PDA

View Full Version : Black Tree Design

The one and only James
24-06-2005, 07:40
I'm not to sure where to make this thread, but, any way for those of you who have ever ordered form Black Tree Design, what is the scale of thier miniatures? Is it a 20mm-25mm base like GW? I was unabable to find anthing on their website about it.

http://www.black-tree-design.com/

strv
24-06-2005, 10:25
28 mm
"Black Tree Design manufacture thousands of superbly detailed metal miniatures, all in 28mm."

Jedi152
24-06-2005, 11:09
I've only really looked at their WW2 range, which is frankly, crap.

But their dungeon accesories range isn't too bad. Love the gibbet, which i might buy to hang from a tree.

Crube
24-06-2005, 11:17
Just had a peek - not really impressed. Maybe I've been spoilt by the new GW Wood elves but they just don't seem ... well right really. To my mind, they kinda look like GW did about 15 years ago

I agree that the dungeon accessories look pretty good, as long as they dont have a body in them, and i do like the snake swarm for some strange reason...

I don't know what base size they use, but they look like they should fit on GW slotta bases pretty easily

nurgle_boy
24-06-2005, 11:28
i dont know,m i quite like some of the fantasy stuff.
the wraith lords, imho, are really nice
cough, copyright scandal (http://www.black-tree-design.com/btdcat.php?ctry=uk&lng=gb&rangenum=16&typenum=171&qty=0&sub=&shp=&tot=)

Hlokk
24-06-2005, 11:46
Take a look at their rat men range:

Verm-ogres (which come with handlers)

Plague monks
Slaves
Sewer runners

I recon someones setting themselves up to get sued

Arnizipal
24-06-2005, 12:19
Wouldn't be the first time. I seem to remember they had an Odorf the Halfling in their Lotr rage :rolleyes:

LionoftheBegs
24-06-2005, 12:58
They are suffiently far enough from the GW design to get sued. If your going to sue BTD, you might as well sue GW for thier knockoff of StormTroopers, Terminators, Chaos and the other stuff they have which is a blant ripoff of movies and other stuff.

Just because you don't like thier minitures doesn't mean you have to sue the company. Look around you, you GW-holics, and veiw the miniture world as it is.

RandomZombie
24-06-2005, 14:22
Never! G.W is the only company for me! *Runs off down the street into the distance, falls into sewer*

Jedi152
24-06-2005, 14:24
Just because you don't like thier minitures doesn't mean you have to sue the company. Look around you, you GW-holics, and veiw the miniture world as it is.
Unfortunatly some of us don't know anyone else that still plays warhammer and so has to play at GW gaming nights! and therefore have to use GW minis! :p [/sympathy]

Freak Ona Leash
24-06-2005, 15:38
YAY! Another GW hater(s)! Its becoming like a drug, I swear...Andhas anypne seen BTD's Nightling Fanatics? Hmm, goblins who live in caves and swing chains with large weights on the end...*coughripoffcough* The Dwarf Greatbeards are classy though :rolleyes:

LionoftheBegs
24-06-2005, 17:03
YAY! Another GW hater(s)! Its becoming like a drug, I swear...Andhas anypne seen BTD's Nightling Fanatics? Hmm, goblins who live in caves and swing chains with large weights on the end...*coughripoffcough* The Dwarf Greatbeards are classy though :rolleyes:

A GW Hater? No Way. I wouldn't be because every figure for the Lizardmen in 5th edition they brought out I bought. I wouldn't be a GW hater because I use Ebay and bartertown to buy the newer Lizardmen.

I would be called a Other-Miniture user because I have reaper mini's in my Lizardmen army. I would be a Other-Miniture user because I have just recieved 6 Reaper minitures for my Icewind Dale 1/2, Baldur Gates 1/2 forces. I would be called a Other-miniture user because I have Sythians, Achmenid Persians, Kara Koyunlu Turkmen, Mamluks and Timurids while my wife has Sassanid Persians, Samartians, Ottoman Turks, White Huns, Safavrid Persians. I would be called an Other miniture user because we just brought [a month go] Kara-Katai for me and Parthians for her. As far as I know GW will never make a historical figure, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Would you say I am informed about others? Sure. Would you say I fight agianst GW-Exteme L33T fan-boys? Of course. Just because you think GW "Are The haXoXrz" doesn't mean that they are all squeeky clean. Before BTD would be sued, I think you GW would be sued first because its so mainstream. Just opening you eyes.

Freak Ona Leash
24-06-2005, 17:13
Sarcasm is your friend man ;) And I never said using other minis in your army wasnt cool. I use all Old Glory and Essex minis in my Albion-themed army. Except for the Giant. You just seemed to be another anti-GWist on these boards due to the phrase GW-holics. Sorry for my hasty, and sarcastic, statement.

