PDA

View Full Version : New SM Chaplain!

Asher
24-06-2005, 14:45
Found on sneak peek:

http://uk.games-workshop.com/sneakpeeks/warhammer40000/Image1.jpg

Good level of detail, nice armor but sadly lacking a dynamic pose.

Lord Setra
24-06-2005, 14:47
hmm looks a little to stationary to me, almost like a statue.

Quite unexpected as well, I wasnt expecting a new chaplain model.

Asher
24-06-2005, 14:51
Me neither. But I'm not really satisifed with he mini. The torso and loin cloth (if you wanna call it like that) look great but everithig else is rather dissapointing. The face is also kinda ugly.

Grumnir
24-06-2005, 14:54
Fair call --> not an overly inspiring miniature is it?

Good catch btw --> hadn't heard that there were gonna be new chaps til BT codex.

plasmadaemon
24-06-2005, 15:00
very static, the old style 'waving arms around and not moving' pose.

Inquisitor Maul
24-06-2005, 15:01
Plastic? *hopes for more "commander-bitz-set" platics*

Lord Setra
24-06-2005, 15:02
Is it plastic?

Or maybe it is simply a run up for the BT codex even though its quite far off.

Rabid Bunny 666
24-06-2005, 15:04
i like it despite its staticness, it shall replace my marshall anyways

its not plastic due to the pose, looks more like the bolt pistol and backpack will be seperate IMHO

panda
24-06-2005, 15:05
Nicely detailed, if somewhat underwhelming. Won't be on my 'to buy' list.

Lord Setra
24-06-2005, 15:07
Would have been nice if it had been plastic, would have made up for the stance.

Could there be a reason for this release?? Other than GW bias view for SM.:p

Rabid Bunny 666
24-06-2005, 15:12
maybe recreating all marine characters with the gothic feel?

Lord Setra
24-06-2005, 15:15
Yeah but the space marines have already had there day.

Maybe he is a chaplain to go along with the release of the assault squad or the nid hunters. Thought I believed the chaplain that went along with them was Casisus

Lostanddamned
24-06-2005, 15:18
he is to go with the release of the black templars.

panda
I thought that they were re-doing the chaplains for BTs?

x-esiv-4c
:(

I was hoping for so much more, it's really static....

Lord Setra
24-06-2005, 15:19
But there release is not until the end of the year, or is it the end of the summer.

Either way, I wont be getting him just not enough movement for me.

panda
24-06-2005, 15:21
Fits right onto GWs 6 month window, though.

Nurglitch_PS
24-06-2005, 15:23
Doesn't do it for me. Aside from the ridiculous idea with the scroll trailing on the ground between his feet there is the old GW problem with weapon handles and hands. The handle is far too thick and the pose... just try to take a water pipe and stand like this :)

philbrad2
24-06-2005, 15:29
Plastic? *hopes for more "commander-bitz-set" platics*

Doubt it. Would be cool, but I suspect he'll be metal.

Fits right onto GWs 6 month window, though.

That was exaclty my thinking. We first saw the SM sneak peeks around this time last year and BT's are due to be released in that same Q4 2005 slot. There were rumours of a Termi Chaplain from Atlanta GD (I think.) I'm expecting reports form Chicago GD at the end of July to bring much news of the new BT's.

As for the model the more I see it the more I'm unimpressed by it. Not a mega fan of the Cassius sculpt but it is at least more dynamic than this guy. Least he's better looking than Lemartes - which can't be any worse really can it :wtf: :D

:chrome:

Duymon
24-06-2005, 15:33
About time the SM have a figure like this! I'm buying one or two just so that I can chop the head and arms off and use the stationary body for a Champion or other character standing at attention like the old-school Dark Angel Captain :D

Keravin
24-06-2005, 15:36
Think I'll get one of the older ones and convert rather than this.

Now if it'd have been in plastic I might have even bought 2.

Kotobuki
24-06-2005, 15:39
What is with the recent deluge of 'Terminator' heads? Am I the only one that thinks they look rediculous?

panda
24-06-2005, 15:46
And that relates to.....?

philbrad2
24-06-2005, 15:48
Still like the Jes G Chappy's

http://www.pbase.com/brimstone/image/40949018.jpg

You can definitely see the simialrites with in the new model with this sculpt in the design studio cabinet at UKGD 2004. Personally I think this one is better, more dynamic.

