :D

There GW! From the mouth of a staff member! Grand re-opening days generate more sales!

Maybe that just goes to show that GW has monkeys chained to typewriters making their business decisions now...

Sai-Lauren
24-06-2005, 11:31
There GW! From the mouth of a staff member! Grand re-opening days generate more sales!

Maybe that just goes to show that GW has monkeys chained to typewriters making their business decisions now...
Although now GWs coverage is a lot more widespread, how badly would it affect other stores in the run-up to the grand openings?

Crube
24-06-2005, 11:33

Well ex staff member - that was in 1995... :D

And it does affect other nearby stores, although there were tales of them getting their customers to buy Gift Vouchers to use at our Grand Opening....

It depends on how close the other stores are. The Derby reopening affected GW Nottingham (no WH World then) and vice-versa, but Leicester was pretty much unaffected. With there being more stores now, the effect would probably be greater - eg Derby Reopeining, potentially affects stores in Burton, Loughborough, Nottingham, WH World, not to mention more independents...

Brandir
24-06-2005, 11:35
Do GW have Grand Openings for the European/US stores, like we have had for the UK stores in the past?

Etienne de Beaugard
25-06-2005, 15:48
I remember Skullz. They are how I got my Bretonnian general. The promotion was fun, but the prizes usually weren't worth paying GW prices.

I had a friend who made massive purchases during the Skullz promotion. He obtained full Wood Elf, High Elf, and Eldar armies directly from GW mail-order. I ended up with a grass mat from him, since he had so many Skullz.

Skullz were $20US of purchases each, IIRC. Since you could get a 15% discount or more at many online retailers, you basically were paying $3 per Skull. A ltd. ed. mini was 25 Skullz, or 'worth' $75. Since most of the promotion items were previously released, you could get them on ebay for a lot less than you 'skulled' for them.

panda
25-06-2005, 16:02
The best way to deal with them was to go in with mates and split up the ltd stuff, so that each person had a preference if they were out of stock of some things. In this way, (and because I kicked up a huge stink when they hadn't posted out my miniatures 6 months after the promotion ended) my brother and I ended up with 2 ltd SM bearers, a ltd dwarf bearer, a ltd empire bearer, 2 ltd Delf bearers, 2 ltd vampire bearers, a ltd orc bearer and umpteen classic minis. And the rorts you could get away with at a Grand Opening- head toward the youngest register boy and 'help' him with the groupings for discount....wheee!

Lord Setra
25-06-2005, 16:26
Would really like to see a return of the skulls. I personally thought it was one of the better schemes that GW ran.

I would really like to see a return to the Grand openings, because as has been said they really did pull people in and made Gw a hell of a lot of money.

The boyz
25-06-2005, 20:19
Yeah I remember the Skulls. I couldnt really be bothered though with them. I tried to collect them but only got about five than I just forgot about them.

x-esiv-4c
25-06-2005, 20:24
Still as a promotional deal it was quite good.

anarchistica
25-06-2005, 20:51
Ah Skullz, now that was a fine system. We managed to get 3 and a half card full, or something. We bought for over 1500 guilders at a sale (for 7-ish people), keeping all the skullz for ourselves. I still have my 1,5 set of Dwarf Lords of Legend and the Vindicare T-shirt.

Baggers
25-06-2005, 23:44
I only ever got the Empire Standard bearer out of it. Wanted the Orc got the Empire instead.

Eversor
25-06-2005, 23:53
:chrome: I've got the signed Blanche and Gallagher Inquisitor prints hanging on the wall. Wish they'd made the Kev Walker one as well to complete the trio...

Anyhow, as has been said, the reason we don't see a similar promotion at the moment is the LOTR contract. While it seems like a silly agreement, it's a small price for the company to pay to get a license like that.

Antaeus
26-06-2005, 00:37
I liked Skullz: in fact, I've got a collection book in my bottom drawer with a few stickers in place *sigh*

I got the old Assassin model (which I used as an Eversor),an Eldar poster, and a Citadel Catalogue (the 2000 one). Damn good promotion that one. Back in the days when GW didn't take itself seriously (Mail Order Trolls, etc)

t-tauri
26-06-2005, 09:04
I used to love the Skulz and the Grand Openings. Something for nothing was ideal. I used to wait for big purchases until there was a grand opening near-by and go and buy a unit or an army for 2/3 the cost.

I asked a manager why no sales a while back and the party line is that GW customers would be annoyed to pay full price for something and then find it on sale a week later.(!!) When I raised the point about HMV/Virgin and DVDs/CDs/games then GW products are somehow different as they don't go out of date. Clearly why all the old rhino chassis kits just vanished from the shelves when they could have been sold cheap.

Stock control is better these days so they don't have thousands of blisters no-one wants to sell off at 1 a go.

The real reason I think is the nutty contract with New Line which has killed everything resembling a special offer even on massive overstocks. Since LotR came out there have been no sales in GW shops and I've been told by several "in the know" people that's the reason.