EDIT: And I do not think GW is the "haxzorz". I think they have a horrible business model, charge too much and have some difficulty making good customer/producer relationships(biggest understatement I have ever made in my life :rolleyes: ). But I do think they still make good rules and therefore still play their games. So no, I am not one of GW's l337 fan-boys. Sorry to disappoint you.

nurgle_boy
24-06-2005, 17:29
im not a gw fanboy, or a hater. i really buy, because most of the models are adecent quality, and i have a store nearby. for me its inconveniant to buy over the web, due to lack of cards.

i pity those that hate G.W, as they are putting down a company that produces some of the nicest minis that can be found. and whats this hobby about? Minis!

if they hate G.W, why not hate rackham, or reaper? or if their that bothered, why dont they just play with bits of paper, or even better, P*ss off and go play scrabble with mummy.
*rant over*

Avian
24-06-2005, 20:37
I have some of their orcs, they are cheap and comparable in quality to most GW minis a few years ago (and to what some other GW miniature makers might aspire to *coughchaosogrescough*).

made_of_metal
24-06-2005, 21:02
some of it is nice, esspecially the stuff that is a bit more original. the combat droid was kinda cool in its own way.

but come on, they can at least have a few more of thier own ideas....

Chuffy
24-06-2005, 21:03
It really annoys me when people call somebody a GW fan-boy just for collecting the models and playing the game and occassionally defending something they do. I think it's an unfair stereotype.

As for the whole 'GW ripping other people off' well name one game system, movie and book which doesn't. Most of our ideas today come from old Greek Stories etc. One of the things I like about though is that they do what Tolkein did, draw upon lots of different stories and combining them into one whole making some awesome universes and worlds for their games.

I love the Warhammer world, it has Germans, Arabians, Italians, Orcs, Ogres, Daemons....lots of awesome stuff, none of those things are original on their own, however as a whole they are extremely cool. Same with 40k, Orcs and Elves? They've been done before. BUT IN SPACE!?

On the other hand Space Dwarves.....the less said about surfer midgets the better.

Cacodemon
24-06-2005, 21:59
It really annoys me when people call somebody a GW fan-boy just for collecting the models and playing the game and occassionally defending something they do. I think it's an unfair stereotype.

Nope, fan-boy is someone who ALWAYS defends EVERYTHING that GW does. If GW releases an ugly model, the fan-boys cheer it as a masterpiece. If GW releases an unbalanced list, fan-boys say it is the gamers' fault that there is overpowered armies. If GW raises prices, the fan-boys are only too happy to pay the price.

Chuffy
24-06-2005, 22:45
Nope, fan-boy is someone who ALWAYS defends EVERYTHING that GW does. If GW releases an ugly model, the fan-boys cheer it as a masterpiece. If GW releases an unbalanced list, fan-boys say it is the gamers' fault that there is overpowered armies. If GW raises prices, the fan-boys are only too happy to pay the price.

No I am aware of that, however it annoys me when people get called a GW Fanboy for liking anything related to GW, no matter how small or insignificant.

Baggers
24-06-2005, 23:25
Buy the way Ororf the Halfing was orginally Frodo as they had the liscence, and then lost it to GW. So they changed the name on all the models.

The one and only James
25-06-2005, 01:07
Wow, I was not expecting this many replies, and such off topic ones at that. Well, on topic or not, thanks for the replies. Yes, I do agree most of the range is crap. But, I'll only be buying the war machines from the Dwarf Range.

Etienne de Beaugard
25-06-2005, 01:09
I've never really grooved on Blacktree design's stuff. There are numerous other minis companies who'ws work I prefer (Reaper, Thunderbolt Mountain, and Ral Partha come to mind.)

And since no one else will admit it, I'm a GW FANBOY!!! (Fortunately, nothing has been made for GammaWorld in years :p)

Ozorik
25-06-2005, 16:07
linkage (http://www.black-tree-design.com/productimages/fa0816.jpg)

I had exactly the same halfling model as the one on the left, only it was made by GW. Skimming through that site it is plain that they are simply copying GWs range form a few years ago.

If you are going to copy something at least try and make them look a bit different.

Ohman
25-06-2005, 16:55
If people think that the models look old it's because they are! Black Tree is the same company that used to be called Harlequin and Icon before that. Or possibly the other way around.

Most of their range is from the early nineties and I love some of their miniatures. They are very similar to 3:rd/4:th WHFB models when it comes to style and quality and mix very well with these. Highly recomended for people with old armies who are looking to expand them.

Baggers
25-06-2005, 17:36
Actually I did hear that GW sold a load of thier old moulds off a while back. How true this I dont know but could explain the similarity.

WLBjork
26-06-2005, 00:33
Looks like I'm going to have to be the conspiracy theorist then.

Black Tree Design is a secret subsidary of Games Workshop.

It has been set up to clear out all the poorer quality miniatures, or those miniatures that don't fit in with the current view of a line (Dwarfs with Swords for example).

As a result thay wont get sued.

Well, it does explain how they've been around for what, 18 months +?

:p :p :p

Edit:

I also have some BTD Dwarfs - specifically 10 of the Thunderers, possibly a Cannon as well. They look pretty good with the GW line (well, apart from that *&%^& sword on the Champion)

Baggers
26-06-2005, 09:33
Uh black tree desgin has been going for at least ten years under different names. They were previously Icon miniatures before and before that they were Harlequin Miniatures,