Another such sculpt is this ...

http://www.pbase.com/brimstone/image/40949040.jpg

Notice the Templar cross on the tabard.

The 'green' for a BT High Marshall???? Now this model I WOULD buy.

charlie_c67
24-06-2005, 15:49
Not much.

Can't say I'm too overwhelmed by it, specially as GW have shown they can produce quality minis in the past few months. I hope the others will be better than this. Just looks...wrong! Bit like the cheerleader marine.

Vaya
24-06-2005, 15:51
Is it just me, or does this model look a lot like the gamesday 2005 special edition space marine whatchamacallit model?

panda
24-06-2005, 15:55
Nah, just you; the GD marine is much more dynamic.

philbrad2
24-06-2005, 15:59
Is it just me, or does this model look a lot like the gamesday 2005 special edition space marine whatchamacallit model?

The Cheerleader Marine ??? Hey Micky you so fine , your so fine you blow ma mind ... he Micky..... (sorry)

(say in a Geordie accent - Who knows ... you decide!! (apologies to Big Brother fans, wherever you may be :) )

http://www.pbase.com/brimstone/image/40982885.jpg

http://retribution40k.net/chappy.jpg

Head looks to be the same basic sculpt. Some stance similarities...

Nkari
24-06-2005, 16:11
Such an utterly uninspiring pose this model has, its just dull..

grizzly ruin
24-06-2005, 16:17
Philbrad, those two pictures together looks like an advertisement for

"The Emperor's Statues" Space Marine Chapter.

And the cheerleader marine needs the word "Hooray!!" somewhere on him.

Rich
24-06-2005, 16:29
Its a bit static for my liking. From what I understand though the only character model not getting a face lift is the Emperor's Champion, so there may well be more than one Chaplain in the works. Looks to me like they are showing off BTs now that they are in the 6 month window, which is good news. Hopefully we will soon get some confirmation on the BT scouts.

Flame Boy
24-06-2005, 16:34
I like how the marine has a real sense of weight, of bulk to him, but I don't like the face and the arms are just uninspired. If he was waving the Crozius as if he was gesturing in some manner it wouldn't be so bad, but he looks like he's clubbing himself over the head with it, or waving it around in circles... Give him a neon rod and you'd think he was space marine ground crew for a Thunderhawk... His battlecry: "a little to the left... now forward a bit...."

I think the legs are pretty good, but I'd have to do some conversion before I was happy with it. I prefer my Chaplains with their modified helmets anyway.

Ruskins
24-06-2005, 16:34
great sculpt, utterly crap pose. Id chop the guy in half and put the torso on some assault/death company legs personally.

Lord Setra
24-06-2005, 16:35
great sculpt, utterly crap pose. Id chop the guy in half and put the torse on some assault/death company legs personally.

Hmm I never thought of that, there seems to be a well defined line between the torso and the legs which would mean it would be easy to chop in half.

Great idea.

Cheers

charlie_c67
24-06-2005, 16:45
Would mean losing that scroll tabard which looks quite good though.

Lord Setra
24-06-2005, 16:51
Im not to sure that tabbard is a bit long and I thin is there to distract from the striaghtness of his legs.

Dr Death
24-06-2005, 16:59
The legs and the body look fairly cool IMHO, good detailing. Nice, as people have said, to have a "standing to attention" model but the arms are just a little too classic "im a miniature i have a stupid pose" for me.

Dr Death

Lord Setra
24-06-2005, 17:00
Its the Look over there pose.

Or the waving down taxi pose as well.

Cypher
24-06-2005, 17:05
The legs are just a little too static.

The other chaplain as posted by philbrad is much nicer. I'll certainly be getting one.

And that "High Marshell" is also fantastic.

MorningStar
24-06-2005, 17:13
I hope this isn't the only chaplain they are making. Obviously a step back even from the old ones. But hey at least he is aiming.

grizzly ruin
24-06-2005, 17:17
I think the legs might actually be semi-ok if it weren't for the fact that

A) he's a chaplain and should look more violent than this.

