PDA

View Full Version : Marauder Daemons

venusianfurs
23-06-2005, 18:11
http://www.solegends.com/marauder/index.htm
Down near the bottom of the list, below Chaos Centaur Lord, are listed MM95A-B:
Greater Daemon of Khorne-Tzeentch. What were these? Where can I find pictures of them?
The same for the Centaur Lord too, actually.

Marty D
24-06-2005, 14:31
when i first got into the GW hobby about 5 years the old school models and styles really eppealed to me

and they still do!

these links may well be the models you're looking for;

Bloodthirster (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=9911010210000&orignav=301116)

Tzeentch blokey (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=9911010210200&orignav=301116)

a quick GW search for a 'chaos centaur' revealed nothing but chaos dwarf centaurs - who still look great IMO

but other than these guys i can find no other centaurs, however i cant find any classic dragon ogres either so they've probably just been wiped out by GW (harsh)

Eversor
24-06-2005, 15:31
:chrome: Hmm, not sure if those two are Marauder miniatures originally. Both the Bloodthirster and Lord of Change were sculpted by Mike Perry, who never worked for Marauder. And I've never once seen them labeled as anything but Citadel sculpts.

Some of Marauder's sculpts were incorporated into Citadel though, so I could be completely wrong. It wouldn't be the first time ;)

Riddy
24-06-2005, 16:06
Oh the fond memories i have of fighting that bloodthirster in 40K 2nd Ed, oh how fun its statline was: Ws10 Bs- S8 T7 W10 I10 A10 Ld10 iirc i never once killed it in about 100 games against the damn thing.

Still a nice mini though and i prefer its head to the current Bloodthirster's, although it is the size of a moder day Daemon Prince, so would not fit one.

Crube
24-06-2005, 16:15
I'm sorry, nice as these clssic models are (fond memories...) but 27 :wtf:

Brimstone
24-06-2005, 18:27
You can see Chaos Centaurs here. (http://www.solegends.com/citcat88/0214roccentaurs.jpg)

Trench_Raider
25-06-2005, 04:27
Brimstone, I think he was refering to the marauder centaurs rather than the citadel ones.

I recall seeing some painted examples of Marauder Centaurs in the second Realm of chaos book. if you have acess to that, you might look there.

I'm sorry, nice as these clssic models are (fond memories...) but 27

heh...don't get me started on that.
Call me a paranoid, but I see the unjustified high cost of the "classic/collector" range and recent reductions in the same as signs of GW's ongoing campaign against the use of older models.
For the record, you can usually find the first model greater daemons on Ebay for a veyr low cost. I picked up a decently painted Keeper of Secrets for less than $20US last year.

"Trench Raider"

x-esiv-4c
25-06-2005, 04:35
Oh damn, those Chaos dwarves still look pretty sweet!

Brimstone
25-06-2005, 06:01
Brimstone, I think he was refering to the marauder centaurs rather than the citadel ones.

I was under the impression that the marauder ones were incorporated into the citadel range eventually and are one and the same.

Trench_Raider
25-06-2005, 06:20
I was under the impression that the marauder ones were incorporated into the citadel range eventually and are one and the same.

True, much of the Marauder line was brought into the main citadel line after the demise of that company. Honesty. I'm not certain if the Centaurs were one of those. I'll have to look into it closer.

"Trench Raider"

Edit: Ok, from what I can tell (and remember) the Maruader centaurs had metal torsos mounted on plastic horse bodies. This catalog page shows the citadel line with the metal bodies:
http://www.solegends.com/citcat912/c20278rccentaurs-h.htm

Now these metal body centaurs are all I remember being available after Marauder closed in the mid '90s and those were out of production by the late '90s. Also, as none of the other miniatures in marauder's chaos line made into the main Citadel catalog this leads me to believe that the centaurs did not either.

I may still be wrong, though as I'm not a specilized collector. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can shed some light on this subject.

venusianfurs
27-06-2005, 12:11
I think some but not all of the Marauder stuff became Citadels' own, and all the given links show Citadel models. Marauder tended to look different, like cartoons, somehow, or maybe it was just me. But thanks for the help, all.

Sai-Lauren
27-06-2005, 12:42
Some background.
Marauder was set up by Aly and Trish Morrison as an independant company when they both left GW. Bob Olley set up Iron Claw at the same sort of time, and I believe the Perry's started their own work then as well.

They did have a distribution deal with GW though, and I believe they eventually got re-absorbed back into GW (IIRC, their marriage ended around this time as well).

Aly certainly appeared to be one of the senior designers in GW from what he was saying at Salute.

Sharky
27-06-2005, 21:26
I remember the Centaur Lord - a huge miniature galloping forward firing a bow - very nice looking. (Certainly better than the Morrison's recent offerings) I'll have to dig around in my old WD pages - if I find a picture of it, I'll put it up.

Never heard of Marauder doing a Bloodthirster, though...I'd love to see that. The links that were put up are just the ancient Citadel ones.

EDIT: Never mind - I was thinking of the "normal" centaur.