Brandir
26-06-2005, 09:35
There is a strong rumour that when GW moved to it's present Lenton location, staff 'discovered' thousands of blisters (including loads of Gothic). This resulted in a massive sale in Feb 1998/1999 (can't quite remember the year) when I was sold bagfuls of Gothic and Imperial Guard blisters for 1.00. This was GW's last sale.

Baggers
26-06-2005, 09:38
There is a reason why there was a lot of gothic stuff on sale that year but not what Brandir has suggested. but I wont say what.

Gaebriel
26-06-2005, 10:20
Do GW have Grand Openings for the European/US stores, like we have had for the UK stores in the past?
We don't have. I've never seen any GW discount program over here (that is, in the last two years) - we get to purchase the ltd. Dark Angel Veteran Sergeant at openings, but AFAIK that's normally worldwide.

The only discount option is eBay... :(

The boyz
26-06-2005, 11:12
Still as a promotional deal it was quite good.

Oh yeah it was a good idea. I wish i did collect more of them, you could get some pretty cool stuff.

anarchistica
26-06-2005, 11:55
Sometimes. We had one here about 5 years ago. Granted, we only have 4 stores here and 1 on the way so it might be unusual because of that.

This was GW's last sale.
Do you know what people say about the Dutch? It's true. :D

We have a sale at GW Amsterdam every year. At first it was just a tool to get rid of excess stock, but later on they decided it was an annual celebration of the store's opening.

Don't read the following if you normally buy at full price and have a weak heart.

Discount during those sales ranges from getting WD's for 1 Euro to a 85-90% discount on outdated models and never collected Mail Order stuff. Outdated can also mean simply being in the old packaging. I got 4 Minotaurs at 85% off while the models haven't changed...

t-tauri
26-06-2005, 12:33
There is a reason why there was a lot of gothic stuff on sale that year but not what Brandir has suggested. but I wont say what.
Oh come on. You can't leave that one just hanging there....

Brandir
26-06-2005, 15:49
Well that was what a blackshirt told me and I always believe everything they say. Don't you?

Karhedron
27-06-2005, 11:02
There is a strong rumour that when GW moved to it's present Lenton location, staff 'discovered' thousands of blisters (including loads of Gothic). This resulted in a massive sale in Feb 1998/1999 (can't quite remember the year) when I was sold bagfuls of Gothic and Imperial Guard blisters for 1.00. This was GW's last sale.
I don't know for sure but you could be right. I remember going to a GT in early 2000 and there was a massive sale of BFG stuff going on, I got most of my Chaos fleet there. A mate of mine picked up a lot of metal Guard squads at the same time.

Jedi152
27-06-2005, 11:05
I recall when Warhammer World was the tiny store downstairs they had a permanent sale section upstairs. Selling off end of line products, damaged good etc.

Excellent! I managed to get 2 repulsive grand cruisers for 3 each, before they were officially released (they were released for a few days and then recalled, then rereleased a month or so later). I picked up loads of the old white top paints for 10p each too. I still have loads today!

kermit
29-06-2005, 00:04
I loved Skulz!

I picked up the Adeptus Mechanicus set that way. I got 8 skulz stickers for a WD subscription and picked up the rest online! I think I bought the set for about $70US in the end. I haven't done anything with them yet, but they are cool.

I think any sort of reward program would be good... I have about $500 worth of stuff I want to pick up...

Brandir
29-06-2005, 07:53
GW should reintroduce Skullz and use them like Tesco/Sainsburys loyalty cards. You know, extra Skullzs for buying certain products. The scheme should also extend to independent retailers.

thecuckoo
30-06-2005, 11:05
Last time we had a sale round here there was a 'buy two get another one free' type thing. So I bought two IG Praetorian Guard boxed army deals, at 75 each. That means I got another 75 box free.

So now I have three of the things, still in the box, sitting up my loft gathering dust.

When will I ever learn?

The boyz
30-06-2005, 11:35
I can once remeber when my local GW had a sale, They where selling of old blister packs for the 5th edition/ 6th edition change over. I managed to buy about four blisters of the old Dark Elf spearmen at about 5 for two blisters I think.

Vberg
03-07-2005, 12:12
Ah skulz. What a cool promotion that was back in the days when i burned 100's of pounds on Warcrack er i mean warhammer. Ive still got three complated skullz booklets, i was saving up for a few VIP tickets for me and a few friends but Lotr came and urinated on my parade.

The days of the GW sale are long gone i think. There are so many young kids in the game now who will buy the stuff at what ever price they see little reasons for sales and promotions now not whilst us miserly vets make up so little of their customer base. Its just a theory but i think it has some truth.

Ive always been courious what GW now do with the end of line stock they must have siting in a warehous some where. Id like in particular to get my hands on the old empire batalion boxed set.

Keravin
03-07-2005, 12:31
It's due to the old GW sales I got a few High Elf chariots and a few of the never released mage.

Thalin
07-07-2005, 18:46
Yeah I remember these, were they really that long ago?

I remember getting an Ork model with them, and still have the card in my cupboard holding 20 odd stickers, pretty annoying that I just never got round to using them.

It's great that people still remember these, as they were around when I first got into the hobby and they bring back happy memories :)