B) He's standing still, and aiming the bolt pistol nonchalantly - which would be cool as it reminds me of a lot of SM "Last Stand" artwork, where they just stand together on a hill firing - except for the fact that he is holding the crozious over his head for no apparent reason then "I'm angry for the Emperor!!"

philbrad2
24-06-2005, 17:45
I think the legs might actually be semi-ok if it weren't for the fact that

A) he's a chaplain and should look more violent than this.

Yup I agree, Chaplains lead from the front and charging at the front of their troops. Look at the Jes G originals all as much more dynamic every one of these models shouts 'Charge!" This one seems to "What are you doing over there? Stop it or I'll be forced to take action!"

The idea of changing legs is one way that could spruce up this guy. As has been said - sound sculpt - crap pose.

Rabid Bunny 666
24-06-2005, 17:47
some sawing and it'll be fine :D

Alpharius
24-06-2005, 18:01
Got to agree with the consensus here...

1) Not enough "forward movement"

2) Enough with the 1/2 metal bionic heads!

3) A Chaplain without a Skull Helmet just isn't worth buying...

4) The older metal Chaplains are all (except the "no helmet" one!) much, much better than this one, though some do suffer from the "Staring At My Weapon Syndrome" that seems to infect many models...

5) I hope that other versions are planned, because I don't see how this one improves on the past

6) Thick weapon handles! Sheesh! Reminds me of the OLD Wood Elf and NEWER High Elf plastic spearmen models!

I guess that's it...

Great Harlequin
24-06-2005, 18:05
Apparently there are alot of Chaplains that are going to be released so I would not be put off by this rather static pose. Besides most of them have been done by Juan Diaz (I think that's how you spell it anyway ;) ) And he is without a doubt one of the best sculptors on the scene.

stahly
24-06-2005, 18:19
Except for the Biovore. That sucked.
I think the two new (well, at least i haven't heard of them before) sculptors that made the tyrannic war veterans have a lot of potential, ok, some parts of the armours looked a bit akward but the heads are the best marine ones i have seen!

MonkeyKnifeFighter
24-06-2005, 18:33
except for the fact that he is holding the crozious over his head for no apparent reason then "I'm angry for the Emperor!!"

This was very funny to me, for some reason that I'm not really sure of. :D

Xisor
24-06-2005, 19:22
Again as said before, it's a nice model, it's just a very boring pose, though I do like the details :mad:

I think personally I'll be sticking with Xavier as my chaplain model...

Xisor

Nazerth
24-06-2005, 19:29
This was very funny to me, for some reason that I'm not really sure of. :D

Hahaha, me too...

Anyway, I agree with just about everything said here. Boring pose, no skull helmet = not overly exciting chaplain.

If there are indeed more new chappies, and they are posed better then this I may get one, but until then I'll just stick to converting one from the commander sprue...

Killgore
24-06-2005, 19:38
its a nice anouth model, I'd probaly buy one.

Creamy Goodness
24-06-2005, 19:45
Wow that's bad. Looks so stationary and lifeless, reminds me of a RT pose for a mini.

Is this miniature intended to only be used in dioramas perhaps? :D

Dominion
24-06-2005, 20:24
Maybe the arms come on a different spue, so you can have better arms?

t-tauri
24-06-2005, 20:35
Hmmm. Don't know the sculptor but I'm not impressed. That crozius is about six inches thick on the shaft. The pose looks strange and too still. The dangling parchment is too long and in such an odd position, as soon as he walked it'd be ripped to shreds. I much prefer the old St Jes sculpts.

boogle
24-06-2005, 21:43
thats what 1st struck me, it seems to be using the same body shape

RE Juan Diaz, this one looks more like a Seb Perbert/Felix Pangua effort (eg poor),if its a Juan, then he's slipping a bit

stahly
24-06-2005, 22:03
No, I think it isn't a Perbert/Pangua effort as they do better heads (i repeat myself but the heads of the tyrannic war veterans are the best from proportions and expression of the whole marine range) and not so bulky power armours.
I think both are from Dave Thomas, as he tends to do bulkier armours (compare the chappie with the proportions of the UM honour guard or Tigurius).

The best chappie so far is Cassius. You can even give him a jump pack when you remove the nid's head to give him a jumpy look.

boogle
24-06-2005, 22:08
your joking aren't you, Mr Fatass himself, he looks like Eric Cartman in Power Armour.

RE the Perbert/Panagua, the tyrannic War Vets are disappointing and the Vet Sgt from the Veterans box is the very worst marine done since the time of Lemartes

The Emperor
24-06-2005, 22:22
That pose IS pretty dull and uninspiring. I probably won't be getting this guy.

Also, whatever happened to having Chaplains with helmets? The Chaplain skull helmet is excellent. GW should be making more Chaplains with a skull-like helmet, rather then giving us these Chaplains with their bare heads.

boogle
24-06-2005, 22:38
That i totally agree with, that is the main part of the Chaplians ethos, the 1st and last things a Marine sees is the Skull Helmet of the Chaplain (when he is chosen to join the chapter and when the final rites are given)

theluckyleprechaun
24-06-2005, 22:42
That guy would be nice if he showed any signs of any sort of movement, and had the old chaplains helmet, mind you that would almost be an overhaul of the whole model, but its what it desperately needs.

Though the detail is nice, they just messed up everywhere else.

Ruskins
24-06-2005, 22:58
The Skull helmet isnt the be-all and end-all of a space marine chaplain, many chapters use symbols from thier own heritage rather than that of a skull, the black armor, the Rozarus and Crozus Arcanum are the chaplains badge of office, a skull helm is just to scare the enemy.

Myst
24-06-2005, 23:17
Agreed. Very....Boring.

You expect Chaplains to be dashing and zealous front liners. This lad is like "Yeah...Go over there and hit them lads...Or whatever...Sigh..."

And what is with the head? I think GW is going a little overboard with the bionic skulls lately. The haft of his weapon also looks too thick. It looks like he is having trouble holding it let alone swinging it.

Rabid Bunny 666
24-06-2005, 23:32
good diorama one though
i'm waiting to see if the other one is released

TenTailedCat
24-06-2005, 23:42
Chop his legs off and replace them with some from the new SM veterans.

panda
25-06-2005, 02:21
What I want to know is, why did they go with this mini for the sneak peek when it's obviously the weakest of the ones we've seen so far? Are the other ones special characters, or not going to be released? And if this is the one they showcase, what will the other ones look like? :eyebrows:

Nid
25-06-2005, 03:00
The feet point the wrong way for the rest of the body.

x-esiv-4c
25-06-2005, 03:23
The right foot should be at an angle, this guy has a stick up his ass. He should have a more "Zealous" look to him...
I wonder if the sculptors ever log onto warseer to get peoples reactions :)

TenTailedCat
25-06-2005, 03:37
Is this Mini by the same guy who did Shrike? He did Tigurius too and I don't like either of those models, they have a sort of rounded, almost cartoony look to them. I know he's a new sculptor, but he needs to get better fast.

x-esiv-4c
25-06-2005, 03:54
It's just that the new SM line is so dynamic. Even the termies have some movement to them now. It's a real shame that the Chaplain wasn't done better. I remember seeing some of the chaplain artwork in the new SM codex and thinking..."Damn".....

FrAnKtHeFrEaK
25-06-2005, 04:34
Yah, that's a very disappointing chaplain. I don't care though I plan on converting my next chaplain.

I can't wait, Black Templar Chaplain with twin lightning claws and a jump pack. Hits on 3+'s and can re-roll EVERYTHING on the charge!

[/drool]

EffCee
25-06-2005, 07:08
For some reason I kinda like this model, although it doesn't look very 'Chaplainy'.

plasmadaemon
25-06-2005, 07:32
conversion idea:
cut off the crozius arm, stick it back so it's pointing downwards. Then cut off the hand holding the bolt-pistol and then reposition it so the hand with the boltpistol is pointing a little bit downwards too. And then i hope the chaplain wil look-like he's taking a pot-shot with the pistol ala the end of league of extraordinary gentelmen. :eyebrows:

philbrad2
25-06-2005, 09:13
The Skull helmet isnt the be-all and end-all of a space marine chaplain, many chapters use symbols from thier own heritage rather than that of a skull, the black armor, the Rozarus and Crozus Arcanum are the chaplains badge of office, a skull helm is just to scare the enemy.

Remember the biker Chaplain is bareheaded, although the pose is significantly better even if seated on a bike. Skull helmet is not a must have, the bareheaded Jes G Chappy was one of the first Chappy models I bought and he is still my fave Chaplain model.

As to the sculptor I think these have the hallmarks of Messrs Harrison/Thomas personally. Juan Diaz's sculpting has come on leaps and bounds over the years. And finally, yes, that SM Vet Sgt in the Vet set is one of the ugliest ****'s ever to grace 40K but to compare him to Lemartes or Cortez *Sideshow Bob stylie URRGGGHHH* is a bit harsh.

PLASMADAEMON - I wouldn't even both converting him I'd simply buy one of the Jes G Chaplains, cracking pose, bucketloads of detail what more could you want. As with Tigurius the new model is no where near as good as the original IMHO.

Imbroglio
25-06-2005, 09:17
I was really hoping that any further new SM characters would be boxed sets a la the Commander, which is awesome. The only hope now is that they are producing a line of Chaplains, perhaps in a similar way to the new Wood Elf range in fantasy, with 3-4 different figures to represent the different character models.

Unless something better turn up however, I may well be cobbling tiogether my own jump pack chaplain...

Regards,

-- Imbroglio

aznsk8s87
25-06-2005, 11:18
I was really hoping that any further new SM characters would be boxed sets a la the Commander, which is awesome. The only hope now is that they are producing a line of Chaplains, perhaps in a similar way to the new Wood Elf range in fantasy, with 3-4 different figures to represent the different character models.

Unless something better turn up however, I may well be cobbling tiogether my own jump pack chaplain...

Regards,

-- Imbroglio

actually i was hoping the same thing; possibly have a chaplain and librarian in the same plastic box. (knowing GW they'd throw in only one torso and one set of legs and tons of extra bitz to distinguish...). a whole line of chaplains wouldn't be bad... unless they all turn out like this one :mad:

Brimstone
25-06-2005, 11:54
Jonathan =][= don't spam, either contribute to the thread or don't post at all, that's why your post has been deleted.

Jonathan =I=
25-06-2005, 11:58
Sorry about that but I wasent spamming. I was just about to edit it to include more info related to the subject.
I normally post like this its just that the mods are not normally faster then me. ;)

Its always good to have fast mods but couldent you have waited untill I wasent still on the same page?

The chaplain itself is ok I guess there have been some better ones and some worse ones made. This proberly fills in the mid ground.\
On a side note I am glad to see I made a sig :p

x-esiv-4c
25-06-2005, 13:36
I am wondering if a chaplain with a helmet might bave been better? You know a "Skull" one.

Rabid Bunny 666
25-06-2005, 13:41
assault marine legs maybe?

l;ooks suitably LOTDish

devolutionary
25-06-2005, 15:36
You know, I think he'd look great if mounted in a LRC turret. Have him holding an Auspex or something similar, brandishing his Crozius while yelling obscenities in the name of the Emporer... hell, if I was sitting in one of those beasts, I'd be doing the exact same thing.

You could then convert up a second model to represent him on foot when disembarked. That's just a secondary idea though, to the whole "I gotta Crusader!" idea.

Other than that, the legs are classic, though in a Tom Jones kind of way rather than Mozart. I think the positioning of the pistol takes away from it too. I don't like the actual curve of the arm. Having his weapon more to his side might improve the model, in that he would seem to be commanding rather than charging in a half ass fashion.

But hey! it's better than anything I could ever do :p

Mojaco
25-06-2005, 15:55
Yeah but the space marines have already had there day.
Every day is Space Marine day.

Looks okay if it wasn't a chaplain, but it is and thus it doesn't look good. This guy wouldn't inspire people to uphold the honour of the chapter. The concepts posted earlier are far better in that regard.

The arms are somewhat of an odd combination. If he's aiming his opponent is still far off, but somehow he feels compelled to raise his other arm. As many have said before, an uninspiring look.

mattjgilbert
25-06-2005, 21:20
That is truly awful. But I guess you have to have the odd bit of dross now and again just to cement the fact that most stuff citadel produces is great. Perhaps he is modelling the power armour for a SM catalog, the Eagle Armour summer collection or something.

conversion idea: convert your money into a different figure ;)

The design teams spend a large amount of time getting the models to feel alive these days. So what happened here? This looks like a sneak peek from 15 years ago!

Pertinax
25-06-2005, 21:35
But there are several models being released at the same time. At least 2 other Chaplains, if I remember correctly.

Lets hope they are not so stationary.

Asher
25-06-2005, 21:37
But there are several models being released at the same time.....

Around Chrismas that is, right?

Sgt John Keel
25-06-2005, 22:00
The entire model looks too bulky IMO. And it's just weak of the sculptors to use a banner top for the Crozius Arcanum.

Regarding those GD Chaplain/Captain. Were there not a picture of yet another Chaplain, or do I remember incorrectly?

/Adrian

aznsk8s87
25-06-2005, 22:13
i haven't seen this GD model; where can i find it?

Falkman
25-06-2005, 22:21
Regarding those GD Chaplain/Captain. Were there not a picture of yet another Chaplain, or do I remember incorrectly?

/Adrian
Nah, I remember it too, it seemed like a much better model, more dynamic, not like this one.

boogle
26-06-2005, 05:49
i'd like to see a chaplain that doesn't have a pistol in his hand but is wielding his crozius 2 handed and in a charging pose, it wouldn't be good for conversions, but it would look cool as hell

Brizzle
26-06-2005, 06:30
At the LA Battle Bunker, I've seen the new chaplain models. There are at least three others, and I would have to say that this is the weakest looking one. The others (if I remember correctly) are much better posed with the skull helmets. One even has a crozius and a power fist. One is painted and it looks pretty sick. I would post pics, but they don't allow them.

philbrad2
26-06-2005, 13:31
Around Chrismas that is, right?

It was mentioned by one poster having spoken to GWMO that all the BT range would be out and in the shops prior to Xmas 05- although not confirmed, that would make sense, Xmas being GW's biggest period for sales. That'll leave a bit of gap up to easter '06.If so, perhaps other races have some new goodies coming?? possibly even the mooted first of 3 codex releasesfor 2006??

Samoth
26-06-2005, 13:37
At the LA Battle Bunker, I've seen the new chaplain models. There are at least three others, and I would have to say that this is the weakest looking one. The others (if I remember correctly) are much better posed with the skull helmets. One even has a crozius and a power fist. One is painted and it looks pretty sick. I would post pics, but they don't allow them.

Any chance of a better description? Pose? Bling? Weapons?

Scythe
27-06-2005, 10:02
That's an extremely dull model. He almosts looks sad...

Imho the old models were better. Hopefully the other chaplains look better as this one.

Pworm
27-06-2005, 12:22
I think it IS dull, static, boring etc But it's also a very nice sculpt, and worth buying just for that. Besides, I can think of a couple of ways to pull a better pose out of it, although it may take some effort.

Martin

Asher
27-06-2005, 12:39
Well, ultimately we can use this chaplain as scenery. Put it onto a soccet and paint it gray voilā you get a perfect statue.

Pworm
27-06-2005, 12:55
Or as a new addition to an already full bitz box, with all the other unused Chaplains. :rolleyes:

Martin

Alpharius
27-06-2005, 13:30
Good call Luke..er.. Asher!

It would make an awesome statue!

I promise, this will be the last time I say this, but, none of the Chaplains previewed to date come close to matching ANY of the "old" Jes Goodwin models...

Has anyone seen the Terminator variant yet?

Karhedron
27-06-2005, 14:30
I tend to agree, distinctly lacklustre so far. IMHO, none of the models redone so far match Jes Goodwin's efforts from 10 years ago. The only really cool model from the last round of special characters was Lysander.

Dante
27-06-2005, 15:19
I tend to agree, distinctly lacklustre so far. IMHO, none of the models redone so far match Jes Goodwin's efforts from 10 years ago. The only really cool model from the last round of special characters was Lysander.

You donīt like Marneus Calgar..?

static grass
27-06-2005, 15:41

I think this is a fair statement although Shrike would have been a lot cooler if it wasnt for that strange bird relief on the chest.

Even so it is pretty harsh to judge a mini just from a picture you do actually have to hold it to get a proper impression but from the image the body is just too rigid for those arms. I am just happy my marines finally have chaplain with a toilet roll dispenser.

Alpharius
27-06-2005, 16:50
Agreed - Lysander was very nice (and now will rightfully figure in Librarian - Chaplain -Commander - Terminator conversions from now until the molds break!)...

The new Marneus is OK (the King of Bling Terminator), but it is rather telling that they didn't even try to "improve" Jes' old power armored version...

Aenarion
27-06-2005, 17:47
The new Marneus isn't that bad, though the old one is still quite good. This new chaplin looks like a cross between drunk punch and the GD mini, I don't think I'll be purchasing one.

Karhedron
27-06-2005, 20:52
You donīt like Marneus Calgar..?
Nope. Something about holding both arms out from his body in the pose doesn't look right as you can only look in one direction when you are firing. They should either have had one gun/fist in a shooting pose and the other raised for clobbering (as in the original version) or they should have aimed both fists in the same direction (a bit like Cypher is posed with his pistols).

Either would have produced a cool pose but the current one just lacks focus.

I think this is a fair statement although Shrike would have been a lot cooler if it wasnt for that strange bird relief on the chest. It isn't really that which bothers me, again it is the pose. They have tried to capture Shrike as if he is mid-way through a swipe with his lightning claws. Trouble is they he is too upright for that motion to be believable, instead he looks like he is trying to catch something.

I know it is possible to repose metal figs (I have done it myself) but it is a lot of hard work that shouldn't be neccessary. What I liked about Jes Goodwin's figures was that they generally captured movement quite well. Some of the current sculptors just don't seem able to convey movement convincingly in their models.

t-tauri
27-06-2005, 21:38
I know it is possible to repose metal figs (I have done it myself) but it is a lot of hard work that shouldn't be neccessary. What I liked about Jes Goodwin's figures was that they generally captured movement quite well. Some of the current sculptors just don't seem able to convey movement convincingly in their models.
All the more amazing when you think that Jes's sculpts were generally moulded in one piece and are very flat and two dimensional in their posing. Still the best, despite the improvements in moulding technique. I just wish JG did a few more minis these days.

Wolf Scout Ewan
27-06-2005, 21:39
I really really hate that figure.... sorry:(

MrAhrens
28-06-2005, 09:39
IS it just me, or does the bird head on the "banner top" of his crozius, have more similarities with a duck or a swan than an actual eagle? Getting the beeks right shouldn't IMHO not be all that hard.

Otherwise, giving the model more movement and rescuplting the crozius to a thinner, more sinister version would make this model very nice.

Nazguire
28-06-2005, 10:29

But it is a stereotypical image of the Chaplain. When most players think of Chaplain, they don't think of him swinging his big stick, nor do they think of his shimmering little force field doo dad, they think of him in his skull or wolf skull (Space Wolves) bellowing prayers and hymns

Alpharius
28-06-2005, 12:51

Agreed!

The older Jes sculpts did have a sense of movement that worked.

What GW has done since to try and avoid "Static" poses has, for the most part, been quite laughable.

I think most of the minis that look good have that "striding forward" look to them. A perfect example here is the new Terminators. The walking forward legs are great (and recall the nice metal Assault Terminators). The arms and legs akimbo poses, not so great.

When they really try to emphasize motion, well, it usually doesn't work (i.e., Striking Bunnies and High Kick Berzerkers)...

Honestly, you think it wouldn't be too hard to look at what works and what doesn't...

L.Hutz
30-06-2005, 03:56
Hmmm, might make a decent statue for city center scenery - easier to paint that way too :rolleyes:

x-esiv-4c
30-06-2005, 04:02
AHHH good point L.Hutz, never even thought about using the chaplain as a statue! And I was looking for something like that too.